Have you put the heating on yet?

Greedy Jambo

Jambof3tornado

So what temp is everyone comfortable with? Living room is 17.5°C as we've been out the last few hours. Too late to bother putting heating on at 8pm, but we both seem comfortable at 19°C.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• JudyJudyJudy

• The Real Maroonblood

• Harry Potter

15 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

So what temp is everyone comfortable with? Living room is 17.5°C as we've been out the last few hours. Too late to bother putting heating on at 8pm, but we both seem comfortable at 19°C.

Aye 19 is spot on for me, it's 17.3 in here just now, jumper on lol.

il Duce McTarkin
9 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

one of my happiest memories of childhood...which was mainly crap ...booo hooo... was the coal fire. .  Loved it.

The heat, the glow and just the cosiness of it. Shame they are now effectively banned. 

When I was a mature student my flat in Gorgie had no heating bar a useless gas fire in the lounge and those draughty sash and case windows with the ice on the inside.

I'd regularly head round to the Tynie Arms on a cold night and nurse a 2 or 4  pints through the evening perched by the coal fire.

Couldnae beat it.

17 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Definitely a jumper and joggies night tonight with that breeze

Just off the blower to the Mrs and the heating is going on round at McClaymore Heights this evening. Says it's blowing a gale.

A balmy 22 degrees outside where I am, though.

51 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

20  c 

48 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Definitely a jumper and joggies night tonight with that breeze

im gonna put the heater on . deck it. 

25 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

When I was a mature student my flat in Gorgie had no heating bar a useless gas fire in the lounge and those draughty sash and case windows with the ice on the inside.

I'd regularly head round to the Tynie Arms on a cold night and nurse a 2 or 4  pints through the evening perched by the coal fire.

Couldnae beat it.

Just off the blower to the Mrs and the heating is going on round at McClaymore Heights this evening. Says it's blowing a gale.

A balmy 22 degrees outside where I am, though.

Yes coal fires anywhere are the biz.  Even more of a bonus in a pub.  When I was up in Aviemore last winter we went to a pub which had a great woodburner fire. I almost ran to get the nearest seat near to it ! Oh  i recall those gas fires in Gorgie as we had one in my first house in Dalry. Def heated the living room but the rest of the house was baltic. 

Shanks said no

Put it on last night as our granddaughter was staying. Back off today until October at least.

Traditionally the heating in Edinburgh factories (Ferranti) was put on after being serviced during the September weekend / week.

Aiming to get to the end of October before putting it on. 

Absolute stick on that when back from the school Oct break holiday the missus will want it on. 

Glad i'm still working 20 months left until i retire central heating has just come on in the office today hoooray will help me build up my flexi lol

Coal fires are pish, I had one in my bedroom growing up. A circle of far too hot, and the rest of the room freezing. I thought central heating was amazing when I first got it.

25 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Coal fires are pish, I had one in my bedroom growing up. A circle of far too hot, and the rest of the room freezing. I thought central heating was amazing when I first got it.

BOOOOOOOOOOOO hoooooooooo

although when we finally got central heating it was as you say amazing.  

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Irufushi said:

Been much cooler up in the grim norf last few nights. Holding firm though, not going on yet.

Stay strong.

12 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

BOOOOOOOOOOOO hoooooooooo

although when we finally got central heating it was as you say amazing.  

And you never forget that smell when the wind suddenly turns and blows smoke into the room, ****ing boooo!

20 hours ago, Shanks said no said:

Put it on last night as our granddaughter was staying. Back off today until October at least.

Traditionally the heating in Edinburgh factories (Ferranti) was put on after being serviced during the September weekend / week.

Fair play for committing to having it off for another 5 days. Mark McGhee would be proud.

Might chuck it on for a bit later. Getting down to single figures temperature outside tonight.

House wasn't that warm this morning.

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

Fair play for committing to having it off for another 5 days. Mark McGhee would be proud.

Wife's out so I have put it on, as long as the radiators cool down before she returns I reckon I'll get away with it

Was trying to get to end of September  without putting the heating on but caved today and put it on.

Smart Meter makes grim reading once the central heating goes on.

Mine clicked on earlier. It was cold this morning and I was tempted to put it on but held out.

Still got the hot tub on in the garden and not getting used though 👍

il Duce McTarkin
4 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Still got the hot tub on in the garden and not getting used though 👍

Cost a fair bit to run.

Mine will remain empty until after the turn of the year.

Decent cure for the January blues.

Came back from a winter holiday abroad a few years ago and the central heating had been off for a fortnight. Took about three days to get the house back to a liveable temperature. I think if we ration the heating this winter then the house will likely be impossible to warm up. Happy days ahead.....

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, allyby said:

Just put a heavy cardigan on, bloody freezing here!

Cooler today, living room 17.5°c. Refuse to put heating on as going out in a few hours, dog cuddled in beside me,not sure who is warming who,heating was on for 15 mins this morning to take the chill off the place.

I reckon if we're getting £60 a month for 6 months as long as I dont use more gas than that its all good.

On 25/09/2022 at 19:59, Jambof3tornado said:

Me and my brother used to play ice hockey on the kitchen lino,jamjar lid for puck and 2 of grandas old hickory shafted putters for sticks!!

1 hour ago, Alva-Jambo said:

Had the gas heating on for a week , since the lovely week finished.  Only on 18. 

Haven't had the hearing at all since April, or do, but my living room is stil 18 today.  Hopefully last without it until October.  

21 hours ago, Shanks said no said:

Wife's out so I have put it on, as long as the radiators cool down before she returns I reckon I'll get away with it

Just say your testing it, works for me.

Well as the great Scarlet Ohara said " as god is my witness I'll never be hungry again" same for me with that and add on ill  never be cold again.  Have Experienced both. Never again. 

if I'm feeling cold the heating will be going on.  Had it on for an hour last night. I honestly feel for those who are not able to have that choice. What a country. 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

14 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

My flat is still 21 degrees today without any heating on.

How do you know what temp it is in your house?

Do people like yourself have some sort of room thermometer?

No got a clue what temp it is in my house at the moment but it’s cold. 
Miss my old middle flat as was never cold in there 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, theshed said:

There’s a few Apps you can have that will tell you the room temperature or the old fashioned way a thermometer.

45 minutes ago, theshed said:

My central heating control panel displays the current temperature.

The Real Maroonblood
24 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

i have this temperature device in the living room, showing 20 C , only one at the bottom 

would be 18C, all down would be 26C.

P1010001.JPG

Temperature 24° in living room.

No heating on.

I blame the neighbour in the flat below me.😄

Jeffros Furios
2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

i have this temperature device in the living room, showing 20 C , only one at the bottom 

P1010001.JPG

That wallpaper is really shite to scrape .

2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

P1010001.JPG

I like the wee girl watering the monkeys.

William H. Bonney
41 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

That wallpaper is really shite to scrape .

That's not wallpaper.  There's a poster of Sam fox above his thermometer.