*** Official Celtic FC vs. Heart of Midlothian FC (8 Mar 2023) Match Thread ***

Watt-Zeefuik

3 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

i wonder if the aim here is to use the pace of Gino and Kuol tonight. If we rest Shankland they might not expect that and not know how to handle the pace of these two. Or they just absolutely rag doll us 😆

realistic is beating celtic at home in a one off game rather than a game away to Celtic in the league where no one has beaten Celtic since i can remember. the last time we played them it was a very fair game considering we had Stewart in goals and only got beat 2-0, with the second goal coming late in the game. If we rest players and we get beat, we have a stronger team ready to face Celtic at home in a game where we could go on a terrific cup run

The players seem to have had larger than normal gaps between fixtures recently. The protection is akin to those in their fifties playing fives. Getting gubbed with some novelty line up is no prep for the cup tie.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Hearts007

• Riccarton3

• neilnunb

pettigrewsstylist

More interested in avoiding cards and injuries for Sat, Pittodrie, killie etc tbh.

Its a massive free hit, unfortunately. Lets focus on games with a half  chance of success ( i include Sat in that).

Our "fringe" players are of a higher standard than i can remember. Nothing wrong in giving some of them gametime tonight IMO.

Kuol and Oda could tire a few legs out tonight just by their presence potentially. Might benefit us in a few days.

2 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Look, everyone, absolutely everyone has lost at Parkhead, there is literally therefore nothing to lose tonight

Exactly but it won't stop some bashing the players and manager when it happens. We have had some decent performances there the last couple of years, the 1-0 there last season I thought we played pretty well and only lost a goal that was clearly offside. 

I've yet to see us ever win the league there, used to go all the time but missed the 3-2 in 2000 as I was on a stag doo! Maybe I'm a jinx, did see us win there with Velicka in the cup but that's my lot with the exception of a few draws. 

6 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

More interested in avoiding cards and injuries for Sat, Pittodrie, killie etc tbh.

Its a massive free hit, unfortunately. Lets focus on games with a half  chance of success ( i include Sat in that).

Our "fringe" players are of a higher standard than i can remember. Nothing wrong in giving some of them gametime tonight IMO.

Kuol and Oda could tire a few legs out tonight just by their presence potentially. Might benefit us in a few days.

I would expect McKay and Ginnelly to be rested but whoever he brings in needs to have pace so we have something on the counter. I would also play Kio tonight, thought the last few games he's looked far better and he might be one that can get his foot on the ball. He's also decent for having in defending set pieces. Whoever plays needs to be right at it from the off though, Celtic come out the blocks at 100mph and look to have the game won early doors. 

john thomas
5 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Exactly but it won't stop some bashing the players and manager when it happens. We have had some decent performances there the last couple of years, the 1-0 there last season I thought we played pretty well and only lost a goal that was clearly offside. 

I've yet to see us ever win the league there, used to go all the time but missed the 3-2 in 2000 as I was on a stag doo! Maybe I'm a jinx, did see us win there with Velicka in the cup but that's my lot with the exception of a few draws. 

Stay at home then 

The Treasurer
33 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Here's me thinking securing 3rd  was the realistic target of the two.

Tonights result will have no bearing on where we finish in the league

14 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Yet the results over the last couple of years at Park head have been respectable without any points. This would suggest that a proper line up could compete. But the attitude is, give some folk a run out. Why not start with a strong 11 then shift priority if its going bad? You have 5 sub opportunities.

Edited by Riccarton3

Lord Beni of Gorgie
12 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Celtic haven't lost at home under Ange.

Not likely to happen tonight.

Even better if it does

Ex member of the SaS

If we sit in and try to defend for 90 minutes we will lose. The forwards and mids MUST get stuck in and make tackles long before they get to the edge of our box. Every player must give 100% and more.

Effectively surrendering before a ball is kicked. By all means rest players if you are 0-2 or worse at half time. We are a professional club with players conditioned to play football, not a works team.

We_are_the_Hearts
8 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Effectively surrendering before a ball is kicked. By all means rest players if you are 0-2 or worse at half time. We are a professional club with players conditioned to play football, not a works team.

Yip very sad. As a club and professional players these are the games they should be buzzing for, raise their game. Test against the best in the country. All very defeatist. 

39 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Always a first for everything 🤞

In terms of resource, we're closer to the team at the bottom than the team at the top.  But if and when we get beat, it'll be the usual noise on here. 

I'd rather lose tonight and win on Saturday.  More than that, I'd rather we won both, but can't see that happening.

On 07/03/2023 at 06:09, Sooks said:

Really not looking forward to this . Never seems to go well when we play one of the just before or just after a big cup game vs them . An injury and suspension free non heavy defeat would be a good result 

A defeat is a good result ? 

It’s fine to expect defeat. That’s certainly what I expect. It’s also possible that we’ll get hammered. Nothin unusual about that. But to describe ANY defeat as a good result ? Nah I’m not having that.

16 minutes ago, Haken said:

In terms of resource, we're closer to the team at the bottom than the team at the top.  But if and when we get beat, it'll be the usual noise on here. 

I'd rather lose tonight and win on Saturday.  More than that, I'd rather we won both, but can't see that happening.

IF the defeat is of such a nature as to hardly be worthy of the jersey, it (noise) will be entirely justified. As always. 

Resting players from the heavy schedule of Hamilton, Motherwell and St Johnstone, the latter 2 weeks after the previous one. Deary me. And, no, I'm not interested in a Cup tie a few days later. That shouldn't even be in their minds.

Edited by Riccarton3

HeartsandonlyHearts
47 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Will we have any non professionals playing tonight?

2 hours ago, LochcarronJambo said:

If that happened i would have a wee dance naked on the back green

***Pedant Alert***

It's a 0-2 win that'll have me doing that, even in the midst of our wee Arctic Blast.

A streak around George Sq doing a 'Beattie'. 😁

doctor jambo
1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

We have form for this kind of upset.

The invincibles anyone?

10 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Will we have any non professionals playing tonight?

I'm sure there's something clever in your post, just can't see it 🙂

Watt-Zeefuik
3 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

Clark

Hill  Sibbick  Rowles

Natty  Devlin  Grant  Kio  Cochrane

Shanks  Gino

I think this is the right idea, but I think we'll start Snoddy and Smith and sub them early.

Also think we'll go Hill Rowles Kingsley across the back, though also wouldn't be surprised to see Sibbick.

Grant starting at Parkhead worries me because of cards.

Also I think we'll see Humps or Kuol or someone else up front because Gino got a knock.

So maybe

Clark

Hill          Rowles      Kingsley

Smith        Dev            Kio        Cochrane

Snoddy

Shanks

Humps/Kuol

Edited by Led Tasso

42 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

IF the defeat is of such a nature as to hardly be worthy of the jersey, it (noise) will be entirely justified. As always. 

Resting players from the heavy schedule of Hamilton, Motherwell and St Johnstone, the latter 2 weeks after the previous one. Deary me. And, no, I'm not interested in a Cup tie a few days later. That shouldn't even be in their minds.

I didn't say anything about resting players.  

2 minutes ago, Haken said:

I didn't say anything about resting players.  

Sometimes I'll add stuff that relates to chat further up the thread

Luckies1874
8 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I think this is the right idea, but I think we'll start Snoddy and Smith and sub them early.

Also think we'll go Hill Rowles Kingsley across the back, though also wouldn't be surprised to see Sibbick.

Grant starting at Parkhead worries me because of cards.

Also I think we'll see Humps or Kuol or someone else up front because Gino got a knock.

So maybe

Clark

Hill          Rowles      Kingsley

Smith        Dev            Kio        Cochrane

Snoddy

Shanks

Humps/Kuol

I'd save Smith and Snodgrass for Saturday. I don't think either of them have the legs for the run around tonight, on a big pitch, when we won't have much of the ball and then a lunchtime match on Saturday when we will definitely need their experience. I'd play Kuol tonight because of the big pitch and the possibility we can get him in behind at times. 

gorgierulesapply88

Have the club opened up more tickets for season ticket holders yet? Embarassing, if that lot want to buy tickets in our end the same that happened last time would more than likely happen again and I can live with that.

gorgierulesapply88
1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

I'd save Smith and Snodgrass for Saturday. I don't think either of them have the legs for the run around tonight, on a big pitch, when we won't have much of the ball and then a lunchtime match on Saturday when we will definitely need their experience. I'd play Kuol tonight because of the big pitch and the possibility we can get him in behind at times. 

Won't happen but a front 3 of Kuol Oda Ginnelly. 3 fast players, take mr undroppable mckay out the firing line tonight. 

chester copperpot

I don't care if we have a game against them at the weekend, gerritae these ***** Hearts. 

HMFC till I die 

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, PapaShango said:

I would expect McKay and Ginnelly to be rested but whoever he brings in needs to have pace so we have something on the counter. I would also play Kio tonight, thought the last few games he's looked far better and he might be one that can get his foot on the ball. He's also decent for having in defending set pieces. Whoever plays needs to be right at it from the off though, Celtic come out the blocks at 100mph and look to have the game won early doors. 

Yip, would give game time tonight. Grant would benefit from at least another 45 tho to build on last Sat.

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, Riccarton3 said:

Yet the results over the last couple of years at Park head have been respectable without any points. This would suggest that a proper line up could compete. But the attitude is, give some folk a run out. Why not start with a strong 11 then shift priority if its going bad? You have 5 sub opportunities.

Think i explained it in original post. More interested in keeping current first picks clear and fit for more winnable games.

Every game is techinically winnable but some more than others eh.

Going to be a passive match thread tonight. Three down at half time but pleased no one is limping and no cards.

Just once, I would really, really like to do these arseholes at their own gaff.  We haven't beaten them there since 2009, and it's getting frustrating knowing that there is no point in even trying through there.

0-0 all match, before a 95th minute winner on the break please Hearts.  They would be absolutely ****ing spewing.  

loveofthegame
1 hour ago, Riccarton3 said:

It is the cold hard reality of playing against a club with infinitely higher resources and, sadly, a club that is currently using those resources very well with a very competent manager in charge. We haven't won there in a decade and I think you have to go back about 15 years since we won there in the league.

I agree with not resting players specifically, but wouldn't be unhappy with trying something tonight - perhaps rest Shankland and McKay and go with a front 3 filled with pace, Humprhys (physical too), Kuol and Gino. I'd personally go 4-3-3 to try get a foothold in midfield and fill the midfield with legs, so rest Snodgrass and go with Devlin, Grant and Kio.

So something like:

Clark

Smith Hill Rowles Cochrane

Grant Devlin Kio

Humps Gino  Kuol

But then maybe you save the surprise for Saturday...

The odds on us winning both have to be astronomical, and on that basis I hope we save our win for Saturday...

Again, a bit depressing, but the realities of life outside the OF are that you win the odd game in 10/20 v these sides. That gap sadly seems to be widening at the moment and not getting closer, much as we like to talk up our ambitions.

I'd take getting away without a skelping or any injuries tonight. 1/2/3-0 wouldn't upset me. It isn't a mentality I like but it is reality.

12 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

It is the cold hard reality of playing against a club with infinitely higher resources and, sadly, a club that is currently using those resources very well with a very competent manager in charge. We haven't won there in a decade and I think you have to go back about 15 years since we won there in the league.

I agree with not resting players specifically, but wouldn't be unhappy with trying something tonight - perhaps rest Shankland and McKay and go with a front 3 filled with pace, Humprhys (physical too), Kuol and Gino. I'd personally go 4-3-3 to try get a foothold in midfield and fill the midfield with legs, so rest Snodgrass and go with Devlin, Grant and Kio.

So something like:

Clark

Smith Hill Rowles Cochrane

Grant Devlin Kio

Humps Gino  Kuol

But then maybe you save the surprise for Saturday...

The odds on us winning both have to be astronomical, and on that basis I hope we save our win for Saturday...

Again, a bit depressing, but the realities of life outside the OF are that you win the odd game in 10/20 v these sides. That gap sadly seems to be widening at the moment and not getting closer, much as we like to talk up our ambitions.

I'd take getting away without a skelping or any injuries tonight. 1/2/3-0 wouldn't upset me. It isn't a mentality I like but it is reality.

It will interesting to see what be comes up with cos it might be one of those occasions where he's ironically in tune with posters who are rarely slow to put the boot in 😂 

Or goes near to full strength and and gets it in the neck for taking risks

Edited by Riccarton3

I’m usually going in with blind hope with my predictions however I’m being a bit more realistic tonight.

I’m terrified we are going to get scudded 6 nill.

2 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

I’m usually going in with blind hope with my predictions however I’m being a bit more realistic tonight.

If this happens then the management needs looking at as no other team lets in as many goals against them or rangers....i like you are sick of being thrashed...its time this stopped and we did well with perhaps a draw or better....

3 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

6-0 won't even register. No howling at the moon tonight. Maybe the odd tut at marking.

Heart says 1-0 Hearts coupled with a Rangers win against the filth.

Head says two wins for the Bigot brothers.

Naisys Tackle
3 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Tonights result will have no bearing on where we finish in the league

It would if we won.

Japan Jambo
16 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Your scenario would prompt the inevitable cliché from the pundits:-

"Perhaps Hearts have scored too early." 😁

That's almost as bad as, "It's harder to play against 10 men." (If true then we should just bleedin' well start with 10 from the 1st whistle)

Mind you, it would be a total hoot if we did score early and then parked 10 outfield players in and around our own box for the remainder of the game. It wouldn't do my constitution any favours, but would be interesting.

Having said that, yes, the inevitable injury time penalty in the 97th minute in this VAR age would be a stick-on certainty.

Previous experience would suggest that it's harder to play against 12 which as oft been the norm. Hopefully VAR continues to help rule out some of the sillier decisions. 

I predict some tinkering! Feels defeatist but I'd happily take a draw.

I wouldn't like Gino or Shanks to play the whole match.  Make the use of the 5 subs and keep as many as fresh and possible.  If Cochrane is out and Halliday isn't fit, Neilson in and Atkinson to the left?

Clark

Atkinson, Hill, Sibbick, Rowles, Halliday

Kio, Devlin, Grant

Forrest

Gino/Shanks

Subs - Stewart, Neilson, Shanks/Gino, Pollock, Oda, Kuol, McKay

Out - Humphreys, Kingsley (probably), Cochrane (hip - possibly), Halkett, Haring, Beni, Boyce, Mackay Steven

Would rest - Smith and Snodgrass

Big Fat Ange's 100th game in charge of Celtic tonight.

We do like ruining a Celtic party in recent years.  Please, please, please:

giphy.gif

11 minutes ago, Dusty said:

I wouldn't like Gino or Shanks to play the whole match.  Make the use of the 5 subs and keep as many as fresh and possible.  If Cochrane is out and Halliday isn't fit, Neilson in and Atkinson to the left?

Clark

Atkinson, Hill, Sibbick, Rowles, Halliday

Kio, Devlin, Grant

Forrest

Gino/Shanks

Subs - Stewart, Neilson, Shanks/Gino, Pollock, Oda, Kuol, McKay

Out - Humphreys, Kingsley (probably), Cochrane (hip - possibly), Halkett, Haring, Beni, Boyce, Mackay Steven

Would rest - Smith and Snodgrass

Atkinson on the left tonight would be awful! 

Pasquale for King
Just now, PapaShango said:

Atkinson on the left tonight would be awful! 

But not unexpected.