***Official Rangers v Heart of Midlothian Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

3 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

St Mirren are full of confidence with a chance to pip Hibs - they won’t lose at Aberdeen who are filling their pants as we speak!

I hate having to rely on another teams results. 

Hibs next games are Celtic then us. So objectively, St Mirren have a serious chance here of finishing 5th if they can turn up at Pittodrie. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• Watt-Zeefuik

• GinRummy

• Hearts007

Just now, OTT said:

Hibs next games are Celtic then us. So objectively, St Mirren have a serious chance here of finishing 5th if they can turn up at Pittodrie. 

I also hate it but that’s the position we got ourselves in! Get 3rd and it will be even sweeter than last season!

tiger Rudi

Depending on the Aberdeen result on Wednesday of course, but I hope going into our last fixture our Aussie contingent are giving Ange and Mooy a few phone calls. We need Celtic to put on a show and be well up for their game against the sheep. 

davemclaren
55 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

If we win Wednesday Hibs are toast even with a win

True. 😄

Match Aberdeen's result on Wednesday and if we beat Hibs, Aberdeen will have to beat Celtic at Parkhead to finish above us.

4 hours ago, andi17 said:

Soapy own goal let the conspiracy theories begin :fing10:

You only went and made me think about this 'un.

Well worth watching it all, but methinks 'Agent Žaliūkas' at 2:20 on this clip did us a wee bit of a favour?

Rangers v Hearts ... Osman Sow ... Agent Žaliūkas at 2:20 ...

Ricardo Quaresma
4 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

We haven't beaten them at Ibrox in the top league in over 19 years!  

There may be some interesting dynamics in play depending on how both games are going. If Aberdeen are winning and we are drawing into the 2nd half for instance there will come a time we have to throw caution to the wind as a point won't be enough. Hopefully we will have better news than that from Pittodrie and will be producing some kind of miracle performance ourselves. There will be few better opportunities than this to go there and win. 

:orly?:

https://us.soccerway.com/matches/2012/03/03/scotland/premier-league/rangers-fc/heart-of-midlothian-fc/1117772/

Ricardo Quaresma
2 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Yep already acknowledged thought that was a Championship match. My bad. 👍

Yeah, just saw the other reply 👍

Naisys Tackle

Reckon they will do us a favour and play a few of the players that are off.  Let hope we take advantage. 

BangkokHearts

They didn't look too clever against Hibs, just had the quality.

From what I saw of the highlights, Hibs missed several decent chances. 

We must take our chances on Wednesday. 

Sorry for the duplicate thread moderators . I started this not long after we beat Aberdeen and I did not see the other one . It must have been started before the Aberdeen game and slipped off the front page . Merge it if you like 

Win this and we finish third is my feeling 

Portable Badger

Mods - can you merge the two threads. There’s another thread called “Official Sevco v Hearts” as well.

It's always hard to see anything other than a defeat at Ibrox but we might just get something here.  If we could somehow match Aberdeen's result then Saturday will be huge.

I love and envy the confidence being shown by many on here , and I wish I was able feel the same way . Sadly they spent millions they did not have assembling a very good squad , and our defence is a disorganised mess a lot of the time . I am more concerned about not getting the confidence smashed out of us through a heavy defeat and a favourable result for St Mirren 

31 minutes ago, Portable Badger said:

Mods - can you merge the two threads. There’s another thread called “Official Sevco v Hearts” as well.

Yes , please do . That was my fault I never realised there was another one as it was stated so early it slipped off the front page 😄 

PapaShango

Seen us going there far too often and getting horsed to be confident. Their keeper looked shaky yesterday but apart from that they move the ball quickly and have pace up top which will cause us problems. I want to see us playing on the front foot which can be easier said than done through there. We must retain possession better than we have all season though and defend set pieces. Last time through there, our formation was honking, with Shankland so deep and Ginnelly isolated. We looked to play them on the break and catch them out which just resulted in us struggling to get up the pitch. Big test of Naismith's credentials this one and how we line up and perform. It's a dead rubber for Rangers although their crowd will be demanding they go out and win so no chance of them downing tools. 

Portable Badger
16 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Yes , please do . That was my fault I never realised there was another one as it was stated so early it slipped off the front page 😄 

All good mate. No worries

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Seen us going there far too often and getting horsed to be confident. Their keeper looked shaky yesterday but apart from that they move the ball quickly and have pace up top which will cause us problems. I want to see us playing on the front foot which can be easier said than done through there. We must retain possession better than we have all season though and defend set pieces. Last time through there, our formation was honking, with Shankland so deep and Ginnelly isolated. We looked to play them on the break and catch them out which just resulted in us struggling to get up the pitch. Big test of Naismith's credentials this one and how we line up and perform. It's a dead rubber for Rangers although their crowd will be demanding they go out and win so no chance of them downing tools. 

Retaining possession and defending properly will be key.

You can't keep spelling the ball to them, and as we already know we are poor at defending cross balls.

However, If Gino makes it we can cause them problems up front.

Not confident, but there is hope.

I'm really looking at St mirren doing us a favour amd getting a result to keep it alive,  that is more likely. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

PapaShango
2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Retaining possession and defending properly will be key.

You can't keep spelling the ball to them, and as we already know we are poor at defending cross balls.

However, If Gino makes it we can cause them problems up front.

Not confident, but there is hope.

I'm really looking at St mirren doing us a favour amd getting a result to keep it alive,  that is more likely. 

You are probably right with your last sentence. Hopefully they can get at least a draw up there. Aberdeen are no great shakes, it just makes the fact we have thrown 3rd away even more frustrating. 

ScandinavianJambo
15 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Its why we will concede, a few probably. Just got to hope they keep missing the free headers 

Or that our boys magically grow a few inches. We are quite short in statue unfortunately....

ScandinavianJambo
18 hours ago, frankblack said:

That has been a problem all season.  Won't be fixed before the new season.

I know, but one would hope that training sessions hones in on it. That's after all what traning is for....

I'm not sure we even need to take anything from the Rangers game.

I have my doubts that Aberdeen will beat St. Mirren, and we then become favourites for third.

12 hours ago, tiger Rudi said:

Depending on the Aberdeen result on Wednesday of course, but I hope going into our last fixture our Aussie contingent are giving Ange and Mooy a few phone calls. We need Celtic to put on a show and be well up for their game against the sheep. 

They are after a goal scoring record to beat the Lions season.......I think they will be motivated!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Literally nothing to lose here, not throw the kitchen sink, but be positive.

Then I remember Beaton is the ref, and it matters not the situation, Rangers must win

colinmaroon

Odds against us but always hope, and then Beaton!!! 

Oh well, there's always my real HOPE! 

pettigrewsstylist
13 hours ago, OTT said:

That was always the danger/risk continuing with RN for St Liedoon home defeat. 

Pendulum swung away from out control there.

I guess we thought they coudnt beat OF.

John Findlay

We will need every star in the galaxy to be aligned in our favour at Ibrox Park on Wednesday night, and that will be just to get a point.

16 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

A win and it goes down to the wire. What a time to get a result through there! 🤞

It's written in the stars.

Let's hope that the stalwarts enduring the trip to Ibrox make the rest of us envious.

❤️❤️G❤️

pettigrewsstylist
10 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

We will need every star in the galaxy to be aligned in our favour at Ibrox Park on Wednesday night, and that will be just to get a point.

They havnt met Oda V2 yet tho 🙃

If we dont have a LB we are done.

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

Quietly confident about this one. Not necessarily saying we'll win, but can see us maybe sneaking a point. I'd love a repeat of the the Craig Halkett game at Ibrox last season. Especially if the news filters through that Aberdeen haven't beaten St Mirren. The scenes in the away end when big Sibbick heads home in the 94th minute. 😍

Interested to see what their team will be. Last home game of the season and if McGregor plays, his last appearance at Ibrox, so on the one hand they might look to finish on a high. On the other, a great opportunity for some of the young talents to come and get an appearance at a packed Ibrox. I'm not sure they'll start with a totally weakened side, but I do think we might see them bring a few young faces on as the game progresses. What we need to do is make sure we're still right in the game at that point.

Curious to see how Naismith approaches this too. A real test of his mettle I say, and certainly feels like a bit of an audition for him. As much as we want, and maybe need a result here, a performance is crucial too. If Naisy puts out a team to attack, and can be bold enough to take the game to Rangers, then I think it will swing a lot of people in his favour for the role permanently, should he want it. I don't want us to go gung ho and leave ourselves short, we do need to box clever. But I don't want to see us just shutting up shop and playing for a point from the get go.

Not going, but as it's on TV, I will be sat with a few beers with my arse twitching, tracking the Sheep game at the same time. I've crammed my office working days in to the start of the week so I can work from home on Thursday incase I have a couple of celebratory beverages. :ninja: 

Keep the faith. 'Mon the Hearts! :flagwave:

Nerja Jambo

Tactics already decided for us. Attack at any given opportunity as getting beat by 1 or 5 makes no difference. We have to go for the win.

1 hour ago, Nerja Jambo said:

Tactics already decided for us. Attack at any given opportunity as getting beat by 1 or 5 makes no difference. We have to go for the win.

Getting humped does make a difference as it could still come down to GD.

4 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

That was always the danger/risk continuing with RN for St Liedoon home defeat. 

Pendulum swung away from out control there.

I guess we thought they coudnt beat OF.

Very reminiscent of the Hamilton fluke win in the covid/demotion season. 

I’m not very optimistic ☹️ But here’s hoping eh! 

Hopefully we go for it. I actually don't think Rangers are that good, so as I said, I hope we go for it.

2-3 :flagwave:

N Lincs Jambo
50 minutes ago, DB-14 said:

It could but it's highly unlikely. We're 8 goals better off than the sheep and unless we lose by about 9 to the Huns and they draw against Midden I can't see us losing 3rd on GD if it's still to play for come Saturday.

Nerja Jambo
1 hour ago, DB-14 said:

It could in theory, but playing safe is the RN and CL tactic that has failed countless times in the past. Surprise Rangers by actually attacking them for once. 

6 hours ago, PapaShango said:

McGregor will be back on Wednesday for his Ibrox farewell appearance in all likelihood. 

pettigrewsstylist
3 hours ago, Locky said:

Quietly confident about this one. Not necessarily saying we'll win, but can see us maybe sneaking a point. I'd love a repeat of the the Craig Halkett game at Ibrox last season. Especially if the news filters through that Aberdeen haven't beaten St Mirren. The scenes in the away end when big Sibbick heads home in the 94th minute. 😍

Interested to see what their team will be. Last home game of the season and if McGregor plays, his last appearance at Ibrox, so on the one hand they might look to finish on a high. On the other, a great opportunity for some of the young talents to come and get an appearance at a packed Ibrox. I'm not sure they'll start with a totally weakened side, but I do think we might see them bring a few young faces on as the game progresses. What we need to do is make sure we're still right in the game at that point.

Curious to see how Naismith approaches this too. A real test of his mettle I say, and certainly feels like a bit of an audition for him. As much as we want, and maybe need a result here, a performance is crucial too. If Naisy puts out a team to attack, and can be bold enough to take the game to Rangers, then I think it will swing a lot of people in his favour for the role permanently, should he want it. I don't want us to go gung ho and leave ourselves short, we do need to box clever. But I don't want to see us just shutting up shop and playing for a point from the get go.

Not going, but as it's on TV, I will be sat with a few beers with my arse twitching, tracking the Sheep game at the same time. I've crammed my office working days in to the start of the week so I can work from home on Thursday incase I have a couple of celebratory beverages. :ninja: 

Keep the faith. 'Mon the Hearts! :flagwave:

Will it be back 4 with Hill back in? Will Kingsley make a start?

Is Gino fit?

Key questions for moi.

PapaShango
7 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Will it be back 4 with Hill back in? Will Kingsley make a start?

Is Gino fit?

Key questions for moi.

Think Naismith said all those taken off would be fit, more the fact that a few have been playing with niggles late in the season and they have taken their toll. Gino is a vital part of the way we play and gives us a great option with his pace. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Naismith’s best pre-match interview (certainly summarised version) so far is up on website.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

They are too good for our current defence. Hopefully Rangers have got their holiday heads on.

That’s true and a fair point.

Best way to avoid will be to attack then I guess.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug