Have you put the heating on yet?

Greedy Jambo

Just now, Dirk McClaymore said:

Wouldn't be me doing the foisting, champ.

Would you be happy to have it foisted on your children through choice, champ?

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• JudyJudyJudy

• The Real Maroonblood

• Unknown user

il Duce McTarkin
11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Would you be happy to have it foisted on your children through choice, champ?

Of course.

When an independent Scotland agrees (which it will) to take on a proprtional share of the UK debt which was run up while Scotland was part of the UK.

It's a no brainer.

37 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Of course.

When an independent Scotland agrees (which it will) to take on a proprtional share of the UK debt which was run up while Scotland was part of the UK.

It's a no brainer.

Don't see the problem. But what happens if when we do, we find out we've been robbed. Do we continue with said payments.

50 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Of course.

It's a no brainer.

Yet that's the opposite of the established norm and there's no legal or moral obligation 🤷‍♂️ 

Mind you, I don't even have kids, if your want yours saddled with hundreds of billions of Westminster debt, more fool you.

il Duce McTarkin
33 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Yet that's the opposite of the established norm and there's no legal or moral obligation 🤷‍♂️ 

Mind you, I don't even have kids, if your want yours saddled with hundreds of billions of Westminster debt, more fool you.

I doubt they'll be personally liable for hundreds of billions, bud, and like everyone else in every pther cpuntry with a national debt run up by previous generations, they'll cope.

51 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Don't see the problem. But what happens if when we do, we find out we've been robbed. Do we continue with said payments.

This is a thread about putting the the heating on, ri, not Smithee Brae.

12 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

I doubt they'll be personally liable for hundreds of billions, bud, and like everyone else in every pther cpuntry with a national debt run up by previous generations, they'll cope.

This is a thread about putting the the heating on, ri, not Smithee Brae.

Ah I'm with you, who GAF if your kids bring up your grandkids in poorer surroundings due to paying off someone else's debt to bankers. **** 'em.

il Duce McTarkin
25 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Ah I'm with you, who GAF if your kids bring up your grandkids in poorer surroundings due to paying off someone else's debt to bankers. **** 'em.

Correct.

If my kids have any sense, they'll be bankers.

Edited by Dirk McClaymore

Jambof3tornado
10 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Had my heating on for the last month. Not getting into the mindset of being paranoid about it being on . My health and warmth and comfort is more important . 

Not paying rip off prices so yes sleeping bags it is. We are using the heating just a lot less than previous years.

Back at work for the next 4, shop floor currently 22 degs, should thaw out about 9ish...🏖️

Was like stepping off a plane abroad...

I've still not had the heating on.

Not even a wee blast from a plug-in fan heater.

Mattress & duvet shifted into the living room ... gorgeous gal to keep me snuggly warm. Scottish Power can do one. 😆

18 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

I've still not had the heating on.

Not even a wee blast from a plug-in fan heater.

Mattress & duvet shifted into the living room ... gorgeous gal to keep me snuggly warm. Scottish Power can do one. 😆

Me neither, I've been round with draught excluding tape and I've got a massive thick house hoody. I really grudge the percentage of my income they expect me to pay, so I'd rather buy long johns and spend my money elsewhere.

henrysmithsgloves
21 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

And you do the other ......?

45 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I've been putting my heating on without a care.

I may change my mindset when i see next months bill. 

Same 😂

Although I am turning it off during the day as the kids are at school. Don't need it on if it's just me working at home.

1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

A good quality sleeping bag is worth the investment, Spacey.

Anybody know how to claim this Government £400 Winter Heating Allowance/Grant thingy?

Now that its getting a bit nippy I fancy a fortnight in the Algarve come January.

1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

This is why I don't mind having a smart prepayment meter. It might be the most expensive way to do things, but I know exactly how my consumption's going and don't face any surprise bills.

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

8.4 million cant heat their homes, hope the fat cats /greedy shareholders are happy, 

Unfortunately we have a Laissez-faire style Government in power, which means profiteering is now rife. 

On 29/11/2022 at 20:38, heartsfc_fan said:

Same 😂

Although I am turning it off during the day as the kids are at school. Don't need it on if it's just me working at home.

:scenes:Kids at home, heating on all day...get them outside with any shaped ball...🏈🏀

The Old Tolbooth
On 22/11/2022 at 16:53, Dirk McTarkin said:

Of course.

It's a no brainer.

I know it's a bit off topic, but you might want to watch this video that the brilliant Prof Richard Murphy composed. 

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2020/07/30/what-would-scotland-owe-for-becoming-independent-a-video-explanation/

Back on topic, we've hardly had the heating on at all this winter, can it even really be described as a winter yet as it's been so mild? The worst thing is that the price rises don't even affect us until next summer when my 2 year fixed rate ends, so there's no reason for us to hold back or anything, it's just the way it is. 

26 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I know it's a bit off topic, but you might want to watch this video that the brilliant Prof Richard Murphy composed. 

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2020/07/30/what-would-scotland-owe-for-becoming-independent-a-video-explanation/

Back on topic, we've hardly had the heating on at all this winter, can it even really be described as a winter yet as it's been so mild? The worst thing is that the price rises don't even affect us until next summer when my 2 year fixed rate ends, so there's no reason for us to hold back or anything, it's just the way it is. 

You down wind of Mossmorran?  🔥

Car windscreens getting scraped in East Lothian...

Edited by OBE

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, OBE said:

I am actually aye :lol: 

Inside has dropped no lower than 16.7 degrees, which I find is easily acceptable, once it gets below 16 then I'll stick a jumper on ;) 

3 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Back on topic, we've hardly had the heating on at all this winter, can it even really be described as a winter yet as it's been so mild? 

:laugh2: the word you're looking for is Autumn 

3 hours ago, OBE said:

I've not had the heating on yet, but it's in the post 

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

Will it fire up when you call for heat?...:brows:

No heating on yet mob must be on second floors, middle block and south facing...

Spoiler

In Tenerife...:D

25 minutes ago, OBE said:

Will it fire up when you call for heat?...:brows:

No heating on yet mob must be on second floors, middle block and south facing...

Hide contents

In Tenerife...:D

:spoton:

Mon the upper floors!

On 02/12/2022 at 15:41, Smithee said:

Stick in, mate. 

I've just payed the bill for November.

I managed to get it down to £12.14 ... leccy and gas (after the rebate).

This might be me next week. 👇

Screenshot_20221204-201419_Gallery.jpg

On 02/12/2022 at 15:41, Smithee said:

Ding dong, parcel is at the front door...Brrrrrrr☃️

Had mine on every night this week. Set the thermostat to 20 then tuned it down to 19 once the rooms were warm enough.

Minus temperatures forecast the rest of the week during the night.

Cant wait for my bill next month 🙄

Jambof3tornado

15°c in the living room just now. Heating due on for an hour from 5 til 6pm. As it cools I'll dive in the sleeping bag. Incredible. November bill used 1/3 less leccy from last year and less gas,last nov £94, this year £180.....away tae fucj.

Turned our thermostat down from 19.5c to 18.5c. don't really notice much of a difference.

They "say" it's meant to knock 10% or something off your bill 🤷 we'll see.

Trying to keep it off to avoid getting too reliant on it.  It's not hard to see how much poor people will find it unhealthily cold by being unable to afford heating.  It's different when you can stick it on at any time to get the chill off the air.

Howdy Doody Jambo
4 hours ago, postage-stamp said:

Are hot water bottles a bad idea?  Money wise

They are not hot when you buy them, total scam

11 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

It's 11 degrees in here when i wake up in the morning. 

Grim. 

Can remember as a school bairn scraping the ice of the inside of the single pane bedroom window...11 degs is tropical man!

47 minutes ago, OBE said:

Can remember as a school bairn scraping the ice of the inside of the single pane bedroom window...11 degs is tropical man!

The sad thing is, there will probably be a lot of people having to scrape ice of the inside of their windows for the first time in their lives this winter, such is life in the UK in 2022.

highlandjambo3

Ok so I’m going to be a bit different here as I’m doing things completely differently from what appears to be going on.  My heating is on 24/7 and has been since the system was installed about 2 odd years, my current (as I type) hall thermostat is 22 and the house and all rooms are toasty.  My last months gas bill was £120…..in the spring/summer the gas is around £40-£80.  I hardly ever hear my boiler springing into life.  Water heater on time 3 times per day (only if it’s needed)

The logic (and it seems to work) if my house is constantly warm then my heating system only needs to pop on every now and then for a wee top up.  If however I turned the hearing off completely as I’m out most of the day and the house, carpets, furniture, curtains, walls all got cold then when I return home and pop the heating on the boiler needs to work like rocky V’ drago to heat the house back up, you will then panic because of the amount of gas being used to get up to speed, this results in you rationing your energy and your house constantly going from warm to cold to warm etc….🤷‍♂️Septembers gas bill £34…….I must be doing this right.

BE1CA652-2275-4998-80C7-5DE97380609C.jpeg

93EA60BF-B1D0-4C32-99CC-61E84311056C.jpeg

501CCD3B-4810-49CD-8558-28618A0CADA6.jpeg

Edited by highlandjambo3

57 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Ok so I’m going to be a bit different here as I’m doing things completely differently from what appears to be going on.  My heating is on 24/7 and has been since the system was installed about 2 odd years, my current (as I type) hall thermostat is 22 and the house and all rooms are toasty.  My last months gas bill was £120…..in the spring/summer the gas is around £40-£80.  I hardly ever hear my boiler springing into life.  Water heater on time 3 times per day (only if it’s needed)

The logic (and it seems to work) if my house is constantly warm then my heating system only needs to pop on every now and then for a wee top up.  If however I turned the hearing off completely as I’m out most of the day and the house, carpets, furniture, curtains, walls all got cold then when I return home and pop the heating on the boiler needs to work like rocky V’ drago to heat the house back up, you will then panic because of the amount of gas being used to get up to speed, this results in you rationing your energy and your house constantly going from warm to cold to warm etc….🤷‍♂️Septembers gas bill £34…….I must be doing this right.

BE1CA652-2275-4998-80C7-5DE97380609C.jpeg

93EA60BF-B1D0-4C32-99CC-61E84311056C.jpeg

501CCD3B-4810-49CD-8558-28618A0CADA6.jpeg

Mate, surely you don't honestly think that keeping the house nice and toasty all day while you're out is the cheap way to do things.

All I can think is that they're using estimated figures and it's going to catch up with you.

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Mate, surely you don't honestly think that keeping the house nice and toasty all day while you're out is the cheap way to do things.

All I can think is that they're using estimated figures and it's going to catch up with you.

Well I’m not making it up and it’s working for me, my meter readings are not estimates…..they are read every 2-3 months.  My heater comes on a few times a day for about 10-15 minutes each time and the temperature is a constant 22 😁

Heating a house up which is warm V’s heating a house up which is cold which would use the most energy?  Of course the insulation is very good so that will make a difference.

Edited by highlandjambo3

il Duce McTarkin
Just now, highlandjambo3 said:

Well I’m not making it up and it’s working for me, my meter readings are not estimates…..they are read every 2-3 months.  My heater comes on a few times a day for about 10-15 minutes each time and the temperature is a constant 22 😁

Must have a well insulated manor then, bud. 

Must admit, my combi boiler has the house snug after around 15 mins too. It's the washing machine and tumble dryer that are skinning me. Young kids are clarty b***tards.