• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Hearts007

• Naisys Tackle

• briever

Can't see anything other than a defeat. Dogged resistance is my only hope.

The game vs. Motherwell is now far more important. 

Having said that, good luck to the lads and lassies going to Istanbul. Safe trip there, sing yourself hoarse, have a blast and a safe return home.

:flagwave:

56 minutes ago, Masonic said:

1-0 Shankland on the scorecast for a repeat of Bordeaux with MDV

Its on BT Sport 3 luckily for those who cant make it

That would do! I was there that night and going this week so hopefully similar score. 

Full strength squad (as best we can manage). The travelling support deserve nothing less and it's not a 'dead rubber' given the potential ££s at stake.

It’s a pity last Thursday’s result in Florence killed it for us, even though it would have taken two highly improbable results this week for us to finish second anyway.

Still think we may get a decent result in Istanbul. Good luck to all who’re going.

A win guarantees them top spot so suspect they’ll be up for it.

Hard to know who to play and who to rest dependant upon injuries, however we should pick our best side in terms of who we think will be available for Sunday, and then tailor Thursdays selection around that in terms of who needs rest/minutes. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to leave those carrying knocks at home.

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

So badly cannot be ****ed with this game. 

Probably time to focus on the league. Not even sure we can actually field a youth team since the squad is locked in. 

Just do two banks of 5 and see if we can grind out a point. 

8 minutes ago, Djnoisy said:

Play the kids and those on the fringes.  Europe is done for this season. League is now the focus.  

Not for me we would take an absolute tanking and everyone would be up in arms. Got to show respect to the competition and the fans who have paid to go. They deserve us trying to get something from the game and there is money at stake as well. 

1 minute ago, PapaShango said:

Not for me we would take an absolute tanking and everyone would be up in arms. Got to show respect to the competition and the fans who have paid to go. They deserve us trying to get something from the game and there is money at stake as well. 

Not much of a trade off for getting more players injured. People like Michael smith and Halliday are on already running on empty. Even with our strongest 11 we’d struggle. Definitely a game to give your fringe players a game and keep the rest for Sunday. 

Just now, Djnoisy said:

Not much of a trade off for getting more players injured. People like Michael smith and Halliday are on already running on empty. Even with our strongest 11 we’d struggle. Definitely a game to give your fringe players a game and keep the rest for Sunday. 

We don’t have a big enough squad though to rest players with the injuries we have. 

11 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

I agree with your ethos.

Plus (as has already been pointed out) we can only play players registered for the competition.

Full-strength squad, for me.

I despise the manner whereby EPL teams treat anything other than their domestic/Champions league as some sort of inconvenience.

Edited by Wee Mikey

Are we not obligated to field our strongest team in the competition 

do uefa not penalise teams for resting players etc?

I honestly have no idea, just wondering.

2 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

In theory, thems the rules, but never (as far as I'm aware) been enforced. You see it all the time with EPL clubs whether it be their League cup matches, or 'lower level' Euro ties.

Must drive paying fans bonkers!

1 minute ago, Wee Mikey said:

In theory, thems the rules, but never (as far as I'm aware) been enforced. You see it all the time with EPL clubs whether it be their League cup matches, or 'lower level' Euro ties.

Must drive paying fans bonkers!

Cheers, yeh I’m always wanting my team to play the strongest 11 

unkess it was last game of the season and if we lose Hibs get relegated.

then I’d field the U18’s.

I'd expect Forrest and Grant to come in for Mackay and Snodgrass. Other than that, there aren't many alternatives so we'll struggle to rotate as much as we'd like without really weakening the side.

Fingers crossed a player or two are ready to return from injury. Maybe Humphrys is most likely as he said he was out for about 1 week when interviewed on BT before the RFS game.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Honestly don't care. Give C Smith, Pollock and Darge a run out and rest the veterans. I'll be sleeping through it on Friday morning. Motherwell is far more important now.

5 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

I'd expect Forrest and Grant to come in for Mackay and Snodgrass. Other than that, there aren't many alternatives so we'll struggle to rotate as much as we'd like without really weakening the side.

Fingers crossed a player or two are ready to return from injury. Maybe Humphrys is most likely as he said he was out for about 1 week when interviewed on BT before the RFS game.

Think Haring must also be close that’s 2 weeks he’s been out with concussion so should be able to come in. Halkett was also talked about as maybe travelling and getting some minutes. Would be encouraging even if he’s on the bench. Would be good if him and Rowles are back next week. 

21 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Well yes BUT we can play anybody named in our squad of 30 (THIRTY) players … rules are rules!!

Edited by Jambo-Fox

5 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Cheers, yeh I’m always wanting my team to play the strongest 11 

unkess it was last game of the season and if we lose Hibs get relegated.

then I’d field the U18’s.

The only problem with that strategy is that h1b5 would still H1b5 it, so it wouldn't really matter.

They'd get pumped 6-nil v St J whilst our under 18's would put up a good fight v Celtic.

Just now, Locky said:

Don't get pumped, and don't get injured. Cheers.

Neither of these outcomes are on the cards for me tonight. 🤭

7 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

This is our squad for the Conference 

332DFC6C-6565-4A9B-874F-3C255E585F14.jpeg

32CFE578-13C8-4843-9FE9-8C744E6CF055.jpeg

C4C5EE0A-C419-446C-9D06-F004196DDDBB.jpeg

3C681FEC-6026-41A0-A937-FFC61E3FD316.jpeg

Edited by Jambo-Fox

1 minute ago, Wee Mikey said:

Neither of these outcomes are on the cards for me tonight. 🤭

I sincerely hope my missus' pregnancy hormones don't kick in tonight. :ninja: 

26 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Honestly don't care. Give C Smith, Pollock and Darge a run out and rest the veterans. I'll be sleeping through it on Friday morning. Motherwell is far more important now.

It really isn’t. Motherwell is 3 points, Istanbul is €500k for a win and €160k for a draw. We entered Europe to make us stronger so we can do it all again next season and lay a marker down as the firmly established third force/best of the rest. We need finances to improve the squad and grow the club. We will be taking this game seriously and hoping for a draw at least. We could still lose on Sunday and a lost 3 points might have no bearing on the outcome of league positions at the end of the domestic campaign. Of course a win on Thursday and on Sunday would be the perfect scenario. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, SMJ_1874 said:

It really isn’t. Motherwell is 3 points, Istanbul is €500k for a win and €160k for a draw. We entered Europe to make us stronger so we can do it all again next season and lay a marker down as the firmly established third force/best of the rest. We need finances to improve the squad and grow the club. We will be taking this game seriously and hoping for a draw at least. We could still lose on Sunday and a lost 3 points might have no bearing on the outcome of league positions at the end of the domestic campaign. Of course a win on Thursday and on Sunday would be the perfect scenario. 

I would agree if I thought we could compete. The Turks took the piss out of us at Tynecastle although Her Maj's death did distort the whole second half. Having accepted they are going to win, and they need to, I'm comfortable moving on to the Sunday.

2 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I would agree if I thought we could compete. The Turks took the piss out of us at Tynecastle although Her Maj's death did distort the whole second half. Having accepted they are going to win, and they need to, I'm comfortable moving on to the Sunday.

We’ll take comfort knowing RFS took a draw over there with 10 men. Nothing to fear as it’s a dead rubber. We will compete but maybe not in the way most of us hope. Hopefully the Turks will have their guard down but although I’m fairly upbeat about our chances, I still think we’ll get beat. As long as we go down swinging though and put in a performance that doesn’t see us capitulate after 4/5 mins then who knows 🤷‍♂️

The most important thing now is to cement our position as the 3rd best team so league takes priority. The money we get next season for finishing 3rd and qualifying for Europe again, far outweighs anything we get for a result on Thursday. We can't rest everybody, just want to get through the game with no more injuries, the result is immaterial. 

Looking forward to the trip but not looking forward to rocking up to Glasgow Airport at 4.30 am on Wednesday  😂

Doctor FinnBarr
12 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

18.30 KO for anyone over there who may be as "confused as a newt". Mrs Saunders is a gem and will keep me right.

2 minutes ago, gerryjambo41 said:

Looking forward to the trip but not looking forward to rocking up to Glasgow Airport at 4.30 am on Wednesday  😂

I'll refer you to my above post mate, hopefully no one will sell you schnapps.

About the same time Edinburgh airport for us.

Just now, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I'll stay well clear of any random schnapps sellers 😂 

27 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Leaving New York 9pm Tuesday night.

Can't wait!

There's only 4 games left including this one until the world cup break. Got to put our best team out for this one and hope for a decent performance. 

Need to set up and play the way we did v celtic. Push on and give them no time on the ball in our half. 

2 hours ago, SMJ_1874 said:

The game means nothing to us other than money, but to Istanbul, who to me has easily looked the strongest side in our group and has to have a decent shot to win the whole competition, have everything to play for, including padding the GD.

I hate to write a game off in general but if there's ever a time, this is it. Either park the bus and try to hold on for a nil-nil tie, or put in the kids and the reserves and tell them it's a free hit and to enjoy the night and ignore the scoreboard.

2 hours ago, SMJ_1874 said:

We’ll take comfort knowing RFS took a draw over there with 10 men. Nothing to fear as it’s a dead rubber. We will compete but maybe not in the way most of us hope. Hopefully the Turks will have their guard down but although I’m fairly upbeat about our chances, I still think we’ll get beat. As long as we go down swinging though and put in a performance that doesn’t see us capitulate after 4/5 mins then who knows 🤷‍♂️

It’s not a dead rubber for the Turks. They’ll most probably need to win to win the group

21 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It’s not a dead rubber for the Turks. They’ll most probably need to win to win the group

They not only need a win, they'll want a comfortable goal padding. They have a 4 goal advantage in the GD category over Fiorentina. I imagine they'll be thinking of putting a minimum of three past us.

I'd much rather we took it as an overseas friendly and played for fun.

Doctor FinnBarr
30 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

The game means nothing to us other than money, but to Istanbul, who to me has easily looked the strongest side in our group and has to have a decent shot to win the whole competition, have everything to play for, including padding the GD.

I hate to write a game off in general but if there's ever a time, this is it. Either park the bus and try to hold on for a nil-nil tie, or put in the kids and the reserves and tell them it's a free hit and to enjoy the night and ignore the scoreboard.

**** off Led, a lot of us have paid good money to get over there and want the strongest team out.

5 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

They not only need a win, they'll want a comfortable goal padding. They have a 4 goal advantage in the GD category over Fiorentina. I imagine they'll be thinking of putting a minimum of three past us.

I'd much rather we took it as an overseas friendly and played for fun.

Does it not go by head to head GD between Basaksehir and Fiorentina, in which case that’s already settled in favour of the Turks so any kind of win against us does then fine. They darent draw or lose though 

43 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

**** off Led, a lot of us have paid good money to get over there and want the strongest team out.

I sympathize. At the end of the 20172018 season there was exactly one Hearts match I could make, and it was the finale at Killie. I paid for a hotel room in Kilmarnock and took a break from my research (which I was doing as fast as possible because of a limited budget) to come down from the highlands.

What I got to see was Kyle Lafferty and a bunch of kids running around. Football, eh.

I'd love for us to be in a position to give them a game. But we're not. In the meantime, I hear Istanbul is a nearly impossibly gorgeous city in places and I hope you have a delightful trip there. I've heard the Hagia Sofia and the Great Bazaar as recommendations.

47 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Does it not go by head to head GD between Basaksehir and Fiorentina, in which case that’s already settled in favour of the Turks so any kind of win against us does then fine. They darent draw or lose though 

Just looked it up and you're right. I hadn't realized that.

Okay, maybe we're not in for the doing I thought we were. Maybe they'll let up after the third or fourth . . .

Doctor FinnBarr
9 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I sympathize. At the end of the 20172018 season there was exactly one Hearts match I could make, and it was the finale at Killie. I paid for a hotel room in Kilmarnock and took a break from my research (which I was doing as fast as possible because of a limited budget) to come down from the highlands.

What I got to see was Kyle Lafferty and a bunch of kids running around. Football, eh.

I'd love for us to be in a position to give them a game. But we're not. In the meantime, I hear Istanbul is a nearly impossibly gorgeous city in places and I hope you have a delightful trip there. I've heard the Hagia Sofia and the Great Bazaar as recommendations.