***Official FC Zurich v Heart of Midlothian ko 18:00 - Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

23 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

Why are we so poor in possession? 

For me we remain a team that plays for a 15 min spell in the first half and 20

mins in the second half and look good.

For the other 55 we are bang average to actually quite poor. We sit in, can’t get out, don’t break the lines and are so enfuriatingly poor on the ball. 

Spot on.  Why we can't be more consistent over the course of a game is baffling. And I'm not a fan of the captain being a keeper - no disrespect to Craig.  We need a outfield player that can kick ass and influence the game more.  It seems that when things go wrong our heads go down far too easily.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pettigrewsstylist

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Naisys Tackle

• neilnunb

25 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

My honest opinion is there’s a bit of penny pinching going on being honest half that team are second rate I’m afraid 

It's starting to look a bit like that. I thought when we were able to retain Kingsley and McKay in particular we would be looking to supplement with similar quality.  We seem to have signed some decent players this summer but nobody who raises the bar. That needs to be raised to supplement and augment our better players otherwise we stand still or regress. 

Maybe we're still recovering from the financial hit from the pandemic. When you see the Foundation monies going in at the levels we're seeing after the main objective was achieved, it does make you wonder a bit.

3 or 4 really good players (quality of Kingsley / Beni / McKay would make an enormous difference. Maybe that's unrealistic, I don't know. If it is unrealistic then we run the risk of not fulfilling the potential of our better players.

21 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Eh?

Guessing he's referencing the pipe smoker in one of the boxes who clearly though the tie was in the bag after 60 minutes.

StevenNaismith
1 hour ago, jamborich said:

What would your team be

Gordon

Smith

Halkett

Rowles

Kingsley

Devlin

Haring

Forrest

Grant

McKay

Shankland

Can easy be a 4-5-1 when defending but the pace  to hurt them on the counter attack. We’d be a much better team if RN wasn’t so negative.

23 minutes ago, saxondale said:

And therein is the crux of the issue - you've never rated him as a player, and are too stubborn to have your mind changed. If he plays well, you won't accept it. If he plays poorly it is completely blown out of proportion with little rationale.

You didn't even address my point either (funnily enough)...

My opinion is my opinion mate, nothing more, nothing less. Going forward, he doesn't improve our midfield, he's average at best.

Atkinson doesn't have it and never will, opposition see him as a weak spot and target him, and they're right.  Sibbick appears not to have it, but you think that he might just improve, but in reality we can't risk it if we're wanting to cement third and be a regular Euro group stage participant.  Both playing together is an invite to score, both need to go.

As others have said it has been glaringly obvious we need another accomplished CH since we knew Souttar was leaving, and with Halkett having a niggling injury.  Rowles has been a find, and we need another, quickly.

Haring was poor tonight, and he's turning into a bit of an enigma. Forrest is a poor mans Forrest.

Edited by Chuck Berry

17 minutes ago, Carter said:

It's starting to look a bit like that. I thought when we were able to retain Kingsley and McKay in particular we would be looking to supplement with similar quality.  We seem to have signed some decent players this summer but nobody who raises the bar. That needs to be raised to supplement and augment our better players otherwise we stand still or regress. 

Maybe we're still recovering from the financial hit from the pandemic. When you see the Foundation monies going in at the levels we're seeing after the main objective was achieved, it does make you wonder a bit.

3 or 4 really good players (quality of Kingsley / Beni / McKay would make an enormous difference. Maybe that's unrealistic, I don't know. If it is unrealistic then we run the risk of not fulfilling the potential of our better players

General consensus has been reinforcements would come before the window shut. A piecemeal approach will just be self fulfilling: potential blunted, making new contracts and seriously good signings such as Shankland a bit like buying a petrol car and putting diesel in it

Edited by Riccarton3

Just re-watched it. Sibbick is just no where near it. Caught out four times in second half in a back five with players just drifting off his shoulder. 

The fact Neilson singled him out and said he was excellent when he came on was interesting. It is clearly not the case so perhaps RN is tring anything to get him playing better realising now he may have to play. 

Who plays in the four now? If it is a 3 again it has to be Smith at RCB for me. Then of course Atkinson has to play RWB and that is a worry. 

Squad just not where it should be. 

The Black Prince

Couple of years ago, Atkinson (at Melb City) was suspended towards the end of the season so someone else (Jamieson, I think) played in his usual spot at RB and did very well. So when Atki came back in for the last two matches he was pushed up to right wing and was MOTM in both games.

He's a far better attacker than defender.

How did Rowles go tonight? Not seen much commentary on him.

Just now, The Black Prince said:

Couple of years ago, Atkinson (at Melb City) was suspended towards the end of the season so someone else (Jamieson, I think) played in his usual spot at RB and did very well. So when Atki came back in for the last two matches he was pushed up to right wing and was MOTM in both games.

He's a far better attacker than defender.

How did Rowles go tonight? Not seen much commentary on him.

Atkinson could be quite adept right if a 3 in a 4231. Just not seeing it where he's being deployed just now. 

SpruceBringsteen
6 hours ago, BathgateLad said:

Just wanted to say thanks to Sandy and his crew that gave my mate and I some great chat on the bus from St. Gallen to the stadium, and all the other folks that responded with a smile to me (a Livi fan, living in Zürich) wearing a Hibs top for a bit of  harmless banter. My pal is a big Hibee and we came along to enjoy the game in good spirits and get a dose of much-missed Scottish craic.

To the chap that punched me in face despite us being as friendly as can be: take a look at yourself. We’re all people pal.

Hope you got your nose "craiced".

If my "harmless banter" got me smacked in the teeth, I'd probably reassess my sense of humour. But that's just me.

Enjoy your black eye. x

I actually thought we were decent for MOST of the game. Started well, scored earlyish, let the wheels come off for 10/15 minutes through our own actions (and you can’t at this level) and lost 2 really preventable goals. I don’t think we were overly defensive but we were stung by Halkett going off and we didn’t have a clue how to fix it. We were all over the place. Luckily no more damage than those 2 goals and I thought we got it right tactically second half.

We’ve got a glaring problem on the right side defensively. Atkinson simply isn’t good enough for Hearts in any position. Sibbick is a bombscare as a central defender and to cap it all, looks like Halkett will be out for a bit. we have to have signings to cover those weaknesses. Smith was great tonight but he’s struggling with his back to do 90 minutes, never mind 2 games a week.

I don’t see any sense in signing people like Mackay and Shankland and Kingsley and Rowles and Devlin and a couple of others if your going to leave an area of the team weak like that. Doesn’t matter how well anyone else does, you can pour all the water in that you like but there is still a hole in the bucket.

Zurich are not great. We’ll probably beat them and qualify, but this window needs to be brought to a successful conclusion and these weaknesses dealt with. There is no viable excuse not to go out and do it in the next 2 weeks.

Auld Reekin'
7 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Hope you got your nose "craiced".

If my "harmless banter" got me smacked in the teeth, I'd probably reassess my sense of humour. But that's just me.

Enjoy your black eye. x

I'm not generally in favour of people punching other people unless in self-defence, but exactly how naïve or stupid does he have to be to wear a h1b5 shirt to a Hearts game when h1b5 aren't even playing? OK, even being very, VERY, naïve or stupid shouldn't really be a reason for someone to punch you, but what exactly did the guy expect? A pat on the back and a pint bought for him? If it'd been sevco playing, would he have worn the green & grey hoops and expected it to be treated as a bit of a laugh? Or vice-versa? :huh:

:facepalm:

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I thought we done okay tonight, they’re a million more miles streetwise in Europe than we are, and it showed! They’re very cute with their diving and fouls, we didn’t try any of that at all, and it might’ve benefitted us if we did.  

I’m bemused as to why Robbie started Natty at right back when Smith is far more solid there, and then he ditches Natty at half time to confirm our thoughts and brings on Smith, and then moves Smith into midfield and takes Haring off, although bizarrely it nearly worked 😂 

The only I can think is that he knew Smith would be the only option the to replace Haring in there and will be needed on Sunday and next Thursday, and Atkinson is a bit more attacking. They really need to work on Atkinsons defending and strengthening. 
No doubt we could’ve done with Smith for the whole game though. 

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, indianajones said:

Dangerous. I'd take 2-1 back to Tynecastle. Think we could progress with that.

Definitely, they look good on the break .

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Park him on halway line and keep 2 back there.

Indeed, for maybe more the 90 seconds though.

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, ...andFulton'sBaggio said:

That's what I'm saying, yes. If they're good enough they're old enough etc etc. If he's not good enough he should be with the B team 🤷‍♂️

I agree but won’t play a 19yo in a big game, or any game if he can help it. 

Pasquale for King
22 minutes ago, Mick from Oz said:

Ditch the back three and this wingback shit, it doesn't work.

We consistently play better with four at the back, we will lose goals with either formation but will score more with another attacker on the pitch. The evidence is there for all to see. 

5 hours ago, hearts00 said:

Why are we so poor in possession? 

For me we remain a team that plays for a 15 min spell in the first half and 20

mins in the second half and look good.

For the other 55 we are bang average to actually quite poor. We sit in, can’t get out, don’t break the lines and are so enfuriatingly poor on the ball. 

Miss Beni , hopefully he gets back to his best. He breaks up play in the middle of the park and retains possession allowing others to get out. 

Agree it's frustrating watching the forwards get isolated as we sit deeper and deeper. Happened a few times now.

Still other than a few brain farts we weren't miles off it.

Having only been able to watch it when I finished work, a couple of things stuck out

- the ball always seemed to find their player and stick with him when they chose to zip it around 

- they hunted in packs when they were shutting us down

Having said that, there were opportunities for us to get back into it and I didn’t think they were great defensively. 

The one player of theirs I thought was a real genuine threat was their left back/wing back who scored the first goal. We need to work on shutting him down in the return leg.

8 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

I lost the rag when they switched away from the ongoing play to some old duffer trying to light his pipe... 

:facepalm::muggy:

Big pipe too! 

1 hour ago, merseyjambo said:

Having only been able to watch it when I finished work, a couple of things stuck out

- the ball always seemed to find their player and stick with him when they chose to zip it around 

- they hunted in packs when they were shutting us down

Having said that, there were opportunities for us to get back into it and I didn’t think they were great defensively. 

The one player of theirs I thought was a real genuine threat was their left back/wing back who scored the first goal. We need to work on shutting him down in the return leg.

Same I watched it back as working but I thought their 36 year old that scored the 2nd was the best player on the park.Stuck out that he was really good international for the years.Didnt think much of the young Italian prodigy when he came on , just be our luck he will be amazing 2nd leg.

Overall I thought we done well enough def signs we can beat them at Tynie but would like to see Boyce and Shankland both start as they definitely didn't like it when both were on.

3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

We consistently play better with four at the back, we will lose goals with either formation but will score more with another attacker on the pitch. The evidence is there for all to see. 

Robbie seemed quite pleased in his interview before the game that we chopped and changed between the two.What he didn't say though was we keep changing as the three ain't working and the one time we done it the opposite way we conceded a last min equaliser.

Bin the 3 and keep working on the 4231 

Would love to hear from those who were there what the whole expereience was like apart from the game.  Good times? Friendly locals? Apporox number of Hearts supporters?

pettigrewsstylist
8 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I thought we done okay tonight, they’re a million more miles streetwise in Europe than we are, and it showed! They’re very cute with their diving and fouls, we didn’t try any of that at all, and it might’ve benefitted us if we did.  

I’m bemused as to why Robbie started Natty at right back when Smith is far more solid there, and then he ditches Natty at half time to confirm our thoughts and brings on Smith, and then moves Smith into midfield and takes Haring off, although bizarrely it nearly worked 😂 

Because he went 352 and smith cant do that anymore. Reverted 442 and smith comes in. Cochrane panicking last night every time he got the ball didnt help. Defensive central midfield further aggravates as Grant was posted missing. Devlin did a power of work but Mackay and Shankland could not link it all on their own.

Bin the 3 at the back for gods sake. It’s useless.  If he persists we need a replacement for Atkinson who is not good enough yet. 
Haring is not good enough at European level, as is Sibbick yet.

the ball was given away far too much and the space afforded to Zurich on the right especially was awful. 

Edited by 1971fozzy

Donis Football God
45 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Would love to hear from those who were there what the whole expereience was like apart from the game.  Good times? Friendly locals? Apporox number of Hearts supporters?

I saw a fight on TV in your sector. Why are you beating each other up?

buzzbomb1958
8 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

You need help. 

If you think with the amount of games to be played this season that this squad will be good enough you r deluded 

15 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Such a stupid post on so many different  levels. Well done.

As I said a back 4 is the way we should play 

unfortunately halkett went off but we do not have the players to play the stupid 343 

Smith should always.be on the pitch in a back 4 

We were lucky tonight it should have been 4/5 

Seriously cannot believe people cannot see this formation sucks 

Genuinely surprised to hear how awful Tom English and Craig Levein thought we were when listening to podcast version of Sportsound on BBC sounds this morning.

We can play a lot better certainly, but I don't think it was anywhere near to being a poor performance.

41 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

As I said a back 4 is the way we should play 

unfortunately halkett went off but we do not have the players to play the stupid 343 

Smith should always.be on the pitch in a back 4 

We were lucky tonight it should have been 4/5 

Seriously cannot believe people cannot see this formation sucks 

Halkett going off was the determining factor in our loss last night. Folk don't seem to realise an away loss by 1 goal is actually a decent result. Have a wee look at Rangers away form in the Europa League and Champions League QF's ...

Allowayjambo1874

The freeze frame that was shown on TV before the first goal highlights the issue of sibbick and Atkinson on the right perfectly. They overloaded the right with three players on that side. An experienced RB such as Smith would have called sibbick over to cover the boy who eventually scored and dropped over to the wing. An experienced RCB eg Halkett would have told Atkinson to push right and went over and attacked the ball when it came up. Neither happened, it feels like neither Atkinson or Sibbick have the tactical nouse or leadership that is required and everyone can see that. Every time the camera panned on to Smith when he was on he was shouting at people and getting them set correctly. Both Atkinson and Sibbick need taken out the firing line, we need to play 4-2-3-1 from now on with back 4 of Smith, Rowles, Kingsley and Cochrane but that means we rely heavily on Smith who seems to be struggling with fitness. Neilson might have to go in for a few league games and have a sink or swim time. That can work, Gary Naysmith v Celtic in league cup for example, but as a fan base we will need to be patient with the lad. I’m sure Savage will be on the blower to English clubs trying to secure a loan deal for a RCB, he’s bound to see the issues we currently have. 

10 hours ago, Carter said:

We need a strong and accomplished experienced player who can play RCB. That's been clear since we knew Souttar was leaving. He's not been replaced which seems odd given we knew he was leaving in January and it's almost September.

Yeah we definitely need another centre back however I don’t think I would look for another in the same mould as Souttar. I would be looking for an aggressive ball winning centre back like Halkett. As we saw in the second half and last season we’re very weak at the back when Halkett is injured and look susceptible to losing calls from set pieces and crosses.

41 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Genuinely surprised to hear how awful Tom English and Craig Levein thought we were when listening to podcast version of Sportsound on BBC sounds this morning.

We can play a lot better certainly, but I don't think it was anywhere near to being a poor performance.

I didn't think we we're great.  A lot of what they are saying is correct I think, a lot of players looked a bit rabbit in headlights.  Somewhat understandably in some cases, our young left back has played less professional games than Gordon has in Europe. Their analysis of Neilson's post-match interview is spot on too I think.

2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Good trip, in my opinion, only spoilt by the Billy boy brigade singing on the bus their bigoted Rangers version song about fenian blood etc.

Contrary to what some of the less intelligent fellow supporters were singing when we were held back after the game, the last thing St Gallen can be described as is a “shithole” the place is immaculate with no litter, fag ends or chewing gum on the pavement., although I did see some empty beer bottles at the old town area where our fans were based. If anything this place makes Edinburgh look like a “shithole” in comparison.
That said, everything is horrendously expensive compared to home. With eating out and drink very expensive even in McDonalds. The people are friendly, helpful and shop and eatery staff we encountered spoke brilliant English.

The town itself is a mixture of old and new with lots of old interesting buildings.

Other than using it as a base for sightseeing there is probably not much to do. Lake Constance is a short  free train ride away and we spent an afternoon there in Rorschach which is a smaller version of St Gallen.

Difficult to say how many Jambos were here. Six bendy buses were provided to take us to and from the stadium, therefore there must have been five hundred or so supporters. Whilst the club were selling tickets for all four sections of one of the goal ends they only opened up one section.

Hopefully this answers your questions and gives you an impression of this place and perhaps confirms what you already know about a minority of our fans.

26 minutes ago, WageThief said:

I didn't think we we're great.  A lot of what they are saying is correct I think, a lot of players looked a bit rabbit in headlights.  Somewhat understandably in some cases, our young left back has played less professional games than Gordon has in Europe. Their analysis of Neilson's post-match interview is spot on too I think.

The last 30 mins we were much better - first half pen masked what was a pretty poor 45 - but we certainly grew into the game.

This is the second time Atkinson has been hooked at HT, he needs time in the B team to toughen up, he's soft soft soft.

Ex member of the SaS

So once again we sat in after we scored, and again too many passes around the defense and no forward movement. 8 to 12 passes back and forward before either losing possession on the half way line or a hump to no one. What was Ginnelly supposed to do with less than two minutes on the clock?

We need to get stuck in and tackle BEFORE they reach our half. I know a high tempo game is tiring but FFS these are meant to be fit young players. Too many slack passes and no off the ball movement. And again some of the subs are baffling, taking off Shankland when Mckay had run his heart out?

7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Have been saying that for a while but it's how you keep Kingsley and Cochrane in the same team? unless Kingsley just plays as the left centre half next week in a back 4 next week alongside Rowes with Smith at right back ? I feel that would give us the best chance of progressing in the tie Especially with Halkett now out, I would go a 4231

Gordon

Smith Rowles Kingsley Cochrane 

Devlin Haring

Forrest Boyce McKay 

Shankland

If we play that we win 2-0 imo and go through.

7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Have been saying that for a while but it's how you keep Kingsley and Cochrane in the same team? unless Kingsley just plays as the left centre half next week in a back 4 next week alongside Rowes with Smith at right back ? I feel that would give us the best chance of progressing in the tie Especially with Halkett now out, I would go a 4231

Gordon

Devlin Haring

Forrest Boyce McKay 

Shankland

I am still confident we'll get through this tie but we really need to wise up quickly in european football.

At times we looked scared to get control of the ball, poor in possession, poor out of possession but looked more solid in the last half hour with Boyce and Forrest on.

One thing is very clear though, as I've moaned about before, Atkinson is ok against the 'lesser' teams, when we have most possession, but is found wanting against the uglies and last night. He needs a lot of work on defending and is often poor with the ball; giving it away too often. The only positive was winning the penalty.

Sibbick is another that needs work and often looks exposed. For me, he looks better as a defensive midfielder screening the back 3/4.

Time will tell on those two but i suspect Atkinson is nearer the exit.

Roll on next week. We should have too much for them at Tynie, shouldn't we?

grumpyespana

You have to remember that the conditions were terrible last night with the rain so I would say that was a fair result guys.

23 minutes ago, John Rambo said:

I am still confident we'll get through this tie but we really need to wise up quickly in european football.

At times we looked scared to get control of the ball, poor in possession, poor out of possession but looked more solid in the last half hour with Boyce and Forrest on.

One thing is very clear though, as I've moaned about before, Atkinson is ok against the 'lesser' teams, when we have most possession, but is found wanting against the uglies and last night. He needs a lot of work on defending and is often poor with the ball; giving it away too often. The only positive was winning the penalty.

Sibbick is another that needs work and often looks exposed. For me, he looks better as a defensive midfielder screening the back 3/4.

Time will tell on those two but i suspect Atkinson is nearer the exit.

Roll on next week. We should have too much for them at Tynie, shouldn't we?

I think they are dangerous on the break, highlighted in the latter stages last night. We need to guard against getting caught with a sucker punch next week as it could really knock us out the tie if they score first. We do need a fast start but no need to go gung ho at them from the start. Tie is very much winnable though and we are in with a real shout to progress if we play well on the night. 

4 minutes ago, grumpyespana said:

You have to remember that the conditions were terrible last night with the rain so I would say that was a fair result guys.

Absolutely, think it's easy to sit in your house and criticise but they are no mugs and would tuck most of our league away. Even the OF have come unstuck against lesser teams away from home recently, so we are in no way disgraced by last night. Tynecastle next week will be a completely different game and one we can certainly give a good account of ourselves with. 

1 minute ago, PapaShango said:

I think they are dangerous on the break, highlighted in the latter stages last night. We need to guard against getting caught with a sucker punch next week as it could really knock us out the tie if they score first. We do need a fast start but no need to go gung ho at them from the start. Tie is very much winnable though and we are in with a real shout to progress if we play well on the night. 

Agreed.

Scenario reminds me of Slavia Prague back in the day.

Lost the first leg by a goal. We need to win by 2 clear at Tynie to go through.

We score first, we look good to go on and win without too much fuss... they equalise.

I remember saying toi my mate, we need another 2 now, which were duly delivered before half time.

They get one back to test the nerves, before wee Snodin sticks in a raker from 25 yards..........just checked that was almost 30 years ago now!

I'd take another 4 - 2 but without the nerves this time.

2 minutes ago, John Rambo said:

Agreed.

Scenario reminds me of Slavia Prague back in the day.

Lost the first leg by a goal. We need to win by 2 clear at Tynie to go through.

We score first, we look good to go on and win without too much fuss... they equalise.

I remember saying toi my mate, we need another 2 now, which were duly delivered before half time.

They get one back to test the nerves, before wee Snodin sticks in a raker from 25 yards..........just checked that was almost 30 years ago now!

I'd take another 4 - 2 but without the nerves this time.

No away goals these days either which may help us, we have been done by the away goals rule so many times in Europe. If we score first it's very much game on and Tynecastle will become a real bear pit. Love these nights under the lights, hopefully the place is rocking and we get right into them. 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Robbie seemed quite pleased in his interview before the game that we chopped and changed between the two.What he didn't say though was we keep changing as the three ain't working and the one time we done it the opposite way we conceded a last min equaliser.

Bin the 3 and keep working on the 4231 

Definitely, we’ve changed formation during every game this season, even when it’s working. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Gordon

Devlin Haring

Forrest Boyce McKay 

Shankland

Yeah it’s a bit of a conundrum with the players we have at our disposal of Halkett is out. 
I like that team but he’s likely to go for three again with Smith at RCB i think or Sibbick there with Smith ahead of him. Or possibly Sibbick Smith Rowles Kingsley with Cochrane missing out.  They look like they’re good on the break so it will need to be a decent defensive performance. I can’t see us keeping a clean sheet though so will need to score three I think. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, PapaShango said:

No away goals these days either which may help us, we have been done by the away goals rule so many times in Europe. If we score first it's very much game on and Tynecastle will become a real bear pit. Love these nights under the lights, hopefully the place is rocking and we get right into them. 

We need to start on the front foot to keep the crowd into it though, one of these insipid first half’s won’t do. 
They said last night we had never progressed by the away goals rule so thank **** it’s finished. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
15 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

It’s interesting some players seem to be above any criticism on JKB. Devlin  made a number of very poor passes that almost led to Zurich scoring. 

It’s interesting that some players seem to get singled out on JKB. Every player made some poor passes, including McKay (eg close to our box) and Shankland (3 times in the first 10 minutes or so he lost possession).

Edited by Sub4TiddlerMurray