Naismith In!!!!

kingantti1874

Watt-Zeefuik
1 minute ago, merseyjambo said:

FFS, Naismith has had 5 games where we have shown improvement from our performances most of the season (and I’m not even sure you can really count what happened at ER as a fair reflection of the ability to change a team).

Your hero probably oversaw 2 of the worst results in club history (Brora and Birkakara) and survived them.

I’m not completely convinced about Naismith but I’m also not sure who realistically we can target. Our salary range is in most cases likely to be for someone from the third or fourth tier of English football (most financials will give you an idea of how much managers in second tier earn and I think you’d be surprised). That leaves you with the usual suspect merry go round from Scottish football, a foreign coach which can bring its own issues about understanding the nature of Scottish football (le Guen being an example of a highly rated coach who failed - we can’t afford an Ange or Wim Jansen type) or someone who is out of work and looking to repair their reputation. Again guys like Nathan Jones are financially out of our league. Lee Johnston was out of work when Hibs took him on. Only ones in that group I can think of are Danny Cowley who has had hard times at Huddersfield and Pompey and Michael Flynn who left Newport, got taken on by Walsall and sacked less than 6 months later. 

Seeing as you’re so full of ideas, put some names you think that realistically we could attract. 

Goodness, people are absolutely bound and determined to misread what I'm saying in very plain English.

First, Neilson is not my "hero." Stop being daft. He had a history of success and that meant I was slower to give up on him than others. Likewise I'm slower to throw in with Naismith as the best option available based on 5 matches with some mixed results. I want to see if this is more than a new manager bounce.

Second, there is absolutely nothing I disagree with in your third paragraph. It's very much in line with what I've repeated over and over on this thread.

All I've said is we don't know who's expressed interest. We had no idea someone like George Burley would be interested until he left Derby in frustration and turned up at Tynecastle. I've half-jokingly suggested Graham Potter because it's pretty unlikely but not totally impossible he'd take the gig. I don't know who's interested and unless you work with the club, neither do you.

I am not going to hold Naismith totally liable for the mess at Easter Road because he'd been in charge a short time, but it's not a plus in his favor. Neither am I going to give him much credit for the game in Paisley because for a half it was back to the bad old ways, and we got shaken loose by a bit of a freaky first goal when the run of play was still against us deep into the second half. The match against Celtic was very much akin to Neilson's 4-3 loss -- hard fought and impressive at some level but still a loss. So what you're effectively asking me to do is judge Naismith as the candidate to take us into Europe and to try to solidify ourselves as the de facto third force based on two (2) *home* matches, which however impressive they were, were against relegation fodder and a wounded Aberdeen.

No. That's silly.

To be absolutely clear one more damned time, I am not closing the door on Naismith. I'm saying wait a goddamn week. FFS.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• kingantti1874

• GinRummy

• soonbe110

34 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

a wounded Aberdeen.

You keep repeating that phrase. How are they a wounded Aberdeen? They were recently on their best run for goodness knows how long including beating Rangers, which was ended by defeat at Ibrox, then a draw. They had a couple of players out, but I doubt their absentees would have made as big am impact as ours. 

Wait to the end of the season but all means, but I think Naismith is probably in the driving seat just now. 

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Forrest said:

You keep repeating that phrase. How are they a wounded Aberdeen? They were recently on their best run for goodness knows how long including beating Rangers, which was ended by defeat at Ibrox, then a draw. They had a couple of players out, but I doubt their absentees would have made as big am impact as ours. 

Wait to the end of the season but all means, but I think Naismith is probably in the driving seat just now. 

If you could have given me the option of forcing Aberdeen to sit two players for our match against them, my answer without hesitation would have been Shinnie and Duk. Those are their two best players by a distance. Shinnie makes their midfield go, and Duk is their #1 goal threat. We got to play them, at home, without their two best players. Yes, we were playing without several of ours, but we have been for most of the season now.

And the result was a 2-1 win that we had to come from behind to get. I recognize that we were rampant the whole game and absolutely shelled their goal, but the only ones that count are the ones that go in.

And to be completely clear, I am very happy about the game! It was a great performance! Naismith did a great job! But it's a long, long way for me from a good performance and giving him a two year contract and responsibility for the summer window.

merseyjambo
6 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Goodness, people are absolutely bound and determined to misread what I'm saying in very plain English.

First, Neilson is not my "hero." Stop being daft. He had a history of success and that meant I was slower to give up on him than others. Likewise I'm slower to throw in with Naismith as the best option available based on 5 matches with some mixed results. I want to see if this is more than a new manager bounce.

Second, there is absolutely nothing I disagree with in your third paragraph. It's very much in line with what I've repeated over and over on this thread.

All I've said is we don't know who's expressed interest. We had no idea someone like George Burley would be interested until he left Derby in frustration and turned up at Tynecastle. I've half-jokingly suggested Graham Potter because it's pretty unlikely but not totally impossible he'd take the gig. I don't know who's interested and unless you work with the club, neither do you.

I am not going to hold Naismith totally liable for the mess at Easter Road because he'd been in charge a short time, but it's not a plus in his favor. Neither am I going to give him much credit for the game in Paisley because for a half it was back to the bad old ways, and we got shaken loose by a bit of a freaky first goal when the run of play was still against us deep into the second half. The match against Celtic was very much akin to Neilson's 4-3 loss -- hard fought and impressive at some level but still a loss. So what you're effectively asking me to do is judge Naismith as the candidate to take us into Europe and to try to solidify ourselves as the de facto third force based on two (2) *home* matches, which however impressive they were, were against relegation fodder and a wounded Aberdeen.

No. That's silly.

To be absolutely clear one more damned time, I am not closing the door on Naismith. I'm saying wait a goddamn week. FFS.

I’m not saying that Naismith is the best option, however I do think you are being extremely harsh on him. 

New manager bounce. What is that exactly. Better performances. Check. Scoring goals. Check. Winning games. Check. Barry Robson results were not that special in reality. He beat 6 teams they would expect to win against (our record there is worse than theirs at our place).  He beat a Rangers team that had then under the cosh in the first half, which went ahead by a freaky goal then caught them while Rangers were pushing on as they needed a win. Roy Hodgson going in at Palace got some wins but still lost to bigger teams in the league. Out of the 4 games we are by your standard counting, we’ve won 2, drawn 1 and lost 1. 

The loss to Celtic was nowhere near akin to the loss suffered by RN. He might have run Celtic close but they opened us up at will. IIRC, two of our goals that day were penalties. Yes you still have to put the ball in the net but they ran out quite comfortable. Until the ridiculous sending off, Celtic had barely been in the game. To keep that Celtic side from playing football and not having a shot on target when it was 11 v 11 is in my opinion a much better performance than you are giving him credit for.

4 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

If you could have given me the option of forcing Aberdeen to sit two players for our match against them, my answer without hesitation would have been Shinnie and Duk. Those are their two best players by a distance. Shinnie makes their midfield go, and Duk is their #1 goal threat. We got to play them, at home, without their two best players. Yes, we were playing without several of ours, but we have been for most of the season now.

And the result was a 2-1 win that we had to come from behind to get. I recognize that we were rampant the whole game and absolutely shelled their goal, but the only ones that count are the ones that go in.

And to be completely clear, I am very happy about the game! It was a great performance! Naismith did a great job! But it's a long, long way for me from a good performance and giving him a two year contract and responsibility for the summer window.

Where do I even start with this. We played them off the park yet because they were without 2 of their better players, you want to taint the result and make it look like it doesn’t count. Does that mean every team who beat us should be saying it doesn’t count because they were missing Gordon, Boyce, Halkett and Baningime. Do you think fans of the other clubs care that we were without them, or care about the points on the board,

You contradict yourself. It was a great performance but a long way from a good performance. WTAF does that actually mean. The performance was a better all round than our 5-0 win earlier in the year. That result was a freak as everything we hit on target against a different poorer keeper that night went in. Roos had 2 or 3 really good stops and a couple of goal line clearances prevented it from being the result that reflected our dominance. They did their job, unlike the keeper in the earlier game.

Is Naismith the finished article, No. would I want a Robinson/McInnes/Wright character in front of him, No. Outwith that, it leaves foreign which brings its own issues as Rangers and Killie to name 2 recently have found out, a Danny Cowley type or a manager who is looking to top up his retirement fund such as Wilder. While I’m not Naismith completely in, I’m also not sure that any of those other options would be any better.

The sensible thing to do if we appoint Naismith, is do what we did with RN when we put him in position (with equally as little experience) and give him a rolling 12 month contract to start with,

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I’m with Led Tasso on this. People seem desperate to throw Naismith a bone on the basis of very little. Our board like the easy option and that’s what this would be - no onus on the recruitment department to do what they’re there to do and actually find a candidate with a track record and suitable pedigree.

Obviously it could work because there’s chance in most things but I just don’t think that in our position we should be taken that risk. Naismith needs to prove himself elsewhere, in a smaller job, before he comes into consideration 

21 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I’m with Led Tasso on this. People seem desperate to throw Naismith a bone on the basis of very little. Our board like the easy option and that’s what this would be - no onus on the recruitment department to do what they’re there to do and actually find a candidate with a track record and suitable pedigree.

Obviously it could work because there’s chance in most things but I just don’t think that in our position we should be taken that risk. Naismith needs to prove himself elsewhere, in a smaller job, before he comes into consideration 

Forget the results for a moment I’m not sure you can describe the turnaround in form/performances from a team and dressing room that was in pieces as very little to be honest. I’m still on the fence but let’s not play down the turnaround just because one or two are getting misty eyed over SN. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Forget the results for a moment I’m not sure you can describe the turnaround in form/performances from a team and dressing room that was in pieces as very little to be honest. I’m still on the fence but let’s not play down the turnaround just because one or two are getting misty eyed over SN. 

The bar was set so low under Neilson that it really wasn’t hard to give these goons a shake. I don’t see this spell as proof of Naismith being ready for the full gig 

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The bar was set so low under Neilson that it really wasn’t hard to give these goons a shake. I don’t see this spell as proof of Naismith being ready for the full gig 

I think that’s just making excuses to undermine the turnaround. I’m not saying he is the messiah, just saying I’m not sure the contrast in just about everything around the first team can be described as very little. 

6 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

You are correct, but you have to caveat at it with Gordon, Halks, Beni, Boyce, Kingsley, plus we had to bring Gino off in the game.  Heard a few Dons, and scrot-boy Robson, lamenting injuries.  Aaaaaaa-hem.  Hellooooo!  You wouldn't be within a mile of us had we had a squad all season (ok, Robbie the curveball here, but you get the point).

Anyway, you are correct, they were weakened.  But even with these players, they've done no more than scrape by and had a heap of luck on their side.  They had these players against Ross County and were 2nd best in all but the goals collum.  80 mins v St J down to 10 men and scraped a 1-0 which could easily have been different.  With Duk and McCrorie, Hibs pumped them.  Their win against Rangers (and hey its the only way to beat them realistically and we'll need same on Wed) was down to them missing sitters, could have been 3/4 down.

Aberdeen, honestly, hats off to them.  Got loads of Dons mates as it goes.  You can't deny the run of results.  We had plenty points this season we kind of scraped (though I'd say a lot of ours wre more we started a game poorly but then battled till the 95th min and got something which is both lamentable and commendable).  I've watched Aberdeen plenty the last few weeks.  They've not been that good.  Said yesterday on here, Robson and press lauding their defence - it's good in stats only.  The chances they give up game after game are unbelievable.  If St Mirren have finishing boots on on Wed, we may be OK.

Dream scenario is Dons lose their last 2 games and we get 4 points or whatever.  It'd be great for us and that's number 1, but wee soorpus Robson's contract will look lovely along side that scenario too.

8 hours ago, Forrest said:

Exactly. If they are a wounded Aberdeen then a very wounded Hearts beat them. Gordon, Halkett, Beni, Boyce all out. All starters (maybe not Boyce), and the first 3 are the clubs best players in their position. 

Mister Dee

It’s hard to measure a managers progress until they’ve had a season or so to bring players in, & implement ideas. 
I like what I’ve seen so far, but you can’t expect miracles. 

Importantly, the football is more exciting than Neilson’s defensive ‘draw at all costs’ strategy. 

If there’s an outstanding managerial candidate out there, great let’s look at that. 
But I like continuity, it’s less upheaval, better for the players -& cheaper! 

Jim Panzee

I really hope Naismith gets the job full time.

I can sense a Neilsen type split in the fanbase (well on here) already!

Kickabck will be sorted for however long Naismith is in the role for, so plenty of entertainment to be had on here 😆

The atmosphere at Tynecastle last 3 games has been great.  The fans are right behind the team but the team are giving the fans reason to be with a high tempo, exciting approach.  This is what I want to see when I rock up so if it's not Naismith then it needs to be someone who can provide the same.  I get the away form concerns but FFS away form has dogged us since I started watching in the late 60s.  It's something the new manager will need to work on but you start by being solid at home and build from there.  Whether we finish 3rd or 4th I would be happy to see Naismith get the gig.  

11 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

Kickabck will be sorted for however long Naismith is in the role for, so plenty of entertainment to be had on here 😆

Yeah maybe on here but definitely not at the recent home games

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

43 minutes ago, Dazo said:

35 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Really good debate on this and I appreciate I have probably been overly belligerent on this exact point.

If it is the case that because of Robbie:

- some players were effectively in mutiny, arguably with just cause

- some players had been effectively rejected by Robbie. We now hear rumours that he thought Cammy was a headless chicken which is why he stopped being a first pick, Cochrane wouldn’t play if Kingsley was fit, the Snodgrass thing, clearly more than meets the eye to Humphrys, etc.

it is little wonder that results dived and he had to go.

But as Robbie appeared to have created and manifested fractures within the squad, any professional player should see any change, even the appointment of an interim boss, as something that allows them to reignite their status within the team and squad. An almost instant relief when the wicked witch is dead.

People think I think or am saying that Naismith has done a bad job. I don’t. Not at all.

That said, he hasn’t done an exceptional job. Or even an excellent job. He has got us results that would be expected at home but the St Mirren game is a huge blight.

Re the Hibs game, personally I would say that not showing any particular fight (ignoring whether or not the performance was good) is a negative on his report card but I can let that go.

But the bar had become low under Neilson I get that. But that wasn’t always the case. 

I enjoyed our 6 goals against Motherwell, 5 against Dundee United (a different team last year than this) etc. Even the 5 against Aberdeen earlier this year.  

I understand what somebody said earlier - I am now acting like the people I raged against re Robbie. Fair play. I’ll tone it down.

That doesn’t escape the fact that a job interview isn’t simply a “pitch” based exercise. But even if it was nothing has happened over 5 games that sets Naismith apart from any potential option we have.

All he has done is set himself apart from Neilson on the basis of his 5 games versus Neilson’s last 10 games or so.

And yes performances in a couple of games have been excellent but I’d rather play shite in 5 games and win 3 (including the St Mirren game) than play champagne football in two games and fail pretty miserably against a very limited St Mirren team.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
17 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

The atmosphere at Tynecastle last 3 games has been great.  The fans are right behind the team but the team are giving the fans reason to be with a high tempo, exciting approach.  This is what I want to see when I rock up so if it's not Naismith then it needs to be someone who can provide the same.  I get the away form concerns but FFS away form has dogged us since I started watching in the late 60s.  It's something the new manager will need to work on but you start by being solid at home and build from there.  Whether we finish 3rd or 4th I would be happy to see Naismith get the gig.  

Apart from the hundreds of empty seats yesterday…

But that is more our failing than Naismith’s I guess.

awadooningorgie2

I think he is worth a contract which wouldn't be the end of the world if things don't work out.

Hard to see what Naismith potentially is lacking:

Motivating Players - that is there for all to see in a very short space of time. I would be concerned about his moany side if things don;t go well, that would be a pertinant point to explore in interview... perhaps off the pitch he would be smart enough to contain himself.

Identifying players - I think this guy really gets football and is smart. He has a huge amount of experience. He was credited with finding Beni..

Training players - provided he stays motivated like he is no issue, again it looks like we are seeing improvements already.

Tactics - I like th fact he has played so many games for a range of clubs - not just teams like Rangers with a stronger squad but also the likes of Everton who will have had to use every trick in the book as well as playing football. We look dodgy at the back still because we are - would be interested ti see the difference of which part of the pitch we are playing on versus pre Naismith. If the ball is in the opponents half they can't hurt us with crosses etc. and our odds go up.

Respect - so far I think he has done fine on that front but he is young.. definitely no nonesense so far though!

Standards - I very much doubt we would be seeing plyers living in England and pitching up for games... 

Wednesday will be fascinating but I do think he has one hand tied behind his back the central defensive pairing and to a lesser extent the midfield.

If a one year contract was suitable to all parties I would go there assuming no collapse in next two matches - may cost Hearts more to keep him  in the long run if he is a success but he will have also generated revenue..

1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Not sure what your point is.  Yes there were empty seats, always is at this time of year at most grounds due to holidays etc and maybe a failing of the ticket exchange process as there were plenty folk looking for tickets on Friday.  What's undeniable is the atmosphere was great.  

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Oh my 3% of our ST holders have commitments beyond football 😂😂😂😂. And we only managed to oversell the stadium by 500 ish .😂😂

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

This.

Also the lather some posters have got themselves into would be amusing to watch should he not get it 😂

Jim Panzee
39 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Yeah maybe on here but definitely not at the recent home games

yeap - correct.

however match days is just a 90 minute experience. We'd have a whole week of kickback arguing like feck - brilliant!

image.jpeg.3bafc4e3811a90f29ac9cffa87c21027.jpeg

53 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Really good debate on this and I appreciate I have probably been overly belligerent on this exact point.

If it is the case that because of Robbie:

- some players were effectively in mutiny, arguably with just cause

- some players had been effectively rejected by Robbie. We now hear rumours that he thought Cammy was a headless chicken which is why he stopped being a first pick, Cochrane wouldn’t play if Kingsley was fit, the Snodgrass thing, clearly more than meets the eye to Humphrys, etc.

it is little wonder that results dived and he had to go.

But as Robbie appeared to have created and manifested fractures within the squad, any professional player should see any change, even the appointment of an interim boss, as something that allows them to reignite their status within the team and squad. An almost instant relief when the wicked witch is dead.

People think I think or am saying that Naismith has done a bad job. I don’t. Not at all.

That said, he hasn’t done an exceptional job. Or even an excellent job. He has got us results that would be expected at home but the St Mirren game is a huge blight.

Re the Hibs game, personally I would say that not showing any particular fight (ignoring whether or not the performance was good) is a negative on his report card but I can let that go.

But the bar had become low under Neilson I get that. But that wasn’t always the case. 

I enjoyed our 6 goals against Motherwell, 5 against Dundee United (a different team last year than this) etc. Even the 5 against Aberdeen earlier this year.  

I understand what somebody said earlier - I am now acting like the people I raged against re Robbie. Fair play. I’ll tone it down.

That doesn’t escape the fact that a job interview isn’t simply a “pitch” based exercise. But even if it was nothing has happened over 5 games that sets Naismith apart from any potential option we have.

All he has done is set himself apart from Neilson on the basis of his 5 games versus Neilson’s last 10 games or so.

And yes performances in a couple of games have been excellent but I’d rather play shite in 5 games and win 3 (including the St Mirren game) than play champagne football in two games and fail pretty miserably against a very limited St Mirren team.

No you’re not saying SN is a bad manager but you’re imo undermining what he has done. Yes I’m sure there was relief by some in the squad when RN was sacked that doesn’t automatically lead to healed rifts and the type of football we are playing though. I think he deserves a lot of credit for turning it around and the way senior players have been dealt with. Yes the St Mirren game was a blip but It might just be possible that SN is a good coach with good ideas about he wants his teams to play and is able to get that across to the team. Do we think a more experienced manager won’t have blips ? I’m not foaming over him but I’m not entirely sure what else we should be looking for. 

132goals1958
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

No you’re not saying SN is a bad manager but you’re imo undermining what he has done. Yes I’m sure there was relief by some in the squad when RN was sacked that doesn’t automatically lead to healed rifts and the type of football we are playing though. I think he deserves a lot of credit for turning it around and the way senior players have been dealt with. Yes the St Mirren game was a blip but It might just be possible that SN is a good coach with good ideas about he wants his teams to play and is able to get that across to the team. Do we think a more experienced manager won’t have blips ? I’m not foaming over him but I’m not entirely sure what else we should be looking for. 

Whilst I agree it was disappointing I think many underestimate St Mirren's home form this year and have also managed to take 5 points of Celtic. They are a top six team on merit. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
5 hours ago, Jim Panzee said:

I’m definitely ready to start slating Naiclue big time.

Actually, if it’s him it’s him. I guess there’s the intrigue of the unknown, unlike Snoreson second time around.

Jim Panzee
1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I’m definitely ready to start slating Naiclue big time.

Actually, if it’s him it’s him. I guess there’s the intrigue of the unknown, unlike Snoreson second time around.

can always rely on you for the nicknames DTD!

No Idle Talk

I am impressed with his press conferences and post match interviews. He talks well and he seems to have a good grasp of how a Hearts team should play and the standards that should be expected at a club like Hearts. It isn't hard to imagine him being good at conveying these ideas and principles to the players in the dressing room. 

Wednesday night will be very interesting. Seeing how he sets the team up and if he can get a big performance from the players at a ground we usually fail to perform at. 

3 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

Whilst I agree it was disappointing I think many underestimate St Mirren's home form this year and have also managed to take 5 points of Celtic. They are a top six team on merit. 

Im not sure we underestimated them but it was a blip in terms of it really was a must win to put things in our own hands. Win that we would be sitting 3rd now with a realistic chance we wouldn’t need anything at Ibrox or at least match what Aberdeen would get away to Celtic. I’m sure that game would have been one that was pencilled in for potential 3 points. Players had a shocker first half so he has to carry some of the blame for that. 

Talks between Steven Naismith and the Hearts board will take place following the final Premiership weekend of the season. Hibs visit Tynecastle Park for the last league game on Saturday, after which Naismith and the club hierarchy will discuss the prospect of him remaining manager long-term.

Luckies1874

Despite my comments that he needs to do more to convince me that he is the way forward I can't help but warm to him given his obvious disdain for the beige and beyond mediocre job that Neilson was doing. 

BackOfTheNet
20 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Despite my comments that he needs to do more to convince me that he is the way forward I can't help but warm to him given his obvious disdain for the beige and beyond mediocre job that Neilson was doing. 

I definitely prefer my managers to walk the walk before they talk the talk, but so far Naismith’s words are being backed up by performances. And where they’ve not, he’s been refreshingly honest in any assessment rather than lay blame on other circumstances or even on the players, he takes collective responsibility. Very refreshing.

16 hours ago, Taffin said:

This.

Also the lather some posters have got themselves into would be amusing to watch should he not get it 😂

Depends who DOES get it. If we’ve managed to get a very decent experienced manager over the line, most will nod and think it was probably the right choice

If we dingy Naismith and bring in a Robinson type, I dare say a lot of folk will be fuming (rightly IMO having seen what Naismith has done in a short space of time)

Arthur Morgan

Looks very much like he'll get the job imo. Based on the comments he's made recently, talking about a long term identity. Seems pretty obvious to me.

2 hours ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Looks very much like he'll get the job imo. Based on the comments he's made recently, talking about a long term identity. Seems pretty obvious to me.

I might have been reading too much into it but when the young players got new contracts last week I thought he had been given the job. 

Watt-Zeefuik
20 hours ago, EH11 2NL said:

Exactly. If they are a wounded Aberdeen then a very wounded Hearts beat them. Gordon, Halkett, Beni, Boyce all out. All starters (maybe not Boyce), and the first 3 are the clubs best players in their position. 

20 hours ago, TheBigO said:

You are correct, but you have to caveat at it with Gordon, Halks, Beni, Boyce, Kingsley, plus we had to bring Gino off in the game.  Heard a few Dons, and scrot-boy Robson, lamenting injuries.  Aaaaaaa-hem.  Hellooooo!  You wouldn't be within a mile of us had we had a squad all season (ok, Robbie the curveball here, but you get the point).

Anyway, you are correct, they were weakened.  But even with these players, they've done no more than scrape by and had a heap of luck on their side.  They had these players against Ross County and were 2nd best in all but the goals collum.  80 mins v St J down to 10 men and scraped a 1-0 which could easily have been different.  With Duk and McCrorie, Hibs pumped them.  Their win against Rangers (and hey its the only way to beat them realistically and we'll need same on Wed) was down to them missing sitters, could have been 3/4 down.

Aberdeen, honestly, hats off to them.  Got loads of Dons mates as it goes.  You can't deny the run of results.  We had plenty points this season we kind of scraped (though I'd say a lot of ours wre more we started a game poorly but then battled till the 95th min and got something which is both lamentable and commendable).  I've watched Aberdeen plenty the last few weeks.  They've not been that good.  Said yesterday on here, Robson and press lauding their defence - it's good in stats only.  The chances they give up game after game are unbelievable.  If St Mirren have finishing boots on on Wed, we may be OK.

Dream scenario is Dons lose their last 2 games and we get 4 points or whatever.  It'd be great for us and that's number 1, but wee soorpus Robson's contract will look lovely along side that scenario too.

Of course, but Neilson was (rightfully IMO) sacked for failing to get results with that same wounded Hearts side, with the additional difficulty of not having Haring either, whom Naismith has the good fortune to have back.

We sacked Robbie and gave Naisy the interim job on the expectation that they would be better than the current Aberdeen side and finish third. We then met Aberdeen with an additional two players out for them and Haring back for us, at home no less, and came back to win by a single goal. This isn't making excuses for Robbie or dismissing the thumping performance, it's keeping the scales fair.

For me if Neilson was judged to be coming up short (and he should have been IMO), then Naismith needs to show a bit more before being given the permanent gig.

On 20/05/2023 at 21:42, ford donald said:

He has his own way,but he has observed from previous managers,listens and applies.

Every chance he will be a top manager.

I used to think this about Gary Locke too . Coached under two Scottish Cup winning Hearts managers . Played under one , and had experience in two countries at a decent level . Just never seemed to have learned any thing that he could apply effectively though , and was not a good head coach any where he went 

BackOfTheNet
4 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Depends who DOES get it. If we’ve managed to get a very decent experienced manager over the line, most will nod and think it was probably the right choice

If we dingy Naismith and bring in a Robinson type, I dare say a lot of folk will be fuming (rightly IMO having seen what Naismith has done in a short space of time)

This is the crux. Most fans will be okay with Naismith getting the job if he continues the attacking route. But they’d also be happy if an experienced coach with an attacking football reputation comes in. They won’t be happy as you say if we just bring in one of the usual jobs for the boys appointment, or some older guy from England who’s lost their way in the fast paced modern game. But if someone else came in, all they would need to do is show a bit of tactical nous, have us play well and getting results and fans will be on their side.

7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I used to think this about Gary Locke too . Coached under two Scottish Cup winning Hearts managers . Played under one , and had experience in two countries at a decent level . Just never seemed to have learned any thing that he could apply effectively though , and was not a good head coach any where he went 

I love Gary Locke, I do, but there’s a huge difference between someone like him and Naismith. Locke was a great leader on the pitch and maybe could give a good dressing room team talk as a coach, but he’d never have the intelligent mindset to have what it takes to be a top coach and man manager. Maybe decades ago, but not with players/younger generations being the way they are and the tactical needs of modern coaches, I just don’t think he has the mental capacity and temperament to succeed in the modern game to a high level.

Does Naismith? We don’t know, but his intelligence and awareness is pretty evident so far, now it’s down to whether the proof is in the pudding.

1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

Of course, but Neilson was (rightfully IMO) sacked for failing to get results with that same wounded Hearts side, with the additional difficulty of not having Haring either, whom Naismith has the good fortune to have back.

We sacked Robbie and gave Naisy the interim job on the expectation that they would be better than the current Aberdeen side and finish third. We then met Aberdeen with an additional two players out for them and Haring back for us, at home no less, and came back to win by a single goal. This isn't making excuses for Robbie or dismissing the thumping performance, it's keeping the scales fair.

For me if Neilson was judged to be coming up short (and he should have been IMO), then Naismith needs to show a bit more before being given the permanent gig.

Neilson was sacked because of performances and the state of the dressing room. Stop trying to make this about injuries to undermine SN. You don’t want him, we get it Ffs. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

Look at the difference Naismith has made to players like Hill , Atkinson , Mckay and Oda ! Playing players in there correct position and taking the Robbie leash off has made us a much more attractive team to watch 

Watt-Zeefuik
11 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Neilson was sacked because of performances and the state of the dressing room. Stop trying to make this about injuries to undermine SN. You don’t want him, we get it Ffs. 

This is the dumbest possible version of this conversation.

I like Naisy. I'm very encouraged by what I've seen. He could make a great manager. I just want to see two more goddamn games from him and then judge FFS.

2 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Fair points.

And I'm not saying give him it now, let's see where we finish, and as you have said previously we don't know who's CV is already sitting with the club.

18 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

This is the dumbest possible version of this conversation.

I like Naisy. I'm very encouraged by what I've seen. He could make a great manager. I just want to see two more goddamn games from him and then judge FFS.

😂😂😂

Maybe time to watch another sport Ted, soccerball isn’t for you. 

I'd love to know if it's not to be naisy, then who on that list is inspiring you more for the job as that's a scary list of options. 

And if anyone has watched Watford under wilder then we would be jumping right back into negative neilson/levein style of play - it's a massive no from me. 

In the few games he's had with the team he has reinstalled belief, moral and picked up vital points to haul us back into the race for 3rd when it seemed dead in the water a few weeks back. The turn around in player attitude and the style change is remarkable in such a short space of time. He is working with Neilson's squad so it will take time to fully implement the style he wants but the early signs are good. If the players like him and are playing for him, he was an attacking player and that is coming through in his management style, and with his winning mentality he has I am more than happy for hearts to give him a chance. 

Screenshot_20230523_070845_Chrome.jpg

Bad Religion
2 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

It’s difficult to decipher what you’re saying here so please correct me if I’m wrong. 

Saturdays win had little to do with Naismith’s team selection, setup, tactics and coaching/motivation of the players. The main difference between this performance and the equivalent should Robbie have still been in charge is that Naismith had Haring back and they had two of their better players out?

On 22/05/2023 at 07:28, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Why would you be so self entitled to think that we could get him back anytime we see fit? 

What if he hits the ground running elsewhere, overachieves for a couple of seasons with a smaller team then goes south to a bigger team and is completely out of our price bracket?

The way I see it is every good manager has to start somewhere, Naismith in my opinion has all the attributes to be a good manager.

13 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

It’s difficult to decipher what you’re saying here so please correct me if I’m wrong. 

Saturdays win had little to do with Naismith’s team selection, setup, tactics and coaching/motivation of the players. The main difference between this performance and the equivalent should Robbie have still been in charge is that Naismith had Haring back and they had two of their better players out?

ffs man don’t encourage him, it will be another longwinded pish n bluster post to undermine SN rather than just say he doesn’t fancy him. It’s okay to want someone else but don’t downplay the turnaround. 

I'm more on the side that we should look to appoint a new manager, as I feel this could be a big opportunity for our board to show their ambition and really enhance the clubs profile with someone above the usual standard of manager for us, however having said that if Naismith wins the next two games and gets 3rd I do think it would be difficult for them to tell him he's no getting the gig, I honestly think it will come down to these last two games for our board to make the call. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, Mac80 said:

Why would you be so self entitled to think that we could get him back anytime we see fit? 

What if he hits the ground running elsewhere, overachieves for a couple of seasons with a smaller team then goes south to a bigger team and is completely out of our price bracket?

The way I see it is every good manager has to start somewhere, Naismith in my opinion has all the attributes to be a good manager.

Lol, self-entitled to ask a coach with no track record to demonstrate their credentials :rofl:

Naisys Tackle
37 minutes ago, Mac80 said:

Can you list these for us mere mortals please?  Not saying you are wrong. 

Armageddon
6 hours ago, Arthur Morgan said:

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I might have been reading too much into it but when the young players got new contracts last week I thought he had been given the job. 

Aye that's what I took from all that too.  I think it would absolutely be the correct appointment, bearing in mind he's still working with players that have had football drilled out of them.

The performances have transformed, he has top top level experience, the club know him and he's not a complete rocket.  He has already coached Robbie's players to perform 100x better, I'd like to see who he would bring in.

Folk on here would seem to prefer to take managerial punts, like many other clubs do, and rarely get it right.

KyleLafferty

I think tomorrow is the game the hearts board will decide on. McKinley made it clear he wasn’t happy how we perform against rangers. If Naisy can go there, and actually lay a glove on them and make sure the team don’t shite themselves I reckon it’s his. Even if we get beat it’s got to be a performance that we all can say that we gave them a proper game.