Toby Sibbick ( merged )

Greedy Jambo

3 minutes ago, CMc said:

Early days of Berra and Zal were fairly frightening IIRC. They got better. 

I’ve no doubt they’ll get better, think Sibbick has already improved. Think you’re being a little harsh on Berra and Zal though. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• RustyRightPeg

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

13 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

His positioning isn't great. He got caught out a few times in the second half yesterday. 

As did a good few others

1 hour ago, OTT said:

I'm absolutely convinced he's not a CB, at least not yet. I really, badly want to see him played in Midfield. The laddie is great on the ball and the brief viewing we got of him under Stendel was excellent. IMO Robbie must partner him with Devlin once Rowles and Halkett is back and our defensive woes are resolved. One of the brilliant things I saw yesterday was an aggressive press from Devlin. We've got to remember that Sibbick played under Stendel, who played an aggressive pressing game. He's absolutely tailor made to partner Devlin in midfield. 

For me, neither Kio or Haring are up to it. I've not been impressed with either this season. Both have been slow and haven't pulled their weight in midfield. 

Good post OTT, Agree with defensive mid role, but not with Devlin for me, think he proved yesterday that he is at his best in a free role. He just wants to be where the action is, which is not great for a defensive role. If he could just add finishing, that may come tho. There are other options for a partner and would like Cochrane given a try there when players return and Kingsley gets back where he should be. Beni returning will also help.

58 minutes ago, CMc said:

The issue with Zal was that he was played out of position as a holding midfielder when he first came to the club. Once he was moved back to central defence it soon became clear that he was a very accomplished defender.

As for Berra, my recollection is that although he started playing regularly at a time we were struggling, I don't think many people were blaming Berra. In fact my recollection is that he was one of the few players in that team who actually looked decent.

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

I’ve no doubt they’ll get better, think Sibbick has already improved. Think you’re being a little harsh on Berra and Zal though. 

5 minutes ago, stirlo said:

The issue with Zal was that he was played out of position as a holding midfielder when he first came to the club. Once he was moved back to central defence it soon became clear that he was a very accomplished defender.

As for Berra, my recollection is that although he started playing regularly at a time we were struggling, I don't think many people were blaming Berra. In fact my recollection is that he was one of the few players in that team who actually looked decent.

Kickback in the day

3rd post - “no matter what defence you put out it’s going to be pish…”

Zal had quite a few shaky games at CB - struggled when the ball was played in behind him and could be provoked into a red card. 

Zal in his own words.

They improved loads, but they struggled to begin with. 

1 hour ago, CMc said:

Even during Berra's apprenticeship, it was noticeable that when Elvis was out, our defensive shape was too. We may well find that Toby comes into his own with a Halkett or Rowles directing things alongside him.

Edited by Smithee

1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

Some cracking posts on here.

Sibbick had a tremendous game yesterday, paired up very well with Kingsley and dominated his position. Some of his long field passes where excellent and covering for Craig Gordon's inability to kick ball in the second half was probably a pressure he didn't want but he coped superbly. 

No brain farts, but it still gets mentioned by the haters that want a young laddie to fail, morons.

Last bit is spot on and I do not understand why Hearts supporters would do or want that 

Enjoy him while you can. If/when everyone is fit, he doesn’t play, it’s as simple as that. Squad player and a limited one at that. I’d be amazed if he made many first XIs even on here. 
Overhit at least 3 x 5 yard simple passes in the first half yesterday that put us under pressure. Was much happier second half when he pretty much hoofed everything. 

1 hour ago, the posh bit said:

I like him and do feel that the criticism of him is all from a moment of madness in one match, which we won. 

His positioning isn't great. He got caught out a few times in the second half yesterday. 

I don’t think it’s by any means all from one match.

His positioning isn’t great, his touch is frequently poor and his awareness of opposition players closing him down is almost non-existent at times. While Gordon must shoulder the bulk of the blame for Celtic’s third goal yesterday, Sibbick had the opportunity to clear the ball before it came into our box but was simply too slow to react.

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Last bit is spot on and I do not understand why Hearts supporters would do or want that 

I genuinely don't think the vast majority of Hearts fans want to see any Hearts player fail. It's true that we are all probably guilty at times of making early judgments about players and then showing confirmation bias in how we see that player from then on. It is certainly interesting how some fans can watch the same game and come to seemingly diametrically opposed views on the performance of a particular player - but I suppose that applies to many things in life. 

pettigrewsstylist
3 minutes ago, leginten said:

I don’t think it’s by any means all from one match.

His positioning isn’t great, his touch is frequently poor and his awareness of opposition players closing him down is almost non-existent at times. While Gordon must shoulder the bulk of the blame for Celtic’s third goal yesterday, Sibbick had the opportunity to clear the ball before it came into our box but was simply too slow to react.

Aye but...if he sorts all that out, chips in with 6-8 goals a season, starts to win defensive headers, whats a player he"ll be tho eh? 😉

2 minutes ago, stirlo said:

I genuinely don't think the vast majority of Hearts fans want to see any Hearts player fail. It's true that we are all probably guilty at times of making early judgments about players and then showing confirmation bias in how we see that player from then on. It is certainly interesting how some fans can watch the same game and come to seemingly diametrically opposed views on the performance of a particular player - but I suppose that applies to many things in life. 

It is definitely not the majority no and most on here raising genuine concerns over things like his positioning will not want that either . Some seem to however and I find that really weird 

26 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Even during Berra's apprenticeship, it was noticeable that when Elvis was out, our defensive shape was too. We may well find that Toby comes into his own with a Halkett or Rowles directing things alongside him.

That’s my hope. It is traditionally how young CBs learn the trade. It has always gone better for us when we have had that experienced player available to mentor the younger ones. We had a good run of that with Elvis on to Webster on to Berra - then a few interruptions then Berra on to Souttar. 

Once Halks is 100%, he will have a positive influence on Neilson, Sibbick and Rowles. 

Sibbick was decent yesterday. There is definitely a player in there when he concentrates and puts the effort in. He's one I would persist with, and I think we'll see a steady improvement. 

He showed yesterday he has the potential to be a great player. His distribution was excellent. 
He is clearly though lacking experience and playing with someone like Halkett who can guide him through the game will make a difference.

51 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

No alternative. Leave as a back four for now. Improve on corners. 

I get that there are lots of things to train, and not a lot of time at present - but given our difficulties getting an attacking corner past the first man, and our recent vulnerability to corners, it would seem getting Snodgrass/McKay hitting 100s of practice balls in to Shanks, Jig and anyone else with two working legs would be dual purpose. 

11 minutes ago, CMc said:

I get that there are lots of things to train, and not a lot of time at present - but given our difficulties getting an attacking corner past the first man, and our recent vulnerability to corners, it would seem getting Snodgrass/McKay hitting 100s of practice balls in to Shanks, Jig and anyone else with two working legs would be dual purpose. 

Defending corners I meant. 

5 hours ago, the posh bit said:

I like him and do feel that the criticism of him is all from a moment of madness in one match, which we won. 

It isn't just the one game. 

He can look fantastic but always has the potential for a brain fart.

I watched a stream of the Aberdeen game and the commentators were saying how assured he looked and it was surprising Neilson hadn't been playing him. 

5 minutes later he played a suicide pass and they could see exactly why - "he's an accident waiting to happen ".

Having said that I think there's a player in there. He just tries to be too clever sometimes. 

25 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Defending corners I meant. 

That’s the other half of the dual-purpose. 

Once the practice crosses can beat the first man, we can practice heading them clear. 

Do we know if Sibbick is actually meant to be a central defender? Stendel played him as a holding mid, and he looks more comfortable at right back than in the middle.

Off topic, heard on radio today that Livingston had to defend 73 (did I actually hear that correctly, seems incredibly high) crosses at Ibrox yesterday, and did so successfully right until the death. Imagine if our defence faced 73 crosses in one match!

Edited by amadjambo

5 minutes ago, CMc said:

That’s the other half of the dual-purpose. 

Once the practice crosses can beat the first man, we can practice heading them clear. 

Worth emailing RN?

pettigrewsstylist
6 hours ago, the posh bit said:

Really!

6 hours ago, Martin_T said:

I do wonder what games people are watching when you see utter drivel like the above.

He's one of the fastest players at the club for starters. His distribution is probably his biggest strength and he has a great range of passing and his touch is also fine.

He's strong, quick, wins the ball cleanly and can carry the ball out of defence. 

Awareness/ concentration seems to be the main issue at the moment, but these can be addressed with confidence and coaching.

That's the beauty of football! Everyone has different views, I respect your view and we will see how it pans out for Sibbick. Just because some folk have different views doesn't mean it's utter drivel. I will be happy to come back to this end of the season and see what's drivel hopefully it's me and Sibbick turns to be a player.

pettigrewsstylist
28 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

Do we know if Sibbick is actually meant to be a central defender? Stendel played him as a holding mid, and he looks more comfortable at right back than in the middle.

Off topic, heard on radio today that Livingston had to defend 73 (did I actually hear that correctly, seems incredibly high) crosses at Ibrox yesterday, and did so successfully right until the death. Imagine if our defence faced 73 crosses in one match!

Ref would stop the contest .

On 23/10/2022 at 12:29, Philfigo said:

Sibbick seems to have no pace, very timid in the challenge, passes the ball anywhere as he panics, no awareness of opposition players and for him to get the ball under control with his first touch it takes him a life time. Hope he comes good but with all of the above can't see any chance of that. 

Ouch. 

The look on his face at full time, like a kid at Christmas. You can see he really enjoyed the game. 

Whatever was said to him and whatever extra coaching he's had in the last few weeks seems to have paid off.

What a performance from him. 10/10 MOM. 

Absolutely incredible game from Toby, outstanding. Fantastic on the ball as well, I thought his distribution and how calm he was taking the ball was .. I'm running out of adjectives here :D marvellous! 

He should be so proud of his performance tonight, didn't put a foot wrong for 90 minutes. Saved our bacon a couple of times and gave RFS absolutely nothing. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Class. I am so pleased for the lad. You can also tell he is a nice lad. He doesn’t deserve abuse - he’s a good guy.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

• davemclaren changed the title to Toby Sibbick ( merged )