Marti Cifuentes

Trigger

3 hours ago, ...a bit disco said:

He's on a 3 year deal and just qualified for Europe.

As far as I can tell they qualified for Europe months ago by finishing 3rd in the 2022 season.

This season so far they're in 10th place with 12 points from 10 games with 2 wins in their last 9.

Overall his record seems to be:

Sandefjord

S1: Took over mid-season when they were bottom, 6 points from safety and they finished bottom, 8 points from safety.

S2: Promoted in 2nd place.

S3: Finished 11th out of 16.

Aalborg

S1: Took over mid-season when they were 10th and finished 7th.

S2: Left mid-season when they were 4th. They went on to finish 3rd.

Hammarby

S1: Finished 3rd, 8 points off the top.

S2: Currently in 10th place with 3 wins in 10.

I'm no expert in Scandinavian football, but does his record really set him apart from Neilson? Or even Stephen Robinson for that matter? Finishing 3rd with Hammarby seems to be his best achievement but that looks to have fallen apart now.

Unfortunately we're unlikely to attract any guaranteed successes which is why I'm unenthusiastically leaning towards Naismith at the moment.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Agentjambo

• soonbe110

• kingantti1874

• GinRummy

4 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Does that matter now? I'm not sure it does. Jose Mourinho's playing career peaked in the Portuguese fourth tier... 

One of the daftest things about Scottish fitba - the idea that needed to be a pro player to be any good at coaching/management.

Lone Striker
8 minutes ago, Dayman said:

I feel like Naismith will be a manager next season, wether it’s with Hearts or not. He’s got a taste for managing a first team and won’t want to go back. 

Thats a good point.  If we bring someone in from outside (who then brings his own assistant & coach), Naisy will start looking around for a management job elsewhere imo.

One factor the club needs to consider though is if they intend to offer it to Naisy, will they also have to offer the assistant role to McAvoy ?    If so, who do they bring in to run the academy ?   

Interesting to see the film of yesterday's stramash seeming to show McAvoy being quite calm and trying to pacify a few Hobos.

5 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Thats a good point.  If we bring someone in from outside (who then brings his own assistant & coach), Naisy will start looking around for a management job elsewhere imo.

One factor the club needs to consider though is if they intend to offer it to Naisy, will they also have to offer the assistant role to McAvoy ?    If so, who do they bring in to run the academy ?   

Interesting to see the film of yesterday's stramash seeming to show McAvoy being quite calm and trying to pacify a few Hobos.

He was quoted as saying he doesn’t see the e point in going back to manage the B team now(or something along those lines).

I kinda interpret that as him saying “I’m ready to be first team manager” but I suppose it could be “I’m ready to be an assistant at Hearts”.

He must have been fairly annoyed watching the other first team coaches frustrating results whilst he wasn’t even involved with the first team.

9 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

One of the weakest reasons for giving Naismith the job - he might leave if he doesn't get it.

Ricardo Quaresma
37 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Does that matter now? I'm not sure it does. Jose Mourinho's playing career peaked in the Portuguese fourth tier... 

All I can find is a team so small it's not on Soccerway, for one year, 2009-2010

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Does seem as if he is on an upward trajectory….

Of course if he got it ahead of Naismith he’d have to bat off the usual Scottish xenophobia in the msm.

hmfc_liam06
45 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

As far as I can tell they qualified for Europe months ago by finishing 3rd in the 2022 season.

This season so far they're in 10th place with 12 points from 10 games with 2 wins in their last 9.

Sandefjord

S1: Took over mid-season when they were bottom, 6 points from safety and they finished bottom, 8 points from safety.

Aalborg

Hammarby

I'm no expert in Scandinavian football, but does his record really set him apart from Neilson? Or even Stephen Robinson for that matter? Finishing 3rd with Hammarby seems to be his best achievement but that looks to have fallen apart now.

Unfortunately we're unlikely to attract any guaranteed successes which is why I'm unenthusiastically leaning towards Naismith at the moment.

This is where I am.

I tend to think it's unlikely that the club will take a risk again. Having rightly or wrongly being badly burnt by the Stendel appointment.

I like Naismith's style of play and although he's inexperienced in this role and will undoubtedly make mistakes, he's my choice for the role as it stands.

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, DC_92 said:

Sandefjord

Aalborg

Hammarby

let’s be honest.  Most of this board have no idea who he is, what style he plays and no idea if he’d be a good candidate or not.

they just see an exotic name and that’s them sold.  😂 

Cameronstheman

All sorts of names will appear Re the Hearts job

Member the Hibs Manager list for the little man  he was not even mentioned, that was funny as f51k 

Edited by Cameronstheman

InternationalJambo

Ajax youth coach. Millwall youth coach. Several Spanish teams youth coach. Cut his teeth in Scandinavia as a manager playing an attacking 433. I would be excited about this if it happens as it seems he’s ready for the step up.

Edited by InternationalJambo

AlphonseCapone

I have no idea who this guy is and it amazes me how many folk apparently do and would be excited. Admittedly I have poor knowledge of football beyond Scotland and the bigger clubs in Europe. 

1 hour ago, DC_92 said:

Sandefjord

Aalborg

Hammarby

There are lies, damn lies and statistics.

Taking the stats from Wiki, if we extrapolate his points record (Overall) to 38 games, we would finish with 54/55 league points.

Looking just at his Hammarby points haul and adjusting to 38 games we would finish with around 72 points.  (Hope my arithmetic is correct.)

At first glance the latter figure would probably ensure 3rd place most seasons but as you infer, it would be unwise to make a direct comparison with Scottish football which is different anyway but also  because of the top half/bottom half split which would be skewed even further when you take into account the weegie ref influence.

My conclusion: Not convinced either way

Edited by JamboAl

InternationalJambo
Just now, JamboAl said:

There are lies, damn lies and statistics.

Taking the stats from Wiki, if we extrapolate his points record (Overall) to 38 games, we would finish with 54/55 league points.

Looking just at his Hammarby points haul and adjusting to 38 games we would finish with around 72 points.  (Hope my arithmetic is correct.)

At first glance the latter figure would probably ensure 3rd place most seasons but as you infer, it would be unwise to make a direct comparison with Scottish football which is different anyway but also  because of the top half/bottom split which would be skewed even further when you take into account the weegie ref influence.

My conclusion: Not convinced either way

People have been crying out for an up and coming manager. He may be the one. We won’t get any better with our budget. 

Agentjambo
2 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

People have been crying out for an up and coming manager. He may be the one. We won’t get any better with our budget. 

What’s our budget??

InternationalJambo
Just now, Agentjambo said:

What’s our budget??

Not enough for a manger on over 8k per week, that’s for sure. 

Agentjambo
4 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

Not enough for a manger on over 8k per week, that’s for sure. 

Who’s on over 8k per week?

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Good chance he knows Eva. Not that means anything other than she can give him some insight about us.

jamboinglasgow

In regards to Naismith if Cifuentes got the job, he currently has two assistant coaches, one is another Spanish coach who joined him at Hammarby, the other is a Serbian coach who was already at Hammarby taking what is effectively their B team. So I can imagine having Naismith as an assistant coach wont be a problem for him.

Obviously though it comes down to whether Naismith even wants to take a role that isn't manager, in the Scotsman today it does seem he doesn't want to go back to B coach (to be fair I think if he doesn't get the role, he wont be short of job offers from Championship clubs or below, question is does he hold out for higher.)

As for Cifuentes himself being manager, he is a fascinating option, certainly a manager who is on the up (was heavily linked to QPR job earlier in the year.) Seems to play exciting football, has pushed teams to punch above their weight. Though at the same time this season they are not doing as well (though looking on comments online, there is a mix of fans blaming him or saying its the recruitment sides issue.) With Naismith there is positives, he has got us really attacking, has got some players playing much better, talks well about wanting to progress young players, speaks well in interviews, but at the same time there is still issues, defence looks a shambles (I know it was before,) away from home has not been as improved, for all the talk of youngsters from Naismith since he has taken over he has not handed 1 minute of game time to an Academy player. But I know these all have caveats.

Point being I dont envy who at the club is due to make the decision. Hiring Naismith would be popular, but if a few months into next season we are not performing well, the board and Savage will be criticised for not going for an experienced manager. If it is Cifuentes or a manager like them, then I certain you will get fans and people in the media having a go at the club for betraying Naismith after everything he has done in the last seven games, and again if things struggle in the earlier part of next season you will have those people saying you should have gone with Naismith.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Aberdeen have sniffed about most of these and come back with Robson. 

Frankie I'm sure will have been watching Naisy closely, having worked with Neil, I'm guessing his input will decide whether Naismith gets it, he has the experience to offer opinion 

4 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Prefer Marti and Naismith tbh 

Read that Naismith doesn't want to go back to being a coach again. He wants to be a manager so he wont stay as a number 2

2 minutes ago, Henroddy said:

Read that Naismith doesn't want to go back to being a coach again. He wants to be a manager so he wont stay as a number 2

Could be looking for a job then.  Think he said he didn’t want to go back to the B team job.  He is number 3 with Scotland and I doubt he will pack it in. 

Watt-Zeefuik
3 hours ago, Dayman said:

He was quoted as saying he doesn’t see the e point in going back to manage the B team now(or something along those lines).

I kinda interpret that as him saying “I’m ready to be first team manager” but I suppose it could be “I’m ready to be an assistant at Hearts”.

He must have been fairly annoyed watching the other first team coaches frustrating results whilst he wasn’t even involved with the first team.

10 minutes ago, Henroddy said:

Interview last week said that he'd be fine with staying if the manager was someone he felt he could learn from. But he didn't want to hang around with someone whose style was a constant clash.

4 hours ago, Finlay James said:

Really hope that Kevin Muscat comes out of nowhere to be appointed with Naismith as his assistant.

Naismith has stated he’s ready to be a manager now, I don’t think he’ll take an assistants job. 

jamboinglasgow
23 minutes ago, Henroddy said:

Looking at Naismith's comments, I do think he is either trying to force the boards hand ("use me or lose me" type comments) or he is trying to make other clubs aware that he wants to be a manager so means other clubs may try and take him as manager. Or both. I dont think he will just leave the club if not made manager, I do think he will be an assistant but think a reasonable offer of manager comes from another club then he will take it.

This guy's record is very patchy, I think if he is the alternative, then we should stick with Naismith. We need someone who is clearly an upgrade on Naismith, otherwise i would rather stick than twist.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The sharp board meeting which I have just read about, suggests to me they will vote him in, unless they have an outstanding candidate who is already in the building so to speak 

Lone Striker
5 hours ago, briever said:

One of the weakest reasons for giving Naismith the job - he might leave if he doesn't get it.

Well yes.... but I was simply agreeing with the poster's opinion that  if he doesn't  get offered the Hearts job, he'll probably look for a  first team management job elsewhere instead of returning to our B team.   

11 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Well yes.... but I was simply agreeing with the poster's opinion that  if he doesn't  get offered the Hearts job, he'll probably look for a  first team management job elsewhere instead of returning to our B team.   

If Neilson had stayed in the job then I imagine SN would have been looking to move on and up this summer anyway.

vegas-voss
12 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

This guy's record is very patchy, I think if he is the alternative, then we should stick with Naismith. We need someone who is clearly an upgrade on Naismith, otherwise i would rather stick than twist.

Aye certainly seems like a risky one to me 

Can't see the Hearts board taking the chance with a total outsider who isn't a clear upgrade on what we already have. 

12 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Can't see the Hearts board taking the chance with a total outsider who isn't a clear upgrade on what we already have. 

What would constitute a clear upgrade?

I'm coming round to Naismith but it feels like on every metric I can think of this guy is a clear upgrade on 7 matches with 2 wins in the SPFL?

Is he an upgrade on potential? Who knows but there will never be an obvious upgrade on an intangible future outcome until hindsight enters.

frankblack
38 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm coming round to Naismith but it feels like on every metric I can think of this guy is a clear upgrade on 7 matches with 2 wins in the SPFL?

Is he an upgrade on potential? Who knows but there will never be an obvious upgrade on an intangible future outcome until hindsight enters.

What makes you think this guy would have come in and done better with a squad of players he didn't know and opposition he hadn't assessed?

Jack Torrance

I asked AI since it probably has more intelligence than any of us on here 😄 Here's what it said...

Cifuentes would be a good fit for Heart of Midlothian. He is a young, ambitious manager who is looking to make his mark on the game. He has the skills and experience to help Heart of Midlothian challenge for trophies again.

However, there are some risks associated with appointing Cifuentes. He has never managed in the Scottish Premiership before, and he would be taking on a big challenge. He would also need to be given time to implement his ideas and build a successful team.

davemclaren
10 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

I asked AI since it probably has more intelligence than any of us on here 😄 Here's what it said...

Cifuentes would be a good fit for Heart of Midlothian. He is a young, ambitious manager who is looking to make his mark on the game. He has the skills and experience to help Heart of Midlothian challenge for trophies again.

However, there are some risks associated with appointing Cifuentes. He has never managed in the Scottish Premiership before, and he would be taking on a big challenge. He would also need to be given time to implement his ideas and build a successful team.

Luckily we are a patient lot. 😄

Jack Torrance
Just now, davemclaren said:

Luckily we are a patient lot. 😄

That was exactly my thought when I read its response. Thank our lucky stars we have level headed football connoisseurs in the stands. 😄

No idea who the guy is tbh.

Like I've said previously, Naismith has demonstrated in his short spell that he could be successful as manager.

Definitely plays an exciting brand of football.

davemclaren
6 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

That was exactly my thought when I read its response. Thank our lucky stars we have level headed football connoisseurs in the stands. 😄

Does AI have a view on who we should appoint?

Jack Torrance
6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Does AI have a view on who we should appoint?

There are a number of potential candidates who could be considered for the role of Hearts manager. Some of the most likely options include:

Steven Naismith: Naismith is currently the interim manager at Hearts and has done a good job in his short time in charge. He has a strong understanding of the club and its supporters, and he is also a respected figure in Scottish football.

Frankie McAvoy: McAvoy is the current academy director at Hearts and has a wealth of experience working in youth development. He is also a former player at the club, and he would be a popular choice among the fans.

Stephen Robinson: Robinson is currently the manager of St Mirren, but he has previously managed Motherwell and Preston North End. He is a strong tactician and has a good track record of getting results.

Neil MacFarlane: MacFarlane is the current assistant manager at Hearts and has been working with the club for a number of years. He is a highly-rated coach and would be a safe option for the board.

Paul Lambert: Lambert is a former Scotland international who has managed a number of clubs in England, including Aston Villa, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Norwich City. He is a experienced manager who has a good track record of success.

Ultimately, the decision of who to appoint as the next Hearts manager will be up to the board of directors. However, any of the above candidates would be a good choice and would give the club a good chance of success in the future.

Edited by Jack Torrance

Ian Black 8

Whoever the appointment is there’s going to be fans unhappy with it. If it’s Stevie Naismith there will be moans and groans cos he is a rookie, inexperienced etc. Some will want someone else in with a bit of experience etc but if it doesn’t go well then there’s gone to be folk pointing the finger that Stevie should’ve been given the chance 🤷‍♂️ either way the board need to make a decision, stick with it and stand by it 100%. After the fall of towards the end of this season they need to get this right 

Nerja Jambo

So basically what we are saying is there are no experienced managers within our budget that we could employ. We can't appoint any one who has never coached in the SPL before albeit that was what most wanted at the start, so we'll have to appoint SN because he has improved things over 7 games and he is the best of the rest. Wonderful, how ambitious.

If we do go for Cifuentes, then I’d imagine he’d look to bring players he knows from Hammarby/Swedish league to us.

Wonder if they’ve got anyone decent there that would fit any of the tiles we desperately need…that could be a benefit to appointing him.

Personally though, I think we will go with Naismith.

Edited by Deviskan

20 minutes ago, Taffin said:

And by then it's too late!

davemclaren
10 minutes ago, Ian Black 8 said:

Whoever the appointment is there’s going to be fans unhappy with it. If it’s Stevie Naismith there will be moans and groans cos he is a rookie, inexperienced etc. Some will want someone else in with a bit of experience etc but if it doesn’t go well then there’s gone to be folk pointing the finger that Stevie should’ve been given the chance 🤷‍♂️ either way the board need to make a decision, stick with it and stand by it 100%. After the fall of towards the end of this season they need to get this right 

Who would you give the job to? 😄

All roads lead to Gorgie

I'm still with Naismith unless some outstanding name comes forward. Yes it's true he didn't get all the wins we needed but we were not far away from achieving them. The football is much better to watch but the ability to shoot ourselves in the foot by weak defending and stupid decisions at the back are still there for sure. If Naismith can sort that over the coming close season then the next campaign will be a very exciting prospect. My fear is we go for a safety first option and we are back to the turgid football again! 

Selkirkhmfc1874
22 minutes ago, Ian Black 8 said:

Spot on!

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

What makes you think this guy would have come in and done better with a squad of players he didn't know and opposition he hadn't assessed?

Who said I think that? I didn't.

I'm asking what a clear upgrade looks like if it's not significantly more experience and a better record?

Guy might do rank here, who knows. On paper though, almost anyone is a clear upgrade. Anything else is just supposition, given Naismith has almost nothing for people to compare against. Doesn't mean he'd be the wrong choice though. Just asking what sort of metric people would use to determine a clear upgrade.