***Official Hearts - Motherwell Thread****

Lovecraft

I’ve been a critic of Neilson however if we’d lost the last 2 we’d be bottom 6 and more or less out of Europe, no clean sheets all season and struggled to score, last two

games scored 5 conceded 0, time for the break and were in a good position, well done Hearts 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Don Dan

• neilnunb

• iantjambo

• Gizmo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jambo in Bathgate

We have been away in Europe won there then back home to a difficult game. This is what Rangers and That Irish Team (TIT) do every season. We are on a learning curve and so far are passing the test? Motherwell thought they could steamroll us. We soaked up pressure and scored 3 without reply. Back up to third. Well done Hearts. 

Edited by Jambo in Bathgate
Addition

Only real complaint is that our ball retention was poor most of the time, even when we did string some passes together it looked hard work.

That said, credit has to go to Motherwell for closing us down quickly all over the pitch.

Van Veen is a good player, kind of like Boyce in that he is intelligent and good at holding the ball up, but can also move with the ball at feet.

Even though we have won the last 2 games, the break is coming at a good time for us. Hopefully get most of the squad fit by the end of it and we will be even stronger.  3rd in the League and 2nd in Europe we have to be happy with that

1 hour ago, pharmaceutical01 said:

Celtic and West Ham both lost today after playing midweek. That's a great result for us today

The seethe from the usual media suspects is fantastic.

I mean yeah they did come at us - but when you have stuffed 3 goals up them, it's gonna get a reaction. We don't turn up with the advantage the old firm at these grounds, yet we won. 

This is a marker for the season imo and will have sickened Hibs after they won against Aberdeen thanks to Portaloo's cheating. :laugh:

3 minutes ago, jambo_74 said:

Was Cochrane taken off as a precautionary measure, or is he another long term absentee?

Sounds like he should be fine, along with Gordon and Kingsley 👍

3 minutes ago, jambo_74 said:

Was Cochrane taken off as a precautionary measure, or is he another long term absentee?

He was holding one side of his midriff. Not sure if it’s some sort of strain or a contact injury as stream was sketchy  

2 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Sounds like he should be fine, along with Gordon and Kingsley 👍

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

He was holding one side of his midriff. Not sure if it’s some sort of strain or a contact injury as stream was sketchy  

Cheers guys

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

He landed on his side. Could be anything from bruising to a cracked rib. Hopefully the first one! 

Dick Dastardly

A brilliant result. I missed loads of the game with the stream constantly shutting down but we did look quite disjointed upfront, at times. Would be over the moon if we could play ugly and win every week though. 

Dick Dastardly
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

He got a knee in his side when the motherwell player jumped into him

Big_Hearts_Runner

Tough place to go, we lost both time there last season so great result.
Well done to the team on the back of a long trip in Europe!

Kalamazoo Jambo
7 minutes ago, jambo_74 said:

Robbie said it was just a knock and he’ll be fine.

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Looked like a contact injury 

12 minutes ago, Kirky Jambo said:

Only real complaint is that our ball retention was poor most of the time, even when we did string some passes together it looked hard work.

That said, credit has to go to Motherwell for closing us down quickly all over the pitch.

Van Veen is a good player, kind of like Boyce in that he is intelligent and good at holding the ball up, but can also move with the ball at feet.

Excellent point 

Our ball retention was horrendous today and it has been in general making  it much harder to see games out and relying on riding our luck at times. 

If we want to be a really good side this is an area that needs serious work on.

Still , a fantastic week for us and  app credit goes  to the players and coaches.

1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I can never understand our own supported wanting us to lose . They are not genuine supporters in my book . 

They are genuine supporters though….just not genuine supporters of our club

Brilliant result at somewhere we have struggled at and Mothercare a decent team. Van Veen is a good player.  

How did Neilson get on? Think he is a real find.

11 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Excellent point 

Our ball retention was horrendous today and it has been in general making  it much harder to see games out and relying on riding our luck at times. 

If we want to be a really good side this is an area that needs serious work on.

Still , a fantastic week for us and  app credit goes  to the players and coaches.

It’s something that could come back to Robbie(in time) if we keep improving the player standard but we don’t improve our general pattern of play with that.  We’ve been there before, albeit intermittently, when we seemingly have a very good squad but something doesn’t click on the park. ( just an observation before anyone comes to savage me!)

That aside, we showed a good old fashioned Hearts trait today by still finding a way to win. Digging in, not panicking, maybe a bit luck, but still finding the goals.  That comes from standard of player in those types of games.  The shape can go but if the players keep their heads, you can pick teams off when the chance arises.  

Edited by Debut 4

I didn’t catch the game at all but one thing for me that can’t be underestimated is that we played away (and won) in Europe and then flew back into Edinburgh on Friday and won 3-0 away from home ……it doesn’t really matter how well we play if we are scoring 5 goals and conceding 0

i love that Shankland is scoring for fun and also love how we have brought in players like Kio and Snodgrass….not to mention Benni is still out 

HeartsandonlyHearts
45 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

JKB is notable by those who are not posting after a great few days rather than those who are commenting 

Posting negatively after 2 good wins is not easy. You can’t be overly obvious.

Better just to wait. Hopefully they’re waiting a long time.

3 minutes ago, ShedBoy said:

looked like a deid leg

Knee into his side Neilson said he will be fine same as Gordon. Think Gordon landed on his knee when punching clear. He was limping then pulled of a top drawer save!

1 minute ago, salvo69 said:

I didn’t catch the game at all but one thing for me that can’t be underestimated is that we played away (and won) in Europe and then flew back into Edinburgh on Friday and won 3-0 away from home ……it doesn’t really matter how well we play if we are scoring 5 goals and conceding 0

i love that Shankland is scoring for fun and also love how we have brought in players like Kio and Snodgrass….not to mention Benni is still out 

For me it was all about winning today. Stretched second half for a spell but we rode our luck and ground it out. I’ll take that all day long. Not often we go and win 3-0 away from home anywhere in this league so it’s a top result going into the break. 

2 minutes ago, salvo69 said:

Correct.  Imagine if it was Hibs or Aberdeen. There’d be a five page pull out in the Record tomorrow. 

9 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

For me it was all about winning today. Stretched second half for a spell but we rode our luck and ground it out. I’ll take that all day long. Not often we go and win 3-0 away from home anywhere in this league so it’s a top result going into the break. 

In a nutshell.  

33 minutes ago, hmfc_steve said:

Watched game from Turkey .. thought we were brilliant.. even the Turkish waiters now know the Hearts song !

Well done Steve,👍 spread the word.😄

22 minutes ago, Borders Jambo said:

Brilliant result at somewhere we have struggled at and Mothercare a decent team. Van Veen is a good player.  

How did Neilson get on? Think he is a real find.

They do have a lot of talented youngsters

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Big day for us today, the ones that build character belief team spirit and the desire to be better no matter how tired.

Lots of gushing on Thursday, I reckon much more appropriate today. 

Very well done Hearts, proper result under pressure 

34 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

He got a knee in his side when the motherwell player jumped into him

Exactly that.  Did well to continue and not come off right away although clearly hurting.  

We had a similar game in terms of stats vs them at home last season and I don't remember many people or pundits saying it was a bad performance?

image.thumb.png.add52f0d705edb0f62f2829aab6021eb.png

Dick Dastardly
21 minutes ago, DesertDawg said:

Exactly that.  Did well to continue and not come off right away although clearly hurting.  

He's a tough lad

2 hours ago, Fort Vallance said:

BBC headline. Hearts beat dominant Motherwell. WTF ? I'd settle for being dominated like that every week.

They battered us second half. Think they had about 25 or more attempts at goal in the game, hit the woodwork 3/4 times, had a couple of shocking misses. We defended well, too, our chances well, certainly rode our luck at times. 

been here before
2 hours ago, Fort Vallance said:

BBC headline. Hearts beat dominant Motherwell. WTF ? I'd settle for being dominated like that every week.

Not at the game then?

Pinned us back most of the 2nd half. Looked like 2 or 3 off the woidwork, Gordon denied them a couple of times. A goal ruled out for offside.

They dominated the 2nd half at least.

Makes the win even better, these are the games we need to be grinding out and winning.

Brighton Jambo

Just watching the highlights, said as an introduction we haven’t won there since 2018, also said Motherwell have only lost one of last 5 games.  Difficult away game following a tough Euro trip as well. 

Some of the comments from our ‘fans’ on here before the game expecting us to just rock up and win are so divorced from the actual realities it’s ridiculous.  

I don’t remember this element of our support being so prominent at any time over the last 20 years.  Don’t know where it’s come from but wish it would @@@@ off.  

Well that’s how to grind out a result, certainly the result flatters us, but how many times have we been on the other side of a result like that, sign of a good team to convert so few chances, really like us going forward, when our defence is sorted we are going to tear a few teams a new one.

Today's win was a nice reminder of the 80's/90's through there.

Motherwell 0/1 Hearts 3 was commonplace back then. 

During the 17 and 22 without defeat v. Hibs we did similar v. Motherwell. 

Plucky wee Hibs got slightly more draws, iirc. 😁 

22 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Just watching the highlights, said as an introduction we haven’t won there since 2018, also said Motherwell have only lost one of last 5 games.  Difficult away game following a tough Euro trip as well. 

Some of the comments from our ‘fans’ on here before the game expecting us to just rock up and win are so divorced from the actual realities it’s ridiculous.  

I don’t remember this element of our support being so prominent at any time over the last 20 years.  Don’t know where it’s come from but wish it would @@@@ off.  

Put's today's result into perspective. Great 3 points against a good team at a difficult venue.

2 superb team goals in the 2nd half - cut Motherwell apart easily. V pleasing to see.

Shankland looks like he’s carrying a bit of weight - not sure if this is muscle or fat, but his involvement in both goals was top class.

39 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

They battered us second half. Think they had about 25 or more attempts at goal in the game, hit the woodwork 3/4 times, had a couple of shocking misses. We defended well, too, our chances well, certainly rode our luck at times. 

Still pumped them 😁