Have you put the heating on yet?

Greedy Jambo

highlandjambo3
2 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Must have a well insulated manor then, bud. 

Must admit, my combi boiler has the house snug after around 15 mins too. It's the washing machine and tumble dryer that are skinning me. Young kids are clarty b***tards. 

Yes….just to add it’s a fairly big house which would take ages to heat up if I turned everything off.

On the children front you should consider investing in one of these, can generate energy and run a washing machine:

6AA02C26-BB21-408E-9E51-2F9E858FD519.jpeg

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• JudyJudyJudy

• Unknown user

• Harry Potter

il Duce McTarkin
25 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

On the children front you should consider investing in one of these, can generate energy and run a washing machine:

6AA02C26-BB21-408E-9E51-2F9E858FD519.jpeg

Wouldn't generate enough power to charge the cattle prod that I'd need to get the wee ^^^^s on it. 

highlandjambo3
4 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Wouldn't generate enough power to charge the cattle prod that I'd need to get the wee ^^^^s on it. 

Ah dam….scuppered at the last hurdle 

I’m fairly certain the myth that keeping your hearing on is cheaper has been thoroughly debunked.

Mines is now on 6.30am til 8am and then 5pm til 7.30pm, set at 18.5 degrees. Never really dips below 16.5 during the down time. 

11 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Well I’m not making it up and it’s working for me, my meter readings are not estimates…..they are read every 2-3 months.  My heater comes on a few times a day for about 10-15 minutes each time and the temperature is a constant 22 😁

Heating a house up which is warm V’s heating a house up which is cold which would use the most energy?  Of course the insulation is very good so that will make a difference.

I've read a wee bit about it now, it is possible for it to work that way right enough, if you've got a particularly well insulated house.

Well bugger me sideways, live and learn!

15 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Well I’m not making it up and it’s working for me, my meter readings are not estimates…..they are read every 2-3 months.  My heater comes on a few times a day for about 10-15 minutes each time and the temperature is a constant 22 😁

Heating a house up which is warm V’s heating a house up which is cold which would use the most energy?  Of course the insulation is very good so that will make a difference.

While not disputing your bills I doubt your hearing only comes on 2 or 3 times a day to keep it at 22 degrees. We run ours the same, madness to let your house get cold but it kicks in fairly regularly. I also think ours is fairly well insulated with the thermostat sitting at an average heated part of the house. Maybe you keep yours in the tumble dryer ? 😂

highlandjambo3
4 hours ago, Smithee said:

I've read a wee bit about it now, it is possible for it to work that way right enough, if you've got a particularly well insulated house.

Well bugger me sideways, live and learn!

Nah……I’ve been told I’m making it up by well informed JKB ers😁.

I’m up doing breakfasts just now minus 6 outside, toasty inside, I’ll let you know what my December gas bill is.

highlandjambo3
44 minutes ago, Dazo said:

While not disputing your bills I doubt your hearing only comes on 2 or 3 times a day to keep it at 22 degrees. We run ours the same, madness to let your house get cold but it kicks in fairly regularly. I also think ours is fairly well insulated with the thermostat sitting at an average heated part of the house. Maybe you keep yours in the tumble dryer ? 😂

My system boiler is in a utility room (no door) next to our sitting room, I can see/hear it when I’m sitting watching TV………it comes on a few times a day for 10 or so minutes.

• 1 month later...

It's a shame they did away with £1 note as it would likely be cheaper burning them to heat the house than to switch the heating on. 

3 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

It's a shame they did away with £1 note as it would likely be cheaper burning them to heat the house than to switch the heating on. 

I've actually got a couple of crisp £1 notes tucked away, hoping they'll be worth something at some point. 

henrysmithsgloves
4 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I've actually got a couple of crisp £1 notes tucked away, hoping they'll be worth something at some point. 

£2🤔👍😁

Hannibal Lecter
1 minute ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Offers over 2 grand only, thank you very much. 

That should just about cover a weeks heating cost at the moment,.

Stuart McNeill

The system that is in place in our house is horrendously bad. 

It's a hive and im not sure how it works. It's meant to be on a timer, sometimes it doesn't bother turning on at the scheduled time, other times it turns off early or doesn't bother turning off at all. 

11 hours ago, Stuart McNeill said:

The system that is in place in our house is horrendously bad. 

It's a hive and im not sure how it works. It's meant to be on a timer, sometimes it doesn't bother turning on at the scheduled time, other times it turns off early or doesn't bother turning off at all. 

You need to check what temperature you have it set at. It will turn off/won’t come on if the house is already at the set temperature regardless of timer. 

12 hours ago, Morgan said:

No heating required here.  👍

Warm as a wee pie at 23.25h.

Magic!

Give us a shout when you have the air-con eating into your finances, 🥵 we'll be sitting here at ambient with nothing on but the fridge...😜...and maybe the Philips PD...🍺

58 minutes ago, OBE said:

Give us a shout when you have the air-con eating into your finances, 🥵 we'll be sitting here at ambient with nothing on but the fridge...😜...and maybe the Philips PD...🍺

😂 Every cloud. 

• 8 months later...
On 18/09/2022 at 19:27, Greedy Jambo said:

It's getting a wee bit nippy, ken. 

It seems that global warming has given us an extra month of heat.

The Real Maroonblood
35 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

It seems that global warming has given us an extra month of heat.

Too early yet.

Usually December but how the weather can change. 

9 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Too early yet.

Usually December but how the weather can change. 

The temperature has definitely dropped over the past few days, but yeah, I'm fighting the urge to put the heating on.

Malinga the Swinga

Wife stuck it on for 30 minutes in morning and same at night. Takes edge of cold I guess but no need for anything long term at the moment 

No, I have a new build built in 2007 so before the banks crisis made all newbuilds rubbish. Heating goes on at start of December and off at end of March.

I put it on in July. 

I walked around the scaffolding this morning and the cold hit me, then it rained and made it worse. 🥶

We're all electric here (no mains gas ), and after a few power cuts last winter, decided to invest in a wood burner for the living room - the tall cyclinder kind.  Had it installed 2 weeks ago, after a long wait due to high demand from Baltic countries who are giving subsidies to persuade folk to install modern efficient ones.  Main manufacturers are in Germany apparently. 

Started using it a couple of days ago when the inside temp dropped to 18 degrees.

The installer guy said it'll pay for itself in under 2 years.  Aye, right.    When the outside temp is really low, I'd guess  we'll need 2 full burns per day (approx £7 of fuel).  Right now, we're just doing 1 full burn starting mid-afternoon (approx £3 of fuel). Room still warm at midnight.

Anyone else had a surprise REDUCTION in their energy supplier D/D recently ?  Scottish Power reduced mine by £50 !!        I suspect it was in response to the Westminster Select Committee looking at just how much customer credit the companies were hanging on to.  Over £8bn apparently.   Bar stewards.

Edited by Lone Striker

20C on my Hive device so heating on this  morning, be on tonight as well, got to spend my cash on something, dont smoke or drink.

Or waste it on over priced electric cars, lol.

15 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

20C on my Hive device so heating on this  morning, be on tonight as well, got to spend my cash on something, dont smoke or drink.

Or waste it on over priced electric cars, lol.

You don't smoke OR drink!? you must be rolling in it, what do you do when you get bored?

7 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

You don't smoke OR drink!? you must be rolling in it, what do you do when you get bored?

Im never bored 😃, just sit back and appreciate my good life.

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

Im never bored 😃, just sit back and appreciate my good life.

Oh, c'mon, i'm not having that. 

You must have some amazing hobbies then. 

4 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Oh, c'mon, i'm not having that. 

You must have some amazing hobbies then. 

Put it this way, i have been at some real low points, fought my way forward and living a good life now, this has to be never taken for granted, one day i will tell all , maybe.

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

Put it this way, i have been at some real low points, fought my way forward and living a good life now, this has to be never taken for granted, one day i will tell all , maybe.

Well

said . Alcohol is overrated . Good on you !

Heating is on due to medical reasons as I get the cold easily . Now swapped my summer quilt for the winter one . 

3 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

No worries mate, you still need to recommend me some hobbies though, i'm bored all the fecking time.  

Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

Well

said . Alcohol is overrated . Good on you !

Wed 22nd of January 2020, was my last drink.

Dont really miss it, only time after a hearts win , i would have liked a glass, but i dont,

19 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

No worries mate, you still need to recommend me some hobbies though, i'm bored all the fecking time.  

I love music, lots on You Tube, i also spend time on my car , but its now quite old , so maybe

change it soon, might  get in to model railways again, expensive now , but big rewards ,

to you read , im more in to factual reading , not fiction, love keeping the house tidy and the front and back garden, replaced my back spot light at a cost of 12 pounds  .

Edited by Harry Potter

highlandjambo3

My heating is on 24/7 365 days a year…..thermostat set at 21 - 22, house stays warm all the time……temperature gets hot the heating switches off……..temperature gets cold the heating switches on…..simple 🤷‍♂️

16 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

I love music, lots on You Tube, i also spend time on my car , but its now quite old , so maybe

change it soon, might  get in to model railways again, expensive now , but big rewards ,

to you read , im more in to factual reading , not fiction, love keeping the house tidy and the front and back garden, replaced my back spot light at a cost of 12 pounds  .

Cool, what kind of car have you got?

I've been considering getting something fast again, a total petrol guzzler, before we all have to change to electric. 

The Real Maroonblood
5 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Wife stuck it on for 30 minutes in morning and same at night. Takes edge of cold I guess but no need for anything long term at the moment 

👍

44 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Wed 22nd of January 2020, was my last drink.

Dont really miss it, only time after a hearts win , i would have liked a glass, but i dont,

I usually just go out once per week or every 2nd week . 

Jambof3tornado

Was set for 10 minutes 3 times a day 2 weeks ago......go up this morning and the living room was chilly so it went on for 30 minutes to get room up to 21°c.

Living right next to woodland I'd love a fancy burner but nowhere to really fit it unfortunately.

5 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Was set for 10 minutes 3 times a day 2 weeks ago......go up this morning and the living room was chilly so it went on for 30 minutes to get room up to 21°c.

Living right next to woodland I'd love a fancy burner but nowhere to really fit it unfortunately.

You're talking me into treating myself to a wee burst tonight haha, it's 15.2 degrees in here just now. 

There's a few houses round here that now have massive black tubes going up their outside wall, not sure what that is, oil burning heating?

20 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Cool, what kind of car have you got?

I've been considering getting something fast again, a total petrol guzzler, before we all have to change to electric. 

Mondeo mk 3 bud,  125 bhp , its good condition , every part works, minus heated windscreen, replaced 3 years ago, looking at a fiesta, 2020 plate, be my last car, will be cheaper   insurance/tax

My gas/elect is at 5 pounds the now , not bad as the heating got a blast today.

Electric, not for me, price would need to come down and more chargers needed, handy for coasting  

round town with a home charger but these home chargers have to comply with certain regulations.

Certainly a problem for flat owners.

7 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Mondeo mk 3 bud,  125 bhp , its good condition , every part works, minus heated windscreen, replaced 3 years ago, looking at a fiesta, 2020 plate, be my last car, will be cheaper   insurance/tax

My gas/elect is at 5 pounds the now , not bad as the heating got a blast today.

Electric, not for me, price would need to come down and more chargers needed, handy for coasting  

round town with a home charger but these home chargers have to comply with certain regulations.

Certainly a problem for flat owners.

cool, I'm not trying to be a knob, but 125hp for a mondeo seems very low. 

I had a couple of small Peugeot 206 gti that were 180bhp. 

I've had a fiesta, I would steer clear of them, totally inferior to a focus. 

1 minute ago, Greedy Jambo said:

cool, I'm not trying to be a knob, but 125hp for a mondeo seems very low. 

I had a couple of small Peugeot 206 gti that were 180bhp. 

I've had a fiesta, I would steer clear of them, totally inferior to a focus. 

Still thinking bud, as i work in the garage , get feedback from some fiesta drivers, best advice not media made up tripe lol, do you golf, great on a dry day , i play Carrick-Knowe.

the later mondeo will be more, but 70 mph is fast enough on the motorway😏

3 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Still thinking bud, as i work in the garage , get feedback from some fiesta drivers, best advice not media made up tripe lol, do you golf, great on a dry day , i play Carrick-Knowe.

the later mondeo will be more, but 70 mph is fast enough on the motorway😏

I'm just going from my own experience, i like the older fiesta St, but i'm not sure i would buy one, I had a basic fiesta 2005, it's night and day comfort wise compared to the focus i have now, it's like they use lego suspension on fiestas. 

Nah, i don't golf anymore, mate, sold my clubs, but it's something i've been thinking about getting back into. 

1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

You're talking me into treating myself to a wee burst tonight haha, it's 15.2 degrees in here just now. 

There's a few houses round here that now have massive black tubes going up their outside wall, not sure what that is, oil burning heating?

15 degrees ?   Bloody hell.   Either put 3 fleeces on or get the heating on, man !! 😜

Regarding the big black tubes going up  outside walls, that'll be the chimneys  for wood or multi-fuel stoves in homes  where there's no roof to drill through (or where the residents just prefer the chimney to go through a wall instead of the roof).

Its 22.3 in here just now, having been 18.1 three hours ago, thanks to the wood burner.     Nice  

:smugger: