Robbie!!! ( merged )

Graham Thomson

Shooter McGavin
38 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

We’re lucky to have him.

:rofl:

To be fair, look what happened with Aberdeen and Hibs (similar budget to ours) when they were in the market for a new manager.

Aberdeen hired Stephen Glass, who took a consistent 3rd/4th place team immediately to 9th. Only recently stabilising under Goodwin.

Hibs currently have three managers on their payroll cause they couldn’t get it right ffs, and now on their third attempt they’ve got someone who’s currently got them to the dizzying heights of 8th.

Even looking at ourselves, when Neilson was headhunted by MK Dons, we started a slow decline from being 2nd in the league, to relegation a few years later under the likes of Cathro, Levein & Stendel…

So I do think there’s a strong argument for being grateful for what you’ve got, and also being careful what you wish for.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• soonbe110

• BackOfTheNet

• jr ewing

19 hours ago, NB GIN said:

We don’t have the players to play wingbacks. You need 2 athletes to play that role these days not smith Cochrane. Decent players but definitely not wing backs.

There isn’t a better athlete at the club than Cochrane. That’s one of things you’re almost guaranteed  get from a player who’s been around an EPL club

47 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I was cringing for the Hearts supporter. A couple of the other panelists took sly digs at him later, not explicitly but kind of implying he was acting the entitled arsehole.

It also appeared to be the only time across the whole two hours where the whole Open Goal panel basically had no time whatsoever for one of the panelists' argument. Others, like the debate around GVB, they all allowed for points on both sides, but on Neilson they were fairly uniformly rejecting it out of hand.

Good summation LT and totally agree.

I do think he could have re worded the point a whole lot better, but as you said, it did come across as being very entitled from the supporter.

Faddy went for him, big time. 

I could be wrong but I wondered if that also had a bit to do with halliday in the sense that the rest of the panel will probably hear a lot more of what really goes on behind the scenes at the club and in the background. Food for thought indeed. 

I think the biggest thing for me was when they made the point that the budget disparity between the OF and the rest is vast with massive dfferentuals.

Then they immediately went on to say that whatever disparity remains between the rest of the club's, out with the OF, pales into insignificance, and if you are going to make any further direct comparisons, especially when it comes to winning games consistently against each other. 

The other interesting point for me was when Si Ferry asked halliday about what was Neilsons biggest strength as a coach and he said immediately, man management.

He did say afterwards that he was a "good" coach, but you could see that most of the panel agreed, that in modern football, man management is probably just as important as any other skill set you need, and to be successful in the modern game. 

Tell u what, putting all the "weegie" dialect to one side, I thought that halliday and McFadden came across a while lot better than the likes of miller, Gordon, English and dare I say it big Craig, when it comes to understanding how the modern game works.

They both showed a really good amount of club knowledge throughout the league as well. 

1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

It's well known a good few Hearts supporters have a rack full of slip on shoes.

This place has more than it's fair share.

Zero patience, zero tolerance and delusions of grandeur . . . . With the square root of Jack Shit to back it up.

It's always been like that tbf, must be an entitlement handed down by generations.

Amen 👍🏻

3 hours ago, red said:

I’ve played and watched football for 40+ years and like to think I know my stuff..

Nevertheless I’m NOT a professional, I don’t understand the ins and out of everyday football management. When the likes of professionals like McFadden, Stewart, Naismith and even Halliday tell you that Robbie Neilson is basically the best manager in the league you listen. 

said it numerous times on here we have had a good season this year and a great one last year. 

this interview tells you all you need to know about where we are and where we’re heading! 

intense attacking football with style once we get back on a level playing field which will roughly be within the next 4-6 weeks! 

personally I can’t wait to see RN and his management team take us next level which btw is probably 3rd with a cup and/or European run (likely not 2nd in league) 

we are VERY lucky to have RN in charge of our football club and as Halliday said on Open Goal it’s a minority who think otherwise (majority are on here right enough!!) 

If you disagree with any of this article your clueless and you don’t know football even at fickle fan level. 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-from-last-season-to-this-season-points-prizes-perceptions-and-punters-3917792?amp

Yip

I just go with what I see and I see a right connection between the Fans and Robbie and his team. Probably since away in Latvia, but more noticeable at  the Fiorentina away game. You could visibly see Robbie was loving the support during the Fiorentina game and especially up at Dingwall. And if he can see and feel it, the players certainly will and they have burst their arse. So I'll take that, more than what I read on here. The support is behind Robbie and his team.

Edited by ri Alban

On 15/11/2022 at 17:53, Led Tasso said:

I was cringing for the Hearts supporter. A couple of the other panelists took sly digs at him later, not explicitly but kind of implying he was acting the entitled arsehole.

It also appeared to be the only time across the whole two hours where the whole Open Goal panel basically had no time whatsoever for one of the panelists' argument. Others, like the debate around GVB, they all allowed for points on both sides, but on Neilson they were fairly uniformly rejecting it out of hand.

Which is unfair as us as supporters watch our team week in week out and are entitled to our opinion. I’ve not seen this as yet though. Robbie is in the McInnes at Aberdeen zone whereby he does a reasonable job but isn’t upsetting the OF too much so the media like him and don’t hear criticism etc.

For what it’s worth I like Robbie but I can see the point about the bigger games esp this season. Zurich, Killie, OF games, Florentina, Istanbul. Every big game so far this season we’ve lost.

16 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I just go with what I see and I see a right connection between the Fans and Robbie and his team. Probably since away in Latvia, but more noticeable at  the Fiorentina away game. You could visibly see Robbie was loving the support during the Fiorentina game and especially up at Dingwall. And if he can see and feel it, the players certainly will and they have burst their arse. So I'll take that, more than what I read on here. The support is behind Robbie and his team.

Robbie has deliberately and shrewdly cultivated this in the media at every opportunity this season. The support is behind the team. The supporters enjoyed the Euro trips, Robbie delivered this. He was within a penalty of delivering a trophy. But something does still linger, he’s only ever a defeat or two from being under pressure from a section of the support.

i wish jj was my dad
2 minutes ago, Sarajevo5-1 said:

Robbie has deliberately and shrewdly cultivated this in the media at every opportunity this season. The support is behind the team. The supporters enjoyed the Euro trips, Robbie delivered this. He was within a penalty of delivering a trophy. But something does still linger, he’s only ever a defeat or two from being under pressure from a section of the support.

Or maybe he is just very connected to the club and support given that he had been part of it for half his life. 

And not being a classless arsehole helps his image. 

3 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Or maybe he is just very connected to the club and support given that he had been part of it for half his life. 

I’m not saying it’s a bad thing he’s just pushed it more this season. He is connected to the club clearly and wants to show it. He’s also had reason for it by delivering the Euro campaign for us. He does come over very well in the media. 

18 minutes ago, Sarajevo5-1 said:

Which is unfair as us as supporters watch our team week in week out and are entitled to our opinion. I’ve not seen this as yet though. Robbie is in the McInnes at Aberdeen zone whereby he does a reasonable job but isn’t upsetting the OF too much so the media like him and don’t hear criticism etc.

For what it’s worth I like Robbie but I can see the point about the bigger games esp this season. Zurich, Killie, OF games, Florentina, Istanbul. Every big game so far this season we’ve lost.

Aberdeen sacking McInnes was one of the most idiotic things any Scottish club has done in recent memory. The Hearts fan on the video mentioned this as well, and it was dismissed out of hand by the panel because if you're saying, "we're like Aberdeen with Mcinnes" you have pretty much clearly said, "we have our best manager in decades and sacking him would be utter lunacy." Naught to do with "not upsetting the OF" (oh please!).

The "big game" thing is utter pap. The RFS games were big games. The Motherwell game was a big game. The derby at ER a big game that was disappointing but not a loss.

Faddy pretty clearly made the point that apparently some Hearts fans prefer the Stendel model where we win some famous OF games and a derby here and there but are otherwise pants in the league and bump along the bottom of the table, versus never having finished below Hibs but not winning at ER and getting the usual service vs. the OF. To me it's madness to want the former over the latter, but there's no accounting for taste (or sense, for that matter).

17 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Yip . The small number of fans who still hold the Hibs and Brora grudge just can not see that they are in a minority , and look for other ways to explain it 

Not necessarily you @Sarajevo5-1

i wish jj was my dad
12 minutes ago, Sarajevo5-1 said:

I’m not saying it’s a bad thing he’s just pushed it more this season. He is connected to the club clearly and wants to show it. He’s also had reason for it by delivering the Euro campaign for us. He does come over very well in the media. 

I think it is quite simple. He's a good lad and comes across as one. That said, he doesn't suffer fools gladly and calls out arseholery when he sees it.  Folk in the business will respect that. 

Byyy The Light
8 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Aberdeen sacking McInnes was one of the most idiotic things any Scottish club has done in recent memory. The Hearts fan on the video mentioned this as well, and it was dismissed out of hand by the panel because if you're saying, "we're like Aberdeen with Mcinnes" you have pretty much clearly said, "we have our best manager in decades and sacking him would be utter lunacy." Naught to do with "not upsetting the OF" (oh please!).

The "big game" thing is utter pap. The RFS games were big games. The Motherwell game was a big game. The derby at ER a big game that was disappointing but not a loss.

Faddy pretty clearly made the point that apparently some Hearts fans prefer the Stendel model where we win some famous OF games and a derby here and there but are otherwise pants in the league and bump along the bottom of the table, versus never having finished below Hibs but not winning at ER and getting the usual service vs. the OF. To me it's madness to want the former over the latter, but there's no accounting for taste (or sense, for that matter).

McFadden was brilliant in what he said. Some will never see it though. They are blinkered from reality.

Aberdeen plummeted post-McInnes, H1b5 likewise post-Jack Ross.

On 15/11/2022 at 17:47, The Real Maroonblood said:

We’re lucky to have him.

:rofl:

I dunno what you find so ROFL funny about that. 'The Real Greenblood' more like. 😁

Sherbet Rools!!! 😎

56 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I agree we would be mad to sack Robbie. My point was that Faddy and co as OF apologists are happy to praise the likes of McInnes and Robbie as we're not seen as a threat. Supporters are entitled to be unhappy with the football we play. The RFS games were games we should be winning as is Motherwell at home. We should have won at ER. We should have beat Zurich over the two legs. We're making progress under Robbie clearly but we need to start winning big games, Euro games, derby's, OF games etc consistently

Edited by Sarajevo5-1

8 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Robbie should be beating the old firm, Fiorentina and Istanbul without half a team. 

We had a full team against Zurich and Killie at home. 

9 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Robbie should be beating the old firm, Fiorentina and Istanbul without half a team. 

And why shouldn't we be looking to do this?

13 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Should be doing it while playing entertaining football too

Niemi’s gloves
2 hours ago, Sarajevo5-1 said:

We had a full team against Zurich and Killie at home. 

What is this mysterious “Killie” at home that you keep mentioning? Are you talking about the LC game, the least important game of the season? The one that came just three days after a league win against St Johnstone that proved costly in terms of injuries? The one that saw  Atkinson, Halkett, Rowles, Kingsley all missing at back? The one that saw Boyce missing up front but Humphrys not yet available to replace him? Full team my arse. 

i wish jj was my dad
7 hours ago, Sarajevo5-1 said:

We did but weren't good enough. The half a team part had a bit of an influence. We will do well to get results against them at full strength

Would people take finishing third and guaranteed European money and 3 derby loses or finishing 7 and winning all three derbies? :rofl: Sorry, just read that to masel, when would that lot ever beat us 3 times. giggle-laugh.gif 

:fth:

Edited by ri Alban

9 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

What is this mysterious “Killie” at home that you keep mentioning? Are you talking about the LC game, the least important game of the season? The one that came just three days after a league win against St Johnstone that proved costly in terms of injuries? The one that saw  Atkinson, Halkett, Rowles, Kingsley all missing at back? The one that saw Boyce missing up front but Humphrys not yet available to replace him? Full team my arse. 

What a load of pish abouth the cup. We'd all be (expletive) ourselves into a coma if we won the league cup.

Edited by GinRummy

On 16/11/2022 at 03:19, ri Alban said:

Yes, totally agree... I've also noticed that Barry @ Evening News quotes (in quite a lot of his articles with RN) - that Robbie is always reiterating to the players about the fans (travelling & FOH in particular). Usually along the lines of " they (us) give week in, week out, so the least they should expect is effort..." etc, etc.... he certainly appreciates the support.

Edited by Rogue Daddy
Jumped the gun. Just seen later posts saying similar. Ah well... still worth noting.

14 hours ago, Sarajevo5-1 said:

I agree we would be mad to sack Robbie. My point was that Faddy and co as OF apologists are happy to praise the likes of McInnes and Robbie as we're not seen as a threat. Supporters are entitled to be unhappy with the football we play. The RFS games were games we should be winning as is Motherwell at home. We should have won at ER. We should have beat Zurich over the two legs. We're making progress under Robbie clearly but we need to start winning big games, Euro games, derby's, OF games etc consistently

Are you saying McFadden wouldn't be praising Neilson if he was a threat to the OF? As an old firm apologist, what would he be doing instead?

Byyy The Light
14 hours ago, Sarajevo5-1 said:

You're right.  We should never lose a game.  What is it exactly you are trying to say?  Absolutely deluded.

Look we all want Hearts to win every game.  Most of the adults understand that sometimes we'll play crap and lose. We get over it and move on to the following week.  

Or are you saying that Robbie deliberately goes out to lose the games you are listing?

18 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Yes, totally agree... I've also noticed that Barry @ Evening News quotes (in quite a lot of his articles with RN) - that Robbie is always reiterating to the players about the fans (travelling & FOH in particular). Usually along the lines of " they (us) give week in, week out, so the least they should expect is effort..." etc, etc.... he certainly appreciates the support.

:thumb:

Niemi’s gloves
2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

What a load of pish abouth the cup. We'd all be (expletive) ourselves into a coma if we won the league cup.

It’s about priorities, obviously. We weren’t aiming to lose the LC game but no big deal that we did. If we had won, we’d have had a 9th game in the course of October squeezed in between an away trip to Aberdeen and a home game against Celtic, at a time when our squad was severely stretched by injuries. 

40 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Are you saying McFadden wouldn't be praising Neilson if he was a threat to the OF? As an old firm apologist, what would he be doing instead?

Touting him for the Ibrox job 🤣

1 minute ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

It’s about priorities, obviously. We weren’t aiming to lose the LC game but no big deal that we did. If we had won, we’d have had a 9th game in the course of October squeezed in between an away trip to Aberdeen and a home game against Celtic, at a time when our squad was severely stretched by injuries. 

Blessing in disguise in a way.  You're both right here.  We want to win it.  We NEED to win it at some point, actually.  But in the situation we found ourselves in, if we needed to turn in a bad performance it was the game to do it!

Another example of why we need to keep securing (group) Euro football every year.  Not saying we're Man City, or even the OF, but we want to give a good account of ourselves in all 4 competitions.  That's a few points and memories in Europe, 3rd in league and deep in cup, only defeated by OF if defeated at all.  Frankly, we can't take 12 injuries and do this as it stands.  No one's fault.

Shooter McGavin
20 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Blessing in disguise in a way.  You're both right here.  We want to win it.  We NEED to win it at some point, actually.  But in the situation we found ourselves in, if we needed to turn in a bad performance it was the game to do it!

This is where I’m at, it’s all well and good wanting to put 100% into every competition, but logistically it just wasn’t possible with our squad depth at the time.

Not suggesting money is better than trophies, but I did find it funny to see the prize money for winning a single game in Europe trumps winning the League Cup.

5 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

This is where I’m at, it’s all well and good wanting to put 100% into every competition, but logistically it just wasn’t possible with our squad depth at the time.

Not suggesting money is better than trophies, but I did find it funny to see the prize money for winning a single game in Europe trumps winning the League Cup.

guess it would be!  That's quite funny.  yeah nowt to do with direct finance like that for me.  The single most important thing this season is coming 3rd.  So I guess it is finance, but it's because that will genuinely push us away from the pack if we achieve it.  And it isn't easy - history shows it - to come top 3 twice in a row, never mind euro runs, injuries etc.

If we come third, no matter what else happens, it's a brilliant season.  And one we can build on and start asking for and almost expecting more.

2 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

You're right.  We should never lose a game.  What is it exactly you are trying to say?  Absolutely deluded.

Look we all want Hearts to win every game.  Most of the adults understand that sometimes we'll play crap and lose. We get over it and move on to the following week.  

Or are you saying that Robbie deliberately goes out to lose the games you are listing?

I dont want to just settle for third is probably what I'm saying. There's almost something patronising about the pundits patting us on the back for it. There you go best of the rest but not bothering the OF. Aberdeen had this before us. Of course I know we'll play crap and lose sometimes. But a Hearts team should strive to win every single game. We should aim to challenge in the league and win the Cup competitions. The biggest didappointment of this season so far is that loss to Kilmarnock. Followed by that home defeat to Fiorentina. Yes they are a top top side but we were shite that night. Even the Rangers Cup Final, never really looked like winning the game. First half against Zurich and the Celtic game shows us what a Hearts team can be like. We lost both games but can take pride in how we played. You get the Ying and the Yang with Robbie. Undoubted progress on the park and off it though. Need to keep pushing and keep improving. Robbie needs a trophy to cement his reputation, for me anyway. Not suggesting for a minute we get rid of him of course not but he's not beyong criticism either.

3 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

No if he was seen as a threat they'd be talking about him replacing Gio!

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

guess it would be!  That's quite funny.  yeah nowt to do with direct finance like that for me.  The single most important thing this season is coming 3rd.  So I guess it is finance, but it's because that will genuinely push us away from the pack if we achieve it.  And it isn't easy - history shows it - to come top 3 twice in a row, never mind euro runs, injuries etc.

If we come third, no matter what else happens, it's a brilliant season.  And one we can build on and start asking for and almost expecting more.

So if we're 4th and win the League Cup? Supporters remember trophy wins not 3rd places. Or of  course we can be 3rd and win the League Cup.

Edited by Sarajevo5-1

2 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

No big deal? We have realistically 2 competitions we can win each season and you're happy with us just not bothering in one of them 🤷‍♂️🙈

9 minutes ago, Sarajevo5-1 said:

No if he was seen as a threat they'd be talking about him replacing Gio!

As an aside, why can't Van B get s tune out of Rangers? Draws at St Mirren, beaten in Perth. League over.

No idea what anyone else thinks but I genuinely do not give to hoots about the league cup.

Never have never will.

Scottish Cup and European qualification for me every time.

16 minutes ago, Sarajevo5-1 said:

So if we're 4th and win the League Cup? Supporters remember trophy wins not 3rd places. Or of  course we can be 3rd and win the League Cup.

Yeah yeah, I get that mate.  But to put ourselves in a position to be consistently that 3rd team and ready to pounce on any slip and push the OF, a 3rd this season is better long term?

Not sure I'm putting it well cos i want to win stuff!! But do you get what i mean?  We'll have more chance of winning stuff in the years to come by securing 3rd this season - I personally see it as a huge potential springboard if we do it.

Niemi’s gloves
5 minutes ago, Sarajevo5-1 said:

No big deal? We have realistically 2 competitions we can win each season and you're happy with us just not bothering in one of them 🤷‍♂️🙈

Firstly I note that you are ignoring my first post, which showed that your claim that we played a full team against Killie was untrue. 

On your comment above, as I said it’s all about priorities as subsequently discussed at length by a couple of sensible posters .

Finally I always think that resorting to silly wee e-mojis undermines any sensible point that you may have been trying to make. 

9 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

No idea what anyone else thinks but I genuinely do not give to hoots about the league cup.

Never have never will.

Scottish Cup and European qualification for me every time.

Similar . It would be nice , and it goes on our records , but it was completely devalued by the removal of a European spot . 

15 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yeah yeah, I get that mate.  But to put ourselves in a position to be consistently that 3rd team and ready to pounce on any slip and push the OF, a 3rd this season is better long term?

Not sure I'm putting it well cos i want to win stuff!! But do you get what i mean?  We'll have more chance of winning stuff in the years to come by securing 3rd this season - I personally see it as a huge potential springboard if we do it.

Yes agree with that. Not thumbing my nose at third at all. Fair points here.