*** HMFC v RFS*** Match Thread

Scott Leitch

Just now, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Group stages are guaranteed for 2 more seasons; we'd still get decent points for ECL qualifiers if we didn't manage to get straight to group

If they avoid defeat in Italy, they will be resting as many players as they can; they've only got 3 points out 9 in their league and have seriously lost momentum; there is 5 subs available now, though, that is making a difference

I made nice money betting on them and fiorentina losing against Inter & Fenerbahce 😄

I didn’t think it was two more seasons.  Based on this seasons poor results I’m not sure Scotland gets anything like the same places in season 24/25. Happy to be proved wrong though. 

If that’s the case I doubt they will get anything on Thursday then as they probably think the 10 points they have is sufficient. Not sure they have gone off the boil other than one poor result against Sivasspor.  They are never favourites against Fenerbahce who are scoring for fun so far this season.  I think they will see €1m euros and top seeding as something they will want from last two games. To be honest their reserves will probably start favourites against us. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Naisys Tackle

4 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Interesting to see if the result of the other game on Thursday influences our starting eleven. If it’s a dead rubber, other than the cash, Robbie may keep players back for Sunday. 

I would hope not. Half a million is a lot of money to be blasé about. 

Huge game for us, need to kick on from Saturday and show we belong on the European stage. 

Chances are slim but if we can head to Turkey still in the mix when they've already wrapped first place up, that would be a great position to be in. Even just from a reputational point of view. 

17 minutes ago, DxB Hearts said:

Huge game for us, need to kick on from Saturday and show we belong on the European stage. 

Chances are slim but if we can head to Turkey still in the mix when they've already wrapped first place up, that would be a great position to be in. Even just from a reputational point of view. 

Will know before ko on Thursday. 

Captain Sausage

Wouldn’t risk any of the players with knocks in this one - we should win comfortably.  

Gordon

Cochrane

Kingsley

Sibbick

Smith

Devlin

Kio

McKay

Snodgrass

Ginnelly

Shankland

3 points and €500k in the bank come Friday morning with no injuries will do nicely. 

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Wouldn’t risk any of the players with knocks in this one - we should win comfortably.  

Gordon

Cochrane

Kingsley

Sibbick

Smith

Devlin

Kio

McKay

Snodgrass

Ginnelly

Shankland

3 points and €500k in the bank come Friday morning with no injuries will do nicely. 

Snodgrass can't play in Europe 

6 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Gordon

Cochrane

Kingsley

Sibbick

Smith

Devlin

Kio

McKay

Snodgrass

Ginnelly

Shankland

Can’t better that side just now. I’m a bit down on McKay just now but if they sit in he could come into his own. 

edit. Just saw Nucky’s post about Snodgrass. Grant instead I guess. 

Edited by GinRummy

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, DxB Hearts said:

I think the turks will want to wrap up the group on match 5; the last match kick off at 15:30

They can afford to lose the match in Italy, as long it's not 3 or more goals to nil; if they score the Italians need to score 5

On 23/10/2022 at 03:53, Scott980612 said:

This team may be organised and had 2 creditable draws vs Istanbul & Fiorentina but in reality there not great  

2-0 hearts ( yes a clean sheet 😂)

As for their draws with Istanbul and Fiorentina, folk need to remember that what they lack in footballing quality they make up for in being absolutely enormous. It makes them the ideal team to park the bus against better sides, as they may not be able to play the ball as well, but they have the height to match the others' big forwards.

Against us, we were able to open them up a bit more because they came out to play for a win. At Tynecastle there's a chance they sit in again and we have to break them down.

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Can’t better that side just now. I’m a bit down on McKay just now but if they sit in he could come into his own. 

edit. Just saw Nucky’s post about Snodgrass. Grant instead I guess. 

Humphrys for me if he's fit. And Kio playing as far forward as possible.

Ricardo Quaresma
2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

I didn’t think it was two more seasons.  Based on this seasons poor results I’m not sure Scotland gets anything like the same places in season 24/25. Happy to be proved wrong though. 

If that’s the case I doubt they will get anything on Thursday then as they probably think the 10 points they have is sufficient. Not sure they have gone off the boil other than one poor result against Sivasspor.  They are never favourites against Fenerbahce who are scoring for fun so far this season.  I think they will see €1m euros and top seeding as something they will want from last two games. To be honest their reserves will probably start favourites against us. 

I think the turks will want to wrap up the group on match 5; the last matches kick off at 15:30

They can afford to lose the match in Italy, as long it's not 3 or more goals to nil; if they score the Italians need to score 5, this is if they assume they'll beat us in the last match; we really want them to win the group with a draw

N.B. posted this above in response to the wrong post 😄

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma
Clarity

Will know before ko on Thursday. 

Aye about 30 minutes before KO. Not enough time to influence a team selection. 

Ricardo Quaresma
1 minute ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Aye about 30 minutes before KO. Not enough time to influence a team selection. 

Unless the turks are scudding fiorentina 😄

2 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Unless the turks are scudding fiorentina 😄

Or Fiorentina scudding the Turks which would mean both of them on 10 points. Our max is 9 

9 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

I think the turks will want to wrap up the group on match 5; the last matches kick off at 15:30

They can afford to lose the match in Italy, as long it's not 3 or more goals to nil; if they score the Italians need to score 5, this is if they assume they'll beat us in the last match; we really want them to win the group with a draw

N.B. posted this above in response to the wrong post 😄

-

👍

Malinga the Swinga
56 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Gordon

Cochrane

Kingsley

Sibbick

Smith

Devlin

Kio

McKay

Snodgrass

Ginnelly

Shankland

I like your optimism but why should we win comfortably?

They drew in Florence and at home to Turks. They will be stuffy and difficult opponents and we will need to be on top of our game.

Ricardo Quaresma
5 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Or Fiorentina scudding the Turks which would mean both of them on 10 points. Our max is 9 

That could influence team selection, but I think we should not put out a weakened side

3 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I like your optimism but why should we win comfortably?

They drew in Florence and at home to Turks. They will be stuffy and difficult opponents and we will need to be on top of our game.

That was before he realised Snodgrass was ineligible 

1 minute ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

That could influence team selection, but I think we should not put out a weakened side

Might get a surprise with some injuries clearing up in time. Sunday is just as big a game for us, and the manager, as Thursday is.  Next seasons group stage is worth a lot more than Thursdays prizemoney. 

Ricardo Quaresma
4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Might get a surprise with some injuries clearing up in time. Sunday is just as big a game for us, and the manager, as Thursday is.  Next seasons group stage is worth a lot more than Thursdays prizemoney. 

It is worth more, but I reckon our budget for the January window will be large, if necessary

It’s all about the money for us now, but I’m worried they’ve got huge lads at the back, one looks like lurch and the other plug from the bash street kids. We are shocking at defending corners/crosses and Craig Gordon just doesn’t come for anything at all these days. Could make a few quid on either centre half to score unfortunately 😩

Play strongest team possible! 3pts, £400,000ish and coefficient points to win. 3pts keeps it alive into last game for us depending on results. In the league it looks like another season when everyone beats each other, so we won't be far off 3rd at world cup break. Then hopefully we can get players back and get on a winning streak and get ahead clear in 3rd. 

alicante jambo
25 minutes ago, Philfigo said:

Play strongest team possible! 3pts, £400,000ish and coefficient points to win. 3pts keeps it alive into last game for us depending on results. In the league it looks like another season when everyone beats each other, so we won't be far off 3rd at world cup break. Then hopefully we can get players back and get on a winning streak and get ahead clear in 3rd. 

Cracking post well said. Plenty still to play for and starting with thursday i want the 3 points and the dosh. Could be a confidence booster going into the next few games which are winnable.

10 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

While it is highly unlikely we will progress any further in this season's competition I think it is still important that we approach Thursday with the intention of winning that game. Winning home and away versus thr Latvians will net us around £1 million, money that we need to use well to put us in a position to try again in Europe next season.

If Istanbul win on Thursday they’ve won the group and they might well be minded to take the foot off the gas for the last game. Then of course we’d need Fiorentina NOT to win their last game away to RFS. Still a chance here I think

Fiorentina vs Istanbul is an earlier kick off so we’ll know before we play if we’re out or still in with a chance

Edited by JimmyCant

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

Would play the kids if it weren’t for the prize money. 

Substantially more than winning either cup domestically on this one match, and then there is coefficient points.

In fact i think it would be right to say beating RFS twice would  couple of hundred thousand more than winning BOTH domestic cups.

Strongest 11 not even up for debate surely.

Gordon

Smith Sibbick Kingsley Cochrane    

Ginnelly   Devlin   Kio     Halliday   

Humphrys 

Shankland 

3-2 Hearts

Biggest question: will we use the disco lights? 

The Fiorentina game was a huge disappointment at Tynie. If we used the disco tech we would have won. Fact. 

Different Class
22 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Gordon

Ginnelly   Devlin   Kio     Halliday   

Humphrys 

Shankland 

3-2 Hearts

I like this. Halliday's work rate could make up for the loss of Snodgrass. Plenty running in Ginnelly and Humphrys that ran this lot ragged in the last game.

Hearts win, btts. 

19 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Interesting to see if the result of the other game on Thursday influences our starting eleven. If it’s a dead rubber, other than the cash, Robbie may keep players back for Sunday. 

You don't honestly think we will change the starting 11 with around 30 mins until kick off? For a start we wouldn't be allowed. Even if we were it's ridiculous. 

It's anything but a dead rubber with 500m at stake.  That sort of money can give us an edge for second half of season as we want to get back here again.  

2 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

It's anything but a dead rubber with 500m at stake.  That sort of money can give us an edge for second half of season as we want to get back here again.  

Neilson would surely get us 3rd with 500m!

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

****ing hell, there's a way more riding on Thursday than I thought. 

Could have us going for 10iar.

I've always said the prize money for euro games is ridiculous. 

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, Different Class said:

I like this. Halliday's work rate could make up for the loss of Snodgrass. Plenty running in Ginnelly and Humphrys that ran this lot ragged in the last game.

Hearts win, btts. 

Mckay also ripped them to bits last time.

Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

****ing hell, there's a way more riding on Thursday than I thought. 

Could have us going for 10iar.

I've always said the prize money for euro games is ridiculous. 

LOL can always rely on KB highlighting a mistake!  

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

LOL can always rely on KB highlighting a mistake!  

🤣

It's the biggest game in the club's history,  do we get a big cheque if we win?

It should be brought back for nights like this.

13942724861393506817KTM482_big_lottery.jpg

Edited by Bazzas right boot

I've been of the opinion I wouldn't mind seeing McKay rested for the last few games but this is one I'd definitely play him. RFS will be very compact and we'll have lots of possession. Having someone with the ability to pick a pass will be important when trying to open them up.

4 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

I've been of the opinion I wouldn't mind seeing McKay rested for the last few games but this is one I'd definitely play him. RFS will be very compact and we'll have lots of possession. Having someone with the ability to pick a pass will be important when trying to open them up.

I agree. I think this game will suit Barry. 

5 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Agreed, but I don't think he should be rewarded with this game given his recent performances. Others deserve it more and we should have enough to beat RFS without McKay, he can always come on if needed. Long term it's better to show that those who work hard are rewarded imo.

I watched the away match last night to remind me the formation used,  players used.  I would  like to see the same again (433 it looked like) or a 442 with Shankland & Humphrys.   

The players should be confident against this lot.   They still have some danger players on the counter and set pieces but we should be four up by then.  

Gordon 

Gino Devlin Kio McKay 

Humphrys Shankland 

Or 

Gordon 

Grant Devlin Haliday 

Humphrys Shankland McKay 

There's good options off the bench as well.   Plenty players that could start and do the damage in a positive way. 

5-2 crazy match 😁 looking forward to attending this game.   

We_are_the_Hearts
42 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

I watched the away match last night to remind me the formation used,  players used.  I would  like to see the same again (433 it looked like) or a 442 with Shankland & Humphrys.   

The players should be confident against this lot.   They still have some danger players on the counter and set pieces but we should be four up by then.  

Gordon 

Gino Devlin Kio McKay 

Humphrys Shankland 

Or 

Gordon 

Grant Devlin Haliday 

Humphrys Shankland McKay 

There's good options off the bench as well.   Plenty players that could start and do the damage in a positive way. 

5-2 crazy match 😁 looking forward to attending this game.   

Sounds like 4-1-4-1 will be the way forward with us. 

Edited by We_are_the_Hearts

6 hours ago, Scott Leitch said:

You don't honestly think we will change the starting 11 with around 30 mins until kick off? For a start we wouldn't be allowed. Even if we were it's ridiculous. 

I didn’t say I thought it would happen just wondered if anyone thought it might.  Half-time in Florence is 6.30 our time so plenty of time to make any changes he wants. Or just to confirm which starting 11 he is going to go with eg if it looks like we are out give Clark his debut saving Gordon for Sunday.  

19 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

It is worth more, but I reckon our budget for the January window will be large, if necessary

It will be but transfers in  January are always a risk. Simms was great last January, Gnando not so good the January before. 

8 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

It will be but transfers in  January are always a risk. Simms was great last January, Gnando not so good the January before. 

It's always a tricky window. So much less choice. Wouldn't surprise me if we signed maybe one player and a loan or two.

I didn’t say I thought it would happen just wondered if anyone thought it might.  Half-time in Florence is 6.30 our time so plenty of time to make any changes he wants. Or just to confirm which starting 11 he is going to go with eg if it looks like we are out give Clark his debut saving Gordon for Sunday.  

So we have prepared all week with the starters and then 90 mins before kick off you want him to change everything? Come on, you know that wouldn't happen.