***Official Hamilton v Heart of Midlothian Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

Voice of reason
14 hours ago, Mac80 said:

Hamilton have a game tomorrow night as well. 

It will be interesting to see what type of team Hamilton put out tomorrow night in the Challenge Cup Semi-Final against Queen of the South. Will they prioritise a cup they can win or rest players for the Hearts game? Not that it should worry us too much - as long as we have a good attitude and work ethic then we’ll win comfortably.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jamboozy

• Bazzas right boot

• Naisys Tackle

• Marvin

Hill is obviously good but think we need to persist with Sibbick Rowles Kingsley while they are all fit 

I’m concerned about Rowles in middle but if he can’t adapt/grow then better to find out now

59 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

Surely we want Rangers and Celtic to draw each other (never going to happen) in the next round?

Opens up the possibility of another team sneaking past one of them though.

We want an Old Firm semi final to take care of one of them, and ideally a run like us beating Hamilton (obviously) and then a quarter final vs Darvel/Falkirk or Ayr/Elgin in the next match before getting the other semi final against someone like Motherwell. 

Edited by tian447

4 minutes ago, R1874 said:

Hill is obviously good but think we need to persist with Sibbick Rowles Kingsley while they are all fit 

I’m concerned about Rowles in middle but if he can’t adapt/grow then better to find out now

Kingsley really shouldn't be selected. He has been dire since coming back from injury and is disrupting a very solid backline. 

Horatio Caine

It's already been pointed out on this thread that the thug McKinnon plays for Hamilton.  He was involved in a very unsavoury moment a few years back - was it in a match with us?  Maybe at Livi?  Or was it against another team?  Or am I imagining all that?

3 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

It's already been pointed out on this thread that the thug McKinnon plays for Hamilton.  He was involved in a very unsavoury moment a few years back - was it in a match with us?  Maybe at Livi?  Or was it against another team?  Or am I imagining all that?

He retired years ago

29 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

It will be interesting to see what type of team Hamilton put out tomorrow night in the Challenge Cup Semi-Final against Queen of the South. Will they prioritise a cup they can win or rest players for the Hearts game? Not that it should worry us too much - as long as we have a good attitude and work ethic then we’ll win comfortably.

Don’t think they’ll have a big enough squad to be able to rest many players and still put out a competitive team. 

4-3-3 for me please 

Clark

Atkinson Sibbick Rowles Cochrane 

Grant  Kio  Snodgrass 

Kuol Humphrys McKay

Get wired in 3-0

1 hour ago, Horatio Caine said:

Kicked a Hearts player in the head

7 hours ago, wheelyjim said:

I wouldnt expect Devlin to play on the artificial - its hamstring central.

Aye you’re probably right. Any word on Devlin’s injury?

21 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Bob said after game Saturday, next game is most important and it will be best team he can play. Source, Bob, Radio Scotland, post match interview when quizzed on Scottish Cup being best chance (only chance) of winning something

14 hours ago, Thomaso said:

“Bob”! 🙄

14 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Never been a fan of the name Robbie, sounds like a name for a child or a small dog, Rob, no imagination, Bob sounds like a proper name for a manager.  There, like it or lump it

13 hours ago, Thomaso said:

OK I’ll lump it! 😕

Strange thing to get yer knickers in a twist about. I can't imagine what you might think of my personal favourite, "Sherbet".

28 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Strange thing to get yer knickers in a twist about. I can't imagine what you might think of my personal favourite, "Sherbet".

As soon as things go wrong he'll stop being Bob and become Neilson.

Robbie Neilson pinpoints the area where Hearts must improve as the manager delivers an honest assessment

Robbie Neilson wants Hearts to rediscover their trademark aggressive start to matches after admitting they were too passive against Dundee United.

The Tynecastle manager will demand a more positive opening from his players, who found themselves behind early on against Rangers and United in their last two matches. They visit Hamilton in the Scottish Cup on Friday night having converted a 1-0 half-time deficit into a 3-1 victory against United following Ryan Edwards’ red card.

“We didn’t start the game well, lost an early goal and were always fighting back from that,” Neilson conceded to the Evening News. “We had opportunities to play forward and play aggressively and didn’t use them, so that’s something we need to get better at. When we play forward we can hurt teams but when we play back then the opposition can press us and it makes it difficult.

“We really need to get back to starting games on the front foot and being positive. Yes, the resilience is great. I think the patience has got to be there as well. We changed our shape into a four-man midfield to stretch Dundee United. When you play against ten men, it’s difficult because they camp in and make it difficult. You just need to wait, keep moving the ball, wait for spaces to open up and then take your chance. We managed to do that

From EEN. The slow build up from the back right from the start is the reason for the slow start. Maybe just going direct in the first phase  of games is what we need to do.

5 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Robbie Neilson pinpoints the area where Hearts must improve as the manager delivers an honest assessment

Robbie Neilson wants Hearts to rediscover their trademark aggressive start to matches after admitting they were too passive against Dundee United.

The Tynecastle manager will demand a more positive opening from his players, who found themselves behind early on against Rangers and United in their last two matches. They visit Hamilton in the Scottish Cup on Friday night having converted a 1-0 half-time deficit into a 3-1 victory against United following Ryan Edwards’ red card.

“We didn’t start the game well, lost an early goal and were always fighting back from that,” Neilson conceded to the Evening News. “We had opportunities to play forward and play aggressively and didn’t use them, so that’s something we need to get better at. When we play forward we can hurt teams but when we play back then the opposition can press us and it makes it difficult.

“We really need to get back to starting games on the front foot and being positive. Yes, the resilience is great. I think the patience has got to be there as well. We changed our shape into a four-man midfield to stretch Dundee United. When you play against ten men, it’s difficult because they camp in and make it difficult. You just need to wait, keep moving the ball, wait for spaces to open up and then take your chance. We managed to do that

From EEN. The slow build up from the back right from the start is the reason for the slow start. Maybe just going direct in the first phase  of games is what we need to do.

Interesting stuff from Robbie. A few folk on here were savaged for suggesting we go more direct. Anyone can see there's sometimes too many passes along the back line. Glad RN is on the case.

11 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Aye you’re probably right. Any word on Devlin’s injury?

Not other than the press - sorry am not ITK as others seem to be - Even Sir Nodric would be a doubt for me for the same reason- also not sure about all this first team crap - our bench should pump them - if Kio doesn't start Id be amazed - best regards

Edited by wheelyjim
fat fingers

Don't think we should be resting anyone unless they are actively injured. Biggest game of the season so far and we have 9 days between this and our next game.

Sure they play QotS tonight in the Challenge cup semi final. Be interesting to see if they rest anyone. Can't imagine their squad is big enough to allow it and with no disrespect to Hamilton, we are clearly the better squad and with them playing tonight and getting two days rest in between, I don't see much past a comprehensive win on Friday night. 

bringonthesevco
11 hours ago, tazhearts said:

Surely we want Rangers and Celtic to draw each other (never going to happen) in the next round?

Its a really tough one, for group stage football we need to finish 3rd and one of the top 3 win the cup.

So, our chances of winning the cup definitely increase if  Celtic and The Rangers get knocked out...

But so do everyone elses chances of winning it !

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

This  'slow start' seems to be the new myth on JKB. We've scored in the first 25 mins in 12 of our games this season. The recent wins against Hibs we scored in the first 10 minutes and against Aberdeen it was the first 15 minutes. You then see folk on here confidently stating we never start games well or we're always hopeless in the first half. Clear evidence that folk either (a) see what they want to see or (b) are utterly clueless...

9 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Interesting stuff from Robbie. A few folk on here were savaged for suggesting we go more direct. Anyone can see there's sometimes too many passes along the back line. Glad RN is on the case.

good news - thanks for posting

1 hour ago, Wee Mikey said:

I think folk should get a nickname suitable to their sexual preferences.

Anyway, enough about Bob, how’s things with you Spanky? 😐

9 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

This  'slow start' seems to be the new myth on JKB. We've scored in the first 25 mins in 12 of our games this season. The recent wins against Hibs we scored in the first 10 minutes and against Aberdeen it was the first 15 minutes. You then see folk on here confidently stating we never start games well or we're always hopeless in the first half. Clear evidence that folk either (a) see what they want to see or (b) are utterly clueless...

jkb myth perpetuated by Robbie. He seems to be saying the same thing no?

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

jkb myth perpetuated by Robbie. He seems to be saying the same thing no?

No. Quite the opposite. He said we started badly the last 2 games. Clearly stating we hadn't implemented our 'usual' fast start.

13 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Excluding the European games, in 26 games this season, We have went behind in 11 games before half time.  10 of those goals came before 20 minutes.

5 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Excluding the European games, in 26 games this season, We have went behind in 11 games before half time.  10 of those goals came before 20 minutes.

Just now, Lovecraft said:

If you add the European games - in 3 of those, we were a goal behind within 6 minutes.

Just now, Lovecraft said:

Facts.

So we don't always start slowly or badly. Thanks for reinforcing the point.

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Something to improve on, but that means in  15/26 we haven't been behind in.

We also had serious defensive issues early on,  that has improved very recently.

Ofc, Everything can be improved on but it doesn't prove we start most games slowly. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

So we don't always start slowly or badly. Thanks for reinforcing the point.

Out of the 26 games, we have went ahead in the first half 8 times.

So the numbers are 10 games behind first and 8 in front.

1 minute ago, Lovecraft said:

Out of the 26 games, we have went ahead in the first half 8 times.

So the numbers are 10 games behind first and 8 in front.

Exactly. So we don't 'always' start badly. The point in question. 

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

Exactly. So we don't 'always' start badly. The point in question. 

A bit of a mix.  But 10 teams scoring before 20 minutes suggests we do sometimes have a slow start.

2 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

A bit of a mix.  But 10 teams scoring before 20 minutes suggests we do sometimes have a slow start.

Of course we start some games really badly. All football teams do. We also start some games very well. Which some fans seem unable to appreciate.

In 30 games this season, we have been behind after the first 20 minutes in 13 games.  In the same 30, we have been ahead in 5 of those.

This overwhelmingly shows we are more likely to have a slow start than a good one.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

In 30 games this season, we have been behind after the first 20 minutes in 13 games.  In the same 30, we have been ahead in 5 of those.

This overwhelmingly shows we are more likely to have a slow start than a good one.

Last ten games where we've had a more settled defence,  not played the OF,  Fiorentina and Istanbul much?

I think you'll find that statistic improves by a margin when the opposition is considered and our defensive mess from earlier was fixed.

There is always room for improvement tho.

Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

Last ten games where we've had a more settled defence,  not played the OF,  Fiorentina and Istanbul much?

I think you'll find that statistic improves by a margin when the opposition is considered and our defensive mess from earlier was fixed.

There is always room for improvement tho.

Yeah, the majority of those games we have went behind early are either the OF or European teams.

The Apprentice

11 hours ago, Horatio Caine said:

11 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

He retired years ago

He's on the coaching staff now and was sent off at the weekend for an 'altercation' on the bench.  Sounds like he's not changed much.

9 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

How many of those games were Rangers, Celtic, Istanbul and Fiorentina ?

40 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

No. Quite the opposite. He said we started badly the last 2 games. Clearly stating we hadn't implemented our 'usual' fast start.

Aye, I get that. So you think JKB posters were moaning about slow starts in games we scored early or (a recent example) when we were 4 up at half time? Don't think so. Folk were probably moaning about slow starts in games we started slowly in.

Bazzas right boot

2 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Yeah, the majority of those games we have went behind early are either the OF or European teams.

Interesting stuff tho.

We also liked to go 2, 3 or 4 behind a5 that time...

11 hours ago, Mr Kipling said:

Kingsley really shouldn't be selected. He has been dire since coming back from injury and is disrupting a very solid backline. 

I thought he’d been pretty poor in the first half of the season too. Obviously, he’s been disrupted by a couple of injuries but he doesn’t look half the player he was last season. Rowles and Cochrane are first picks for me.

12 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Aye, I get that. So you think JKB posters were moaning about slow starts in games we scored early or (a recent example) when we were 4 up at half time? Don't think so. Folk were probably moaning about slow starts in games we started slowly in.

Have you heard at Tynecastle or read on here 'we always start so slowly' or words to that effect?

3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Have you heard at Tynecastle or read on here 'we always start so slowly' or words to that effect?

Not sure if I've heard those exact words or not. What I'm saying is folk only moan about it when we start slowly.

Pasquale for King
28 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

He's on the coaching staff now and was sent off at the weekend for an 'altercation' on the bench.  Sounds like he's not changed much.

He might toughen Connor Smith up while hes there, scored a brilliant goal at the weekend. 

Was hoping to get a look at Jamie Hamilton but dunno if he's injured or what? Doesn't seem to have played for them in the last wee while.