***Official Fiorentina v Heart of Midlothian Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

Devlin must start in a midfield with at least 2 others. Despite the stick Sibbick takes , I would play him at centre back lets face it  the away support will be pished and right behind the team. Humphrys up top to start. Make them work for a (likely)  win this time around,  we have plenty of options on the bench should we get close enough to receive any yellow cards.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Watt-Zeefuik

• neilnunb

• sadj

Big away support, it's a free hit, go after them. 

Shankland  

Humphrys                    Forrest

Grant     Devlin 

Kio

Halliday                        Atkinson 

Cochrane Kingsley 

Gordon

I'm going to enjoy the experience whatever happens. I can't see any way that we'll even get a draw but I really hope that we don't get a real doing. It will be nice to be able to celebrate a goal.

I hope it's a boring match.    No risks taken.   Keep the shape.    If an opportunity comes take it.    We don't have to win.    No pressure on Hearts to win at all.    They'll want to win for automatic qualification.   

I think we'll lose 1-0 if we get the right combination of players.   Could be worse if we don't.    I'm not expecting us to win or draw at all. 

Very hard job to get everyone ready with key players missing.   Halkett available would be excellent but I feel he won't be back until after this one. 

I'll enjoy the game even if we manage one shot on target but make it a good one.   Not a rolling back-pass to the keeper.    Hit it hard! 

Good luck to the squad.  

40 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

I hope it's a boring match.    No risks taken.   Keep the shape.    If an opportunity comes take it.    We don't have to win.    No pressure on Hearts to win at all.    They'll want to win for automatic qualification.   

I think we'll lose 1-0 if we get the right combination of players.   Could be worse if we don't.    I'm not expecting us to win or draw at all. 

Very hard job to get everyone ready with key players missing.   Halkett available would be excellent but I feel he won't be back until after this one. 

I'll enjoy the game even if we manage one shot on target but make it a good one.   Not a rolling back-pass to the keeper.    Hit it hard! 

Good luck to the squad.  

get off kickback and focus on the game Neilson! 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Big away support, it's a free hit, go after them. 

Shankland  

Humphrys                    Forrest

Grant     Devlin 

Kio

Halliday                        Atkinson 

Cochrane Kingsley 

Gordon

That is probably the best team we can put out currently.

4 hours ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

3-6-1

Gordon

Smith Sibbick Kingsley

Haring

Atkinson Kio  Devlin Cochrane

Grant

Humprhys

Flood the midfield with a diamond. Play with Wing backs for cover and it's gonna be a hard shift up top for Humphrys but he has some more pace power and ability in the air than what Shankland has.

At least there will be a bit of grit in the middle and as strong a defensive line as we can probably put out. A right footer at RCB, a left footer at LCB and the only fit CB we have at CB.

Be lucky to come away with a point but if Riga can do so there's no reason why we can't attempt it.

I had something similar in mind with a 4-5-1 but many of the same players in similar positions.

Smith      Kingsley

Akka                                     Cochrane

Sibbick

Haring                          Devlin

Grant         Kio

Humphries

I originally had Shankland high and Humphries in place of Kio, but I think you're right, Humphries is better starting as an isolated striker.

2 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I had something similar in mind with a 4-5-1 but many of the same players in similar positions.

Smith      Kingsley

Sibbick

Grant         Kio

Humphries

I originally had Shankland high and Humphries in place of Kio, but I think you're right, Humphries is better starting as an isolated striker.

That line up makes sense. Not convinced he’d play Sibbick there but I do think it make us solid and allows grant and the full backs to push up when attacking. 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

That line up makes sense. Not convinced he’d play Sibbick there but I do think it make us solid and allows grant and the full backs to push up when attacking. 

To me Sibbick in the middle of a 4-5-1 or a 3-6-1 is a bit of a potayto/potahto thing. You want his height back there to deal with headers but don't want him on an island defensively.

Just now, Led Tasso said:

To me Sibbick in the middle of a 4-5-1 or a 3-6-1 is a bit of a potayto/potahto thing. You want his height back there to deal with headers but don't want him on an island defensively.

He’s got the legs to cover his area is the thing for me. Haring a couple of seasons ago would be ideal but not now imo. 

Watching their game against Lazio just now, bloody hell they look good.

Edit:. Just lost a goal. 😄

Edited by graygo

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Watching their game against Lazio just now, bloody hell they look good.

Edit:. Just lost a goal. 😄

:rofl: came to post the same. Hopefully they lose 5-0 to dent their confidence :sob:

2 minutes ago, King prawn said:

:rofl: came to post the same. Hopefully they lose 5-0 to dent their confidence :sob:

Aye, hopefully Lazio put them back in their box. Tails were obviously up after beating the mighty Hearts. 😄

In-swinging cross by Lazio outside the penalty box, flicked header inside six yard box, goal. 0-2. 

Fiorentina like to cross or launch the ball into the box.   Nothing changed last few games.   They will do the same again to Hearts. 

Two headers in their box, two goals, dose of their own medicine.   Lovely. 

Edited by HMFC01

25 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Hope we trash their changing room like the state they left ours in

Think we might do that to the city  lol

2 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

In-swinging cross by Lazio outside the penalty box, flicked header inside six yard box, goal. 0-2. 

Fiorentina like to cross or launch the ball into the box.   Nothing changed last few games.   They will do the same again to Hearts. 

Two headers in their box, two goals, dose of their own medicine.   Lovely. 

Shame we don’t have any fit players with a bit height about them.

It’s all a bit cliche for a weaker side against quality, but we really need to try make the most of any set piece in their half by getting it in the box rather than going short the majority of the time

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

5 minutes ago, King prawn said:

22 shots 0 goals

Lazio 9 shots 4 goals :lol: 

Not sure if I’m more worried than I was for Thursday or not 

They had 25 shots at Tynecastle , they're quite poor finishers considering the money they've spent in transfers and wages. 

lost in space

Fiorentina don't look great when they are being attacked. Neilson will know this and set out a team to park the bus at home to them!!

Of course, Neilson will learn from his mistake and attack them in Florence. Aye right.

We are NOWHERE near the class of Lazio and Fiorentina have much better players than us. But surely we have to TRY to attack them and hope they miss chances as they did tonight.

2 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Smith      Kingsley

Sibbick

Grant         Kio

Humphries

Similar to what I was thinking earlier.  It needs to be midfield heavy in this game.  

It’ll never happen(because the more it’s suggested it never does 🙂) but I’d play Haring with Kingsley at CH.  We need Cochrane’s pace out wide for recovery and to get up the park when he can. Atkinson on the other side.

Kio, Grant, Devlin in the middle.    Grant to be the link man a bit further up but he’s capable of dropping back to defend.   

Would like to see Ginnelly support Humphrys.  Shankland struggled with the strength of their defence but I don’t think Humphrys will.  

I would be going with something like

Gordon

Smith - Sibbick - Kingsley

Atkinson - Cochrane

Devlin - Kio

Grant (or Forrest)

Humphrys - Ginnelly

42 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Fiorentina don't look great when they are being attacked. Neilson will know this and set out a team to park the bus at home to them!!

Of course, Neilson will learn from his mistake and attack them in Florence. Aye right.

We are NOWHERE near the class of Lazio and Fiorentina have much better players than us. But surely we have to TRY to attack them and hope they miss chances as they did tonight.

anytime we actually pressed them last week (about 3 times) they looked shaky.  Lacking confidence, was absolutely criminal how we set up against them.

1 hour ago, King prawn said:

22 shots 0 goals

Lazio 9 shots 4 goals :lol: 

Not sure if I’m more worried than I was for Thursday or not 

Just thank your lucky stars we are not playing Lazio…

Think we will get pumped badly,

Gordon

Smith Haring Kingsley

Atkinson Grant Devlin Cochrane

Humphrey’s Shankland Gino

Get some pace up front in Gino and Humphrey’s and hit diagonals to them to try to get in behind their defence. If we could get a decent shot on goal I reckon we could score as golini didn't look that great tbh.

I know that won't happen though,  we will be too busy worrying about them.

5 nil defeat.

Gordon

Sibbick Haring Kingsley 

Atkinson                              Cochrane

Kio Devlin Haliday 

Humphrys Forrest 

Best I've got.   Main idea is win the headers on the backline, midfield pick up the scraps.   Get the ball out wide, hold it up, get free kicks.   Maybe get a break through the middle.   🤞

5 hours ago, lost in space said:

We will sit back, contain and get pumped.

And then Post match say that we didnt go out to attack them, as we would have been left exposed and/or that we need our 2 primary CB's in defence before we can start to look at attacking teams. 

Saying that is so negative, and defeatist, yet I just do not believe that we will do anything differently, and to what I have said above.

If Robbie proves me wrong I will gladly stop whining and STFU. 

Being the eternal optimist, I just hope we can keep it tight for the first twenty minutes and see what happens from

there. Hopefully they are mentally and physically tired after their defeat last night! 

I remember going to Burnley in the 70s after losing the first leg 3 nil.  By the time we got to Carlisle we had convinced ourselves if we got an early goal we could turn it round.  We lost 5 nil !!

Fiorentina are a good side no more than that there goalkeeper is a bomb scare there defence is not great if we give them to much respect then we will get pumped get in there face we have half a chance.

1 hour ago, Sherbet said:

I remember going to Burnley in the 70s after losing the first leg 3 nil.  By the time we got to Carlisle we had convinced ourselves if we got an early goal we could turn it round.  We lost 5 nil !!

:rofl:

3 hours ago, smartin1987 said:

Fiorentina are a good side no more than that there goalkeeper is a bomb scare there defence is not great if we give them to much respect then we will get pumped get in there face we have half a chance.

What we should have done last week

21 hours ago, EIEIO said:

Devlin must start in a midfield with at least 2 others. Despite the stick Sibbick takes , I would play him at centre back lets face it  the away support will be pished and right behind the team. Humphrys up top to start. Make them work for a (likely)  win this time around,  we have plenty of options on the bench should we get close enough to receive any yellow cards.

Make them work for their win.

If we get close enough to them to earn a yellow card.

That's how bad we are right now.

Trouble is it is so very apt after surrendering to them at Tynecastle.

God knows what we at home and the travelling fans will get on Thursday, they deserve so much better.

16 minutes ago, Australis said:

Make them work for their win.

If we get close enough to them to earn a yellow card.

That's how bad we are right now.

Trouble is it is so very apt after surrendering to them at Tynecastle.

God knows what we at home and the travelling fans will get on Thursday, they deserve so much better.

Any improvement from last week would be welcome and is not too much to hope for.

Holyrood_Hearts

Gordon

Atkinson Sibbick Kingsley Cochrane

Devlin Kio Haring 

Gino McKay

Humphrys. 

4-3-3 in attack, 4-5-1 in defence. Humphrys, Gino & McKay are all pacy & will carry the ball up the park. We need outballs when under pressure defensively & to give them something to think about. Humphrys is more a physical presence about him.