• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• Mikey1874

• The Real Maroonblood

That thing you do
33 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I think we should be paying attention to the experts on this one. Taken from The National:

FACE masks will not help the general public fend off coronavirus, Scotland's national clinical director said.

Professor Jason Leitch said surgical masks can be useful to stop the spread of the disease through droplets if worn by those who have contracted or for healthcare workers dealing with people showing symptoms of Covid-19.

But he said there was no evidence to support claims the masks will stop people from contracting the disease.

He told BBC Radio Scotland's Good Morning Scotland programme: "The global evidence – and we've looked properly, I promise you – is that masks in the general population don't work.

Thats exactly what I said

Its not to stop you getting it

It protects others if you have it 

You wear a mask to protect vulnersble people from you 

JudyJudyJudy
44 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

:rofl:

So why make them ‘mandatory’? Surely everyone was testing all the time, as directed. So the only folk that were/are wearing masks should be the ones with the Wuhan Flu. Which means they were breaking the law by leaving their place of self-isolation. 

Mask wearers = disease-spreading killers. 

Non-mask wearers = safe and clean. 

And here endeth my public safety announcement. 

Yep 

On 28/01/2024 at 10:27, ri Alban said:

Sturgeon should have vaxxed all Scots and denied the vaccine to every hoosejock and stuck them in a building all together.  

But I suppose I'll need to do what's needed when the time comes. That's going on the assumption Big cats will eat rotten meat. 

Tick Tock!!! Brits born in Scotland,  yer fecked when the time comes. 

Some top input from the resident nut job

What are the odds on Nazi Nic have a complete memory lapse when she faces the enquiry this week?

Mikey1874
2 hours ago, Bindy Badgy said:

One of the several miscommunications during Covid.

Masks were actually to protect other people, not yourself.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

One of the several miscommunications during Covid.

Masks were actually to protect other people, not yourself.

Was it a deliberate miscommunication though? 

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

What are the odds on Nazi Nic have a complete memory lapse when she faces the enquiry this week?

Popcorn at the ready . The KC won’t take any of her bullshit 

Mikey1874
4 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Was it a deliberate miscommunication though? 

Not deliberate, though if you look at how the dangers of meeting indoors due to asymptomatic transmission, as opposed to the probably irrelevant 'washing your hands' didn't become widely talked about and advertised until June 2020, communication wasn't great as the powers that be were slow to understand the science.

That thing you do
3 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

So why make them ‘mandatory’? Surely everyone was testing all the time, as directed. So the only folk that were/are wearing masks should be the ones with the Wuhan Flu. Which means they were breaking the law by leaving their place of self-isolation. 

Mask wearers = disease-spreading killers. 

Non-mask wearers = safe and clean. 

And here endeth my public safety announcement. 

Because its the only way to ensure YOU if positive with covid do not infect others who may be at risk including members of your own family.

Also so that people with underlying conditions can go out and get essential items where necessary with reduced risk.

Its about your effect on others!

JudyJudyJudy
13 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Because its the only way to ensure YOU if positive with covid do not infect others who may be at risk including members of your own family.

Also so that people with underlying conditions can go out and get essential items where necessary with reduced risk.

It’s about your effect on others!

😂😂😂

On 27/01/2024 at 06:46, TallPaul said:

We know you love her I was being ironic 

I don't love any politicians, but keep punching the keyboard to put words into other people's minds*

On 27/01/2024 at 06:49, i wish jj was my dad said:

I think it's fair to say your 'irony' tends to get lost on people. 

Is it irony when it's accompanied by a bulging forehead vein? 🤔

*kinda like a supercomputer being programmed by a TG-205 ;) 

Bindy Badgy
17 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Then why were folk clogging up the rubbish heaps of the world with the wee test things?

Because the tests are not 100% accurate. Also, most people were not testing every day and it is possible to transmit it before you start experiencing symptoms.

Bindy Badgy
31 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

It was a sledgehammer to crack a nut. The vulnerable stay home and are fully supported by the apparatus of the state and their own family/friends/neighbours, the rest can get on with things and use some form of mitigation if they feel the need to do so. Straightforward and efficient. 

Instead the state(s) decided to follow China, a totalitarian dystopian government running a country in which most people wear face masks to keep warm in winter, rather than in some kind of pan-Asian kumbaya session in which they all take care of each other with love in their hearts. 

It is a massive exaggeration to compare wearing a mask to a sledgehammer. I lost count of the number of times I had driven home with it on as I had forgotten that I was still wearing it. It was at most a minor inconvenience that had the potential to save many lives.

i wish jj was my dad
3 hours ago, Bindy Badgy said:

It is a massive exaggeration to compare wearing a mask to a sledgehammer. I lost count of the number of times I had driven home with it on as I had forgotten that I was still wearing it. It was at most a minor inconvenience that had the potential to save many lives.

I was hardly an advocate of wearing masks but it's incredible the lengths some people will go to continue to express their outrage about something that was designed to (no idea if it did or not) to help open things up. I also remember the derision aimed at the poor buggers  who asked them to comply so they they could keep their businesses open. 

The inquiry should be about helping future generations learn the lessons from our experience. So it would be useful to understand whether the evidence backs up decisions like masks and more importantly the rationale behind decisions to abandon people in care homes. I suspect stuff like that will get lost in the noise with point scoring and faux outrage. 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I was hardly an advocate of wearing masks but it's incredible the lengths some people will go to continue to express their outrage about something that was designed to (no idea if it did or not) to help open things up. I also remember the derision aimed at the poor buggers  who asked them to comply so they they could keep their businesses open. 

The inquiry should be about helping future generations learn the lessons from our experience. So it would be useful to understand whether the evidence backs up decisions like masks and more importantly the rationale behind decisions to abandon people in care homes. I suspect stuff like that will get lost in the noise with point scoring and faux outrage. 

That noise was evident today with Michael Gove going on about the SNP playing politics with the pandemic response, while he he was doing exactly that with his frequent references to vaccines being the UK government's work. He was pulled up at least twice and asked why he kept referring to vaccines when this phase of the inquiry doesn't cover that topic.

21 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

That noise was evident today with Michael Gove going on about the SNP playing politics with the pandemic response, while he he was doing exactly that with his frequent references to vaccines being the UK government's work. He was pulled up at least twice and asked why he kept referring to vaccines when this phase of the inquiry doesn't cover that topic.

The first rule of propaganda is to accuse your enemy of that which you do. 

For someone so hilariously gormless looking, he's a slimy wee toad nonetheless, quite happy to sneak up on others to take them from behind but equally, he won't miss an opportunity to stab them in the front whilst looking apologetic. 

i wish jj was my dad
24 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

He's the worst kind of slippery arsehole that we have been unfortunate enough to have experience of pulling strings. He'll have tied the inquiry up to avoid addressing the issues the inquiry were set up for. 

manaliveits105

The snp did play politics with the pandemic and Scottish peoples lives - end of .

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

The snp did play politics with the pandemic and Scottish peoples lives - end of .

The selfserving Tories played politics with the pandemic and UK peoples lives and their taxes - end of.

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Still shite at trolling.

i wish jj was my dad
3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The selfserving Tories played politics with the pandemic and UK peoples lives and their taxes - end of.

Unfortunately, it's not the end of.  Our grandkids will be paying for their corruption and incompetence. Quite a legacy. 

manaliveits105
7 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Unfortunately, it's not the end of.  Our grandkids will be paying for their corruption and incompetence. Quite a legacy. 

Of the snp and Humza ain't finished yet 

get them oot .

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Of the snp and Humza ain't finished yet 

get them oot .

😂

Wait til the module on where all the money went soft lad. 

Come back then and we can have a wee chat about playing politics and corruption then.

doctor jambo
24 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Kate Forbes saying she wasn't invited to Gold Command meetings, and is surprised no minutes exist of them. 🤔

How the hell doesn't the finance secretary get invited to meetings directly involving finance?????

Also, why didn't she challenge it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-68127727

because there was an inner circle.

she was not part of this cabal.

it is pretty obvious that, as with most parties, the SNP had very few people privvy to what was actually happening.

The finances being a particularly vivid example of this- missing money, camper vans et al.

most people in the government up here had not a clue what was actually going on.

Nicola didnt feel she needed to explain herself to anyone

The Mighty Thor
40 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Kate Forbes saying she wasn't invited to Gold Command meetings, and is surprised no minutes exist of them. 🤔

How the hell doesn't the finance secretary get invited to meetings directly involving finance?????

They held them on a Sunday. 

Bindy Badgy
18 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Completely agree with you on what the aim of the enquiry should be and all of the point scoring bullshit.

Regarding the effectiveness of masks, the first three links that come up when you type 'impact of mask wearing on covid transmission' into Google:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10022328/

The results indicate that mask-wearing plays an important role in mitigating the spread of COVID-19. Widespread mask-wearing associates with an expected 7% (95% CI: 3.94%—9.99%) decline in the growth rate of daily active cases of COVID-19 in the country. This daily decline equates to an expected 88.5% drop in daily active cases over 30 days compared to zero percent mask-wearing, all else held equal. The decline in daily growth rate due to the combined effect of mask-wearing, reduced outdoor mobility, and non-pharmaceutical interventions averages 28.1% (95% CI: 24.2%-32%).

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2119266119

Using a Bayesian hierarchical model, we estimate the effect of mask wearing on transmission, by linking reported wearing levels to reported cases in each region, while adjusting for mobility and nonpharmaceutical interventions (NPIs), such as bans on large gatherings. Our estimates imply that the mean observed level of mask wearing corresponds to a 19% decrease in the reproduction number R. We also assess the robustness of our results in 60 tests spanning 20 sensitivity analyses. In light of these results, policy makers can effectively reduce transmission by intervening to increase mask wearing.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10446908/

More studies found that masks (n = 39/47; 83%) and mask mandates (n = 16/18; 89%) reduced infection than found no effect (n = 8/65; 12%) or favoured controls (n = 1/65; 2%). Seven observational studies found that respirators were more protective than surgical masks, while five found no statistically significant difference between the two mask types. Despite the ROB, and allowing for uncertain and variable efficacy, we conclude that wearing masks, wearing higher quality masks (respirators), and mask mandates generally reduced SARS-CoV-2 transmission in these study populations.

Obviously, there is some variation between the studies but, the currently available evidence indicates that masks do help to reduce the spread.

Edited by Bindy Badgy

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Aye but whit about the bloody Tories ?!!

Nucky Thompson
17 hours ago, Gizmo said:

The first rule of propaganda is to accuse your enemy of that which you do. 

For someone so hilariously gormless looking, he's a slimy wee toad nonetheless, quite happy to sneak up on others to take them from behind but equally, he won't miss an opportunity to stab them in the front whilst looking apologetic. 

Do you think the UK government even thought that the Sturgeon and her stooges were relevant enough to play politics with :lol:

Everyone outside the cult could see the SNP were playing politics from the very start

i wish jj was my dad
32 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

Completely agree with you on what the aim of the enquiry should be and all of the point scoring bullshit.

Regarding the effectiveness of masks, the first three links that come up when you type 'impact of mask wearing on covid transmission' into Google:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10022328/

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2119266119

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10446908/

Obviously, there is some variation between the studies but, the currently available evidence indicates that masks do help to reduce the spread.

I'm sure there will be libertarians who will have heard different views on facebook but thanks for sharing. 

JudyJudyJudy
30 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

It makes sense that wearing masks can help reduce the risk of transmitting or catching an airborne pathogen. 

It doesn’t make sense to make everyone wear one when their risk levels from catching said pathogen are low. 

Just my opinion. I don’t use social media other than here, so no influence from flat-earth or conspiracy theory folk, nor do I have the patience to watch nutjob YouTube videos. Just my view on how our lives ought be lived. 

PS Given the risk from other things such as yearly influenzas, why were masks never made mandatory before (and why are they not mandatory now)? Surely their efficacy would help ‘save lives and protect the NHS’ at all times?

All good points Jim 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

it is pretty obvious that, as with most parties, the SNP had very few people privvy to what was actually happening.

The finances being a particularly vivid example of this- missing money, camper vans et al.

most people in the government up here had not a clue what was actually going on.

Spot on . 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Thanks mate. I trust you weren't one of the zealous mask-wearers during those dark days of 20/21?

I was for about 6 weeks , then “ I saw the light “ I even  bleached my messages in that period .  What a dumbo . But I woke up fairly sharp ish to it all and feel vindicated  now. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

TBF, I bleach my entire body if I have to go anywhere other than Waitrose.

Oh I don’t feel as daft now . 

i wish jj was my dad
2 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

It makes sense that wearing masks can help reduce the risk of transmitting or catching an airborne pathogen. 

It doesn’t make sense to make everyone wear one when their risk levels from catching said pathogen are low. 

Just my opinion. I don’t use social media other than here, so no influence from flat-earth or conspiracy theory folk, nor do I have the patience to watch nutjob YouTube videos. Just my view on how our lives ought be lived. 

PS Given the risk from other things such as yearly influenzas, why were masks never made mandatory before (and why are they not mandatory now)? Surely their efficacy would help ‘save lives and protect the NHS’ at all times?

I don't know whether masks made any difference tbh and I certainly don't enjoy wearing them but I didn't get hung up on that or vaccines or anything else designed to get us back to some kind of normality. 

I wasn't affected much by civid in the sense that I didn't lose anybody. Nor was i particularly worried about being infected but I was worried about infecting folk who didn't enjoy my good health and the reatrictions certainly did feck up my way of life.  So I just wanted it over. If masks and vaccines helped - great. I'd rather the inquiry focused on that and more importantly decisions that saved or cost lives. If it influences politicians not behave like arseholes in the future that's a bonus. 

23 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

IMO, mask orders were the not-so-thin end of a rather blunt wedge used by leaders who, when out of their depth and having to 'wing it', proved that their instinct was to distrust the general public's ability to manage themselves and instead inflict a series of, sometimes illogical and even contradictory, sets of rules that even those designing them had not intention of sticking to or, for that matter, fully understanding.

In short, I won't have someone who doesn't trust me tell me what to do.

Well said

28 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I don't know whether masks made any difference tbh and I certainly don't enjoy wearing them but I didn't get hung up on that or vaccines or anything else designed to get us back to some kind of normality. 

I wasn't affected much by civid in the sense that I didn't lose anybody. Nor was i particularly worried about being infected but I was worried about infecting folk who didn't enjoy my good health and the reatrictions certainly did feck up my way of life.  So I just wanted it over. If masks and vaccines helped - great. I'd rather the inquiry focused on that and more importantly decisions that saved or cost lives. If it influences politicians not behave like arseholes in the future that's a bonus. 

It was the masking up of schoolchildren long after that smacked of the shite Jim Duncan posted about.

We can all disagree about the ins and outs but the easy way we were controlled is a marker about everything really.

i wish jj was my dad
11 minutes ago, Ked said:

It was the masking up of schoolchildren long after that smacked of the shite Jim Duncan posted about.

We can all disagree about the ins and outs but the easy way we were controlled is a marker about everything really.

I honestly don't think it was about 'control', bud. If it was then go after the evidence behind the decisions.  If it doesn't stack up put them on the spot. It really isn't difficult to trip up lying winkers.partucularly if you have KCs and proper journalists on the case. Not scandal chasing arseholes. 

Fwiw, I was appalled at the prospect of masking kids and without any knowledge whatsoever I'm sure they were 99% safe from long term harm. But their relatives and grannies weren't. 

8 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Do you think the UK government even thought that the Sturgeon and her stooges were relevant enough to play politics with :lol:

Everyone outside the cult could see the SNP were playing politics from the very start

You and the point Blank Template - Imgflip

doddsyJR9
10 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Even worse than the camper van, memory loss, deletion of information, cover ups, missing money, the real Nicola hate against ordinary folk was - letting the Greens brigade in. Thank you very much Nicola, and to Tony Blair, the architect of power against the people. Well done Tony, job done ya clown.

Edited by doddsyJR9

3 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I stubbed my toe this morning. Blamed Tony Blair.

Good. The man’s a green commie.