Pre season friendlies - Leeds on 30/7 ( updated )

Micky

25 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Depending on where we are going for preseason training there is usually bounce games organised with teams who are in the same location. 

Remember the last one ended in a punch up 

Was that not a winter training camp rather than pre season? South of Spain.

Edit: your point stands though.

Double edit: it was December 2022 near Marbella against Almeria. 👍 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/9869902/hearts-friendly-almeria-abandoned-fight-chaos/

Edited by graygo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Mikey1874

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Pasquale for King

150th year for the following clubs

HMFC

Aston Villa

Bolton Wanderers

Dunfermline

Greenock Morton

Hamilton FC / Academical 

Macclesfield Town

Would be a decent variation of opponents all at different levels for pre season friendlies. 

Has there been any confirmation of where we are going for a pre season tour / training camp? Hearts live was cancelled due to the first team squad going abroad so I'd guess we have confirmed dates/location?

Potentially Germany if there is any talk of playing Bayern? Total guess though 

Armageddon
On 29/05/2023 at 22:17, Dick Dastardly said:

A rematch with Almeria would be class

Hahaha totally forgot about that, did a Cochrane not get sent off there too?? FFS 😂

My favourite pre-season was when we played at Gillingham & Millwall ..

and the previous season when we played at Southampton 

Edited by Jambo-Fox

1 hour ago, dazajmbo said:

HMFC

Aston Villa

Bolton Wanderers

Dunfermline

Greenock Morton

Hamilton FC / Academical 

Macclesfield Town

Would be a decent variation of opponents all at different levels for pre season friendlies. 

Has there been any confirmation of where we are going for a pre season tour / training camp? Hearts live was cancelled due to the first team squad going abroad so I'd guess we have confirmed dates/location?

Could have fun with an 1874 cup game knockout tournament against them all. But there’s only 7 so let’s forget Hamilton. 

Pasquale for King

Hopefully we can these announced soon after we know when we are playing in Europe, more notice than last years would be good. 

34 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Got a soft spot for Gillingham, as I used to go down there every year to play sport with the Uni. 

Even took the English trophy back across the border twice :smuggy:

A Shoreditch Heart
2 hours ago, dazajmbo said:

HMFC

Aston Villa

Bolton Wanderers

Dunfermline

Greenock Morton

Hamilton FC / Academical 

Macclesfield Town

Just a thought, but I remember going to our Centenary game against Spurs in '74 and it would be good to play them again either this or next Summer. There were quite a few pre season meetings between the teams in the sixties and early seventies and this might be the time to revive that fixture maybe...

14 hours ago, Dunks said:

FFS - I've booked my flights :sob:

Can always try and get a tour of the Volkswagen factory. About all there is to do in Wolfsburg anyway. :) 

Francis Albert
9 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Enjoyed all those. Wasn't Southampton our first game after the 98 final?

Even wee English team fans can be patronising though. I remember Millwall fans on the train from the gound commenting on the size and passion of our support saying that we probably looked on the game as a big game in Europe. I refrained from comparing Millwall's European experience and record with ours.

Francis Albert
9 hours ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

Just a thought, but I remember going to our Centenary game against Spurs in '74 and it would be good to play them again either this or next Summer. There were quite a few pre season meetings between the teams in the sixties and early seventies and this might be the time to revive that fixture maybe...

I remember the crowd for the 1974 game against Spurs was pretty meagre. As most of our crowds around that time were. If we do play them again then we could make it for the Dave Mackay Cup

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I remember the crowd for the 1974 game against Spurs was pretty meagre. As most of our crowds around that time were. If we do play them again then we could make it for the Dave Mackay Cup

We should invite Bobby Seith back for a cameo. 

I believe that a friendly with Newcastle was mentioned as part of the Kuol Deal. Oh how we ****ed up that relationship! Probably won't happen now.  

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

We should invite Bobby Seith back for a cameo. 

Are you deliberately trying to depress those of us of a certain age, Dave

First you talk about the football in the mid seventies and now you throw the name of Seith into the mix.

davemclaren
Just now, The Treasurer said:

Are you deliberately trying to depress those of us of a certain age, Dave

First you talk about the football in the mid seventies and now you throw the name of Seith into the mix.

He's still alive I believe. Things had looked pretty good in 73/74 but 10 straight defeats early on in 74/75 resulted in his departure.  

The Treasurer
14 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

He's still alive I believe. Things had looked pretty good in 73/74 but 10 straight defeats early on in 74/75 resulted in his departure.  

Season 73/74 started with a 4-1 win in the derby followed by a 3-0 win at Ibrox.

Things started to go downhill not long after that

11 hours ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

The hibs of the south. 

davemclaren
47 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Season 73/74 started with a 4-1 win in the derby followed by a 3-0 win at Ibrox.

Things started to go downhill not long after that

Happy days. 🥸

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, dazajmbo said:

The hibs of the south. 

Harsh. I had a soft spot for Spurs back in the day partly down to Dave Mackay but also Danny Blanchflower and others in what was a very attractive side in the early 60s.

But a on a more shallow level because on black and white television Arsenal looked like Hibs.

PapaShango
3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Harsh. I had a soft spot for Spurs back in the day partly down to Dave Mackay but also Danny Blanchflower and others in what was a very attractive side in the early 60s.

But a on a more shallow level because on black and white television Arsenal looked like Hibs.

I also have a soft spot for them, more so because I have a few mates from London when I used to work there that are big Spurs fans. They have been through it over the years especially when Arsenal were winning leagues and cups and they were floundering around no mans land in the league. 

Dick Dastardly
17 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Hahaha totally forgot about that, did a Cochrane not get sent off there too?? FFS 😂

Yup. He clipped a guys heels then two Almeria players went for him, if i remember correctly. Aaron Darge also flew in with a haymaker. Good times

7 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Even wee English team fans can be patronising though. I remember Millwall fans on the train from the gound commenting on the size and passion of our support saying that we probably looked on the game as a big game in Europe. I refrained from comparing Millwall's European experience and record with ours.

No that was Charlton.

Southampton was a few years later.

9 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

It was the week after the 86 final. We won 3-2 and that was a lost weekend. Bus left on the Friday night so we arrived early Saturday morning, spent all day on the lash then left Southampton when the pubs shut on the Saturday night. Can’t remember when I got home but the next thing I knew was my alarm waking me on the Monday to get up for work. Good support down as well with the usual trouble at the game as there was back in the day.

cousinsofnoone

Posted 10 minutes ago
  10 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

It was the week after the 86 final. We won 3-2 and that was a lost weekend. Bus left on the Friday night so we arrived early Saturday morning, spent all day on the lash then left Southampton when the pubs shut on the Saturday night. Can’t remember when I got home but the next thing I knew was my alarm waking me on the Monday to get up for work. Good support down as well with the usual trouble at the game as there was back in the day.

IT WAS 1976,  Ralph Callachan with a curled wordy.

Francis Albert
12 minutes ago, cousinsofnoone said:

Posted 10 minutes ago

It must have been a good weekend!. Three different years quoted! But London Hearts say 1976 and I will go with you and them. It was at their quaint old ground The Dell which had good mixture of different shaped and sized stands

Edited by Francis Albert

39 minutes ago, cousinsofnoone said:

Posted 10 minutes ago

You are correct it was a mistype from me. Defo 76….

TorinoJambo
On 29/05/2023 at 11:29, Jambo92 said:

Sounds like there's a big home one for the 150th anniversary - will probs end up being Bolton or something though.

Bolton opened the current Tynecastle I think. Sounds good. I have Bolton mates too.

Lot of debate about Southampton

July 2009

played at Southampton & lost 3-0

July 2010

played at Gillingham & won 2-1

played at Millwall & won 3-2

NB also played at Southampton May 1976 (one week after cup final. However I wasn’t there)

And the only game I remember after the 1986 final (which has been referenced) was the following  May 1987 (!!) vs Watford in the Steve Sherwood testimonial, a big Hearts support was there that night 

8 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

And the only game I remember after the 1986 final (which has been referenced) was the following  May 1987 (!!) vs Watford in the Steve Sherwood testimonial, a big Hearts support was there that night 

IMG_1960.jpeg

IMG_1961.jpeg

Chuck Berry

What's the scores on the doors?

B team away to Dunbar and Preston Athletic

First team away to Dunfermline Athletic

That it so far?

The new West End
On 31/05/2023 at 19:22, MMHearts said:

What a trip ...they won the FA cup the week before and we lost ours.

Plenty bother before and after the game .. Southampton fans ran over the pitch to get to us then got chased. 

The new West End
On 02/06/2023 at 00:20, Jambo-Fox said:

That was another great trip

Watford fans were amazing to us.

No mither and were so delighted we had all travelled

south morocco
On 02/06/2023 at 13:53, Albert McFly said:

Dunfermline away July 9th

Good news! Always a good trip!!

On 31/05/2023 at 08:37, Locky said:

Can always try and get a tour of the Volkswagen factory. About all there is to do in Wolfsburg anyway. :) 

I’m sure we’re going to Spain again for pre season training this year but not sure if it’s the same place as last year. Can’t see us playing anyone in Deutschland but you never know. We’ll need to prepare LF for Europe so maybe there will be a few games somewhere abroad 🤷‍♂️

17 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

I’m sure we’re going to Spain again for pre season training this year but not sure if it’s the same place as last year. Can’t see us playing anyone in Deutschland but you never know. We’ll need to prepare LF for Europe so maybe there will be a few games somewhere abroad 🤷‍♂️

May well end up being Wolfsburg in Spain to be fair, but I was led to believed it would be in Germany. Whatever works best I guess.

WheatfieldWarrior
On 31/05/2023 at 16:31, PapaShango said:

A pre-season friendly away to Tenerife in late July would be good! 

We can only hope... probably end up a bounce game at the oriam vs Clachnacuddin tho.

On 31/05/2023 at 09:26, Francis Albert said:

Around 13k  , the programme cover was actually red… wtf !!

IMG_0550.jpeg

• davemclaren changed the title to Pre season friendlies - Leeds on 30/7 ( updated )