*****Official Heart of Midlothian v Celtic SCQF Thread ******

cookieboy

Bazzas right boot

6-3 Hearts.

2-2 Ht, at 3-2 Hearts around 55 mins- celtic get a player sent off.

:scenes:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• pettigrewsstylist

• Pasquale for King

We’ve proved this season that we can match them. I don’t think we’ve come away from a game against them recently and felt they played us off the park. It’s been our own daft mistakes that have cost us. They get punished every single time.

We need to be flawless in midfield and defence.

steinbeckjambo1874

Hearts 2-1 winners, off to another semi-final, and as a bonus extra Celtic's treble spoiled. Nice.  

Same formation we must play a middle 3 

snidgrass Cochrane smith will replace Halliday , aitkinson and kio 

I can’t see Mackay playing in this 

Gino shanks up top 

15 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Bring in Shankland, Smith and Cochrane for Forrest, Atkinson and Halliday and that’s the team for me.

Exactly this 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Having more running power seemed to help

I can see it being something like this

Clark

Hill Rowles Kingsley

Smith Devlin Snodgrass Halliday Cochrane

Shankland

Ginnelly

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Clark

Hill Rowles Kingsley

Shankland

Ginnelly

Is this the team counter to your point? Snodgrass and Halliday got absolutely run over the top when they played CM together.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Is this the team counter to your point? Snodgrass and Halliday got absolutely run over the top when they played CM together.

Got Devlin there too though. An extra body to compensate 

Fozzyonthefence
5 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Mackay plays for me.  He is pivotal for us. 
2-1 for us

He’s never pivotal in these games, really hope he is on the bench but unfortunately I think you’re right.  And I think I’ll be right - he’ll be a passenger as per usual.  I just don’t think we can afford to play him in games where we’re only getting 20 odd % possession, far too lightweight too.  

5 hours ago, mr fox said:

Same formation we must play a middle 3 

snidgrass Cochrane smith will replace Halliday , aitkinson and kio 

I can’t see Mackay playing in this 

Gino shanks up top 

I would keep Halliday in over Smith , Smith hasn’t the legs for 90mins against this team . It’s not an easy decision for sure, and one RN will be criticised either way ( on the team selection in general).

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I think having Kio playing an honest man's defensive mid really helped us last night. Snoddy in that role is overrun and wasted. I don't want to re-open the old debate but if we go 4-2-3-1 or some such I would honestly put Sibbick in the midfield pair.

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Clark

Hill Rowles Kingsley

Shankland

Ginnelly

Devlin was poor last night and the other two have talents but running power isnt one. Grant for Halliday and your choice may well be the team. 

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, fila said:

I would keep Halliday in over Smith , Smith hasn’t the legs for 90mins against this team . It’s not an easy decision for sure, and one RN will be criticised either way ( on the team selection in general).

Has Halliday got the legs for 90 minutes, ever?

3 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Any news on the walking wounded? Gino? Humphrys? Cochrane?

I think Robbie said last night Gino is fine and was taken off as a precaution. 

Luckies1874
21 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Devlin was poor last night and the other two have talents but running power isnt one. Grant for Halliday and your choice may well be the team. 

Be absolutely amazed if McKay is not in a Neilson side for Celtic at Tynecastle in the Scottish Cup. Amazed.

Luckies1874

This is what I guess the team will be (Hill for Kingsley possible) but in my view he needs to use one of Devlin, Halliday or Kio in the midfield and go with one fewer up front. If we play this they will dominate the centre of the park.

Clark

Sibbick      Rowles     Kingsley

Smith                               Cochrane

Snodgrass  Grant

Ginnelly  Shankland  McKay

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Be absolutely amazed if McKay is not in a Neilson side for Celtic at Tynecastle in the Scottish Cup. Amazed.

Yeah you’re probably right. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

This is what I guess the team will be (Hill for Kingsley possible) but in my view he needs to use one of Devlin, Halliday or Kio in the midfield and go with one fewer up front. If we play this they will dominate the centre of the park.

Clark

Snodgrass  Grant

Right team but I think Mckay will be left of Snodgrass with Grant Right and Shankland just behind Ginnelly. If they’re all available. 

Luckies1874
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Right team but I think Mckay will be left of Snodgrass with Grant Right and Shankland just behind Ginnelly. If they’re all available. 

Would make sense but the problem with that is we are still short of combative natural actual central midfielders and we just end up with Shankland way too deep. 

39 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I would say more than Smith for a game against Celtic , but a close call. 

17 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Clark

Snodgrass  Grant

Its a pity Sibbick couldn't play wing back and put Smith or Hill in the back 3. Probably prefer Smith. This would have Sibbick's athleticism into a more attacking position. I'd play the

3 in midfield of Kio, Snoddy and Grant and only Shankland and Ginnelly further forward. McKay bench, used if needing to chase the game. Not going to happen but

Clark,

Sibbick, Hill/Smith, Rowles, Kingsley, Cochrane

Grant, Snodgrass, Kio

Shank land

Ginnelly

Edited by Riccarton3

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, fila said:

I would say more than Smith for a game against Celtic , but a close call. 

I don’t think either have, they rarely finish a game they start in, especially at wingback. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Riccarton3 said:

Its a pity Sibbick couldn't play wing back and put Smith or Hill in the back 3. Probably prefer Smith. This would have Sibbick's athleticism into a more attacking position. I'd play thus 3 in midfield of Kio, Snoddy and Grant and only Shankland and Ginnelly further forward. McKay bench, used if needing to chase the game

I think Toby could play there tbh, he’s extremely quick but whether he can cross or pass in the final third is another matter. 

heartsfc_fan
19 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Clark

Snodgrass  Grant

That will probably be it. On paper it's fine but I fear we'll get overrun in the middle.

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

I don’t think either have, they rarely finish a game they start in, especially at wingback. 

Your right , and would not be surprised if that’s not the case on Sat, if either of them start . 

Luckies1874
6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think Toby could play there tbh, he’s extremely quick but whether he can cross or pass in the final third is another matter. 

Given the choice I'd honestly play Sibbick in central midfield with Snodgrass and Grant.

Clark

Hill      Rowles     Kingsley

Sibbick  Snodgrass  Grant

Ginnelly  Shankland  

Think it would give us far more strength, height, athleticism and defensive qualities in the centre of the park.

Edited by Luckies1874

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Be more passing into feet and getting it back rather than crosses. He's frightening  once he gets up a head of steam. Where he is we don't really get that explosion.

gorgierulesapply88

What I want. 4-3-3

Clark

Hill Rowles Kingsley Cochrane

Devlin Snodgrass Grant

Kuol Shankland Ginnelly.

What i'll get. 5-3-2

Clark

Hill Rowles Sibbick Kingsley Cochrane

Devlin Snodgrass

Shankland Mckay

Ginnelly

Edited by gorgierulesapply88

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Given the choice I'd honestly play Sibbick in central midfield with Snodgrass and Grant.

Clark

Hill      Rowles     Kingsley

Sibbick  Snodgrass  Grant

Ginnelly  Shankland  

Think it would give us far more strength, height, athleticism and defensive qualities in the centre of the park.

8 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Be more passing into feet and getting it back rather than crosses. He's frightening  once he gets up a head of steam. Where he is we don't really get that explosion.

I think Toby can play anywhere really, has at Barnsley in these positions. Hes not really breaking forward that much and could do that with Snodgrass so deep usually. 
Not sure if RN would do that though but hes not averse to taking a chance. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

42 minutes ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

What I want. 4-3-3

Clark

Hill Rowles Kingsley Cochrane

Devlin Snodgrass Grant

Kuol Shankland Ginnelly.

What i'll get. 5-3-2

Clark

Hill Rowles Sibbick Kingsley Cochrane

Devlin Snodgrass

Shankland Mckay

Ginnelly

We’ll just have to wait and see then, won’t we?

Edit: Folk from Hamilton agree with your post, so all is good.  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Walrus said:

I think Robbie said last night Gino is fine and was taken off as a precaution. 

Out for two months then.....

Nelly Terraces

I'm going to the game, but it's more in hope than expectation. I'll be giving the team full backing but sadly I only see one outcome & that's a fairly comfortable win for ceptic, I just don't see Neilson ever managing to instil in our team what it takes to beat either the OF.

Watt-Zeefuik

Just as I was sure we were going 5-3-2 on Wednesday, I’m that sure we’ll see a back 4 at Tynecastle.

weegie jambo

playing 3 in midfield is a must we will get over run with a two of Snoddy and grant

gorgierulesapply88
6 hours ago, Morgan said:

We’ll just have to wait and see then, won’t we?

Edit: Folk from Hamilton agree with your post, so all is good.  :thumbsup:

Who from where? 🤣

14 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Mackay plays for me.  He is pivotal for us. 
2-1 for us

Usually I would always want him to play but against Rangers and Celtic too often he is like a man short and we can't carry anyone tomorrow if we want to win. We need high energy in the midfield and I would leave him on the bench to bring on and hopefully make an impact from there. I think he will play though, undoubtedly he can be a match winner if he is on it, he's just never really been on it against Celtic, tomorrow would be a decent time to produce. I thought he was terrific against St Johnstone last week. 

Scott Leitch
31 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Usually I would always want him to play but against Rangers and Celtic too often he is like a man short and we can't carry anyone tomorrow if we want to win. We need high energy in the midfield and I would leave him on the bench to bring on and hopefully make an impact from there. I think he will play though, undoubtedly he can be a match winner if he is on it, he's just never really been on it against Celtic, tomorrow would be a decent time to produce. I thought he was terrific against St Johnstone last week. 

I don't think many players turn up for us against Rangers and Celtic to be fair. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
12 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

12 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

They are experienced though and no where to pick up the positions. Halliday seems to find something extra with them. Agree Grant, played very well recently. With 5 subs and potentially a 6th for extra time, if you can get 70 minutes of real endeavour, you can bring fresh legs and plenty on

Clark

Smith      Hill      Rowles     Cochrane

Sibbick        Snoddy       Kio     Grant 

Ginnelly  Shankland

ArcticJambo
55 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Kio should be starting for me. Doesn't deserve to lose his place.

Agree. While my 'reception' for Wed's game wasn't great and I couldn't really comment on his actual performance I feel the need for energy in the middle above anything else. Matching them for most of the game is a must!  Some have mentioned Sibbick as an alternative in there but I just don't see him being abe to live with their 'turn on a ha'penny bit' midfielders. Sibbick needs the ball in front of him. 

Thus I go with ...

Clark

Hill Sibbick Rowles Kingsley

Kio Devlin

Gino Grant McKay

Shankland

10 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Agree. While my 'reception' for Wed's game wasn't great and I couldn't really comment on his actual performance I feel the need for energy in the middle above anything else. Matching them for most of the game is a must!  Some have mentioned Sibbick as an alternative in there but I just don't see him being abe to live with their 'turn on a ha'penny bit' midfielders. Sibbick needs the ball in front of him. 

Thus I go with ...

Clark

Hill Sibbick Rowles Kingsley

Kio Devlin

Gino Grant McKay

Shankland

Yeah this should never be mentioned again. He isn't a midfielder.

Luckies1874
24 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Clark. 

Smith. Hill. Sibbick. Cochrane.  

Devlin. Snodric. Kio. 

Grant

Ginnelly. Shankland.  

Zero % chance Rowles doesn't start unless injured / ill.

34 minutes ago, ELITHEDUG said:

Clark

Smith      Hill      Rowles     Cochrane

Sibbick        Snoddy       Kio     Grant 

Ginnelly  Shankland

Where have you got Sibbick playing??

I would definitely play McKay but only if we go with Grant Devlin Kio as a 3, we need to give McKay he room to play, one pass can open up that Celtic defence and he’s got the ability. Get Shanks and hopefully Gino in front of him and we can cause them problems. One things for sure we’re not keeping a clean sheet, that’s not a dig at our defence their movement always creates chances and a few of them are clinical in front of goal. It’s going to be a tough watch but you never know we might have learnt enough from Wednesday to trouble them.