***Official Scotland v Georgia Match Day Thread***

rmreido

After Saturday's magnificent victory against Norway, we need follow this up with another 3 points, its not going to be easy, Scotland don't do easy.

Georgia have been a bit of a bogey team for us in the past, so we need to be totally switched on, this is going to be a lot harder than most people think, they have some decent players, so we can't underestimate them. 

Quietly confident, we'll get the win, but, this is football, can't take anything for granted. 

C'mon Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 make it happen

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• periodictabledancer

• Hearts007

• Naisys Tackle

Lord Beni of Gorgie

With the Hampden roar, and a bit of thunder and lightning in the air, the atmosphere will actually be electric

Play McGinn as a forward, we'll win. Play him in midfield, we'll struggle. Same as it always is!

I expect some changes. Saturday was a shift, and in that heat, then being tues rather than Wed for recovery. Gilmour maybe? He looked good when he came on. Hard to drop Dykes, but he might be tempted simply as i say cos if the shift he put in saturday.

If Tierney out, i hope we go back 4

Gunn

Hickey

Porteous (due to lack of options)

Hendry

Robertson

Gilmour

McTominay

McGregor

McGinn

Shanks

Armstrong

Samuel Camazzola
9 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Play McGinn as a forward, we'll win. Play him in midfield, we'll struggle. Same as it always is!

I expect some changes. Saturday was a shift, and in that heat, then being tues rather than Wed for recovery. Gilmour maybe? He looked good when he came on. Hard to drop Dykes, but he might be tempted simply as i say cos if the shift he put in saturday.

If Tierney out, i hope we go back 4

Gunn

Hickey

Porteous (due to lack of options)

Hendry

Robertson

Gilmour

McTominay

McGregor

McGinn

Shanks

Armstrong

Isn't Porteous suspended? 

The Goalscoring Knee

How many bookings is it before a suspension in Euro qualifiers? Porteous has picked up two already

EDIT: I see Sammy C has already asked the question

Edited by The Goalscoring Knee

Cooper will come in for Porteous I'd imagine.

Don't think we will see much change from the Norway line up. 

Won't be a pretty match. It'll be a noticeable end of season affair but three points is well within this lots capability.

2-0 scotland. Both second half goals.

8 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Isn't Porteous suspended? 

Ah didnt know. Def back 4 then. Hendry n cooper

Edited by TheBigO

Hackney Hearts

Only 1 defeat in their last 15 matches sounds impressive.

Although that includes matches against Gibraltar (twice), North Macedonia (twice), Mongolia, Kosovo, Uzbekistan, Albania and Bosnia-Herzegovina....

The standout result is a 2-0 win over Sweden (and to a lesser extent a 5-2 win away to Bulgaria).

The 1 defeat was 3-0 to Morocco.

In any case, they certainly deserve the cliché label "NO MUGS".

Georgia certainly no mugs but they had the rub of the green against Cyprus. 

Cyprus could and should have been in front before Georgia got their winner. 

Just about recovered from the trip to Oslo, tomorrow night against Georgia does give me the fear, 

Two very tight home wins against them in previous meetings and they are a lot better side now than they were then.

5 minutes ago, RudiSkacel51 said:

Am I correct in saying if we win this we've officially qualified?

No, very much wrong. 

RudiSkacel51
8 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

No, very much wrong. 

Guess that pissed guy in the pub on saturday night wasn't the most reliable source 😂

looking forward to this but they are our absolute bogey team. Hope we see Shanks at some point but Clarke doesn't change much that often. Would love it if he started.

Porteous like most of our defence has been decent for the national team. Also think he'll move to a bigger club. 

Only one goal conceded in this campaign. And due to a dodgy penalty.

Ferryjambo99

Win and we're 8 points clear with 4 games to play. Albeit 3 of those being away games. 

Also worth noting seedings for the Euros are worked out on points in qualifying rather than coefficient 

Luckies1874

I have 2 spares if anyone wants them.

South Stand Upper, Section Q3. £35 each. Tickets can be sent by PDF upon receipt of funds. 

Absolute Scenes
30 minutes ago, RudiSkacel51 said:

Guess that pissed guy in the pub on saturday night wasn't the most reliable source 😂

Joe Savage?

Luckies1874

As for the match I think it's possible we see hardly any changes depending on how guys have recovered. A lot of the guys who started on Saturday are amongst Clarkes most trusted and deserve to be so. That said it wouldn't surprise me to see Armstrong and Gilmour involved for Christie and ANother. Tierney might be a doubt though he looked ok after the game so it may have been precautionary or that he just hasn't played a lot of 90 minutes. 

A fast start would be great in this one, try to make this as straightforward as possible. I think we are riding a wave so I'll go 2 or 3-0 Scotland. 

Luckies1874
46 minutes ago, RudiSkacel51 said:

Am I correct in saying if we win this we've officially qualified?

No we can't qualify with 12 pts but we now have a definite target of 16pts that would see us certain to qualify. It's highly unlikely we would even need that many so a win tomorrow, in what is arguably our easiest remaining match would be another huge result. Worth bearing in mind that on match day 5 we play in Cyprus and Norway don't play at all. In short winning both these games will see us packing our bags for Germany. 

Absolute Scenes

hope to see Shankland. Think he can offer something different to Dykes. Dykes was fine against Norway, but dont like the long ball tactics

1 hour ago, Hannibal said:

Just about recovered from the trip to Oslo, tomorrow night against Georgia does give me the fear, 

Two very tight home wins against them in previous meetings and they are a lot better side now than they were then.

I think we also improved mate..we  fight to the death. Never giving up attitude.. c'mon Scotland.. easy win..  

Gorgierools

Anyone know when the venue for the Spain away game will be announced. I've just taken a chance and booked accommodation in Seville but there is still no definite. Even if it is Seville,as rumoured, which stadium? There's 3 good ones.

LochcarronJambo
18 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Would happily settle for a 1-0 win. Three points is all that matters.

Me tae, any sort o win will be very acceptable, c’mon Scotland 

Gorgierools
1 hour ago, Sarah O said:

No, very much wrong. 

I think we'd need at least 5 points after that to be sure.

This lot are ranked right next to a team we struggled to overcome in a few games, Israel. Expecting a similar match with our quality as a team showing in the end. I'd go as far as to say eventually extricating ourselves from tough battles against Israel was one of the key moments in our growth.

If we can shake off the cobwebs and use the atmosphere to go at them quickly with more attacking intent than our containment strategy against Norway, our belief and drive might unsettle them early doors. 

Would love to to see Shanks on at some point and McGinn pushed very advanced in the middle to do what he does best. 

14 minutes ago, Gorgierools said:

Anyone know when the venue for the Spain away game will be announced. I've just taken a chance and booked accommodation in Seville but there is still no definite. Even if it is Seville,as rumoured, which stadium? There's 3 good ones.

Supposedly its somewhere in Andalucia as they have been guaranteed a game, wish they would hurry up and announce it!!!

With Scotland hopefully seeing more of the ball and creating more chances, this could be the perfect game for Shanks.

Not too bothered about Porteous' absence - his temperament makes him bombscare material. He hasn't been that bad for Scotland, though Hibs improved after he travelled south.

Usually Scotland would get pumped by the Diddy teams after beating the better teams. Not this time. Win on Tuesday, and then away to Cyprus we're off to Germany. 

:yas: 

We're a very good outfit now.

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

This lot are ranked right next to a team we struggled to overcome in a few games, Israel. Expecting a similar match with our quality as a team showing in the end. I'd go as far as to say eventually extricating ourselves from tough battles against Israel was one of the key moments in our growth.

If we can shake off the cobwebs and use the atmosphere to go at them quickly with more attacking intent than our containment strategy against Norway, our belief and drive might unsettle them early doors. 

Would love to to see Shanks on at some point and McGinn pushed very advanced in the middle to do what he does best. 

Stick his arse into someone and fall over to win a free kick? 🤷‍♀️

Gorgierools
1 hour ago, Hannibal said:

Supposedly its somewhere in Andalucia as they have been guaranteed a game, wish they would hurry up and announce it!!!

They had one in malaga not so long ago so I guess it's either Seville or Granada. Don't understand the delay in announcing it.

The Old Tolbooth

The Georgians are no mugs, that's for sure, but we have a 100% home record against them, and they have a 100% home record against us also, maintaining our home record is all that's needed in this instance as I'm hoping the result doesn't matter by the time we need to go there. 

When I used to see what Michael O'Neil was achieving with a bunch of players with a lot less quality than what Scotland have, I used to crave for someone to come in and create that club mentality for Scotland, and I was bitterly disappointed when the SFA refused to pay the release clause for O'Neil, but in Steve Clarke, we have a manager now who has done exactly that, and we're heading places! The future is looking decent as well. 

Luckies1874
4 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

I have 2 spares if anyone wants them.

South Stand Upper, Section Q3. £35 each. Tickets can be sent by PDF upon receipt of funds. 

Tickets gone. Thanks for responses. 

We're winning the whole thing. 

And I cannae wait. 

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Even if we were to lose tomorrow, we’d still be a point ahead of what might otherwise have been regarded as a very respectable start, for example:

Cyprus (h) - win

Spain (h) - draw

Norway (a) - draw

Georgia (h) - win

I’m sure most people would have accepted the above when the fixtures were announced. But we’re now in unusual territory for Scotland - very hard to beat, making the most of goalscoring opportunities and every single player working his socks off. Clarke has done a tremendous job so far. The long-suffering pessimist in me can’t avoid the feeling that the wheels might come off tomorrow, but if we keep playing with the same belief, objectively it’s hard to see.

5 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

hope to see Shankland. Think he can offer something different to Dykes. Dykes was fine against Norway, but dont like the long ball tactics

Neither goal was remotely close to long ball.

Absolute Scenes
10 minutes ago, db211833 said:

Neither goal was remotely close to long ball.

The goals weren’t but did feel like we were playing long balls to dykes at time

11 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

The goals weren’t but did feel like we were playing long balls to dykes at time

Sort of agree, but I definitely wouldn't describe us as a long ball team. Even with Dykes in the team. At home especially. 

4 hours ago, Gorgierools said:

They had one in malaga not so long ago so I guess it's either Seville or Granada. Don't understand the delay in announcing it.

I'm guessing Seville.....have Spain ever played an international in Granada? Emailed the SFA today and tbc was the reply 🤷 Granada would be excellent 3 hour drive from my nephew's apartment....Seville about 5 hours as someone mentioned Malaga was done recently. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Sarah O said:

We're winning the whole thing. 

And I cannae wait. 

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

That's the spirit 😃

7 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Dykes was perfect for the one up front role away from home. Shanks wouldn't have done much tbh. Not his game being a lone striker, he lacks a bit of pace for that. Much different playing at home though. Wouldn't be surprised to see a more attacking formation with Shanks possibly playing from the start, in a deeper role, with Dykes up top. 

34 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

That's the spirit 😃

But what spirit has Sarah been drinking 🍸 .. I love the confidence too mate. Very refreshing 👍 

will-i-am-a-jambo
8 hours ago, Gorgierools said:

No idea, lve booked flights to Madrid 2 days before and after the game as it's really central and hope to get a train wherever the venue is. 

Gorgierools
35 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

No idea, lve booked flights to Madrid 2 days before and after the game as it's really central and hope to get a train wherever the venue is. 

I used to live in Madrid, brilliant city. If,as is most probable,it is Seville, then the train from Madrid is comfortable,fast and reasonably priced.

Georgia will be quite difficult to play against, can see a nervy 1-0 win here. If we win this though, we pretty much have 1 foot in the tournament I would say, follow that up with a win over Cyprus and we are effectively qualified.

Samuel Camazzola
16 hours ago, Gorgierools said:

Could well be Las Palmas. They are due to go back there soon. 

Valladolid is mentioned as their last home game.