Toby Sibbick ( merged )

Greedy Jambo

RustyRightPeg
7 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

How many games has he started back-to-back in the same position for us? 

Halkett looked like a bog standard defender who was prone to a brain fart when he signed for us. Even in the Championship season. But I think it shows, especially with defenders, how they can mature into a role.

Is Sibbick as good a defender as Halkett now? Of course not! How much is Halkett worth? £2M? £3M? We don't have that to spend on players, so of course, we need to buy potential and take risks. Its as daft as saying we haven't replaced Souttar - a player who left to 5x his salary!

Halkett was a much worse defender than pre-injury Berra, whom he was ultimately signed to replace. He has matured into a very good, international class defender. This only happened by playing regularly.

👍🏽👍🏽

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• RustyRightPeg

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

A_A wehatethehibs
4 hours ago, NB GIN said:

Watched him play there a few games was superb he was 

Brings speed athleticism into the middle od the park 

Think he will come good at defence but I would like to see him at DM

You won’t likely ever see him at DM. Unless there’s an injury crisis. So you can stop your tedious repetitive chat about him as a DM based on essentially zero evidence / very weak evidence. 

We have players ahead of him in the pecking order for DM. 

He will play DM if Beni, Devlin, Haring, Halliday, Smith, Grant (who can all cover DM) are all injured at the same time. But as of right now, Sibbick is a much needed defender where we are lacking cover and we do have an injury to a key player. Defence where he will be playing. So do us all a favour end your tedious boring posts about him at DM.  

16 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

You won’t likely ever see him at DM. Unless there’s an injury crisis. So you can stop your tedious repetitive chat about him as a DM based on essentially zero evidence / very weak evidence. 

We have players ahead of him in the pecking order for DM. 

He will play DM if Beni, Devlin, Haring, Halliday, Smith, Grant (who can all cover DM) are all injured at the same time. But as of right now, Sibbick is a much needed defender where we are lacking cover and we do have an injury to a key player. Defence where he will be playing. So do us all a favour end your tedious boring posts about him at DM.  

🤣🤣

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, spacerjoe said:

How many games has he started back-to-back in the same position for us? 

Halkett looked like a bog standard defender who was prone to a brain fart when he signed for us. Even in the Championship season. But I think it shows, especially with defenders, how they can mature into a role.

Is Sibbick as good a defender as Halkett now? Of course not! How much is Halkett worth? £2M? £3M? We don't have that to spend on players, so of course, we need to buy potential and take risks. Its as daft as saying we haven't replaced Souttar - a player who left to 5x his salary!

Halkett was a much worse defender than pre-injury Berra, whom he was ultimately signed to replace. He has matured into a very good, international class defender. This only happened by playing regularly.

Halkett wasn't as bad as Sibbick has been and he had a good solid few seasons of playing well for Livi behind him so the potential was proven to be there. 

Form can come and go. 

Anyway,  he may settle, he may become a really good player for us  but if it's potential as many seem to think then a loan would be better imo. 

We've also moved on a bit or trying to. 

A team aiming to cement 3rd,  close in on the of and compete in Europe needs players that are currently playing better than Sibbick in it. 

We need good players now who are performing at a certain level and Sibbick is currently a bit below that. 

Right now he sticks out like a sore thumb and is becoming a defensive liability. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

pettigrewsstylist

When crosses are pinged in from 20 yards away when it was the only thing likely to happen and you consistently run away from likely recipient to stand in no mans land.

Thats problematic.

Gimme an H...

He's not ready to start for us yet.

There's a lot of excuses being made for him but the fact is he isn't ready for our level.

His mistakes/blooper reel show that.

I'd keep him and try to develop him but we need better than he offers right now.

Naisys Tackle
1 hour ago, briever said:

Thought he played well on Sunday - needs a back 4 though.

Apart from losing his man for the goal and getting needlessly sent off? :lol: 

Naisys Tackle
54 minutes ago, Gimme an H... said:

There's a lot of excuses being made for him but the fact is he isn't ready for our level.

I'd keep him and try to develop him but we need better than he offers right now.

Exactly.  Some have went all in and backed him refusing now to see or admit how poor and how much of a downgrade he is for others when he comes into the team.

Its nothing personal either before anyone starts as he seems a nice guy based on that documentary but that and saying a few things about Hibs doesnt make him good enough for our team especially if we are continuously looking to improve.  Theres a reason Barnsley let him go for nothing also, they clearly discovered he wasn't good enough despite loans and changing of positions.   Under Stendel there was a little raw talent that was there to possibly build on but hes not improved one bit and that was 2 and a half years back. 

39 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Exactly.  Some have went all in and backed him refusing now to see or admit how poor and how much of a downgrade he is for others when he comes into the team.

Its nothing personal either before anyone starts as he seems a nice guy based on that documentary but that and saying a few things about Hibs doesnt make him good enough for our team especially if we are continuously looking to improve.  Theres a reason Barnsley let him go for nothing also, they clearly discovered he wasn't good enough despite loans and changing of positions.   Under Stendel there was a little raw talent that was there to possibly build on but hes not improved one bit and that was 2 and a half years back. 

I think we paid a 6 figure transfer fee.

I'm confident Toby will become a good player for Hearts, he was good on Sunday, apart from the sending off.

I look forward to him continuing to make an important contribution to the 1st team squad for the foreseeable future.

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, Martin_T said:

I think we paid a 6 figure transfer fee.

I'm confident Toby will become a good player for Hearts, he was good on Sunday, apart from the sending off.

I look forward to him continuing to make an important contribution to the 1st team squad for the foreseeable future.

What do you base the confidence on?  I really cant see it?

Just now, Robbies Tackle said:

What do you base the confidence on?  I really cant see it?

He's got a lot of positive attributes, quick strong, usually wins the ball cleanly and has decent long range passing ability.

Positional sense and concentration are the main issues at the moment and both can be improved via coaching.

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Gimme an H... said:

Last season we had a truly outstanding starting back three of Souttar, Halkett, and Kingsley. Each of them were among the best players we've had at the position in years.

Sibbick is a downgrade from them, yes, and he's not at their level yet. Neither were Souttar and Halkett when they first signed. Sibbick is and should be a backup and a development project, and for the most part he's fine there for now.

We need another CH in front of him but we've known that all summer.

Naisys Tackle
42 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

He's got a lot of positive attributes, quick strong, usually wins the ball cleanly and has decent long range passing ability.

Positional sense and concentration are the main issues at the moment and both can be improved via coaching.

Fair play mate.  Here's hoping. 

Watt-Zeefuik
45 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Somehow missed this post when I posted above. Exactly right. People talk about him being "shite" but he has exactly one mistake that he keeps making that contributes to most of his gaffes, which is not tracking his man and watching the ball instead.

That should be coachable.

1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

Somehow missed this post when I posted above. Exactly right. People talk about him being "shite" but he has exactly one mistake that he keeps making that contributes to most of his gaffes, which is not tracking his man and watching the ball instead.

It's also mostly happened playing at RCB and much less at CB, as demonstrated on Sunday.

I'm not sure he knows what territory he's covering, right of a 3.

But, as mentioned, can only improve through coaching and mostly experience.

I agree though that we need more cover in this area, but that doesn't mean we should cut loose a guy who's started about 8 games for us so far. He clearly has good technical ability.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

Last season we had a truly outstanding starting back three of Souttar, Halkett, and Kingsley. Each of them were among the best players we've had at the position in years.

Sibbick is a downgrade from them, yes, and he's not at their level yet. Neither were Souttar and Halkett when they first signed. Sibbick is and should be a backup and a development project, and for the most part he's fine there for now.

We need another CH in front of him but we've known that all summer.

Agreed. 

5 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Surely he should have learned this by now. It is basic. It's not like he just started playing football this season. Makes you wonder if Barnsley came to the conclusion he wasn't coachable. I will be delighted if he comes good but it doesn't seem likely at this point. What I really don't want is to watch us lose a succession of games while he is being coached in the basics of defending. For me Smith should have been the one replacing Halkett while he is out. And I said so at the time.

8 hours ago, Gimme an H... said:

Correct. 

Just not the level we hoped for or thought. 

And because of the level we are trying to get to he may not get the games to improve. Hoepfully not the same for Atkinson as well. 

Pasquale for King
On 23/08/2022 at 15:41, Robbies Tackle said:

Apart from losing his man for the goal and getting needlessly sent off? :lol: 

As Cochrane did, don’t see him being criticised much?

Naisys Tackle
10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Probably because theres not a thread on how hes not good enough because he evidently is.

Interestingly he is younger and played less games than TS too.  

Pasquale for King
28 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Probably because theres not a thread on how hes not good enough because he evidently is.

Interestingly he is younger and played less games than TS too.  

He’s played more games for us, and at Celtic Park also. He was awful again on Sunday, Sibbick played well, but seems immune from criticism for some reason. I’m all for giving anyone criticism but it should be fairly dealt out, Cochrane was way more at fault for their first goal than Sibbick was, both have a lot to learn. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Naisys Tackle
31 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He’s played more games for us, and at Celtic Park also. He was awful again on Sunday, Sibbick played well, but seems immune from criticism for some reason. I’m all for giving anyone criticism but it should be fairly dealt out, Cochrane was way more at fault for their first goal than Sibbick was, both have a lot to learn. 

Possibly for us but not in general and you can argue the championship that Sibbick has came from was a higher level. 

There can’t be any argument Cochrane is better than Sibbick both at fault for the goal and both sent off.  Cochrane gets off as he’s been brilliant for us and consistent. Sibbick hasn’t and the durys major out.  

I hope Sibbick improves to the level Cochrane looks as though he’s getting to. 

Pasquale for King
50 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Possibly for us but not in general and you can argue the championship that Sibbick has came from was a higher level. 

There can’t be any argument Cochrane is better than Sibbick both at fault for the goal and both sent off.  Cochrane gets off as he’s been brilliant for us and consistent. Sibbick hasn’t and the durys major out.  

I hope Sibbick improves to the level Cochrane looks as though he’s getting to. 

I don’t think he’s been brilliant at all, he was as bad as Atkinson in the final for instance but again didn’t get as much criticism. 
When he starts picking forwards out with lofted crosses his game will go to another level, tomorrow is a big game for him, Sibbick and everyone else. 

On 22/08/2022 at 17:03, NB GIN said:

Would be the best DM in the league if played in this position. No idea why he is playing at the back. 
Absolute quality in defensive midfield role 

This must be trolling

40 minutes ago, J80MBO said:

This must be trolling

I can truly see this in him he has the lot for this position. He will come good I have no doubt but for the DM  role you need to be athletic and pass the ball well. He is terrific at breaking up play.

Far too many people here shoot him down there is a reason we brought him back 

8 hours ago, NB GIN said:

I can truly see this in him he has the lot for this position. He will come good I have no doubt but for the DM  role you need to be athletic and pass the ball well. He is terrific at breaking up play.

Far too many people here shoot him down there is a reason we brought him back 

He’s only a year younger than Beni. 

Given they will receive the same coaching, in the same facilities, and play against the same opponents (except Toby will start less games), what makes you think Toby will close the massive gap between them in the next couple of years?

Even if, god forbid, Beni’s injury has permanent consequences for his game, his touch and passing will still be miles ahead. 

I think he’ll end up a decent defender. I can see the Zal parallels (although his positional lapses early on felt more to do with concentration than awareness). I can’t see him dislodging Beni, Cam, Pete and Jorge to get enough starts to improve to the degree you predict. 

Can we all please make a deal to be patient with Toby at the game?

He is definitely a player who is better when his confidence is high. Howls and growls from his own supporters if he takes an imperfect touch will not help. 

lots of time to debate who is right or wrong about him in here after. Nothing to prove at the game. 

we probably all hope he is not needed tonight. But let’s make sure he gets nothing but support if he is. 

1 minute ago, CMc said:

He is definitely a player who is better when his confidence is high. Howls and growls from his own supporters if he takes an imperfect touch will not help. 

lots of time to debate who is right or wrong about him in here after. Nothing to prove at the game. 

we probably all hope he is not needed tonight. But let’s make sure he gets nothing but support if he is. 

Not a chance that'll happen, the usual crowd have already made their mind up. You'll hear them in the pub before the game, the slavers will start the full pelt drool when the team is announced. 1st misplaced pass and you'll be sitting in seat thinking, ffs, here we go again. Then the individual insults and abuse will be heard intermittently around the stadium. 

They'll probably score and it WILL be Sibbicks fault, doesn't matter how it comes about of course. Sibbick could even rise like a Salmon and nod one in to the top corner, this of course will be put down to a fabulous cross.

The irony of the blame hound tag is that he'll inevitably spend some time on the bench due to injury or suspension and miraculously reincarnate into one of our best players. Until he plays again of course.

It's the life of the Hearts blamehound, the only way out is score v Hibs or maybe get a double like last year's recipient of the blamehound tag.

BackOfTheNet
29 minutes ago, CMc said:

Nothing in what you say sounds unreasonable. After all, asking supporters to support shouldn’t be asking a lot. But, unfortunately, there are issues with your proposal. Such as 👇

15 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Not a chance that'll happen, the usual crowd have already made their mind up. You'll hear them in the pub before the game, the slavers will start the full pelt drool when the team is announced. 1st misplaced pass and you'll be sitting in seat thinking, ffs, here we go again. Then the individual insults and abuse will be heard intermittently around the stadium. 

They'll probably score and it WILL be Sibbicks fault, doesn't matter how it comes about of course. Sibbick could even rise like a Salmon and nod one in to the top corner, this of course will be put down to a fabulous cross.

The irony of the blame hound tag is that he'll inevitably spend some time on the bench due to injury or suspension and miraculously reincarnate into one of our best players. Until he plays again of course.

It's the life of the Hearts blamehound, the only way out is score v Hibs or maybe get a double like last year's recipient of the blamehound tag.

Pretty much spot on. I’ll never forget “supporters” refusing to celebrate Isma scoring after slagging him off all game. Or refusing to applaud Sean Clare when he did something well, but were the first to shout abuse when he lost possession. Hell, all it takes is the mention of Ikpeazu to send some into a spiral who - rather than just not comment at all because he’s now at his 4th club since leaving us - feel the urge to make sure everyone knows how shite they think he is. Really wee man weird behaviour.

Sometimes supporters have it in for certain players, to the point they have to have a near perfect game to just have said “supporters” be quiet. Not to earn their “support”, just for them to be quiet. A player can get 9’s or 10’s in ratings from unblinkered observers, but some “supporters” will never give them above a 7. (Usually it’s after games like that they stay quiet)

8 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

He is the victim of us not replacing JS properly, despite 8 mths to do so!

How much do we reckon John Souttar would have sold for if he was under contract? £4m? How do a club with our resources just jump into the market and replace someone like that?

pettigrewsstylist
3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

How much do we reckon John Souttar would have sold for if he was under contract? £4m? How do a club with our resources just jump into the market and replace someone like that?

Good recruitment and coaching. Same as it ever was tbh. 

1 minute ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Good recruitment and coaching. Same as it ever was tbh. 

Correct, so you buy young and/or inexperienced players and try to coach them and improve them. Which is exactly what we have done because we can't afford to go out and spend piles of cash on transfer fees and wages to get an instant replacement. 

Surprised to see so many comments from posters backing Toby Sibbick

I agree he will come good and the comparisons to Zaliukas Karipidis and Pressley are good ones

13 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I don't get the argument that if another player gets sent off they deserve the same overall critique as sibbick 

Edited by J80MBO

RustyRightPeg
13 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I agree he will come good and the comparisons to Zaliukas Karipidis and Pressley are good ones

makes me happy. We should 100% be backing him 

Dick Dastardly
49 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I can't predict if he will hit those standards but he is nowhere near as bad, right now, as some people are suggesting.  

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Nothing in what you say sounds unreasonable. After all, asking supporters to support shouldn’t be asking a lot. But, unfortunately, there are issues with your proposal. Such as 👇

Pretty much spot on. I’ll never forget “supporters” refusing to celebrate Isma scoring after slagging him off all game. Or refusing to applaud Sean Clare when he did something well, but were the first to shout abuse when he lost possession. Hell, all it takes is the mention of Ikpeazu to send some into a spiral who - rather than just not comment at all because he’s now at his 4th club since leaving us - feel the urge to make sure everyone knows how shite they think he is. Really wee man weird behaviour.

Sometimes supporters have it in for certain players, to the point they have to have a near perfect game to just have said “supporters” be quiet. Not to earn their “support”, just for them to be quiet. A player can get 9’s or 10’s in ratings from unblinkered observers, but some “supporters” will never give them above a 7. (Usually it’s after games like that they stay quiet)

It’s like Isma, Clare, Gino, Sibbick and maybe Djoum, Mulraney all have something in common?
We do criticise players if they make mistakes but some get away with them more than others. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, J80MBO said:

I don't get the argument that if another player gets sent off they deserve the same overall critique as sibbick 

He said Sibbick was at fault for the goal and got sent off, has anyone started a thread about Cochrane for exactly the same?
As I’ve just alluded to some players get away with murder with little criticism, he’s one of them. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Correct, so you buy young and/or inexperienced players and try to coach them and improve them. Which is exactly what we have done because we can't afford to go out and spend piles of cash on transfer fees and wages to get an instant replacement. 

All correct. 

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

The only bid we ever got for him was £400k in January, as a crock that’s all he was worth. 
Neilson said he wasn’t Souttars replacement so the point is that we haven’t replaced him with anyone of any value, yet 🤞
https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/19882930.hearts-manager-robbie-neilson-insists-toby-sibbick-not-replacement-john-souttar/

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

All correct. 

The only bid we ever got for him was £400k in January, as a crock that’s all he was worth. 
Neilson said he wasn’t Souttars replacement so the point is that we haven’t replaced him with anyone of any value, yet 🤞
https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/19882930.hearts-manager-robbie-neilson-insists-toby-sibbick-not-replacement-john-souttar/

Aye the 4 million was a figure i plucked from the sky tbf. even at 400k we aren't going to go out and spend that.

On 23/08/2022 at 22:47, gnasher75 said:

Surely he should have learned this by now. It is basic. It's not like he just started playing football this season. Makes you wonder if Barnsley came to the conclusion he wasn't coachable. I will be delighted if he comes good but it doesn't seem likely at this point. What I really don't want is to watch us lose a succession of games while he is being coached in the basics of defending. For me Smith should have been the one replacing Halkett while he is out. And I said so at the time.

Or maybe he was coached to play a zonal defence at Barnsley and it’s taking a while for him to unlearn that and man mark instead?

Absolute Scenes

it's no mystery that i've voiced my opinion of him and i admit that i have probably been too quick to write him off. He is clearly talented otherwise wouldn't have been kept at Barnsley. Also worth noting that Zaliukas was 23 when he first arrived at hearts and stood out as "inept". The rest is obviously history. I think what Sibbick needs is to play games against easier teams as he's actually had a pretty rough run against decent opposition. Playing against the lower end teams and cup teams and keeping clean sheets etc are the little things that could help build his confidence. He is not afraid to run with the ball at his feet which is also positive

Pasquale for King
30 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Aye the 4 million was a figure i plucked from the sky tbf. even at 400k we aren't going to go out and spend that.

Yeah definitely, as someone else said we’ve had 8 months to get a replacement in which may well

cost us a lot more than £400k. 

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

He is the victim of us not replacing JS properly, despite 8 mths to do so!

Ffs,  "a victim". 🤣😭

Nonesense. 

It should be an opportunity to step up and improve. 

If he sees himself as a victim because he has to actually play and do his job then he shouldn't be at Hearts. 

He won't feel like that tho,  he'll want to play games. 

Bazzas right boot
45 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He said Sibbick was at fault for the goal and got sent off, has anyone started a thread about Cochrane for exactly the same?
As I’ve just alluded to some players get away with murder with little criticism, he’s one of them. 

Awful post. 

Nah,  Boyce,  walker,  Smith,  Halkett,  aki have all been targeted recently or in the recent past. 

You can observe black players and criticise without being racist. 

Cochrane has not been nearly as bad as Sibbick has been. 

That Is, why he's not being discussed in the same manner. 

50 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s like Isma, Clare, Gino, Sibbick and maybe Djoum, Mulraney all have something in common?
We do criticise players if they make mistakes but some get away with them more than others. 

If you want to accuse people of being racist be more direct and call them out ,  report it  or Tbh sit down and **** up and don't post shite that has no other purpose than to change the topic and stir up nonsense. 

Truelly awful post in a thread discussion about a Hearts player that has no racist undertones in at all,  until now. 

3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Awful post. 

Nah,  Boyce,  walker,  Smith,  Halkett,  aki have all been targeted recently or in the recent past. 

You can observe black players and criticise without being racist. 

Cochrane has not been nearly as bad as Sibbick has been. 

That Is, why he's not being discussed in the same manner. 

If you want to accuse people of being racist be more direct and call them out ,  report it  or Tbh sit down and **** up and don't post shite that has no other purpose than to change the topic and stir up nonsense. 

Truelly awful post in a thread discussion about a Hearts player that has no racist undertones in at all,  until now. 

While I do not necessarily agree with what Pasquale is suggesting , I took it as him employing the same tactic as those who are racist when they call black players lazy ............... like holding a mirror up to them by thinly veiling the true point so that every one knows what they are meaning but they just do not feel brave enough to come out and say it

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

While I do not necessarily agree with what Pasquale is suggesting , I took it as him employing the same tactic as those who are racist when they call black players lazy ............... like holding a mirror up to them by thinly veiling the true point so that every one knows what they are meaning but they just do not feel brave enough to come out and say it

Shite. 

He's pot stirring for no other reason than to pot stir. 

There is no hint of racism on this thread. 

It's a Sibbick thread. 

Sibbick hasn't even been called lazy to my knowledge on this thread. 

More about him losing the ball and not being aware and his positioning,  very few of any have said Sibbick is lazy. 

No need for it. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

• davemclaren changed the title to Toby Sibbick ( merged )