Have you put the heating on yet?

Greedy Jambo

8 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Had the heating on some nights but didnt last night.

Changed the duvet to the  " winter" duvet but felt boiling last night. Cant win,

The Inside of your hoose has seasons?

Edited by OBE

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• JudyJudyJudy

• The Real Maroonblood

• Unknown user

Had to put it on tonight.  Noticed a lot more folk at work now coming back to the office now too rather than work from home in the cold 

Reminds me that I really must chastise the elderly couple downstairs, this year, for rather selfishly turning off their/my heating at 10.30pm each night over the winter.

Absolutely toastie up until then.

Jambof3tornado
36 minutes ago, Jingle Bells said:

Reminds me that I really must chastise the elderly couple downstairs, this year, for rather selfishly turning off their/my heating at 10.30pm each night over the winter.

Junior enjoying similar perks in his upper flat!!

23 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Junior enjoying similar perks in his upper flat!!

Absolutely sweltering in my string-vest and underpants combo tonight, Tornado

Glad to hear the Lad has landed on his feet too!

Doctor FinnBarr

Bought one of those whooppee doo electric blankets for the static caravan (heat either side jobs). Followed instructions on Friday, turn onto 3 for 15 minutes before retiring then adjust to suit. All was well until I fell asleep in the chair. By the time I woke you could have fried bacon on it, needed another half hour in the chair to allow it to cool.

Jambof3tornado
6 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Bought one of those whooppee doo electric blankets for the static caravan (heat either side jobs). Followed instructions on Friday, turn onto 3 for 15 minutes before retiring then adjust to suit. All was well until I fell asleep in the chair. By the time I woke you could have fried bacon on it, needed another half hour in the chair to allow it to cool.

Lol

Dick Dastardly

I've only had the heating on briefly in the mornings but the couch duvet has come out of hiding and the big Eskimo boot slippers are ready for use

Dick Dastardly
On 17/10/2022 at 22:37, Jingle Bells said:

My downstairs neighbour has stopped working nights. Absolute bonus

Malinga the Swinga

Still way too mild for heating. Get up, wash, get dressed and into office for shower and work.

Gym after work, good workout and shower afterwards and still warm enough when I get home.

If your working from home, wrap up well and get out for walk in early evening and that warms you up nicely.

Sitting in house all day fretting about being cold only going to depress you and make you feel colder.

It’ll be interesting to see how much (national) domestic energy consumption goes down over the winter.

It’s a tough lesson (and maybe a deadly one) but in some ways it might be the kick up the a**e we needed.

11 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

My downstairs neighbour has stopped working nights. Absolute bonus

Nice one, Dastardly.

Tell them to be less inconsiderate in future.

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, Jingle Bells said:

Nice one, Dastardly.

Tell them to be less inconsiderate in future.

She likes her heating on high 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

17 deg's, windows open, Son, burnt his toast, bluebottles buzzing & battering their heids of the patio doors...Bulb, aint getting £3.80 from me today...:rudiyas:

Edited by OBE

On 24/10/2022 at 10:36, FWJ said:

It’ll be interesting to see how much (national) domestic energy consumption goes down over the winter.

It’s a tough lesson (and maybe a deadly one) but in some ways it might be the kick up the a**e we needed.

What's a few dead grannies if it means we meet some daft green target eh.

On 24/10/2022 at 01:46, FinnBarr Saunders said:

get a smart plug and setup a program that you can switch it on for only 15 minutes

Doctor FinnBarr
7 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

get a smart plug and setup a program that you can switch it on for only 15 minutes

Thinking about Hive or the likes just to put a bit of heat in the van from afar. Might be handy when the really bad weather comes.

30 minutes ago, briever said:

What's a few dead grannies if it means we meet some daft green target eh.

If the green targets deliver their intention...then actually not very much in the grand scheme of things.

• 4 weeks later...
Jambof3tornado

The wife and I had the sleeping bags on watching the telly last night.

We can afford the heating to be on but are choosing not to, but I'd hate to be in a position of not being able to afford to sit in a warm comfy front room at night!

We do have the heating on sometimes but a lot less than previous years!!

Dick Dastardly
24 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

We can afford the heating to be on but are choosing not to, but I'd hate to be in a position of not being able to afford to sit in a warm comfy front room at night!

I sit on the couch with a duvet over me. Lovely and cosy. 

Jambof3tornado
8 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Mummy style sleeping bag is where its at,had them in the cupboard from juniors camping days. Zip yourself in and its toasty central!!! The heating is going on but when it gets to 20°c its off. 

The new air fryer.....game changer. Fish and chips in it last night,cooked in the time it would have taken the cooker oven to preheat!!!

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Mummy style sleeping bag is where its at,had them in the cupboard from juniors camping days. Zip yourself in and its toasty central!!! The heating is going on but when it gets to 20°c its off. 

The new air fryer.....game changer. Fish and chips in it last night,cooked in the time it would have taken the cooker oven to preheat!!!

Na, prefer a duvet myself. Leaves the hands free to munch on crisps

Jambof3tornado
4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Na, prefer a duvet myself. Leaves the hands free to munch on crisps

Aye,dont want crumbs in my sleeping bag!!

Rip off big time today, shareholders rubbing their hands, what a farce, feel sorry for low income families.

my wife and i are lucky, if Nicola could work some low priced energy i might consider a vote.

31 minutes ago, Pap said:

Just got a new boiler and radiators. New windows incoming :sweeet:

Hope you don’t mind me asking but what’s the going rate nowadays for new windows?

I know everyone will be different as some in a flat and not a house but does anyone know roughly how much a full house would cost to replace?

36 minutes ago, theshed said:

Hope you don’t mind me asking but what’s the going rate nowadays for new windows?

I know everyone will be different as some in a flat and not a house but does anyone know roughly how much a full house would cost to replace?

I was quoted £5,300 plus VAT in August last year. That was for 8 windows.

41 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I was quoted £5,300 plus VAT in August last year. That was for 8 windows.

My oldest daughter was quoted upto £1000 per window and she has 18 windows.

Of course there is a story here.

She lives in an old historic property, over 250 years old, that's just the current building as the foundations are way older than that, anyway there is only two companies licenced by Historic Scotland to carry out the work and of course it's all at a premium.  She has managed to get 10 done so far and is getting another two done in January.  Last year the place was freezing as the windows were all still the old single pained glass.  

It was a fixer upper in dire need of a very lot of TLC and money, it was the only way that she could have afforded such a place.

Have you ever seen the film called 'The money pit' well it's a bit like that, however when they have done all the work it'll be worth a fortune, an absolute mint, mind they will have spent a lot on it.

Scraped ice off the car windows this morning. Was baltic. Heating on earlier. Was thinking about the gas bill the whole time though. Never done that before. 

6 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Scraped ice off the car windows this morning. Was baltic. Heating on earlier. Was thinking about the gas bill the whole time though. Never done that before. 

i was over 9 pounds yesterday, joke, obsessed wi the wee meter now, and we earn decent money, ragin.

Folk are losing houses now , country is in a mess.

Mine hasn't been on yet. I want to give these ****ers less, not more, and if that means long johns and house coats then I'm wearing long johns and house coats.

For now anyway!

9 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

I was scraping the ice off my pillows.

On 20/11/2022 at 08:52, Jambof3tornado said:

Really ? 

On 20/11/2022 at 09:18, Dick Dastardly said:

Really ? 

Had my heating on for the last month. Not getting into the mindset of being paranoid about it being on . My health and warmth and comfort is more important . 

il Duce McTarkin

Had it on periodically since I got back from Brazil a few weeks ago. Can't have the bairns going cold. I grew up in a high-rise flat where the damp and mould was holding the walls up, and suffered years of childhood bronchitus and subsequently asthma as a consequence. **** foisting that on the next generation. 

Dick Dastardly
31 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Really ? 

Really ? 

Oh yeah. Feet up on the pouffe, dog curled up beside me. Duvet pulled up to my chin. Class

7 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Had it on periodically since I got back from Brazil a few weeks ago. Can't have the bairns going cold. I grew up in a high-rise flat where the damp and mould was holding the walls up, and suffered years of childhood bronchitus and subsequently asthma as a consequence. **** foisting that on the next generation. 

Well that’s brought back memories for me of frozen windows , no heating in the mornings when I was a kid . No thanks . Ditto food . Plus I’ve got health condition so need to keep warm . I’ll worry about bills as and when I need to . 

4 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Oh yeah. Feet up on the pouffe, dog curled up beside me. Duvet pulled up to my chin. Class

There’s a joke in there some where but my saying nowt ! 

6DFDB95B-F32F-4E6A-9B27-08E78E693C5C.jpeg

2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Had my heating on for the last month. Not getting into the mindset of being paranoid about it being on . My health and warmth and comfort is more important . 

Same here, I have a heart condition and heart problems and the cold are not a good mix, besides we managed to build up a large buffer (credit wise) during the summer for the sole purpose that we can put the heating on as and when we want to, without having to overly worry about the cost, we made the sacrifices months ago so as to reap the benefits now.  Can't go mad still need to go canny, but we've never been big users of energy anyway.

17 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Same here, I have a heart condition and heart problems and the cold are not a good mix, besides we managed to build up a large buffer (credit wise) during the summer for the sole purpose that we can put the heating on as and when we want to, without having to overly worry about the cost, we made the sacrifices months ago so as to reap the benefits now.  Can't go mad still need to go canny, but we've never been big users of energy anyway.

Yes life’s too short to feel the cold ! I’ll economise in other areas if I need be . Also only have radiators on the rooms I’m in at that time . So mainly just living room . 

4 hours ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Would you foist hundreds of billions of westminster debt on them, post independence?

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Would you foist hundreds of billions of westminster debt on them, post independence?

Wouldn't be me doing the foisting, champ.