Pre season friendlies - Leeds on 30/7 ( updated )

Micky

It is a bit frustrating as I want to book the Saturday night somewhere, but can’t until the day is confirmed. Staying in Leeds Friday night, possibly Saturday too. McAvoy in an interview after Plymouth game said they are playing Wigan and Fleetwood next week, so not sure why nothing official isn’t out there. There is still nothing on the Wigan site. 

I’m a Leeds rhino fan, so going to Leeds game on Friday night then want to kill 2 birds with one stone and hopefully go to Wigan game on Sunday, then drive up the road. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Mikey1874

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Chuck Berry

Fleetwood - I recommend the Strawberry Garden Pub and Bistro! Great beer, food and staff!!

PS in the spirit of openness & honesty I’ve been there once!!!

Nice stadium

IMG_2206.jpeg

IMG_2207.jpeg

IMG_2208.jpeg

The Treasurer
23 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Away games maybe but It was well into July before we heard about home games, a weeks notice for some. How hard is it to organise these months in advance 🤷🏾‍♂️?

Apart from overseas tours and training camps, teams don't tend to finalise details of games until they start training and look at what level of opposition they think would be beneficial to the team 

Anyone going to Ferguson park today for the B team friendly? Anyone got any idea who will feature for us?

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Apart from overseas tours and training camps, teams don't tend to finalise details of games until they start training and look at what level of opposition they think would be beneficial to the team 

That’s not true at all, we’ve organised friendlies for years with plenty of notice, far more than these last two years. 

tynietigers
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Loads of Leeds fans have already booked hospitality. Been told they will sit together. 

Strange as we have only sold40 seats so far 🤔 and none are from Leeds

1 minute ago, tynietigers said:

Strange as we have only sold40 seats so far 🤔 and none are from Leeds

Loads of Leeds fans in Scotland 

tynietigers
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Loads of Leeds fans in Scotland 

All 40 must of booked in to the Gorgie then 😂👍🏻

The Treasurer
25 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

That’s not true at all, we’ve organised friendlies for years with plenty of notice, far more than these last two years. 

People seem to forget that the object of preseason friendlies is to get the team match fit, not to give fans a couple of days on the piss in some random shithole in England 

Pasquale for King
44 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

People seem to forget that the object of preseason friendlies is to get the team match fit, not to give fans a couple of days on the piss in some random shithole in England 

Im not personally bothered about a jolly to be honest but businesses in Gorgie need a few weeks notice to prepare, thankfully we have that with the Leeds game although Scotland v Italy at Murrayfield the day before makes it a hectic weekend. 

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Im not personally bothered about a jolly to be honest but businesses in Gorgie need a few weeks notice to prepare, thankfully we have that with the Leeds game although Scotland v Italy at Murrayfield the day before makes it a hectic weekend. 

I expect that will be our only home friendly 

tynietigers
1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

I expect that will be our only home friendly 

It’s looking more like it ☹️ we are struggling to get a game with who we want on that date 👍🏻

Lord Beni of Gorgie
9 hours ago, bigdav said:

Cracking picture of Tynecastle in the Yorkshire Post there. 

Screenshot_20230708-073357_Samsung Internet.jpg

Phil Hay will make sure. Now with Athletic but very popular journalist with a passion for both Hearts and Leeds 

6 minutes ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

Still no one ITK about Wigan or Fleetwood?

The club have bee incredibly poor at communicating with the supporters this close season.

12 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Whether the club like it or not , some of us enjoy a couple of days on the piss, even if it is in a random shithole

It also creates a sense of community in the fans.

Doctor FinnBarr
45 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Whether the club like it or not , some of us enjoy a couple of days on the piss, even if it is in a random shithole

I do random shiteholes quite well, don't see the problem TBH

Selkirkhmfc1874

Game day though, it's only friendly but looking forward to wee day out at the footy ! Looking forward to seeing some of our youngsters getting some minutes but most of all looking forward to seeing Beni and Boycey back out on the grass

Portable Badger
2 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Game day though, it's only friendly but looking forward to wee day out at the footy ! Looking forward to seeing some of our youngsters getting some minutes but most of all looking forward to seeing Beni and Boycey back out on the grass

I’m hoping Beni picks up from where he was pre-ACL - imo our best player

I know my expectations are slightly unrealistic but hopefully he gets up to match sharpness quickly

The Treasurer
6 hours ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Well go to Blackpool then and let the club get on with preparing the team for the start of the season. 

No idea what you mean by a "sense of community "

The communication from hearts the last few months has been very poor but it’s odd that we are playing fleetwood and Wigan and both those clubs have failed to mention anything about the games too. Beginning to think they’ll be behind closed doors at training centres instead of at their stadiums. 2 days until fleetwood and a week until Wigan. Not enough time to get tickets etc organised unless it’s a cash gate. Will enjoy Dunfermline today and probably have to put the weekend plans for Wigan on hold next week 😞 

The new West End
9 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

I believe the fleetwood and Wigan ones are behind close doors

Heard that last week

Chuck Berry
3 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Well go to Blackpool then and let the club get on with preparing the team for the start of the season. 

No idea what you mean by a "sense of community "

This is probably an example of it, AFCW are fan owned like us with a similar approach towards how the club is run (ie mostly hands off), however that doesn't mean the board/players don't engage with their owners  (AFCW are in a training camp in Spain and playing Reading there)

https://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/2023/july/spain-tour-round-up-fans-and-bayzo-combine-for-a-memorable-night/

Chuck Berry
10 hours ago, daveyhmfc said:

The club have bee incredibly poor at communicating with the supporters this close season.

In many ways we still operate as if privately owned, not fan owned. Still think those on the board haven't quite got to grips with the concept.  Comms are awful.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, KyleLafferty said:

I believe the fleetwood and Wigan ones are behind close doors

Since I will be in Fleetwood, if I ring the bell and bring some biscuits, will they let me in?

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, Chuck Berry said:

In many ways we still operate as if privately owned, not fan owned. Still think those on the board haven't quite got to grips with the concept.  Comms are awful.

I also think that a lot of the fans haven't quite got to grips with the concept either 

Chuck Berry
5 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

I also think that a lot of the fans haven't quite got to grips with the concept either 

You asked what was meant by "sense of community", that was an illustration from another fan owned club.  That kind of engagement should be achievable (Hearts said nothing about gaining entry to our game in Spain, whilst our opponents were tweeting info about it, helping their fans).

AFCW's comms with fans is also light years ahead of us where - as it stands - we have no idea who we'll be playing until 30th July. Basic stuff.

Chuck Berry

Listening to McAvoy's post match interview, it sounds like next weeks games are closed doors and fans wont get to see the team again until Leeds. That's 3 weeks away.  Utter shambles.

henryheart

Hearts website states following today's match that "McAvoy is hoping Hearts can build on aspects of the performance in the coming days as they head south for two closed door friendlies."

Frank McAvoy quote from interview reported on Hearts website;

“Next week will be a big week for us. Two big games down south …..”

I assume he knows what he’s talking about!

However feels like the football and commercial parts of the club are disconnected …. What are the two big games??

2 minutes ago, henryheart said:

Hearts website states following today's match that "McAvoy is hoping Hearts can build on aspects of the performance in the coming days as they head south for two closed door friendlies."

Thanks - tbh I never picked that up on the first reading!!

I don’t understand why it’s left to the manager to communicate these things. I would have thought someone in the PR / Marketing team would have taken the lead.

Why is McAvoy making these decisions?

Tom Hardy’s Dug

What a shambles we actually are.

Folk stood up for Romanov but now we’re behaving like some sort of part time tin pot lower league club.

I get friendlies are for fitness, give players a run out etc but I am slightly concerned how we don’t have enough games planned before the first game of the season.

You want to go into the first game firing and ready to go. The fact we have so few games, doesn’t fill me with much hope that we will play our strongest 11 for a couple of games. You want to build a bit of momentum and confidence before the season starts. (Few wins would also help this) winning becomes a habit. 

obviously the lack of new signings doesn’t help as you would also like to think a few of them will potentially be in the team for the first game. I just don’t want us playing our fifth game of the season, on 6 or 7 points, and still not know what our best team is and trying to gel 4 or 5 new players. I know Beni came In late and walked straight into the team and didn’t look out of place so this isn't always the case. 

i am not at panic stations like other posters as I do have faith and believe we will bring in some quality. I do however think we need more games so the players are fully match fit for the start of the season.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
22 minutes ago, 5jambo1 said:

I get friendlies are for fitness, give players a run out etc but I am slightly concerned how we don’t have enough games planned before the first game of the season.

You want to go into the first game firing and ready to go. The fact we have so few games, doesn’t fill me with much hope that we will play our strongest 11 for a couple of games. You want to build a bit of momentum and confidence before the season starts. (Few wins would also help this) winning becomes a habit. 

obviously the lack of new signings doesn’t help as you would also like to think a few of them will potentially be in the team for the first game. I just don’t want us playing our fifth game of the season, on 6 or 7 points, and still not know what our best team is and trying to gel 4 or 5 new players. I know Beni came In late and walked straight into the team and didn’t look out of place so this isn't always the case. 

i am not at panic stations like other posters as I do have faith and believe we will bring in some quality. I do however think we need more games so the players are fully match fit for the start of the season.

Dont care what anyone says last seasons pre seasons games set the tone for our season.

For example I kept saying that our defence looked an utter shambles in pre-season.

It did and it was for the rest of the campaign.

Results - who cares but failings in the structure of the team. Key.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Frankie McAvoy from nowhere to being manager! How did he manage that? 

He must be the most underwhelming appointment since Dud Stendel!

and what’s Naismith doing now he’s had his botty spanked and told he’s not making decisions?

Chuck Berry
1 hour ago, henryheart said:

Our first home league fixture is 5 weeks away and between now and then we can watch Hearts against Leeds and St.Johnstone away (if you can get a ticket) and that's it, unless we get drawn at home first leg in the Conference League qualifier but that's only 3 days before the Killie game.

Surely we'll organise a game for 23rd where we can actually go.

Chuck Berry
13 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

Our first home league fixture is 5 weeks away and between now and then we can watch Hearts against Leeds and St.Johnstone away (if you can get a ticket) and that's it, unless we get drawn at home first leg in the Conference League qualifier but that's only 3 days before the Killie game.

Saturday 22nd July, the following teams are idle in the League Cup: Ayr United, ICT, Raith, Kelty, East Fife, Clyde, Spartans and Forfar.

tynietigers
18 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

Are we not drawn at home first due to being not seeded 🤔

Chuck Berry
31 minutes ago, tynietigers said:

Are we not drawn at home first due to being not seeded 🤔

I don't think it works that way, not entirely sure, and assuming H*bs progress to that round, then we can't both be home the same day.

Edited by Chuck Berry

Lord Beni of Gorgie

If I'm being honest closed doors is the best way to carry out pre season bar the last week before 

On 09/07/2023 at 00:41, Doctor FinnBarr said:

Phoned Wigan this morning. Closed door match. I am totally gutted as this eS an easy one for me.

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, tcjambo said:

Phoned Wigan this morning. Closed door match. I am totally gutted as this eS an easy one for me.

Damn

On 09/07/2023 at 00:41, Doctor FinnBarr said:

Wigan game is Sunday 16th with a lunchtime ko