• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Konrad von Carstein

• il Duce McTarkin

• Dick Dastardly

i wish jj was my dad
5 hours ago, Clivehunter81 said:

Nigel farrage is the best prime minister we never had.

A close competition between him, Oswald Moseley and Enoch Powell but I guess Nigel has time on his side. 

been here before
6 hours ago, Placid Casual said:

This thread is really bringing out the zoomers, isn’t it.

Certainly is now.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
3 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

A close competition between him, Oswald Moseley and Enoch Powell but I guess Nigel has time on his side. 

And Hitler. Thankfully the US stepped in and won the war.

Konrad von Carstein
13 minutes ago, been here before said:

Certainly is now.

Don't be so hard on yourself :)

New Town Loafer
4 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

You’ve, unintentionally, named 3 people that would have made a very good Prime Minister.

il Duce McTarkin
On 09/05/2023 at 11:53, Smithee said:

I still like Craig Levein, I can't help it, he was a hero of mine growing up.

Aye, same here.

Nookie Bear
16 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Musicians love-in for Bob Dylan .... why ?    He's dull.  Voice grates.   Belongs in the 60s  with his "protest songs"  ?  

An old Radio Active  sketch nailed it  "Ladies & Gentlemen - I've suffered for my music.  Now its your turn"

:jjyay:  

At the time he was seriously innovative but i could live without hearing anything he's written since the late 60s.

His live performances as well :facepalm:

Nookie Bear
On 12/05/2023 at 23:33, the posh bit said:

A decent jar of instant coffee tastes better than anything a plooky barista will knock up. 

Both good in different ways.

Nothing worse than a coffee bore though.

On 12/05/2023 at 23:33, the posh bit said:

A decent jar of instant coffee tastes better than anything a plooky barista will knock up. 

Most of your coffees that you buy out of cafes or chain shops are vastly overpriced. My missus loves a Starbucks. Sure, I'll drink one. But about £3.50 a go and they're average. A proper authentic continental style coffee though is lovely. Not a huge coffee drinker, but my go to is the Richmond Cafe. They do a choice of Greek, Turkish, Cypriot and arab style coffees as well as the usual latte's, cappuccino's etc. They just hit differently though.

the posh bit
18 minutes ago, Locky said:

Most of your coffees that you buy out of cafes or chain shops are vastly overpriced. My missus loves a Starbucks. Sure, I'll drink one. But about £3.50 a go and they're average. A proper authentic continental style coffee though is lovely. Not a huge coffee drinker, but my go to is the Richmond Cafe. They do a choice of Greek, Turkish, Cypriot and arab style coffees as well as the usual latte's, cappuccino's etc. They just hit differently though.

Yup. 

There are two places in Edinburgh that, IMO, serve excellent coffee. Word of Mouth on Albert Street and Troy Cafe on Dalry Road. 

**** Starbucks and its frothy, lukewarm pish. 

11 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

Yup. 

There are two places in Edinburgh that, IMO, serve excellent coffee. Word of Mouth on Albert Street and Troy Cafe on Dalry Road. 

**** Starbucks and its frothy, lukewarm pish. 

Familiar with both but never ventured in tbf. If you're ever up Newington area though I definitely recommend the Richmond Cafe. Aside from your usual fry ups and stand cafe stuff, they do a lot of Mediterranean dishes. Bit of a hidden gem right at the top of the Pleasance. 

55 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

At the time he was seriously innovative but i could live without hearing anything he's written since the late 60s.

His live performances as well :facepalm:

I’d say Blood On The Tracks from 1975 is possibly his best album. 

the posh bit
3 minutes ago, Locky said:

Familiar with both but never ventured in tbf. If you're ever up Newington area though I definitely recommend the Richmond Cafe. Aside from your usual fry ups and stand cafe stuff, they do a lot of Mediterranean dishes. Bit of a hidden gem right at the top of the Pleasance. 

Nice one, will look out for it. 

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, New Town Loafer said:

You’ve, unintentionally, named 3 people that would have made a very good Prime Minister.

Did he write them in white text? As none of those melts would make a good car park attendant.

New Town Loafer
9 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Did he write them in white text? As none of those melts would make a good car park attendant.

Agreed.

Good Prime Minister, though.

Any vote that changes the status quo of a nation (Brexit, Independence etc.) should require a 60/40 majority for the change to be implemented.

1 hour ago, JWL said:

Any vote that changes the status quo of a nation (Brexit, Independence etc.) should require a 60/40 majority for the change to be implemented.

If you don't mind me asking, why?

So the majority are unhappy?

jambopilms
6 hours ago, JWL said:

I would go as far as 70/30.

51/49 percent just means the nation is indifferent.

jambopilms
4 hours ago, Taffin said:

If you don't mind me asking, why?

So the majority are unhappy?

When it's a close call, it means there isn't really a consensus either way. There should be a real wave of support to change how we run things as a country.

Konrad von Carstein
2 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro and Jack Nicholson are not great actors. 

Al Pacino has become a caricature of himself, but in the Godfather films and Scarface he was awesome.

Di Nero has had some excellent performances too but I'm not to keen on some of the more recent things he's done.

Never been keen on Nicholson but As Good As It Gets was a great performance.

I think that they WERE great actors but have been slipping in the past few years 

8 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro and Jack Nicholson are not great actors. 

Shining ,one flew .

Godfellows the fockers once upon a time,taxi driver

Carlitos way.. scarface,

Godfather.

Albeit good films to shine in

Sleepy head
42 minutes ago, Ked said:

Shining ,one flew .

Carlitos way.. scarface,

Godfather.

Never seen that one. Who's in it?

Sleepy head
44 minutes ago, Ked said:

Shining ,one flew .

Carlitos way.. scarface,

Godfather.

Never saw that one either😁

Dick Dastardly
46 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Al Pacino has become a caricature of himself, but in the Godfather films and Scarface he was awesome.

Di Nero has had some excellent performances too but I'm not to keen on some of the more recent things he's done.

Never been keen on Nicholson but As Good As It Gets was a great performance.

I think that they WERE great actors but have been slipping in the past few years 

I think they have great on screen charisma but they are pretty much one trick ponies. Pacino shouts, DeNiro sticks his jaw out and shrugs and Nicholson smiles menacingly and shouts. I like them and most of the films they are in but they aren't, imo, particularly good actors. You are 100% right about Pacino becoming a caricature of himself. I would probably say the same about the other two. 

3 minutes ago, Sleepy head said:

Never seen that one. Who's in it?

Jesus! 🙄

Dick Dastardly
46 minutes ago, Ked said:

Shining ,one flew .

Carlitos way.. scarface,

Godfather.

Each actor plays pretty much the same role in each film they do. As I said in another reply, i like them and i enjoy their films. The ones you have mentioned are absolutely brilliant films. 

1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

When it's a close call, it means there isn't really a consensus either way. There should be a real wave of support to change how we run things as a country.

Should Labour need 60% to change the status quo from Conservative? They'd certainly be changing how we runs things as a country.

It just baffles me that anyone would think making it an option where the minority can lose is a good idea. Perfectly entitled to it, it is the unpopular opinion thread after all 👍

jambopilms
3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Should Labour need 60% to change the status quo from Conservative? They'd certainly be changing how we runs things as a country.

It just baffles me that anyone would think making it an option where the minority can lose is a good idea. Perfectly entitled to it, it is the unpopular opinion thread after all 👍

I would suggest Brexit and Independence should need more than 51%.

5 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

I would suggest Brexit and Independence should need more than 51%.

But why is the bit I don't get? In the 60/40 scenario why would potentially 41% of voters have more weight than 59% of the voters? When there's no consensus, you're literally suggesting to follow a path that's even further from consensus 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

Anyhoo, happy to agree to disagree and declare it certainly an unpopular opinion for me 👍

jambopilms
13 minutes ago, Taffin said:

But why is the bit I don't get? In the 60/40 scenario why would potentially 41% of voters have more weight than 59% of the voters? When there's no consensus, you're literally suggesting to follow a path that's even further from consensus 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

Anyhoo, happy to agree to disagree and declare it certainly an unpopular opinion for me 👍

You have lost me. 

You would need the larger number for a change i.e. 60% 

6 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

You have lost me. 

Yeh so 59% may vote for or against something and lose with the opposite winning with 41%.

@Lord BJ yeh I'm not opposed to the concept in private entities, they can be sensible given they're generally not democracies. In public life though, the idea is mental to me. Is the solution to prevent eroding the wishes of the minority to erode the wishes of the majority instead?!? That's proper head on back to front and shoes on the wrong feet thinking imo.

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Each actor plays pretty much the same role in each film they do. As I said in another reply, i like them and i enjoy their films. The ones you have mentioned are absolutely brilliant films. 

The question is without their performance would these films had been as aesthetic and as meaningful.

Don't mean to be a hippie but once upon a time America was classical  

I've other favourite films British ones that's not the c ones.

I did think about the roles of the films mentioned.

De Niro played his part in the fockers imo.beautifully.

But I love his face so I'm biased.

il Duce McTarkin
5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

White people in the UK, have a referendum that ethnic minorities should pay twice as much tax as a white person. 

I"d vote for that, tbf.

As would all PHM.

Portable Badger
10 hours ago, jambopilms said:

You have lost me. 

To ensure beyond all reasonable doubt that the decision is the will of the people.

Thats why for ages NS initially spoke of not invoking another referendum until the polls were consistently demonstrating 60%+ for independence 

Sure our club’s rule states we need 90%+ of shareholders to agree to sell the club to anyone, change name, move from Tynie or change the club’s colours.

Konrad von Carstein
26 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

I"d vote for that, tbf.

As would all PHM.

It would be the democratic will of the people... no-one could argue otherwise imo

il Duce McTarkin
4 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

It would be the democratic will of the people... no-one could argue otherwise imo

:spoton:

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

They are used in a lot of democracies, even in the uk. Something like a vote of no confidence in the PM requires a supermajority 🤷🏻‍♂️  

The public don't vote in a no confidence vote though. The public vote for the party, not their leader.

Protecting minorities rights is quite important in a democracy and that why they are used today. 

Let’s take an extreme example. White people in the UK, have a referendum that ethnic minorities should pay twice as much tax as a white person. The UK is about 80% white (despite the lunacy of my proposal) the numbers are there to benefit the majority and diminish the rights of the minority. (Apologies for being so extreme and lazy in my example, just trying to demonstrate a point simplistically)  

That would be against multiple laws though. I know it's just an example but there's other ways to protect people. You'd never get a referendum on something like that as it wouldn't get through parliament.

Majority rule isn’t always that important in politics tbh. It’s pretty evident in today society about the rights/power and minorities are as important as the majority; some may argue even more important!!! 

Agree, which is why I don't like FPTP and people who vote for minority parties should see them get a representative number of seats in whatever parliament. Proper representation at parliament means any referendum that arises is good and proper and has already had minority input into it.

In a referendum, you're going to have defined outcomes and generally speaking yes/no options. The only minority in those scenarios is whoever gets lets than 50%. In this scenario you're literally looking at minority rule in a binary situation...

Say we'd had a referendum on gay marriage, and 59% had voted to allow it...are you really saying it would have been right for the 41% to win the status quo?

History has probably told us it’s an important concept as well. 

I defo think there is a place for supermajorities tbh in democracies. Whether, I agree with individual use would depend on situation. 

I think there's a place for them, but not on public votes.

Edited by Taffin

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

In a referendum, you're going to have defined outcomes and generally speaking yes/no options. The only minority in those scenarios is whoever gets lets than 50%. In this scenario you're literally looking at minority rule in a binary situation...

Say we'd had a referendum on gay marriage, and 59% had voted to allow it...are you really saying it would have been right for the 41% to win the status quo?

I think there's a place for them, but not on public votes.

That’s a good example and proves how utterly mental it sounds.
It’s 51-49 I’m afraid and you deal with it like an adult. 

For me it’s sort of became a thing for unionists to attempt to shut down Indy forever. Just keep the goalposts moving in case it ever gets above 50% and stays there for any length of time. 
I don’t recall it ever being mentioned anywhere ever before until talk of indyref 2 started to get spoken about. 
Then it’s right well you should have to get over 60% now or it’s still No. 

:lol: 
Really don’t want to start the chat on this thread either btw. 
Just a tuppence worth. 

jack D and coke
13 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Not every referendum is about Indy bud. 

Agreed. Didn’t want to derail the thread and instantly regretted sending that post lol

Dick Dastardly
12 hours ago, Ked said:

The question is without their performance would these films had been as aesthetic and as meaningful.

Don't mean to be a hippie but once upon a time America was classical  

I've other favourite films British ones that's not the c ones.

I did think about the roles of the films mentioned.

De Niro played his part in the fockers imo.beautifully.

But I love his face so I'm biased.

I think, to me anyway, its just the fact that they always play, more or less, the same character in each film they make. So while they may have made that film what it was, their lack of versatility is what stops them from being great actors

13 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

You should have to have a license to have children.

Ohh I like this. They should bring in a child permit rule like in China. Unless you can prove that you have the resources to bring a child into the world and provide for it, you shouldn't be allowed them. Would perhaps deter overpopulating somewhat, or at the very least, there wouldn't be such a strain on the economy as benefit scroungers couldn't fire out 4 or 5 kids. A proper controversial opinion though this one.

I was going to tag a certain poster who used to live in China to ask for more information re: their Child Permit, but there's absolutely no trace of him anymore. Is he gone? :( 

Vlad Magic
2 hours ago, Locky said:

Ohh I like this. They should bring in a child permit rule like in China. Unless you can prove that you have the resources to bring a child into the world and provide for it, you shouldn't be allowed them. Would perhaps deter overpopulating somewhat, or at the very least, there wouldn't be such a strain on the economy as benefit scroungers couldn't fire out 4 or 5 kids. A proper controversial opinion though this one.

I was going to tag a certain poster who used to live in China to ask for more information re: their Child Permit, but there's absolutely no trace of him anymore. Is he gone? :( 

It’s also common sense.

Having children is an expensive thing to do yet currently anyone can have one. I can’t go out and steal an M5. Well I could but that would be illegal.

I can’t afford to eat at Gordon Ramseys best restaurant. I can’t afford a Rolex.

I can though go out and have a child should a willing partner consent.

Its madness!!

Not only would overpopulation start to be under control but crime would fall as well.

These little shits causing all the problems in neighbourhoods would be banned from breeding like rats so the next generation of little shits will be less.

Drink and drug problems from broken homes will be less. Less pressure on schools. Better behaved pupils meaning those looking to achieve aren’t disrupted by scummy little idiots misbehaving.

Responsible, sensible, budgeted for parenting versus out of control irresponsible, paid for by you and me parenting.

Has to happen soon.

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

It’s also common sense.

Having children is an expensive thing to do yet currently anyone can have one. I can’t go out and steal an M5. Well I could but that would be illegal.

I can’t afford to eat at Gordon Ramseys best restaurant. I can’t afford a Rolex.

I can though go out and have a child should a willing partner consent.

Its madness!!

Not only would overpopulation start to be under control but crime would fall as well.

These little shits causing all the problems in neighbourhoods would be banned from breeding like rats so the next generation of little shits will be less.

Drink and drug problems from broken homes will be less. Less pressure on schools. Better behaved pupils meaning those looking to achieve aren’t disrupted by scummy little idiots misbehaving.

Responsible, sensible, budgeted for parenting versus out of control irresponsible, paid for by you and me parenting.

Has to happen soon.

Arent western people are dying out though? 

I believe it’s actually almost at a point we won’t be able to turn it around the birth rate is now so low among countries in western Europe.

I believe even china has big problems coming down the pipe due to their decades of one child policy and are trying to encourage their women to have children again. 
We (white europeans) don’t have enough children as it is so limiting it doesn’t seem the smartest idea. 
Thus we need large amounts of immigration to maintain the growth economies we live in. 
We’re also not really known for being all that welcoming to large swathes of brown folks or foreigners coming over here and taking our jobs etc. 

There is lots of problems like you mention though granted and god only knows how we solve any of it.