Robbie!!! ( merged )

Graham Thomson

3 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Robbie is a pub team level manager surrounded by a management team best suited for Sunday League football. 

Taking medical advice from juveniles, Doogie Howsers and Polytechnic graduates.

Training routines that make Eddie Malofeev's seem like the Red Berets.

All underseen by a lady that thinks it is just the taking part that counts.

On a forum full of entitled morons, you really are the neediest. 

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• soonbe110

• BackOfTheNet

• jr ewing

12 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Again, this is straw man hypothetical stuff. It doesn’t address what the season has been like up until now, it only imagines what the season will be like in the future. What happens if we get another 10 injuries for example? What happens if Aberdeen put a run together? What happens if we lose to teams like Kilmarnock, Dundee United and Motherwell, but Aberdeen manage to beat Rangers. All ifs, buts and maybes. Valid discussion points, but not answers to what the season has been like so far.

No it’s not strawman hypothetical stuff. It’s saying that people are putting our league position in the context of the season. 

I’ve framed our current position in terms of what’s already happened, not what I suppose might and taking those matters into account being 4 points off 3rd doesn’t seem too bad. 

There have been some poor results but largely the season to date is a mixed bag with reasons to be optimistic. 

Edited by BlueRiver

2 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

We dont have anyone capable of that in a sustained fashion, (they are expensive and hard to come by IMO). Snodgrass, at times. Humph seems the best bet.

Think it's more down to the manager not wanting to play that way, rather than not being to find someone.  The emphasis in the centre of midfield seems to be more on holding/defensive minded players. Agreed that box to box carrying midfielders are hard to come by, though we've done it in the past. Just feel we lack that particular threat in our arsenal, as when we do go through the middle it can be fantastic to watch. 

13 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

On a forum full of entitled morons, you really are the neediest. 

Its also not clear he goes to any games as he previously stated he was boycotting.

58 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Again, this is straw man hypothetical stuff. It doesn’t address what the season has been like up until now, it only imagines what the season will be like in the future. What happens if we get another 10 injuries for example? What happens if Aberdeen put a run together? What happens if we lose to teams like Kilmarnock, Dundee United and Motherwell, but Aberdeen manage to beat Rangers. All ifs, buts and maybes. Valid discussion points, but not answers to what the season has been like so far.

You are absolutely correct. These analogies are hopeless - they count not a jot. There is nothing between the teams (out-with Glasgow) in this league at the moment so drawing any comparison is purely a "wild forecast".

gorgierulesapply88
5 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

In your previous post, you said: 

Oh but Celtic and Rangers paid this for him and pay him this amount per week, get in the bin

But now suddenly you’re suggesting that budgets ARE a factor?

It was tongue n cheek.

5 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Robbie is a pub team level manager surrounded by a management team best suited for Sunday League football. 

:gok: 

Folk do know i8 is a parody account?

5 hours ago, Fraggle said:

Am I reading this the wrong way, but what managerial career? Has there been an assumption that Bongo is a former player/manager? 

There’s a former player who fits his claims. (Teen Hearts player, right era, had a role at the club that involved youth, had multiple management stops, none very successful.) Well liked player too, which makes it sad if Bongo is him.

9 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

There’s a former player who fits his claims. (Teen Hearts player, right era, had a role at the club that involved youth, had multiple management stops, none very successful.) Well liked player too, which makes it sad if Bongo is him.

It's not Gary. 100%

The Grim Reaper
16 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

:cornette:

Get a life. Seriously. 

1 hour ago, BlueRiver said:

No it’s not strawman hypothetical stuff. It’s saying that people are putting our league position in the context of the season. 

I’ve framed our current position in terms of what’s already happened, not what I suppose might and taking those matters into account being 4 points off 3rd doesn’t seem too bad. 

There have been some poor results but largely the season to date is a mixed bag with reasons to be optimistic. 

If people were only using the “4 points off 3rd” as an argument against those going over the top about where we are, I would understand it. But people are using it to justify any bad performance, tactic or decision this season. We can and should be performing better as a whole this season, and simply saying we don’t need to or probably don’t need to isn’t a great argument.

Inexperience is the weakness of the management team. They are improving over time and getting better results in big games… the semi final wins over the Wee team being good examples.

Our club is happy to develop a management team.

1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

If people were only using the “4 points off 3rd” as an argument against those going over the top about where we are, I would understand it. But people are using it to justify any bad performance, tactic or decision this season. We can and should be performing better as a whole this season, and simply saying we don’t need to or probably don’t need to isn’t a great argument.

It’s not a great argument but it’s better than rehashing the same cliches regardless of what happened on the pitch.

The game yesterday was very different from, say, the game at Ibrox. I don’t feel like it’s asking too much to say people should be able to find different criticisms between the games. I think we generally did okay but were just outclassed a bit at Ibrox, but had the wrong shape yesterday.

19 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

It’s not a great argument but it’s better than rehashing the same cliches regardless of what happened on the pitch.

The game yesterday was very different from, say, the game at Ibrox. I don’t feel like it’s asking too much to say people should be able to find different criticisms between the games. I think we generally did okay but were just outclassed a bit at Ibrox, but had the wrong shape yesterday.

That’s exactly what I said in my first posts from this morning. That I take each game on its own merits at the moment, as arguments such as “4 points off 3rd” are vague and almost baseless. Context is always important, but I feel when people use that argument it’s almost dismissive. Some actually talk about each performance, as you, I and a few others have done since yesterday, but there are many - on both sides - who want to be dismissive either of Neilson, or of his critics.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

Shooter McGavin
57 minutes ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

It was tongue n cheek.

Was it, aye? 😂

Or more likely, you’ve tangled yourself up and contradicted yourself, and can no longer present a coherent argument?

gorgierulesapply88
31 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Was it, aye? 😂

Or more likely, you’ve tangled yourself up and contradicted yourself, and can no longer present a coherent argument?

No.

We go on about budgets and our budget should be in our favour against livi. But because of said budgets we can goto celtic and rangers and just roll over and accept defeat.

3 hours ago, frankblack said:

Its also not clear he goes to any games as he previously stated he was boycotting.

Boycotting woman tae.

On 12/11/2022 at 20:30, Led Tasso said:

We played the 4-2-3-1 formation today, which is what we play more than anything else. I think he should have changed it.

Not sure how today constitutes "overthinking" it though. We were in a bit of a bog standard Neilson formation.

I didn’t see 4231 yesterday but the point is stick with it. 

We do change more than any team by miles 

3 hours ago, NB GIN said:

I didn’t see 4231 yesterday but the point is stick with it. 

We do change more than any team by miles 

I feel like all last season we had two base formations, the 3-4-3 and the 4-2-3-1. This season we've tried the 4-3-3 and the 4-1-4-1, both of which really aren't that different than the 4-2-3-1, really just how you arrange the attacking midfielders.

The biggest curveball I've seen us throw was going to the 4-4-1-1 against Rangers.

I think yesterday was the perfect time to use the 3-4-3. We needed the wingbacks further forward to be able to pass the ball through their stodgy midfield traps. As far as what it actually was, Hearts TV had their on-screen graphic as a 4-1-4-1 but that was with Halliday in the attacking midfield alongside Snodgrass with Kio behind them. When Devlin came on instead, I felt like both Dev and Kio ended up effectively playing holding mids, which made us sag into a 4-2-3-1. Maybe the late change messed with our preparation, I dunno.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Maybe the late change messed with our preparation, I dunno.

sounds like “no plan B”      

:(

1 minute ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

sounds like “no plan B”      

:(

Okay, I'll bite. WTF is this obsession with "plan B" with regards to Robbie? What football manager goes into a game saying, "right, this is our plan, and oh, if they foil it in a totally predictable way, we respond with this totally different other thing?" Is this a thing that actually happens? Do top level managers talk about what their plan B was in case things go wrong?

Managers adjust the game plan of course but the notion that there's a fallback set of schematics in their back pockets always seems bizarre.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Okay, I'll bite. WTF is this obsession with "plan B" with regards to Robbie? What football manager goes into a game saying, "right, this is our plan, and oh, if they foil it in a totally predictable way, we respond with this totally different other thing?" Is this a thing that actually happens? Do top level managers talk about what their plan B was in case things go wrong?

Managers adjust the game plan of course but the notion that there's a fallback set of schematics in their back pockets always seems bizarre.

im only joking mate although the bread man at rangers was quoted as saying they didn’t need a plan B they just needed to execute plan A better

you've called out cliches like no plan B not brave enough etc and then rabbit on about formations etc like it’s a different level of debate - we should have played this formation etc with no reference to the fact that livi then might have changed their formation

it’s all a bit of fun chat on a football forum but if you’re going to slag punters off for cliches then you’ll have to do a bit better than regurgitating formation-based cliches

we should go with the Barry Fry team talk of go out on the pitch and kick the ball into their net more times they kick the ball into our net

:)

2 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

im only joking mate although the bread man at rangers was quoted as saying they didn’t need a plan B they just needed to execute plan A better

you've called out cliches like no plan B not brave enough etc and then rabbit on about formations etc like it’s a different level of debate - we should have played this formation etc with no reference to the fact that livi then might have changed their formation

it’s all a bit of fun chat on a football forum but if you’re going to slag punters off for cliches then you’ll have to do a bit better than regurgitating formation-based cliches

we should go with the Barry Fry team talk of go out on the pitch and kick the ball into their net more times they kick the ball into our net

:)

Ah, sorry, it's been a really long weekend and my sense of humor is broken. Cheers.

On 13/11/2022 at 09:29, i8hibsh said:

women!!!!

image.jpeg.01ff1202727a5e1fb8041dcdfe06c577.jpeg

I like Robbie, he has his faults but most managers do. He's been dealt an awful hand with the injuries and I'm pretty certain we would have had more points on the board if he had either Halkett or Rowles available more than he has. I think judgement will come if we don't pick up points once our injured players come back. However what can't be denied is that there is a togetherness amongst the squad of players and a willingness to play for the manager and dig out results. I've watched Hibs and Aberdeen a few times this season and there is nothing from either of them to fear. I will be astonished if Hibs are even in the running for 3rd, they are very poor IMO and top 6 might be a stretch for them again this season. 

i wish jj was my dad
8 hours ago, PapaShango said:

I like Robbie, he has his faults but most managers do. He's been dealt an awful hand with the injuries and I'm pretty certain we would have had more points on the board if he had either Halkett or Rowles available more than he has. I think judgement will come if we don't pick up points once our injured players come back. However what can't be denied is that there is a togetherness amongst the squad of players and a willingness to play for the manager and dig out results. I've watched Hibs and Aberdeen a few times this season and there is nothing from either of them to fear. I will be astonished if Hibs are even in the running for 3rd, they are very poor IMO and top 6 might be a stretch for them again this season. 

Agree with all of this. 

21 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

I feel like all last season we had two base formations, the 3-4-3 and the 4-2-3-1. This season we've tried the 4-3-3 and the 4-1-4-1, both of which really aren't that different than the 4-2-3-1, really just how you arrange the attacking midfielders.

The biggest curveball I've seen us throw was going to the 4-4-1-1 against Rangers.

I think yesterday was the perfect time to use the 3-4-3. We needed the wingbacks further forward to be able to pass the ball through their stodgy midfield traps. As far as what it actually was, Hearts TV had their on-screen graphic as a 4-1-4-1 but that was with Halliday in the attacking midfield alongside Snodgrass with Kio behind them. When Devlin came on instead, I felt like both Dev and Kio ended up effectively playing holding mids, which made us sag into a 4-2-3-1. Maybe the late change messed with our preparation, I dunno.

We don’t have the players to play wingbacks. You need 2 athletes to play that role these days not smith Cochrane. Decent players but definitely not wing backs.

Just now, NB GIN said:

We don’t have the players to play wingbacks. You need 2 athletes to play that role these days not smith Cochrane. Decent players but definitely not wing backs.

Both Cochrane's and Atkinson's best position is wingback.

Just now, Led Tasso said:

Aitkinson is a midfield right for me not great defensively 

Cochrane is much better defending

Maybe we can morph them into one 

Just now, Led Tasso said:

Aye but when we play 3-4-3 we lose the midfield battle as only 2 in the middle. 

Unless Robbie wants to try a more traditional 3-5-2.  

It's five at the back in any case because the "wing-backs" aren't good enough and get pushed back along with the two overworked central midfielders.

We largely solved the midfield overrun problem last season by having Boyce sit behind the rest of the forwards and play a kind of extra high midfielder/#10 position and change it into a 3-4-1-2 with a single wing and Simms cutting in a bit more than sitting high. Snodgrass is the natural person to slot into that role but since we've gotten him on board we haven't had the CHs healthy to play a decent back 3.

Put Snodgrass in that #10 position and have a high quality back 3 and the 3-4-3 (or 3-4-1-2 or whatever) is an ideal formation for breaking down stodgy teams like Livingston.

Cochrane and Atkinson are both athletic wing backs who contribute a lot in the forward areas . Any one with eyes in their head be able to see that . Honestly some of the stuff you read on here 😄 

4 hours ago, NB GIN said:

Cochrane not being athletic. 

:wow:

5 hours ago, NB GIN said:

We have actual wingers. Gino Forrest, McKay. When our fbs attack, it'll causes a double team on the opposition, that should end up with ample supply for the main man(Shankland) to bury every other team.

If you play WBs, it's should be 3 in midfield with two up front. Boyce/McKay/Gino/Humphreys and Shankland 

CG 

CH  KR   SK

NA                          AC

CD     BB 

RS

JG  LS

CG 

CH  KR  SK 

NA                         AC 

CD    RS(Until BB comes back)

JG           LS           BM

Not sure if RS will be here next season is why I'd play the players who will.

Edited by ri Alban

I just finished watching that open goal fans forum. It was posted on another thread. 

Was interesting to see when the Hearts supporter opened up on the fact that he doesn't think that Robbie is capable in the bigger games and essentially shites the bed. 

McFadden and halliday, especially, opened him up and went back at him in terms of saying that we are lucky to have Neilson.

They pretty much had him in their pockets where any debate was concerned. Not to the point the supporter was backtracking but he got his just desserts 

Whether your for or against Robbie the panel certainly put forward a very good counter argument in all fairness. 

If u haven't watched it yet the you tube link is posted in another thread. The heart's content opens up about 33 minutes in. Worth a watch and just to see what was said. 

8 hours ago, NB GIN said:

**** me how to expose your lack of knowledge in one short post. 😂

Cochrane and Atkinson are the very definition of Athletes and wingbacks. 

I’ve played and watched football for 40+ years and like to think I know my stuff..

Nevertheless I’m NOT a professional, I don’t understand the ins and out of everyday football management. When the likes of professionals like McFadden, Stewart, Naismith and even Halliday tell you that Robbie Neilson is basically the best manager in the league you listen. 

said it numerous times on here we have had a good season this year and a great one last year. 

this interview tells you all you need to know about where we are and where we’re heading! 

intense attacking football with style once we get back on a level playing field which will roughly be within the next 4-6 weeks! 

personally I can’t wait to see RN and his management team take us next level which btw is probably 3rd with a cup and/or European run (likely not 2nd in league) 

we are VERY lucky to have RN in charge of our football club and as Halliday said on Open Goal it’s a minority who think otherwise (majority are on here right enough!!) 

If you disagree with any of this article your clueless and you don’t know football even at fickle fan level. 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-from-last-season-to-this-season-points-prizes-perceptions-and-punters-3917792?amp

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, red said:

I’ve played and watched football for 40+ years and like to think I know my stuff..

Nevertheless I’m NOT a professional, I don’t understand the ins and out of everyday football management. When the likes of professionals like McFadden, Stewart, Naismith and even Halliday tell you that Robbie Neilson is basically the best manager in the league you listen. 

said it numerous times on here we have had a good season this year and a great one last year. 

this interview tells you all you need to know about where we are and where we’re heading! 

intense attacking football with style once we get back on a level playing field which will roughly be within the next 4-6 weeks! 

personally I can’t wait to see RN and his management team take us next level which btw is probably 3rd with a cup and/or European run (likely not 2nd in league) 

we are VERY lucky to have RN in charge of our football club and as Halliday said on Open Goal it’s a minority who think otherwise (majority are on here right enough!!) 

If you disagree with any of this article your clueless and you don’t know football even at fickle fan level. 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-from-last-season-to-this-season-points-prizes-perceptions-and-punters-3917792?amp

We’re lucky to have him.

:rofl:

9 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

I just finished watching that open goal fans forum. It was posted on another thread. 

Was interesting to see when the Hearts supporter opened up on the fact that he doesn't think that Robbie is capable in the bigger games and essentially shites the bed. 

McFadden and halliday, especially, opened him up and went back at him in terms of saying that we are lucky to have Neilson.

They pretty much had him in their pockets where any debate was concerned. Not to the point the supporter was backtracking but he got his just desserts 

Whether your for or against Robbie the panel certainly put forward a very good counter argument in all fairness. 

If u haven't watched it yet the you tube link is posted in another thread. The heart's content opens up about 33 minutes in. Worth a watch and just to see what was said. 

I was cringing for the Hearts supporter. A couple of the other panelists took sly digs at him later, not explicitly but kind of implying he was acting the entitled arsehole.

It also appeared to be the only time across the whole two hours where the whole Open Goal panel basically had no time whatsoever for one of the panelists' argument. Others, like the debate around GVB, they all allowed for points on both sides, but on Neilson they were fairly uniformly rejecting it out of hand.

7 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

We’re lucky to have him.

:rofl:

An awful lot supporters think so, the players definitely do and obviously the heirarchy at the club do.

3 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I was cringing for the Hearts supporter. A couple of the other panelists took sly digs at him later, not explicitly but kind of implying he was acting the entitled arsehole.

It also appeared to be the only time across the whole two hours where the whole Open Goal panel basically had no time whatsoever for one of the panelists' argument. Others, like the debate around GVB, they all allowed for points on both sides, but on Neilson they were fairly uniformly rejecting it out of hand.

It's well known a good few Hearts supporters have a rack full of slip on shoes.

This place has more than it's fair share.

Zero patience, zero tolerance and delusions of grandeur . . . . With the square root of Jack Shit to back it up.

It's always been like that tbf, must be an entitlement handed down by generations.

30 minutes ago, red said:

Great article and thanks for posting. 

i wish jj was my dad
17 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

An awful lot supporters think so, the players definitely do and obviously the heirarchy at the club do.

And a lot of professionals in the game. 

Still, the Robbie Oot mob know better. So we should bow to their superior knowledge.