*****Official Heart of Midlothian v Celtic SCQF Thread ******

cookieboy

15 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

I know people are hurting but Celtic are awfully good right now and only a miracle will prevent them getting the treble this year. The scary thing is they will strengthen again in summer in preparation for a better tilt at the CL and the rest of the SPL will suffer for it.

Serious question... would Scottish clubs / football be better off if there was a fully British league so the cheeks could play in the EPL/Championship and all other clubs find their own level?

Not taking the piss - seriously interested in peoples' opinions.

The league would be better and closer if only playing twice - supporters and players would prefer it but that means nothing - 16 0r 18 team league would be far better - The split is tinpot and always has been - There appears no appetite for change unfortunately so we will continue with duopoly for eternity 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• pettigrewsstylist

• Pasquale for King

8 minutes ago, Drumjambo said:

The league would be better and closer if only playing twice - supporters and players would prefer it but that means nothing - 16 0r 18 team league would be far better - The split is tinpot and always has been - There appears no appetite for change unfortunately so we will continue with duopoly for eternity 

Wholly agree. The current set-up is boring, whilst a larger league would allow teams more breathing space to bring on young peripheral players instead of loaning them out to diddy teams.

Of course it will never happen.

8 hours ago, The Gorgie said:

Please do remind us all how well we done between neilsons time as manager. You're following the wrong club if you think 3rd isn't worth bothering about.

To be fair Cathro couldn't string a sentence together and was as charismatic as a soggy cheese sandwich he also emptied a decent team and replaced them with a load of absolute guff (salary Martin??) then taken over by the cluesless but extremely talkative hippy Then ffs John Daly Liam Fox etc organising the team while Levein did 12 different jobs 

No surprise we were a shit show - The club is hopefully very different now we don't need to replace with projects.

To be fair I thought Robbie had taken us as far as he could first time round and Im still of the same opinion. (I know even among my small band I'm not the only one) We still don't look like winning anything Cup Losses  Celtic at home fair enough but Killie at home this year in the league cup was another absolute shocker Lets forget the others on this list!!

The Rangers game at home this  season tells you all  Mackay and koul centre mid wi Snodgrass the only midfielder lol

57 minutes ago, Drumjambo said:

Exactly this. Look at La Liga where there are 2 dominant clubs in Barca and Real Madrid. One of them usually win the league, but occasionally you get another club winning or runners up such as athletico Madrid.

I'm pretty certain that wouldn't happen if athletico needed to play Barcelona and real Madrid twice more each in a league season.

It won't happen though because there's too much cash to be made from old firm games. 

Edited by Hansel

Watt-Zeefuik

In 2012, in one of my favorite Hearts matches ever, we beat Celtic 2-1 at Hampden in the semi-final on the back of Craig Beattie's heroics, Rudi's genius, and a stalwart defensive performance. We played with intent, belief, and verve.

Three weeks later Gary Hooper personally leathered us with five goals all on his own and no reply. We were hopeless, at sea, and totally overrun. Did our belief, intent, and verve just evaporate? Hardly, as the famous 5-1 was just four days later.

No, of course not. Celtic were just the better team, and just as we caught them on an off day in the semi-final, they were snarling for revenge in that game in May.

Sometimes we want to make it all about what Hearts do or don't do but when you have an opponent that much more skilled than you, sometimes it just isn't about you.

The Black Prince
5 hours ago, Hansel said:

Exactly this. Look at La Liga where there are 2 dominant clubs in Barca and Real Madrid. One of them usually win the league, but occasionally you get another club winning or runners up such as athletico Madrid.

I'm pretty certain that wouldn't happen if athletico needed to play Barcelona and real Madrid twice more each in a league season.

It won't happen though because there's too much cash to be made from old firm games. 

There's a lot of money to be made from OF games now because they have the most money and can afford the best players. That situation will perpetuate forever until you find a circuit breaker.

The only realistic circuit breakers are either to go full British to let every club find their level (despite the travel), or go go for a salary cap. A salary cap will emasculate the OF and make them useless in Europe, but it will also make every match in the SPL competitive, including those with the OF.

The reality of it is, that both sides of the argument are good.

Some would say they have seen improvement, from Robbie and management with the win at Easter Road.

Other's see it as the same old and not an improvement on last season.

Pros I think Robbie has enough to secure third.

Cons I don't like this drowning out the midfield and not having pace outwide.

I believe that killed us before the game started.

3 at the back never been a fan, back 4 for me Kyogo runs off player's, and is a general nuisance he's needs man marked,get physical with him early doors.

He doesn't like it and, despite him being an incredible player in our league, like edouard would struggle in the English Premiership.

Going to stick up for Robbie here and I'm not his biggest fan, but having 7 key player's out is a huge miss, that said i can't back him, or Savage with having to start Gino upfront.

We really needed one more forward in before the window closed ,and I would argue Callum Paterson would of been perfect to hold up the ball, and draw the likes of vickers and starfelt out leaving space in behind.

He also gives the option to go long.

Glad to be back.