*** Aberdeen v Heart Of Midlothian Official Match Thread ***

Masonic

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, Sooks said:

you used the calendar year to have a go at results not that long ago . I remember because I replied to you that I was more interested in seasons stats 

Not two months and three away league games ffs, a whole year is slightly different, hes made a fool of himself again, no need to jump to his defence. 
My post was about Boyce, who only played a few games this season so using the calendar year gave more information. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Hearts007

• pettigrewsstylist

• Luckies1874

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Thanks. Doesn't seem to have much luck staying fit and we could really have done with him last 2 games when Shankland was out 😐

Definitely, bad timing. Good player but no use if he's not available. 

55 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

And if they win?

Only St.Mirrens tough run in that’s stopping Hibs Aberdeen and Livi being in a tough fight to finish top 6. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not two months and four away league games ffs, a whole year is slightly different, hes made a fool of himself again, no need to jump to his defence. 

Not jumping to any ones defence , I could not care less who wins this little argument . I am just pointing out that recently you were using calendar year stats to make a point and I was telling you I was more interested in season stats . Now you are taking the opposite view 

Pasquale for King
28 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Not jumping to any ones defence , I could not care less who wins this little argument . I am just pointing out that recently you were using calendar year stats to make a point and I was telling you I was more interested in season stats . Now you are taking the opposite view 

Can you tell the difference between a whole year and three matches ffs? A calendar year isnt cherry picking. Still annoyed you were wrong about Boyce not doing much as a 10?

Watt-Zeefuik
22 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Don’t need to feel better, feeling great! Life is good. Just another example, not a comment really aimed at you, of misrepresenting what was being said. So many people so touchy and defensive at any perceived slight! Against non-OF teams we’ve been brilliant at home, have won an exceptional points tally of 31 from 33. Away we’ve been largely crap both results and performances. I think these comments are fairly factual. There is reasonable concern from some, (not a view I actually agree with as I think we will win another 4 games at Tynie which will be enough) that our away form is so bad it could see us caught in 3rd. Tomorrow is a big game in respect to how close things may get or otherwise. At least over Aberdeen it could be easy street, or for some, panic stations!

No reason not to be able to voice both positives about our home form and the opposite about our away without trying to use one to justify the other. 

I got a bit sharp and I apologize. I don't think the back 3 is the problem, and I think we're worse in a back 4 at the moment.

21 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Ah you’re talking about the calendar year rather than the season.  But why only go back a few games?  League positions are determined on the whole season not 2023 calendar year and our away form for the season to date has been very poor, no point trying to sugarcoat it. 

So, if we barely have 2 CHs fit does that not make it even more daft playing a system that requires playing 3 of them?!  Personally I’d like to see us go to a 4 at the back, I think it suits the players we have better.

As I said, because if we're talking about tactics, the fall we were dealing with an absurd number of injuries at CH so couldn't play the back 3 or were ineffective on defence when we tried. (We played a back 4 at Ross County because we could barely fill the bench and barely eked out a win there in a generally poor performance.) Since 2023 started, we have a number of players back, we have Hill who's solid on defence even if he can't pass, and we've started pretty much every game in a back 3 and only changed late in games, so it's a consistent stretch to compare over.

And in that time, we've been pretty rampant with it. 3-0 over Hibs at Easter Rd. We started poorly in Paisley but were unlucky not to get the win in the end. I didn't count it, but immediately before the new year we won convincingly in Perth in a back 3 and flattered them with a very soft pen and a gifted goal. The game before that we were kicked off the park again at Tannadice.

The Livi game and the Motherwell game were poor, I don't think anyone would argue that. But again, I don't think it's the back 3 that caused the problem. In the Motherwell game, IIRC, Robbie went to a back 4 in the last 15 minutes and it was still toothless turgid pish. And last weekend, I thought our worst spell of the game was in the back 4 late.

IveSeenTheLight

I’m looking forward to tomorrow.

I’m out of the hospital now (just last week, the op went well) so this will be my first game in a while.

Hearts are probably favourites and should be the more likely to win.

We need a win, but I’m going to predict a draw.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

I’m out of the hospital now (just last week, the op went well) so this will be my first game in a while.

Good to hear you are on the mend and I hope we spoil your return 😜

Fozzyonthefence
10 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Since 2023 started, we have a number of players back, we have Hill who's solid on defence even if he can't pass, and we've started pretty much every game in a back 3 and only changed late in games, so it's a consistent stretch to compare over.

And in that time, we've been pretty rampant with it. 3-0 over Hibs at Easter Rd. We started poorly in Paisley but were unlucky not to get the win in the end. I didn't count it, but immediately before the new year we won convincingly in Perth in a back 3 and flattered them with a very soft pen and a gifted goal. The game before that we were kicked off the park again at Tannadice.

The Livi game and the Motherwell game were poor, I don't think anyone would argue that. But again, I don't think it's the back 3 that caused the problem. In the Motherwell game, IIRC, Robbie went to a back 4 in the last 15 minutes and it was still toothless turgid pish. And last weekend, I thought our worst spell of the game was in the back 4 late.

Rampant?  We were very poor at Easter Road too, the only away league game we’ve won in 2023 since you seem want to narrow it down to that (and then claim a win from 2022!). Clinical but a poor performance and rode our luck (similar to the 3-0 at Motherwell, although Hibs didn’t create as many chances as Well).  

It’s a recurring problem away from home, we start so slowly and end up on the back foot.  Sometimes we get away with it, other times we don’t.  I expect more turgid shite tomorrow but I’ll be having a day watching the rugby while this place probably goes into meltdown. 

As for Motherwell, are you seriously suggesting you expected any different from the last 15 minutes in a game we had already lost?  

I didn’t see last week’s game so can’t comment on that but I don’t think we have the players to make the best of a 3 at the back - arguably the two most important players are the wingbacks and neither are strong enough going forward, they’re both more suited to playing as conventional full backs.  Plus Robbie generally keeps playing just two central midfield players and this is probably our biggest problem away from home (and when we play the OF), as we keep getting overrun there.  The line up at Celtic Park suggested the penny might have finally dropped with him.

Fozzyonthefence
11 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Glad you’re doing well.  The bookies have you as slight favourites and Hearts very rarely win away in general, never mind at Pittodrie, so I’ll happily take your draw if it’s on offer?! A draw tomorrow and another draw at Easter Road should see us pretty safe for 3rd.  

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

you wont be far off but I’ll lose my mind if we go away from home, with 3 at the back.  Get outnumbered in midfield AGAIN.

surely to **** we can’t try this failed tactic away to them again.

aberdeen will be looking to make this a fight.  We better be ****ing up for it. 

id start with roughly the same side as Celtic away.  Win the fight.  Then bring on some game changers

I'd agree with you there especially in bold. I think Robbie needs too get some consistency going because we've been poor recently. We need to increase the gap between us and the rest. If we lose we're in a bit of a mire tbh. 

Pasquale for King
23 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Rampant?  We were very poor at Easter Road too, the only away league game we’ve won in 2023 since you seem want to narrow it down to that (and then claim a win from 2022!). Clinical but a poor performance and rode our luck (similar to the 3-0 at Motherwell, although Hibs didn’t create as many chances as Well).  

It’s a recurring problem away from home, we start so slowly and end up on the back foot.  Sometimes we get away with it, other times we don’t.  I expect more turgid shite tomorrow but I’ll be having a day watching the rugby while this place probably goes into meltdown. 

As for Motherwell, are you seriously suggesting you expected any different from the last 15 minutes in a game we had already lost?  

I didn’t see last week’s game so can’t comment on that but I don’t think we have the players to make the best of a 3 at the back - arguably the two most important players are the wingbacks and neither are strong enough going forward, they’re both more suited to playing as conventional full backs.  Plus Robbie generally keeps playing just two central midfield players and this is probably our biggest problem away from home (and when we play the OF), as we keep getting overrun there.  The line up at Celtic Park suggested the penny might have finally dropped with him.

Agreed we were poor at ER but that was a cup game anyway, we’ve not won an away league game this year yet. I think King Anti was talking about getting over run in midfield as a consequence of playing 3 at the back. 

Watt-Zeefuik
30 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Really glad you're okay. Was a bit worried when we didn't hear from you for a while.

Obviously hope you have a rotten day watching football tomorrow but otherwise hope your recovery goes well.

35 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Foot and mouth can be dodgy.

Hope you have another Shite day later.

Naisys Tackle
39 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Hope you are on the mend mate.  

Hope your team get pumped tomorrow and every other week bar one mind you.

Naisys Tackle
2 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Foot and mouth can be dodgy.

Hope you have another Shite day later.

Harsh.  But funny.  And true. 

Watt-Zeefuik
26 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I'll admit "rampant" is probably a bit much and that the scoreline flattered us a bit but "very poor" is even more wrong IMO. Hibs missed a couple of moderate chances but we generated more shots had better chances as well as finished them better. I felt like the league game at Tynecastle they worried us a bit more and were better on the ball.

I've said why I picked 2023 already, because I know we played a back 3 at all the games. It's a pain going and looking up our formations for ones further back. I mentioned the St. Johnstone one just to show that I wasn't cherry picking 2023.

At Motherwell, in the last 15 minutes of regular time down 2, yes, I expect us to be pushing for the equalizer. And a formation change should push you towards that. Even with more attacking subs, I felt like we ended up with the ball going nowhere at the back far more often.

On your last paragraph, I hear you and others have said the same but I just disagree. Cochrane and Smith, when they're in there, are effectively wide midfielders and I think they're very good at it. We've probably recruited better at CH than at any other position, and we have players there that can step forward well with the ball and create problems for opposing midfielders. When we're healthy, the back 3 gets more of them on the field. And to say that Robbie keeps playing with two central midfielders isn't right either — he's switched to more of a 3-5-2 from a 3-4-3 recently. At Celtic Park we started with Kio, Dev, and Grant across the middle, and home against United we had McKay in a kind of #10 role in front of Halliday and Snoddy (and played the same formation the next week the abomination at Motherwell).

I've said elsewhere I think our #1 problem the past three months has been the lack of a true, healthy, in-form DM to play at the base of the midfield. Dev, Snoddy, Halliday, McKay, and Grant are all better as either the more forward of a 2 man CM or in the forward 2 of a 3 man CM. With Beni and Haring out, Kio is our best player back there and he hasn't looked steady until recently. If he can start performing consistently better, I expect our form all over the park to get better, more forward looking, and less static.

3 Away victories so far this season (Ross County, Motherwell and Hibs in the cup). It has been challenging (lets say) watching us on the road (nothing new there). That said, we have managed to pick up a number of draws on the road and I would settle for the one point tomorrow.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, daveyhmfc said:

3 Away victories so far this season (Ross County, Motherwell and Hibs in the cup). It has been challenging (lets say) watching us on the road (nothing new there). That said, we have managed to pick up a number of draws on the road and I would settle for the one point tomorrow.

St Johnstone in the league, Hamilton in the Cup and RFS to count them all in 19 away games. 
Draw would be ok. 

We need to be aggressive from the off and have a clear game plan. If we start being passive and directionless with our play, then we'll get slapped about and sent him. 

Really need a win. 

rudeskaboyuk

Can't see us scoring and can't see us keeping a clean sheet...so guessing 2-0

59 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I've said elsewhere I think our #1 problem the past three months has been the lack of a true, healthy, in-form DM to play at the base of the midfield. Dev, Snoddy, Halliday, McKay, and Grant are all better as either the more forward of a 2 man CM or in the forward 2 of a 3 man CM. With Beni and Haring out, Kio is our best player back there and he hasn't looked steady until recently. If he can start performing consistently better, I expect our form all over the park to get better, more forward looking, and less static.

We've got 3 issues imo. 

1) This slowly passing about the back stuff. That has its place, perhaps when the opposition are chasing the game where we're 2-0 up, we want too waste time, frustrate our opponents and control the game. 

However, at 0-0, we need to set the tempo, we need to attack, especially at home. Yes by all means build from the back, the meta in football suggests that is the most successful way to build attacks but we need to move the ball much quicker from one side to the other or into the next phase of attack - from defence into midfield.

2) The lack of quality when attacking. The technical ability to take possession in tight areas where we have to keep it or play out. We lose the ball far too often when we play from midfield to attack, usually from the first pass but more often from the receivers 1st or 2nd touch. It's not good enough. We get turned over and countered far too often. 

3) The balance of our squad is recruited to play 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 but we have a bit of a conundrum with Shankland and Gino. 

It's clear that Gino offers a different option from Shanks in that he has pace and he is more effective through the middle. But Shanks is also at his most effective centrally, linking play, attacking from deep etc... If both are playing together in a front 2 in their best roles, then we're losing a winger on one side and McKay is being dragged in centrally from his best position LW. The balance is all tits for arse and we're shoehorning players into unfamiliar areas. 

For me there's a clear issue there.

6 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Good to hear you are on the mend. Not sure about Hearts being favourites given our poor away record and Aberdeen being better at home. However, if we switch our formation a bit and play to our potential it could be a tasty encounter. 

Good feeling for today. Hopefully a strong squad being played in correct positions with Shankland back from injury.

This thread now reads like Groundhog Day.

Free-hit and must-win chatter is bonkers stuff.

Several bogey fixtures have been sorted already this season and I, for one, see no reason for today's match not to be another step forwards.

My predictions are often awry, but I can see us coming away with a 1-3 victory.

Why? Because it really is Aberdeen who are the team under pressure and we really do carry a goal threat.

Both A'deen and H1b5 would be delighted were they in our enviable position.

Historical stuff about any team's record away from home at a particular venue as an expectation for the next result is pure bunkum.

I'm confident that our players will be well up for this game, not give a second thought to superstitious bogey-ground crap, and will do the business.

❤️❤️G❤️

Just had text from a mate of mine in aberdeen.very very foggy in Aberdeen just now hopefully it will lift 🤞

Bazzas right boot
11 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Must win if we're looking for 3rd.

Looking to stay 3rd -You mean.

Not really.

We could get beat and  still finish 3rd and imo will get beat and finish 3rd. 

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

This thread now reads like Groundhog Day.

Free-hit and must-win chatter is bonkers stuff.

Several bogey fixtures have been sorted already this season and I, for one, see no reason for today's match not to be another step forwards.

My predictions are often awry, but I can see us coming away with a 1-3 victory.

Why? Because it really is Aberdeen who are the team under pressure and we really do carry a goal threat.

Both A'deen and H1b5 would be delighted were they in our enviable position.

Historical stuff about any team's record away from home at a particular venue as an expectation for the next result is pure bunkum.

I'm confident that our players will be well up for this game, not give a second thought to superstitious bogey-ground crap, and will do the business.

❤️❤️G❤️

:robboyas:

Massive day today. Hopefully smash them and shut Dick Gordon and Willie Miller up for a bit. Come on lads. Please 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Good to have you back and well.

Hopefully your first match in a while is a miserable shit show for you tho!

I'd take a draw, but the game is 50/50, could go either way,  like the first game up at your end I suspect it will be who is clinical and doesn't make daft mistakes at the back.

Ricardo Quaresma
On 16/03/2023 at 11:36, Pasquale for King said:

He's had to adapt because he cant get the team to play well in both halves, barely one, and start matches poorly, he identified these as problems but hasn't solved them. 

Co-incidentally, the only team we blasted for the full game, non-stop, was the sheep at home; I don't think they chucked until after Darvel, so that 5-0 was quite legit

They will be scared because of that, but a lot has changed since then; maybe we could still use this if we play it smart; getting the first goal would put the shitters up them, I'd bet

On 16/03/2023 at 11:42, Pasquale for King said:

So if we don't have the ability to do that why are we trying?
Every big game against better teams we seem to think we can take 3 or more touches, when 1-2 is all you have time for. Now either they're not being coached to do it, don’t listen or cant. Now all of that is the managers fault. 

Absolutely; players were taking 1 or 2 seconds against the mhanks, when they only had half a second and they need to recognise that this is the way it is and adapt

On 16/03/2023 at 12:15, Led Tasso said:

I can agree with a lot of this, but to me our biggest problem is our lack of a consistent healthy DM. With both Beni and Haring out and Kio coming on slowly it’s forced Devlin and Snoddy into that role which is far from ideal.

Our system works best with three players in the middle of the park, which may or may not include a forward in a #10 mode the way Boyce was doing before he got hurt. Snoddy is at his best as the most forward of those and Devlin is best in the middle of it. Having no options at the back means they are all shifted back some into less than ideal positions. Kio coming on against Celtic at least helped that.

To me a back 4 makes that problem worse, not better.

I think we need 3 in midfield for this, so if there was 3 still at the back, them we're looking  at the shape we took last game; not sure that would work; maybe with Shankland instead of McKay, with the latter coming on late for impact

On 16/03/2023 at 12:34, MattyK82 said:

Shanks and Humps in training which is a good sign 🤞🏼 (as per Hearts Insta). No images of Snoddy yet..

He's still got his black eye then :rofl:

Ricardo Quaresma
On 16/03/2023 at 20:13, Led Tasso said:

This is from the EEN's training photo gallery, someone with 'shop skills make this a smiley please?

image.thumb.png.0baa5c78055489069f6670b47101a49b.png

I could git a bus through there, no problem

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, Cruyff said:

We've got 3 issues imo. 

1) This slowly passing about the back stuff. That has its place, perhaps when the opposition are chasing the game where we're 2-0 up, we want too waste time, frustrate our opponents and control the game. 

However, at 0-0, we need to set the tempo, we need to attack, especially at home. Yes by all means build from the back, the meta in football suggests that is the most successful way to build attacks but we need to move the ball much quicker from one side to the other or into the next phase of attack - from defence into midfield.

2) The lack of quality when attacking. The technical ability to take possession in tight areas where we have to keep it or play out. We lose the ball far too often when we play from midfield to attack, usually from the first pass but more often from the receivers 1st or 2nd touch. It's not good enough. We get turned over and countered far too often. 

3) The balance of our squad is recruited to play 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 but we have a bit of a conundrum with Shankland and Gino. 

It's clear that Gino offers a different option from Shanks in that he has pace and he is more effective through the middle. But Shanks is also at his most effective centrally, linking play, attacking from deep etc... If both are playing together in a front 2 in their best roles, then we're losing a winger on one side and McKay is being dragged in centrally from his best position LW. The balance is all tits for arse and we're shoehorning players into unfamiliar areas. 

Agreed, apart from the passing about at the back and imo points 1 and 2 are linked, better, composed,  technical midfield players fixes both our ability ro pass from the back faster and in turn break on the opposition between the defensive and midfield lines quicker and with more purpose, we therefore offer more attacking threat. 

The Aberdeen manager will be hoping or expecting us to constantly pass it about the back as slowly as we can.

Hopefully Robbie is sick to the back teeth of seeing it too, and tries to inject some energy, movement, skill and pace into our 90 minutes.

Try it for us all Robbie, but especially the travelling fans.

Come on the JTs, get a spring in your step.

9 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Glad to hear your on the mend, tough game for both teams.

My prediction a draw think the Don's are slight favourites with William Hill. 

pettigrewsstylist
10 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Glad you’re doing well.  The bookies have you as slight favourites and Hearts very rarely win away in general, never mind at Pittodrie, so I’ll happily take your draw if it’s on offer?! A draw tomorrow and another draw at Easter Road should see us pretty safe for 3rd.  

Yip, stopping those 2 gaining points is equally as important as us gaining them in this yrs race. Draw these two and taking care of home games should see us over the line.

Injuries to both main strikers is the main concern IMO. 

All hail Gino.

pettigrewsstylist
7 hours ago, Cruyff said:

We've got 3 issues imo. 

You missed our defensive right. Glaring issue since last summer.

10 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Glad you're on the mend ISTL. Fingers crossed we give you another doing tomorrow but in reality I'll take a draw right now!

Midloth_Iain
51 minutes ago, Australis said:

The Aberdeen manager will be hoping or expecting us to constantly pass it about the back as slowly as we can.

Hopefully Robbie is sick to the back teeth of seeing it too, and tries to inject some energy, movement, skill and pace into our 90 minutes.

Try it for us all Robbie, but especially the travelling fans.

Come on the JTs, get a spring in your step.

It's his tactic so not sure he will be sick of it.

We need tempo in our game, move the ball quicker, off the ball runs more incisive and play further up the field. Not sure we will see this but fingers crossed.

Clerry Jambo

Lots of folk accepting draws, how the mighty have fallen!

Hope the guys travelling up get a performance worthy of the support

Unknown user
11 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Good to hear ya sheep shagging so and so, hope you're feeling better 👍 

Also hope you get destroyed today, cheers!

pettigrewsstylist
6 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Havn"t won in last 9 up there spanning 7yrs?

8 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

We haven’t won at Pittodrie very often in last 30-40 years so can understand the hesitancy amongst fans  

Expect  a performance today  

south morocco
10 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Our record is pish poor up there. A draw is a decent result up there but obviously hope we win.

Edited by south morocco

• JKBMod 3 locked this topic