***Official FC Zurich v Heart of Midlothian ko 18:00 - Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

1 minute ago, Hearts1975 said:

Levein is talking shite .... Again. 

Not proportioning blame but it was nothing to do with the team taking fright 

Atkinson misjudges the flight of the ball, boy gets in behind and scores. Second one should have cleared the ball. He scored the penalty so won't slaughter him but it was defensive errors that cost us the 2 goals, nothing else 

Probably why he was hooked at half time 

Not disputing that individual errors cost us but the point is as soon as we scored they started creating chances. I do feel we retreated after the goal - possibly not a tactical thing but more of a natural reaction. I just feel that Zurich team are not nearly as good as some are making out and with a bit more belief we might have been in a better position. Still well in the tie though and plenty of hope for next week.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pettigrewsstylist

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Naisys Tackle

• neilnunb

pettigrewsstylist
3 minutes ago, stirlo said:

TBF Levein admitted he got the tactics wrong that night. But the point is I agree with his analysis - we basically went into our shell after the goal. Possibly not a tactical thing but perhaps more a lack of belief amongst the players.

I think we need to be honest. We got a penalty we may not have got 5 time out of 10. They werent happy and dropped a gear which caused us to stretch, panic and fall apart.

They then calmed down a wee bit but CG kept us in this.

Just now, ramrod said:

YOU'RE ya ****** 🤣

Aye, We're getting beat 2-1 and it's still 50-50.  Home advantage or not were still facing a uphill challenge.

3 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Levein is talking shite .... Again. 

Not proportioning blame but it was nothing to do with the team taking fright 

Atkinson misjudges the flight of the ball, boy gets in behind and scores. Second one should have cleared the ball. He scored the penalty so won't slaughter him but it was defensive errors that cost us the 2 goals, nothing else 

Probably why he was hooked at half time 

We were far too deep after the goal. Your analysis is spot on about both their goals but the fact we got away with only conceding two was a mix of luck, Craig Gordon and awful finishing. 

Let’s hope we’ve learned and get it right next week. 

2 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Haring has always been slow. In the first half he was both slow and making terrible decisions.

He looked clumsy, sure he fell over a few of there players instead of staying on his feet.

MarkDevriesScores4

Glass half full, reckon they’re very beatable at tynecastle.

i was frustrated that when we scored, we immediately seemed to drop back. If we had gone for a quick second, they looked rattled and we could have done damage.

saying that, they are a quality side and we showed we’re no mugs. Looking forward to the return leg in a packed tynecastle park. Very much still in the tie

HHGH

Fantastic we are still in the tie. Some questions need to be asked about RN and his initial team selection. Atkinson is struggling just now and should be no where near the starting 11. We looked so much better after half time…. why didn’t Smith start?

Just now, McCrae said:

Fantastic we are still in the tie. Some questions need to be asked about RN and his initial team selection. Atkinson is struggling just now and should be no where near the starting 11. We looked so much better after half time…. why didn’t Smith start?

Nielson doesn't think he can play back to back games

5 minutes ago, stirlo said:

Not disputing that individual errors cost us but the point is as soon as we scored they started creating chances. I do feel we retreated after the goal - possibly not a tactical thing but more of a natural reaction. I just feel that Zurich team are not nearly as good as some are making out and with a bit more belief we might have been in a better position. Still well in the tie though and plenty of hope for next week.

I think second half we committed more bodies up front and pressed from the backline much better than the first half 

Yes, first half we sat too deep at times for my liking but on reflection halkett going off early caused some jitters. 

I agree with u on the Zurich point. I don't think we have anything to fear but next week I think the team will be confident of taking the game to them at Tynie. Here's hoping for a glorious night 

HHGH 

Bungalow Bill

Threads for Devlin and Sibbick, but I can’t see one for Atkinson. Surely he’s finished in a Hearts jersey. 

The Mighty Thor

That's what Neilson was after tonight. He'll be happy.

For long spells the ball was coming straight back at us and it's hard to defend that for long periods.

Atkinson was honking. 

The first goal was poor but the second was special. 8 defenders in the box and you lose a goal like that. 

We've got 6 or 7 defensive minded midfielders that cannot defend and we've still got the issue of linking what becomes a back 8 when we're under the cosh to an isolated 2 or 1/1 up top. 

We're still in it but we'll need to get our shit together for next Thursday IMO.

Just now, Bungalow Bill said:

Threads for Devlin and Sibbick, but I can’t see one for Atkinson. Surely he’s finished in a Hearts jersey. 

Chill out. Not yet. Plenty time for improvement.

Jack Torrance

We looked like we belonged on the European stage. It's been far too long since we've been able to say that.

Apart from a few minutes where we lost the goals, we looked composed and in control.

The second leg is there for the taking.

9 minutes ago, stirlo said:

We did sit back after the goal Levein , every other pundit , fan etc thought so .

People really should be able to get over their prejudices and see what actually happens on the field

Robbie has been quoted on the BBC saying that Hearts put in a brilliant performance tonight. What a slaver. Consolation is that we can't be as bad next week and didn't lose by more.

I’m probably way to late to the mark here but we’re we playing a 4-4-2? Was the new formation and losing Halkett our issue?

Only caught ten minutes of the game cause of shite signal at the fringe festival  

Just now, Hearts1975 said:

I think second half we committed more bodies up front and pressed from the backline much better than the first half 

Yes, first half we sat too deep at times for my liking but on reflection halkett going off early caused some jitters. 

I agree with u on the Zurich point. I don't think we have anything to fear but next week I think the team will be confident of taking the game to them at Tynie. Here's hoping for a glorious night 

HHGH 

Agreed! There's so many different views on tonight's game -but when all is said and done all that really matters is we're right in the tie and next Thursday has the potential to be a massive night for HMFC. 

8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

We were far too deep after the goal. Your analysis is spot on about both their goals but the fact we got away with only conceding two was a mix of luck, Craig Gordon and awful finishing. 

Let’s hope we’ve learned and get it right next week. 

Your right. I said that on the thread throughout the first half and thought when we pushed up second half we looked much better. 

Atkinson just has to defend these balls better, especially the first one, allowing for the fact we were sitting deep at the time. 

I don't want to slaughter him but at this level you can't get away with defending like that. He won us the penalty though so part redemption given. 

12 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

FFS We have a decent chance next week  

Defeats aren't a good thing any time but sometimes you have to see the bigger picture  

Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping for the best. I just think we could have had a bit more of a go tonight. I was disappointed with that performance, but we all have different expectations I suppose.

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

For long spells the ball was coming straight back at us and it's hard to defend that for long periods.

Atkinson was honking. 

The first goal was poor but the second was special. 8 defenders in the box and you lose a goal like that. 

We've got 6 or 7 defensive minded midfielders that cannot defend and we've still got the issue of linking what becomes a back 8 when we're under the cosh to an isolated 2 or 1/1 up top. 

We're still in it but we'll need to get our shit together for next Thursday IMO.

Jorge grant was standing on the goal line for the second goal.  He’s playing at CAM and he’s on the feckin goal line.  If he was standing in between the edge of the box and penalty spot where he should have been, he clears that ball away 

pettigrewsstylist
2 minutes ago, Bungalow Bill said:

Threads for Devlin and Sibbick, but I can’t see one for Atkinson. Surely he’s finished in a Hearts 

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Atkinson was honking. 

Well put. Boyce was the get out previously as he could take it in and win a free kick. This year...its bouncing off him like a tennis ball. 

Lots of work to be done, including new faces in I hope.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
29 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

We weren't terrific tonight if we were we wouldn't have lost 2 cheap goals. We were toothless up front tonight.  Zurich aren't great we could've took them tonight if we played well. It was so disjointed from the team.

What planet are you on? Zurich are, as I said, Swiss feckin Champions. Their passing was top drawer at times tonight. And, plenty of Hearts teams of yesteryear would've been picked apart by them. We weren't. Devlin, Gordon and Rowles were different class (although Haring was howling in the first half and gifted them possession for 2 goals).

Overall, it was a decent performance and a result that RN will be happier with than their manager. Well done Hearts!

5 minutes ago, Bungalow Bill said:

Atkinson just isn’t going to work out… just awful and you can see how badly he impacts the team. As soon as he goes off we see a big improvement. Should send him on loan…to see if he can learn to defend.

ScandinavianJambo

I am pleased to see the positivity in here, but I we really need to get defence and midfield sorted for next week if we are to stand a chance. We got players that can hurt them up front, but only if they get service. Problem is Celtic game isn't likely to install great confidence in the players either. Would be good to get a sniff of a new signing to lift the spirits (at least mine).

Naisys Tackle

The 42-year-old said: "I thought we were outstanding. We've come to the Swiss champions who had an outstanding season last season and have international players. We've taken the lead and lost two sloppy goals but we've stayed in the game.

"We've given ourselves a massive opportunity in front of 20,00 noisy Hearts fans next week.

"There was real disappointment in the dressing room, which there should be, but they've got to understand this is only half time. The focus now is on Sunday, get through that hopefully with a result and then ready for next Thursday.

That didn't help the side settle defensively and it's now a concern ahead of the second leg. Halkett was seen on crutches on the sidelines and Neilson insists it's too early to attempt to any assessment.

"He just tweaked his hamstring so we'll just need to see how he is in the next couple of days," he explained. "I thought Sibbick came in and did very, very well.

Mixed emotions but we have to be content at getting them back at tynie only 2-1 down. Before the game your thinking Swiss champions, would probably take anything from a win to a narrow defeat and get them at tynie. Check their league form this season and your thinking, we can get a result here. Go one up and you start to believe you can get a result. Go 2-1 down, ride our luck and to be honest quite lucky it was only 2-1. 

as others have said though, we need to be confident at tynecastle. We dominated the last 25 mins without really doing anything. This didn’t help with having smith and Devlin In the middle as we had no link from defence to attack. But the change of formation definitely helped and we looked a lot more comfortable despite still looking a bit fragile at the back. We need to stick to 4 at the back. 

they did have a few good players but there are goals for us at tynecastle. Need to tighten up at the back and take the game to them. Will be some atmosphere and I’m confident we will do it. 

lastly it’s games like this we miss Beni massively. Think he would have made a massive difference with his composure, energy and just overall ability on the ball linking the play and always an option to take it 

4 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Your right. I said that on the thread throughout the first half and thought when we pushed up second half we looked much better. 

Atkinson just has to defend these balls better, especially the first one, allowing for the fact we were sitting deep at the time. 

I don't want to slaughter him but at this level you can't get away with defending like that. He won us the penalty though so part redemption given. 

Atkinson will be a good player but he’s as green as they come. He’ll learn but at the moment he’s going to make mistakes. Lucky to have Michael smith to step in. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
7 minutes ago, Bungalow Bill said:

:jj_facepalm: 

1 minute ago, 5jambo1 said:

Mixed emotions but we have to be content at getting them back at tynie only 2-1 down. Before the game your thinking Swiss champions, would probably take anything from a win to a narrow defeat and get them at tynie. Check their league form this season and your thinking, we can get a result here. Go one up and you start to believe you can get a result. Go 2-1 down, ride our luck and to be honest quite lucky it was only 2-1. 

as others have said though, we need to be confident at tynecastle. We dominated the last 25 mins without really doing anything. This didn’t help with having smith and Devlin In the middle as we had no link from defence to attack. But the change of formation definitely helped and we looked a lot more comfortable despite still looking a bit fragile at the back. We need to stick to 4 at the back. 

they did have a few good players but there are goals for us at tynecastle. Need to tighten up at the back and take the game to them. Will be some atmosphere and I’m confident we will do it. 

lastly it’s games like this we miss Beni massively. Think he would have made a massive difference with his composure, energy and just overall ability on the ball linking the play and always an option to take it 

in all games we miss him

Edited by Hearts007

ScandinavianJambo
6 minutes ago, 5jambo1 said:

Yes, we do miss Beni, but he has been injured for a long time so you would hope we would get a decent enough replacement...

Edited by ScandinavianJambo

Why is atkinson starting this game, had a shocker against ross county off after 25 mins smith plays well ever since and is suddenly dropped?

25 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Levein is the Tony BLair of football.  Opens his mouth and most just think Dek off 

Agree. After the mess he left us in quite how anyone can take him seriously is baffling. He’s a decent pundit when talking about hibs but that aside there is a reason he’s never been in management since his abomination 

Bungalow Bill
7 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Atkinson just isn’t going to work out… just awful and you can see how badly he impacts the team. As soon as he goes off we see a big improvement. Should send him on loan…to see if he can learn to defend.

Genuinely believe if Smith was playing from the start we don’t lose those goals. 

Just now, Gary Locke said:

Why is atkinson starting this game, had a shocker against ross county off after 25 mins smith plays well ever since and is suddenly dropped?

smith is 33.  Shattered at Easter road after 60mins. Clearly doesn’t have 90 in him at the moment. Invaluable tonight and settled us though

Just now, Bungalow Bill said:

Genuinely believe if Smith was playing from the start we don’t lose those goals. 

John-Lennon-Wink.gif.d6cdbeccca03c20b1893d6fab4bdc0de.gif

Bungalow Bill
3 minutes ago, ScandinavianJambo said:

Indeed, after loss hysterics 😁

Not really. Single comment about one player who hasn’t impressed for a number of games now. We were decent in the 2nd half and I’m confident for the return leg. 

1 hour ago, inspector said:

Although Sibbick hasn't covered himself in glory, l would not like him to be a target for the 'boo-boys'. He will still get a high number of games this season. Giving him dogs abuse will not help. Saying that.........

Well said 👍

46 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Not totally sure either, Jimmy; I don't know if we left a space

It’s not so much the space, it’s can you sign a player after the first leg and play him in the second leg ?

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Atkinson will be a good player but he’s as green as they come. He’ll learn but at the moment he’s going to make mistakes. Lucky to have Michael smith to step in. 

Mate. I really hope Ur right. No issue with him going forward. But I'm not sure if he has it defensively. 

Just a bit concerned that he only seems to fit Robbie's plans in the 3-4-3 and not Any other formation especially the 4-2-3-1 and when we revert to a back 4

If this is the case and I guess it's a mute point now that we have signed him, I would rather we would have went for a full back who could play in a back 4 as well as the wing back role 

1 hour ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Obviously, but they were controlling which camera was active and they chose to show zurich coach & zurich fans waving shitty flags, every chance they got

Camera on the ****ing ball, please

Nah. It’s a local director. 

Just had a look on dotnut's take on the game. I could have written it myself over 3 hours ago:

"hertz ur pish,

hertz ur done,

I hope the hertz lose 5-1"

They're totally over it, ken?

Edited by martoon

Just now, Hearts1975 said:

Mate. I really hope Ur right. No issue with him going forward. But I'm not sure if he has it defensively. 

Just a bit concerned that he only seems to fit Robbie's plans in the 3-4-3 and not Any other formation especially the 4-2-3-1 and when we revert to a back 4

If this is the case and I guess it's a mute point now that we have signed him, I would rather we would have went for a full back who could play in a back 4 as well as the wing back role 

I honestly think he’ll learn. See that wee nudge the Zurich player gave him at the first goal? I’ve no idea who the Zurich player is but that’s the sort of play that a seasoned pro does and the sort of situation where a rookie comes off badly. 

Malinga the Swinga
19 minutes ago, Bungalow Bill said:

That the same Atkinson that won the penalty for us? The same Atkinson who's heading for world cup while our Scottish superstars stay at home.

Think you need to take a reality pill and enjoy watching Hearts.

13 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Two years ago the same comments were made about Halkett. Fact is far to many on here like to make scapegoats of certain players. Yes he made a mistake but so did many, Devlin and Haring for example. Both made horrendous passes that almost led to Zurich scoring and both failed to impose themselves in midfield.

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

I honestly think he’ll learn. See that wee nudge the Zurich player gave him at the first goal? I’ve no idea who the Zurich player is but that’s the sort of play that a seasoned pro does and the sort of situation where a rookie comes off badly. 

Fair enough. I just get the absolute jitters every time a ball comes near him in our box. I want him to come good and he comes across well in interviews etc. It's obvious he loves being here and I'll bet he is good in the dressing room. It's just the defensive side for me 👍