Robbie!!! ( merged )

Graham Thomson

16 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

This quote from the Scotsman sums up my problem with Robbie:

Neilson has fielded 10 different players within a back three or four system with 20 different combinations across the 24 fixtures.

Are there any circumstances that have contributed to this? Been pretty well documented, no?

Alternatively, I've thought Neilson has been stubborn to persist with systems that weren't working (for instance having a midfield overrun) and have too many times wondered what they do in training (poor set plays, poor in possession)  for it to be dismissed as an off day. These two have been recurring themes for me. 

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• soonbe110

• BackOfTheNet

• jr ewing

1 minute ago, Riccarton3 said:

Are there any circumstances that have contributed to this? Been pretty well documented, no?

Alternatively, I've thought Neilson has been stubborn to persist with systems that weren't working (for instance having a midfield overrun) and have too many times wondered what they do in training (poor set plays, poor in possession)  for it to be dismissed as an off day. These two have been recurring themes for me. 

So, he changes too much and/or too little. Probably about right. 

6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

So, he changes too much and/or too little. Probably about right. 

You can't have issues with largely enforced changes. You can have issues when there are resources available but the set up leaves you overrun.

Before someone posts impressive possession stats, I'll qualify it by saying possession under pressure. 

Edited by Riccarton3

56 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Neilson has fielded 10 different players within a back three or four system with 20 different combinations across the 24 fixtures.

wracking my brains to think why he's had to do this.....

why oh why oh why didn't Robbie stick with Rowles and Halkett as our CB pairing despite being injured. absolute madness.

and if he DID have to swap those players out for other defenders, he should've stuck with a back four. Regardless of having 3 defenders like, I dunno say Kingsley (when fit) at LCH, Nielsen CB and Sibbick / Smith RCB

3 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

wracking my brains to think why he's had to do this.....

why oh why oh why didn't Robbie stick with Rowles and Halkett as our CB pairing despite being injured. absolute madness.

and if he DID have to swap those players out for other defenders, he should've stuck with a back four. Regardless of having 3 defenders like, I dunno say Kingsley (when fit) at LCH, Nielsen CB and Sibbick / Smith RCB

I've seen in rugby players being treated on the park while the game remains in progress. 

4 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

I've seen in rugby players being treated on the park while the game remains in progress. 

Robbie should be demanding this from our namby pamby players. 

it's only not happening because we have a woman.....yes a WOMAN turning our club into a church coffee morning knitting club.

7 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

Robbie should be demanding this from our namby pamby players. 

it's only not happening because we have a woman.....yes a WOMAN turning our club into a church coffee morning knitting club.

Aye but the scones are great! 😋

Seriously though, kinda ironic that we were the club that used the fewest amount of players in the league last season! We've probably doubled that tally already!.... we've been hugely unlucky with injuries so far, hopefully that'll stop after the WC. RN deserves credit (as do the players) for having us where we are in the league at present.

Shooter McGavin
1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

It’s almost like we were hammered with injuries…

1 minute ago, Shooter McGavin said:

irrelevant!

Rowles in a wheelchair and Halkett on crutches. no excuse.

play Darge or Kinglsey / Cochrane at CB....?

2 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

What .......................... his problem is injuries to his three first choice central defenders ? Yes , I agree

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

What .......................... his problem is injuries to his three first choice central defenders ? Yes , I agree

Add in a couple of suspensions as well.

4 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Aye but the scones are great! 😋

Seriously though, kinda ironic that we were the club that used the fewest amount of players in the league last season! We've probably doubled that tally already!.... we've been hugely unlucky with injuries so far, hopefully that'll stop after the WC. RN deserves credit (as do the players) for having us where we are in the league at present.

Are those the kebab scones?

5 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

You are aware our two first choice CB's have been injured all season? Our back two didn't have the experience to cope and both went through confidence dips which forced further rotation followed by injury and more rotation. 

I do think there is cause to be unhappy about having to rely on inexperienced players but bashing Robbie for working with what he had and still keeping us within touching distance of 3rd is a brilliant achievement. After the WC is done, then its very much game on with Halkett back - Rowles to service a suspension and hopefully Kingsley won't be too far away either. 

i wish jj was my dad

I know that the intention was to kick Robbie but i think that the Scotsman quote actually demonstrates how challenging the circumstances have been. 

To be within touching distance of third is actually an achievement.  

18 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I know that the intention was to kick Robbie but i think that the Scotsman quote actually demonstrates how challenging the circumstances have been. 

To be within touching distance of third is actually an achievement.  

In the article itself that's how it was clearly intended.

The article is by Joel Sked, who's one of their more clear-headed writers.

image.thumb.png.f89e6f2d9c179afae3636e59555f76de.png

Byyy The Light
18 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

And suspensions and often had two high intensity matches a week, week on week.

Next to no time to work on anything in training between matches too.

i wish jj was my dad
25 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

And suspensions and often had two high intensity matches a week, week on week.

Next to no time to work on anything in training between matches too.

But Robbie oot, though. 

Ex member of the SaS

For all those who replied, YES we have had injuries, but look back and see where others have questioned why certain players are not getting a shout. Then ask yourselves why Robbie has the nick name TINKERMAN.

Teams like the Glasgow bigots rarely change and tactics rarely change so the players understand what another player will do when they have the ball. By constantly tinkering, our players don't know what tactics or formation they are supposed to be using.

Robbie like his predecessor changes formation depending on who we play, yes it works in some instances, but he does it trying to out fox his opponent and fails like his predecessor. Get the team settled ( yes it will help when players return ) and play the same team as often as possible.

The managers job is to get the best out of who he has available and Robbie has failed in this.

4 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

For all those who replied, YES we have had injuries, but look back and see where others have questioned why certain players are not getting a shout. Then ask yourselves why Robbie has the nick name TINKERMAN.

Teams like the Glasgow bigots rarely change and tactics rarely change so the players understand what another player will do when they have the ball. By constantly tinkering, our players don't know what tactics or formation they are supposed to be using.

Robbie like his predecessor changes formation depending on who we play, yes it works in some instances, but he does it trying to out fox his opponent and fails like his predecessor. Get the team settled ( yes it will help when players return ) and play the same team as often as possible.

The managers job is to get the best out of who he has available and Robbie has failed in this.

Never heard anybody call Robbie "Tinkerman".

Seen it posted a couple of times on here by the usual bampots but they don't hold much credence in the great scheme of things.

You've boxed yourself into a bit of a corner by the looks of it. Put yourself into a bracket alongside Bongo, Pasquale and 4 ever.

Not great !

2 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Seen it posted a couple of times on here by the usual bampots but they don't hold much credence in the great scheme of things.

You've boxed yourself into a bit of a corner by the looks of it. Put yourself into a bracket alongside Bongo, Pasquale and 4 ever.

Not great !

Ditto - but, hey, it's not as if Robbie's detractors ever invent stuff to feed their obsession...do they?

50 minutes ago, sirwalter said:

Ditto - but, hey, it's not as if Robbie's detractors ever invent stuff to feed their obsession...do they?

Certain posters need to be challenged when they make stuff up and post it as fact rather than a twisted opinion.

3 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Because we have a small but vocal set of utter fuds in our support. Any other questions?

On 17/11/2022 at 12:43, Thunder and Lightning said:

If Robbie doesn't win the World Cup this time round i hope the board sack him.

🤣 Favourite post all week.

Ex member of the SaS
6 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Not great !

I class myself above the ragin bams on here and think I have a more balanced view. I can praise him when he gets things right but still maintain he is too defensive minded. It was one of the commentators on TV ( Cragan ( sp )  I think ) that said fans are calling Robbie Tinkerman due to the times he changes selections and tactics. I think it may have been before the Livi game but it may have been earlier. You can't deny he does make some strange substitutions during games, Taking off a player who is doing well leaving on one that is off his game.

3 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

I class myself above the ragin bams on here and think I have a more balanced view. I can praise him when he gets things right but still maintain he is too defensive minded. It was one of the commentators on TV ( Cragan ( sp )  I think ) that said fans are calling Robbie Tinkerman due to the times he changes selections and tactics. I think it may have been before the Livi game but it may have been earlier. You can't deny he does make some strange substitutions during games, Taking off a player who is doing well leaving on one that is off his game.

It's nice you class yourself above them.

Craigan that famous Hearts supporter eh 😆😆😆😆

Every manager on the planet will make substitutions that some supporters find baffling. Not knowing the ins and outs is the life of a supporter.

i wish jj was my dad

When you are in a hole best to stop digging  because it kinda does put you alongside the posters you describe.  And when you are have to rely on Stephen Craigan who has hardly got his finger on the pulse to back you up you should realise the game is up. 

Robbie has been forced into making changes because of injuries and suspensions. Andy Halliday described it as the worst he has experienced in his career. I certainly can't remember anything like it and I went to my first game in 1978. 

On your other point. I think our record in the last couple of years has shown Robbie is anything but defensive minded and the scudding by Rangers was a prime example of being opened up because we were too expansive.

I'm not sure what it would take to win guys like you over but FWIW, I can't see Robbie anybody else we can attract on our budget satisfying you when you come out with stuff like that. 

7 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

You mean, exactly like he was able to do last year, when we didn't have frequent midweek games nor injuries to contend with?

When the players he has available are of a lower quality, the best he can get out of them is going to be worse than when he has a full squad to choose from. 

Wow.

i wish jj was my dad
8 minutes ago, Rampant said:

You mean, exactly like he was able to do last year, when we didn't have frequent midweek games nor injuries to contend with?

When the players he has available are of a lower quality, the best he can get out of them is going to be worse than when he has a full squad to choose from. 

The other thing that he had to contend with was Sibbick's dining form which was almost certainly made worse by being played beside left backs and also having to pitch Neilson in without having an experienced centre half to help him. Add in not having first choice midfielders in front of them and having to play our third choice left back it was quite a set of circumstances to contend with at the back. The main thing I criticised him for was not playing Haring at the back at that time because he was the best available to dominate the box. Hopefully at least two of Halkett, Rowles and Sibbick will be available for the remainder of the campaign. 

13 minutes ago, Rampant said:

You are wasting your time trying to educate these people. They live in a fantasy land in their head.

Shooter McGavin
7 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Had to stop after tinkerman 😂

You’ve just made that up, so the rest of your post can be safely consigned to the nonsense pile.

What made you decide that Steven Craigan is a more reliable barometer than your experience of the hearts support though?

No one calls him tinkerman.

30 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You are wasting your time trying to educate these people. They live in a fantasy land in their head.

Correct. The 'Robbie Karens' are a bunch of zoomers. 

i wish jj was my dad

Tbf to the guy, I'd love to be in a position where we could play a settled back four or get by with 14 or 15 players like we did in the 80s but it just isn't possible any more. I guess it is to do with the pace of the game but that's the reality. 

If Robbie is able to select a side along the following lines we will skoosh 3rd:

CG1

Smith/Sibbick, Halkett, Rowles, Kingsley/Cochrane 

Atkinson/Ginnelly/Forrest, Devlin, Snodgrass, Mckay/Cochrane

Shankland, Humphreys/Ginnelly.

And that's without Beni and Boyce. Nobody outside the bigots is beating that.

On 18/11/2022 at 11:48, Ex member of the SaS said:

Doesn’t sound like he’s your only, or most pressing, problem tbh 😳

Thunder and Lightning
2 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

U class urself above aye? 

Uv never been and never will be near our elite forces. Weirdo. 

30 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

U class urself above aye? 

Weirdo. 

Bit strong fella, I've edited your post.

Hope you don't mind.

1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Tbf to the guy, I'd love to be in a position where we could play a settled back four or get by with 14 or 15 players like we did in the 80s but it just isn't possible any more. I guess it is to do with the pace of the game but that's the reality. 

If Robbie is able to select a side along the following lines we will skoosh 3rd:

CG1

Smith/Sibbick, Halkett, Rowles, Kingsley/Cochrane 

Atkinson/Ginnelly/Forrest, Devlin, Snodgrass, Mckay/Cochrane

Shankland, Humphreys/Ginnelly.

And that's without Beni and Boyce. Nobody outside the bigots is beating that.

Tempting fate. 

Neilson does make more game-by-game adjustments than some managers. So does Graham Potter. If he does it successfully, doesn't seem like something to have a problem with.

Sitting here watching a Youtube vid of an end full of Hearts fans at Easter Road singing their hearts out for Daniel Stendel. Never heard that for Robbie Neilson. Robbie's never really had a song. Weird thing that. Coz when you analyse it, Robbie has done a lot more for Hearts than Daniel Stendel did.

Damn. Bongo's gonna come at me now isn't he? 😂

Edited by No Idle Talk

5 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

Sitting here watching a Youtube vid of an end full of Hearts fans at Easter Road singing their hearts out for Daniel Stendel. Never heard that for Robbie Neilson. Robbie's never really had a song. Weird thing that. Coz when you analyse it, Robbie has done a lot more for Hearts than Daniel Stendel did.

Damn. Bongo's gonna come at me now isn't he? 😂

I never sang for Stendel , I was too busy getting angrier and angrier as we slipped out the division by not bothering to defend 

I saw a werewolf with a team sheet in his hand

Walking through the streets of Gorgie in the rain

He was singing a song called "Hibs are ****ed"

Gonna send the old firm home, crying on the train

AAOOOOOOOOHHH Robbie ****ing Neilson

AAOOOOOOOOHHHH

Yeah okay this is why I don't write songs