*****Official Heart of Midlothian v Celtic SCQF Thread ******

cookieboy

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

Their movement unfortunately is way too quick for most of our players. We can live in hope though.

Agreed, but some of ours are quicker upstairs and downstairs. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• pettigrewsstylist

• Pasquale for King

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

There is no reason our players shouldn’t be as fit as any others really, what’s stopping them?

What a daft question to ask?

What's stopping anyone from being  as fit as a top athletic?

Answer that and you have your answer,  and there are lots of reasons. 

Chillidigits

Leaving all other comparisons between the teams aside just now I'd love it if most of our team could just run a bit faster than most of their team.

15 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

What a daft question to ask?

What's stopping anyone from being  as fit as a top athletic?

Answer that and you have your answer,  and there are lots of reasons. 

Can you name one of the ‘lots’ of reasons why we, on the face of it, don’t appear to be as fit as some other teams. 

pettigrewsstylist
4 hours ago, Chimp said:

Gino fit for tomorrow, thank feck. Hope he lasts the majority of the game though as he's quite susceptible to wee knock. Key part of our side and we'll need another big performance from him!

Hope at Tynie, with confidence from Wed, he runs at them. Guess it depends where he plays.

14 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Can you name one of the ‘lots’ of reasons why we, on the face of it, don’t appear to be as fit as some other teams. 

The number of late goals we have scored this season would suggest that we are as fit as most teams. 

35 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

There is no reason our players shouldn’t be as fit as any others really, what’s stopping them?

Genetics?  And access to higher quality nutrition and sports science?

2 minutes ago, Rampant said:

Neilson’s side last time he was in charge were as fit as any side in Scotland. Imo, of course. 

Edited by GinRummy

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Rampant said:

I would say football players un general are from the same gene pool wouldnt you? Top class athletes as youngsters dont usually go into football. 
No football team should have better nutrition or sports science than us should they? We advertised for a professional nutritionist two months ago, hopefully the bacon rolls before and Chicken nuggets after games have been binned. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Neilson’s side last time he was in charge were as fit as any side in Scotland. Imo, of course. 

Three or four training sessions a day. 

Bazzas right boot
45 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

No idea how you've reached the conclusion we don't appear as fit as other teams.

If I have to explain why our players aren't as good athletes as better athletes then you are beyond my help.

Way beyond my help.

Although, Maybe it's all the bacon rolls and chicken nuggets we are shovelling down the players throats.

:sadrobbo:

Bazzas right boot
38 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

The number of late goals we have scored this season would suggest that we are as fit as most teams. 

Yip. 

Getting points with 10 men as well.

Nothing suggests we aren't fit. 

It's made up shite.

9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I would say football players un general are from the same gene pool wouldnt you? Top class athletes as youngsters dont usually go into football. 
No football team should have better nutrition or sports science than us should they? We advertised for a professional nutritionist two months ago, hopefully the bacon rolls before and Chicken nuggets after games have been binned. 

Everyone's from the same gene pool.  Some people will have certain genes from that pool however that increase their likelihood of being better athletes.  And having genes that make a player a better athlete will help them to be better footballers.  And those better footballers will cost more and play for better teams.

A gene for increased fitness works just like a gene height.  Nutrition will play a part in someone's growth, so even if we do accept your point that Hearts' sport science should be equal to any other club in the world, we'll still have players who might have a genetic height advantage that will make them better at certain aspects of football.  They may well be worse at other aspects of football, as there will be a trade-off, hence why football teams aren't filled with marathon runners as their investment in being immensely fit holds them back in other physical attributes. 

Granted, in that regard footballers are all of a more similar 'gene pool' but even within a starting 11 you'll want different attributes.  I wouldn't expect a centre-back to have the same level of fitness as a wing-back.  And I wouldn't expect a Hearts centre-back to have the same level of fitness as a Celtic centre-back, at least not without compromising on other attributes that would lead them to not being a centre-back Hearts should be employing.

To take it to another extreme, if footballers are all of the same ilk and for the most part should all have access to the same level of nutrition and sports science as the top clubs, why isn't every player in the SPFL at the same level of fitness as peak Cristiano Ronaldo?

There's inherently something in Ronaldo that allows him to be fitter than most.  And the other aspect that makes him fitter is of course his dedication to being as fit as possible.  That drive and determination he has is something worth paying for. 

If my employer expected me to improve in an aspect at my job, they would have to provide training and support to allow me to achieve that, which would cost them money.  If they expected me to do it of my own accord, they would have to pay me more to do it.  I would probably decline.  I don't want to be a Ronaldo, I'm quite content being a Barrie McKay.

33 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Three or four training sessions a day. 

Not convinced that our players are as a fit as OF. Surely you have forgotten last years cup final when our players were run ragged by Rankers in extra time.

7 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

Not convinced that our players are as a fit as OF. Surely you have forgotten last years cup final when our players were run ragged by Rankers in extra time.

The big difference is the Old Firm can bring on  5 players of real quality to freshen things up so it's not all about fitness, but squad quality. 

3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yip. 

Getting points with 10 men as well.

Nothing suggests we aren't fit. 

It's made up shite.

I tried to find some statistics on distance covered to see if we are covering less ground.  That to me would be a key indicator of how fit we are, but not a perfect stat.  I struggled to find such but I'm sure other posters are more savvy or even have wyscout access.

The ones I could find, things like interceptions, dribbles, don't paint a picture of being any less fit than other teams.  We're also one of the most fouled teams which would suggest other teams especially don't like us or we play the game at a pace above our opposition.

Fitness seems like a really hard thing to pin down to one or two metrics, but those saying we are unfit need to provide a bit more than simply it "appearing" to be the case.

Fire_At_The_Disco

I’ve got the covid☹️ Just tested when I came in from work as I felt a bit off. I now have a decision to make, do I just go if I feel okay or do I patch it and watch on TV. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Fancy us to beat they rats too. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Rampant said:

I tried to find some statistics on distance covered to see if we are covering less ground.  That to me would be a key indicator of how fit we are, but not a perfect stat.  I struggled to find such but I'm sure other posters are more savvy or even have wyscout access.

The ones I could find, things like interceptions, dribbles, don't paint a picture of being any less fit than other teams.  We're also one of the most fouled teams which would suggest other teams especially don't like us or we play the game at a pace above our opposition.

Fitness seems like a really hard thing to pin down to one or two metrics, but those saying we are unfit need to provide a bit more than simply it "appearing" to be the case.

I tried the same, couldn't find it for Scottish players or teams.

Even that isn't great, running about daft doesn't equate to a better or fitter player.

14 minutes ago, ramrod said:

The big difference is the Old Firm can bring on  5 players of real quality to freshen things up so it's not all about fitness, but squad quality. 

Granted but a good number of Rankers players in extra time had started the game. Our players looked knackered .

5 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I tried the same, couldn't find it for Scottish players or teams.

Even that isn't great, running about daft doesn't equate to a better or fitter player.

Yep exactly - by no means the perfect stat.  A team who has more possession will make the ball do the work and cover less ground I expect.  I imagine Celtic camped in an opponent's third with the ball don't have remarkable km averages.  Plus any average I might have been able to find for Hearts would be skewed by wee Cammy anyway.

I thought it would help to find something to understand where others are coming from.  But maybe there isn't anything to support the positions some choose to take...

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, Rampant said:

Everyone's from the same gene pool.  Some people will have certain genes from that pool however that increase their likelihood of being better athletes.  And having genes that make a player a better athlete will help them to be better footballers.  And those better footballers will cost more and play for better teams.

A gene for increased fitness works just like a gene height.  Nutrition will play a part in someone's growth, so even if we do accept your point that Hearts' sport science should be equal to any other club in the world, we'll still have players who might have a genetic height advantage that will make them better at certain aspects of football.  They may well be worse at other aspects of football, as there will be a trade-off, hence why football teams aren't filled with marathon runners as their investment in being immensely fit holds them back in other physical attributes. 

Granted, in that regard footballers are all of a more similar 'gene pool' but even within a starting 11 you'll want different attributes.  I wouldn't expect a centre-back to have the same level of fitness as a wing-back.  And I wouldn't expect a Hearts centre-back to have the same level of fitness as a Celtic centre-back, at least not without compromising on other attributes that would lead them to not being a centre-back Hearts should be employing.

To take it to another extreme, if footballers are all of the same ilk and for the most part should all have access to the same level of nutrition and sports science as the top clubs, why isn't every player in the SPFL at the same level of fitness as peak Cristiano Ronaldo?

There's inherently something in Ronaldo that allows him to be fitter than most.  And the other aspect that makes him fitter is of course his dedication to being as fit as possible.  That drive and determination he has is something worth paying for. 

If my employer expected me to improve in an aspect at my job, they would have to provide training and support to allow me to achieve that, which would cost them money.  If they expected me to do it of my own accord, they would have to pay me more to do it.  I would probably decline.  I don't want to be a Ronaldo, I'm quite content being a Barrie McKay.

All fair points, I would expect the club and the management to do everything possible to get the players as fit as they can be, whether that’s afternoons or not. 
If the players want to move up a level then they should be looking at the players we played against in Europe, who’s clubs nutritionist queried the ingredients of everything they ate apparently. 

20 minutes ago, Fire_At_The_Disco said:

I’ve got the covid☹️ Just tested when I came in from work as I felt a bit off. I now have a decision to make, do I just go if I feel okay or do I patch it and watch on TV. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Fancy us to beat they rats too. 

Please don't go unless you test negative. 

That's your decision made.

The Treasurer
38 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

The OF, and sellik in particular, move the ball around very quickly, meaning that their opponents have to do more running than they do, therefore as the game goes on their opponent become more tired. 

Add in the fact that they can bring on top quality subs. 

Nothing to do with our players not being fit 

Pasquale for King
44 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

I meant we used to do that, definitely think we could be fitter but theres no real proof to back that up. 

mickycameron98

I'm trying hard to be positive tomorrow but I just can't see us getting anything out the old firm this season. It's probably the 1st season I've ever thought that.

Pasquale for King

Annnyyyway, I think we are going to win tomorrow, the players and manager seem to believe they can and who are we to doubt that. 

8F5DCB37-16AA-46A7-841C-FB8D23DC6E0A.jpeg

15DC1768-3E31-453D-992B-2EB52DC2DBE7.jpeg

5 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Will the police be searching these tramps for fireworks etc tomorrow...or just shite it?

My guess is Shite it as usual

AC Mallin_51

I really try not to get my hopes up too much against either of the uglies for the simple reasons I just find too many reasons as to why it shouldn’t happen. Then I always think of the 4-0 game: Even after 6 years it reminds me anything is possible and it can come at the most unlikely of times. A side who hadn’t lost in 69 matches and we rocked up with a 16 year old in midfield and prince bauben at centre half. We should’ve been absolutely murdered that day. I walked away from it thinking it should’ve been 6 or 7. We can beat them. It’s happened before when we’ve not expected it, it’ll happen again. Cmon the hearts 

Watt-Zeefuik
13 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

I really try not to get my hopes up too much against either of the uglies for the simple reasons I just find too many reasons as to why it shouldn’t happen. Then I always think of the 4-0 game: Even after 6 years it reminds me anything is possible and it can come at the most unlikely of times. A side who hadn’t lost in 69 matches and we rocked up with a 16 year old in midfield and prince bauben at centre half. We should’ve been absolutely murdered that day. I walked away from it thinking it should’ve been 6 or 7. We can beat them. It’s happened before when we’ve not expected it, it’ll happen again. Cmon the hearts 

We not only broke their streak, we did it doing the Poznan. I was slack-jawed staring at my screen the whole game.

NORVTHEDUCK

Clark

Sibbick        Rowles        Kingsley

Smith        Devlin Kio       Cochrane                      Snodgrass 

Ginelly       Shankland

Think back to 4-0

Think of the mingin' lineup

Let's get in about these *****

Across the pitch

In the stands

On the streets

**** CELTIC

Edited by Gershwin

LochcarronJambo

If there is a football god, hearts the total decent pro Scottish anti sectarian football club in ma country win this tomorrow ……fed up of the filth undeservedly winning , cmon the hearts concentrate for every minute & put this filth out of the Scottish & btw hope our Fife neighbours somehow b eat the partners in crime on sunday

i wish jj was my dad
6 hours ago, Djnoisy said:

Please be true on both counts. :pleasing:

How daft are you? Snodgrass is one guy who won't be over awed by reputation. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

He was midfield but look at the team, and their striker 😆

B07852CC-6029-4E17-B3E4-BC69E4F5E17C.jpeg

Pasquale for King
49 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

Think back to 4-0

Think of the mingin' lineup

Let's get in about these *****

Across the pitch

In the stands

On the streets

**** CELTIC

Yaaaaaasssss I’m in 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

We not only broke their streak, we did it doing the Poznan. I was slack-jawed staring at my screen the whole game.

Oh the Wee Hibs are shite was my favourite tune of the night 😆

1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

How daft are you? Snodgrass is one guy who won't be over awed by reputation. 

Fabulous footballer with a brain. Too slow for this game though I think

i wish jj was my dad
6 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Fabulous footballer with a brain. Too slow for this game though I think

We'll need mobility no question but if we set up with 3 in the middle we'd be daft no to play him

42 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

We'll need mobility no question but if we set up with 3 in the middle we'd be daft no to play him

Completely agree. Surely its the same 5-3-2 shape from Wednesday -

Clark

Smith

Sibbick

Rowles

Kngsley

Cochrane

Grant

Kio

Snodgrass

Shankland/McKay

Ginnelly

Gives us some options off the bench as well (Hill, Devlin, Halliday, McKay if Shanks fit, Forrest, Kuol). 

i wish jj was my dad
3 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Completely agree. Surely its the same 5-3-2 shape from Wednesday -

Clark

Smith

Sibbick

Rowles

Kngsley

Cochrane

Grant

Kio

Snodgrass

Shankland/McKay

Ginnelly

Gives us some options off the bench as well (Hill, Devlin, Halliday, McKay if Shanks fit, Forrest, Kuol). 

That would be my side but it will be a proper blow if Shanks isn't fit.