Lucy Letby Trial

AndyNic

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Just reading that the jury have been deliberating for 76 hours and have now been told they can reach majority verdict. Makes you wonder if she’ll be acquitted or sent for a retrial.

Like someone said in another post, this is a truly weird case in terms of the coverage of it. If she was to be found guilty she’d be classed as one of the worst killers in UK history yet the details of the trial itself have barely been headline news.

Maybe there’s just a lot of other things going on, I don’t know, but normally the media would be all over a story like this.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• MoncurMacdonaldMercer

• JFK-1

• JudyJudyJudy

periodictabledancer
13 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Just reading that the jury have been deliberating for 76 hours and have now been told they can reach majority verdict. Makes you wonder if she’ll be acquitted or sent for a retrial.

Like someone said in another post, this is a truly weird case in terms of the coverage of it. If she was to be found guilty she’d be classed as one of the worst killers in UK history yet the details of the trial itself have barely been headline news.

Maybe there’s just a lot of other things going on, I don’t know, but normally the media would be all over a story like this.

In the early days it was on the BBC main news bulletins every night but given the length of the trial it's faded a bit from view. I know it because I was following it at the time due to the fact I'm having treatment at that hospital. 

Dick Dastardly
14 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

There is a fair bit in the independent but i agree, it has seemed to be kept very low key

https://www.independent.co.uk/topic/lucy-letby

periodictabledancer
15 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

But it can only be 10-1 (one juror has been released). 

Must admit I felt she was guilty based on the reading of the evidence however surprised to read that some feel the evidence is flimsy.

What in particular do you think is flimsy? She displayed very odd and unusual behaviours and I can only think she will be found guilty by the majority.

1 hour ago, AndyNic said:

Must admit I felt she was guilty based on the reading of the evidence however surprised to read that some feel the evidence is flimsy.

What in particular do you think is flimsy? She displayed very odd and unusual behaviours and I can only think she will be found guilty by the majority.

I haven't followed intently but I don't think they have actually been able to prove that the babies died from injections of air into veins etc have they? Just that their deaths were suspicious. 

35 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I haven't followed intently but I don't think they have actually been able to prove that the babies died from injections of air into veins etc have they? Just that their deaths were suspicious. 

In cases where a baby dies in family home, people have been convicted on the basis that it could only have happened due to violence even if there is no direct evidence. 

periodictabledancer
1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

In some cases , death by injection of insulin. 

That thing you do
2 hours ago, AndyNic said:

You didnt read the evidence, you read a narrative in a online publication. This is the problem nowadays. People think they have evidence but they have the media line. Luke Mitchell is a massive case of this. Theres alot less evidence when examining it than the media had you believe.

15 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

You didnt read the evidence, you read a narrative in a online publication. This is the problem nowadays. People think they have evidence but they have the media line. Luke Mitchell is a massive case of this. Theres alot less evidence when examining it than the media had you believe.

:cornette::wow:

54 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Or when you sit through a trial like Luke Mitchell then the overall case becomes obvious. 

It's correct that media reports can give a disjointed impression. 

Toxteth O'Grady

Not sure what is happening today. There are usually some reports saying that the jury has resumed deliberations but there has been nothing today so far.  

There will be multiple charges to consider. 

They may be in full agreement that she is guilty of X regarding Baby A, B and C but struggling with the charges when applied to Baby D, E and F for example. 

Being out of the country I don't get reports on this, but feel like it's been going on a long time, a very long time. What gives, they nailed Beverley Allitt a lot quicker i'm sure. Hell even Harold Shipman and he dispatched hundreds.

periodictabledancer
1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

Being out of the country I don't get reports on this, but feel like it's been going on a long time, a very long time. What gives, they nailed Beverley Allitt a lot quicker i'm sure. Hell even Harold Shipman and he dispatched hundreds.

22 charges of murder and attempted murder , the trial was always intended to be at least 6 months long. 

2 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

22 charges of murder and attempted murder , the trial was always intended to be at least 6 months long. 

While I know little detail I read the description of each of the 22 counts and it sounds uncannily like Allitt. It was concluded Allitt had some sort of syndrome which amounted to extreme attention begging.

It's the same thing in an unusually high number of infant mortalities which ultimately brings in the cops and they break it down to a common link, just like they did with Allitt. They were indisputably right about Allitt and I expect this woman too.

This isn't like the cops looking for some suspect to blame an atrocity on like the Guildford four or something, they know it's her. All charges stem from incidents between 2015 to 2016, while she wasn't first arrested until 2018.

Currently this trial has been running 10 months, the Shipman trial took 4 months. And in passing Beverley Allit has served the minimum term they set for her which was 30 years, that expired 2 years ago so she is eligible for parole. 

8 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

While I know little detail I read the description of each of the 22 counts and it sounds uncannily like Allitt. It was concluded Allitt had some sort of syndrome which amounted to extreme attention begging.

It's the same thing in an unusually high number of infant mortalities which ultimately brings in the cops and they break it down to a common link, just like they did with Allitt. They were indisputably right about Allitt and I expect this woman too.

This isn't like the cops looking for some suspect to blame an atrocity on like the Guildford four or something, they know it's her. All charges stem from incidents between 2015 to 2016, while she wasn't first arrested until 2018.

Currently this trial has been running 10 months, the Shipman trial took 4 months. And in passing Beverley Allit has served the minimum term they set for her which was 30 years, that expired 2 years ago so she is eligible for parole. 

Quite shocking that someone as bonnie looking as Beverley Allitt could be so evil. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Seven murders, six attempted murders.

Going to be a whole life sentence realistically. As I said at the start of this thread, so weird that it had such limited coverage to this point.

Just now, Gordon Ramsay said:

Absolutely sick individual. 

Started quickly after joining the intensive care unit. Must have had some illness of mind. 

SwindonJambo

Unless she's in solitary confinement, she'll get the living shit beaten out of her in prison.

Unfortunately a small percentage of humans are innately evil and it's especially blood curdling when they get into a position of trust as she did.

Unknown user
15 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Unless she's in solitary confinement, she'll get the living shit beaten out of her in prison.

Unfortunately a small percentage of humans are innately evil and it's especially blood curdling when they get into a position of trust as she did.

Christ aye, all those mums locked away from their own kids.

Mentally ill or not, her choice of victim was utterly defenceless and without any way of saying what had happened if they had survived.  It takes a special kind of arsehole to do that.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
15 minutes ago, tian447 said:

b4208aaf-bce7-4968-b24d-d4f238ba90de.png

Get ****ed Lucy.  Hope hell is warm.

That is extraordinary. The penny must have dropped very quickly once they started investigating 

3 minutes ago, andrewjambo said:

The management of that NHS trust, in ignoring the concerns of the paediatricians and not reporting the issues to the police, have blood on their hands.

Its a familiar pattern in the NHS. Protective against any challenge. 

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Its a familiar pattern in the NHS. Protective against any challenge. 

NHS Trusts up and down the country are always more concerned with saving face than saving lives.

The Trust comes first, always.

Scandal after scandal, and it turns out that the local Trust knew or suspected that something was not right but did nothing about it.

Edited by Cade

Give her 24 hours in the jail and set her free.  Why should she be protected by the walls of her cell and the lock on her cell door, let her out and let real justice play out.

Having had a quick read through the below article:

Hospital bosses ignored months of doctors' warnings about Lucy Letby - BBC News

It angers me the senior management acted the way they did. Is there any process for filing criminal charges for patient neglect on senior managment?

Dr Brearey on the other hand deserves commended for being so stoic in his situation.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

“Lessons will be learned”

hate that phrase. Usually code for “inept management won’t be punished or have consequences”

Already sounds like the trust tried hard to bury this. 

1 hour ago, andrewjambo said:

The management of that NHS trust, in ignoring the concerns of the paediatricians and not reporting the issues to the police, have blood on their hands.

Absolutely. The summary on the bbc website is jaw dropping. They should be up on culpable homicide charges in my opinion.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

People will retire quietly and/or refuse to attend an inquiry which doesn’t have the authority to force them to attend.

Much like local councils, the number of spineless, incompetent people who get to the top of public bodies is staggering. It’s almost like the go to industry if you’ve got no talent or morals.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, AndyNic said:

Wow 😳

You watch how many people face disciplinary or legal action over this.

Answer: zero, inevitably 

periodictabledancer

NHS doesn't encourage or protect whistleblowers and anyone who does so can expect to have their life/career ruined and be hounded out. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, periodictabledancer said:

NHS doesn't encourage or protect whistleblowers and anyone who does so can expect to have their life/career ruined and be hounded out. 

Top tier management who are only interested in protecting themselves and, when trouble comes, saving their own skins.

The number of examples is so high that this should be the last straw. They should bring in legislation making NHS management personally liable for avoidable failings.

periodictabledancer
2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Top tier management who are only interested in protecting themselves and, when trouble comes, saving their own skins.

The number of examples is so high that this should be the last straw. They should bring in legislation making NHS management personally liable for avoidable failings.

I've spent many days in NHS Lothian 's palatial HO arguing with the then Chief Exec.  I've seen it first hand . Told him to his face he and his staff were clearly incompetent and their entire org wasn't fit for purpose. The NHS isn't a learning organisation. It does what it wants whenever it wants at a pace it wants and no govt will ever change that. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

I've spent many days in NHS Lothian 's palatial HO arguing with the then Chief Exec.  I've seen it first hand . Told him to his face he and his staff were clearly incompetent and their entire org wasn't fit for purpose. The NHS isn't a learning organisation. It does what it wants whenever it wants at a pace it wants and no govt will ever change that. 

Dare I say it as well, medical people are the worst at being told that someone else knows better