Top Posters In This Topic

• Nucky Thompson

• hughesie27

• jack D and coke

• vegas-voss

On 10/02/2023 at 08:49, Alan_R said:

It's well made.

Well acted.

Maybe they are playing the long game knowing it will get more seasons...

But (as a non-gamer) I'm starting to think it's just going to be overhype.

We are almost half way in the series and it's fine but it's hardly moved.

So far I'd compare it to 4 filler episodes of walking dead. 

I'll stick with it but I suspect it will live off of fanboys of the game. My mates raving about it so far trying to tell me its a social commentary etc. While that may be true of the game I'm not seeing it so far in the TV series.

I keep harping back to the game and thinking  the game does it much better episode 5 for example in the game really had me feeling really shitty about what happend but the TV show just didn't ( maybe cause I played the game yes but I think it was more than that ).So for me I think episode 3 is by far the best done episode.

I don't know anything about the game but I have seen all 5 episodes of the show. I like it, people say it's slow paced but whatever the producers have in mind maybe this is the way it has to be.

It has taken this time establishing a bond between Joel and Ellie, because at first she was just an irritant to him. They have slowly built it to a point where he's becoming more paternal and emotionally invested in her.

Thought episode 6 was brilliantly scripted and acted, that guy who plays Joel put in an outstanding performance. Liked his performance in GOT as well. 

On 18/02/2023 at 03:35, JFK-1 said:

I don't know anything about the game but I have seen all 5 episodes of the show. I like it, people say it's slow paced but whatever the producers have in mind maybe this is the way it has to be.

It has taken this time establishing a bond between Joel and Ellie, because at first she was just an irritant to him. They have slowly built it to a point where he's becoming more paternal and emotionally invested in her.

The game itself was relatively slow paced at times as well. There were times when Ellie and Joel just walked along, conversing with one another. 
It’s not as boring as it sounds as I thought it helped build the chemistry between the pair. 

56 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

The game itself was relatively slow paced at times as well. There were times when Ellie and Joel just walked along, conversing with one another. 
It’s not as boring as it sounds as I thought it helped build the chemistry between the pair. 

It's what makes the original game stand out.

The actual gameplay in LOU is fairly average.  It was all about how the game built up the story and the relationship between the two.

I think the main reason it has carried over so well, is that Druckman has obviously been heavily involved and the game was kinda already written as an episodic HBO TV show.

Edit to add that the actors performing in the game nailed it too.

Edited by Lovecraft

20 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

It's what makes the original game stand out.

The actual gameplay in LOU is fairly average.  It was all about how the game built up the story and the relationship between the two.

I think the main reason it has carried over so well, is that Druckman has obviously been heavily involved and the game was kinda already written as an episodic HBO TV show.

Edit to add that the actors performing in the game nailed it too.

Yeah, the gameplay was fairly bog standard. Pretty much the same type that you find in a lot of other games. It was the characters and the story that made it the great game that it was.

Edited by iantjambo

Just now, benny said:

I'm enjoying it but any more than 2 seasons I can see me getting bored.

I am enjoying it too but was thinking it’s getting similar to “ the walking dead “ . They meet new people each week etc then move on etc . I do like the pace of the show . It’s letting us know the characters and see how the bond is progressing wit the two main characters . 

2 minutes ago, benny said:

I'm enjoying it but any more than 2 seasons I can see me getting bored.

Only got two games anyway so unless they split the 2nd game into two parts.HBO are usually good at wrapping up a show so if it's only got two season in it they won't worry about ending it.

Dean Winchester
3 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Where's the giraffes 🤣

I think they've maybe just moved this around. They rejigged a lot in that episode with things from Part 2 and I can't see them leaving it out.

Still enjoying it but felt the University sequence felt very rushed. 

Spoiler

I guess they have a lot to get through with the remaining 3 episodes though:
7 - Left Behind DLC

8 - Winter

9 - Hospital

But still think an extra few mins of action would have made a big difference here. Ellie was a badass in the game and saved Joels life. She done SFA here :lol: 

Nucky Thompson
6 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Where's the giraffes 🤣

The Giraffes don't appear until Salt Lake City in the game

18 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The Giraffes don't appear until Salt Lake City in the game

That long since I played it I thought we were at the Zoo bit 

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

That long since I played it I thought we were at the Zoo bit 

Not yet. The monkeys were from the University test labs

Salt Lake City has the zoo and hospital where the fireflies are based

I'm guessing we might see the Giraffes in episode 8 or 9 

20 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Not yet. The monkeys were from the University test labs

Salt Lake City has the zoo and hospital where the fireflies are based

I'm guessing we might see the Giraffes in episode 8 or 9 

I thought the rules of this thread were clear. Past tense only.

Gonna be looking for a dramatic sequence involving giraffes now in every episode.

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, Americana said:

Gonna be looking for a dramatic sequence involving giraffes now in every episode.

Sorry mate, my bad.

It's not really giving anything of the story away.

No drama involving giraffes :biggrin2: the drama is imagining what would happen to wild zoo animals in an apocalypse 

2 hours ago, Americana said:

Yes there is a spoiler button. Although mentioning giraffes isnt a massive plot spoiler i would assume :)  

13 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes there is a spoiler button. Although mentioning giraffes isnt a massive plot spoiler i would assume :)  

You wont be saying that when a giraffe kills Joel with a head shot from a sniper.

Nucky Thompson

Episode 7 is based on the left behind game.

I've not played left behind as I played the 1st edition the last of us when it got released in 2013 and left behind was an add on in the remastered version

It ties into the story quiet well

jack D and coke
14 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I've binge watched up until episode 7, 

It's alright, but a lot of it was pretty boring.

If I hadn’t played the games and knew nothing about it I doubt I’d have got this far either. 
Dull as. 

Last episode was a let down. After five minutes you knew pretty much what it was about.

All in all its not been the best season , couple of good episodes.

Think if they were going to do a Game to TV Series "Gears of War" would be a better shout.

3 hours ago, Americana said:

Last episode was a let down. After five minutes you knew pretty much what it was about.

All in all its not been the best season , couple of good episodes.

Think if they were going to do a Game to TV Series "Gears of War" would be a better shout.

If it got made into a TV show or movie guaranteed they would **** that up.Look at the likes of Doom and Resident Evil.

Edit - animated series currently in Development at Netflix for Gears and a film is being made as well which will come out first.

Edited by vegas-voss

luckyBatistuta

Played both games, but now two episodes behind, but not sure I can even be bothered watching. Found myself drifting off to sleep in every episode, pretty boring stuff as a tv show. Gutted to as I really like Pedro Pascal, amazing in Narcos and really good in Mandalorian too

Ellie is absolute pish in this as well.The more I watch of it the worst she gets.Its really poor casting and I just can't see her becoming a convincing badass.

In the game it felt you had an emotional connection with the characters and not just the mains.Im left not really caring about any of them in the TV show.

12 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Ellie is absolute pish in this as well.The more I watch of it the worst she gets.Its really poor casting and I just can't see her becoming a convincing badass.

Really? I mean we've seen her developing and her character just stepped up majorly in the latest episode (unless badass only = violent). 

I've found her performances in this quite spellbinding to be honest, she has a lot to sell acting opposite Pascal. That said, the best actor on the show was killed off too early. :(

52 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Really? I mean we've seen her developing and her character just stepped up majorly in the latest episode (unless badass only = violent). 

I've found her performances in this quite spellbinding to be honest, she has a lot to sell acting opposite Pascal. That said, the best actor on the show was killed off too early. :(

I don't find her convincing at all again maybe it's the game has me feeling this way but I don't feel she is a convincing Ellie.

2 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

I don't find her convincing at all again maybe it's the game has me feeling this way but I don't feel she is a convincing Ellie.

See this is how I felt when I first saw she'd been given the role but having watched the show I feel she's absolutely aced it and got Ellie down to a tee and Pedro Pascal has been brilliant as well. The performances in general, especially Nick Offerman, Murray Bartlett, Keivonn Woodward and Melanie Lynskey have all been top tier. 

The show on the whole has been excellent although I can understand people who haven't played the games going into it expecting some sort of action packed zombie series and coming away disapppointed. It's been years since I played Part One but I'm playing Part Two at the moment and I think the pacing of the show feels pretty close the game. They're primarily character driven games about developing relationships, the most interesting bits are the quieter periods of down time in between the action sequences, so I'm quite happy that the series has focused mostly on that and that the infected and more actiony elements have been used sparingly. 

Edited by Jamboross

Ellie was more convincing in Game of Thrones.

I've not played any the games so my opinion is purely based on the TV series, but that was a poor episode. Even for back story.

On 21/02/2023 at 10:02, vegas-voss said:

Only got two games anyway so unless they split the 2nd game into two parts.HBO are usually good at wrapping up a show so if it's only got two season in it they won't worry about ending it.

They'd need 2 seasons to cover everything that happens in Part 2 I think. Or at least a 15 or so episode season.

3 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

She played one of the biggest badasses in Game of Thrones about 6 years ago.

JudyJudyJudy

I was wondering if some of the backlash about the series is in regards to anti LGB alphabet ? However I was thinking that even if the story line regarding Ellie was a hetero one it would still bog down the show I feel .

The series is really quite uneven . Is is a sci fi futuristic zombie type apocalypse series or is it a study in how humans survive after a pandemic . It’s hard to work out as it’s quite uneven. 

Best episode by far was the “ gay” episode but again that was more just a character study as such . 

I’m enjoying it but it’s not got an identity as such . 

ps I haven’t a clue about the video game so can’t compare them . 

9 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I was wondering if some of the backlash about the series is in regards to anti LGB alphabet ? However I was thinking that even if the story line regarding Ellie was a hetero one it would still bog down the show I feel .

The series is really quite uneven . Is is a sci fi futuristic zombie type apocalypse series or is it a study in how humans survive after a pandemic . It’s hard to work out as it’s quite uneven. 

Best episode by far was the “ gay” episode but again that was more just a character study as such . 

It's not about zombies per se, like in the game the character development, storyline and exploration of humanity post apocalyptic event, is punctuated by the undead intruding at key moments. 

My only real complaint about the show is that the flash-back style of informing character development can mess with the narrative drive a bit. Probably not any show that has fully managed to do this without losing some momentum. 

A minor grumble was knowing Anna Torv would only have a cameo role really, because she stole the show and I've frankly no idea why she hasn't appeard in more high quality productions post Fringe. 

JudyJudyJudy
26 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

It's not about zombies per se, like in the game the character development, storyline and exploration of humanity post apocalyptic event, is punctuated by the undead intruding at key moments. 

My only real complaint about the show is that the flash-back style of informing character development can mess with the narrative drive a bit. Probably not any show that has fully managed to do this without losing some momentum. 

A minor grumble was knowing Anna Torv would only have a cameo role really, because she stole the show and I've frankly no idea why she hasn't appeard in more high quality productions post Fringe. 

Who’s Anna Torv ? 

40 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I think you are right it's more about surging after a pandemic

28 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Fringe was a great show fell away a bit as shows do but great TV nonetheless 

Nucky Thompson
37 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Who’s Anna Torv ? 

She played Tess, Joel's partner in the first couple of episodes 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

She played Tess, Joel's partner in the first couple of episodes 

Cheers

Greedy Jambo
7 hours ago, Gizmo said:

That's not my only complaint but i agree with that, every time it went back in time, i was like, oh ffs, not again. 

luckyBatistuta
42 minutes ago, R9. said:

Watched this weeks last night and about 20 mins in eyes were going felt like it was on for about and hour. 9 ep and 2 of them have been flash backs to years in the past. 3 if you include the first ep. 

I know it would of been different to the game but could of had more in the present than full eps of what happened years ago.

I can’t take to Elle also. What makes it a harder watch.

Yup, straight off the bat, myself and my boys weren’t sold on the casting of Elle

Episode 7 was good.

That's more like the Ellie I know from the game 

Sets it up perfectly for the ending. That hug at the end :(

JudyJudyJudy

Episode 7 was good.

That's more like the Ellie I know from the game 

It really was an outstanding episode yet again . She’s a fine actress . As one can see the vulnerable , needy child underneath the harsh exterior . 

As a huge fan of the game I don’t see how they could have adapted this any better so far. The casting has been perfect, and while there’s not as much action or infected as in the game it’s still been superb! Gutted there’s only 1 episode left…