What is woke and how does it impact you?

Unknown user

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The use of "they" and "them" pronouns in order to indicate the 1st person singular without indicating the sex of the person has been used in English for a long while now, certainly before the current gender debate, and is very useful in that respect. It has nothing to do with being "woke".

In fact, the use of "they" and "them" in this regard first emerged in the English language by the 14th century:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they

This use of singular they had emerged by the 14th century, about a century after the plural they. It has been commonly employed in everyday English ever since and has gained currency in official contexts. Singular they has been criticised since the mid-18th century by prescriptive commentators who consider it an error. Its continued use in modern standard English has become more common and formally accepted with the move toward gender-neutral language. Though some early-21st-century style guides described it as colloquial and less appropriate in formal writing, by 2020, most style guides accepted the singular they as a personal pronoun.

We should day “ and over to red Jambo in dictionary corner to explain the evolution of this word “ ! 😎👍 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Unknown user

• Dawnrazor

• il Duce McTarkin

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

We should day “ and over to red Jambo in dictionary corner to explain the evolution of this word “ ! 😎👍 

As long as I get to sit next to Susie Dent, I'm game. :D

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The use of "they" and "them" pronouns in order to indicate the 1st person singular without indicating the sex of the person has been used in English for a long while now, certainly before the current gender debate, and is very useful in that respect. It has nothing to do with being "woke".

In fact, the use of "they" and "them" in this regard first emerged in the English language by the 14th century:

This use of singular they had emerged by the 14th century, about a century after the plural they. It has been commonly employed in everyday English ever since and has gained currency in official contexts. Singular they has been criticised since the mid-18th century by prescriptive commentators who consider it an error. Its continued use in modern standard English has become more common and formally accepted with the move toward gender-neutral language. Though some early-21st-century style guides described it as colloquial and less appropriate in formal writing, by 2020, most style guides accepted the singular they as a personal pronoun.

Surprisingly for me I’ve Always been aware not to assume someone’s sex if in a situation I don’t know it , usually in correspondence 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Yes you can Red ! 👍 your the brains of this outfit ! 😎👍

Unknown user
28 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Wokery has little effect on me me but one thing I have complained about is its effect on the English language wich at best renders it ugly but at worst actually makes langage ambiguous or even meaning less. There is a good example is the reporting of the latest BBC scandal involving the presenter and a youngster paid to allow the presenter to take pictures of the unclothed victim. The report (in the Sunday Telegraph of all places)  uses the woke "they" pronoun  to avoid specifying the gender of the two involved. The article says ""The unidentified presenter is alleged to to have sent over £35,000 to the then teenager beginning three years ago when they were just 17, and which they are said to have used to fund a crack cocaine addiction".

In plain English this suggests the youngster and the presenter were 17 wnen the relationship started and that both presenter and the youngster used the £35,000 to fund the cocaine habit of each of them. This seems unlikely and is at the very least totally ambiguous.  The confusion and damage to the English language could be very easily avoided by referring to the victim as the "youngster" or (as the mother does in quotes  the "child". 

But someone on the Telegraph decided being woke meant more than clarity.

Nothing wrong with using "they" in that context though, whether it's their chosen pronoun or not.

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I've long been convinced she's just Noel Fielding with tits

13 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Surprisingly for me I’ve Always been aware not to assume someone’s sex if in a situation I don’t know it , usually in correspondence 

Yup, me too. It's served me well in editing and proofreading.

16 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes you can Red ! 👍 your the brains of this outfit ! 😎👍

I wish you'd stop saying that! :D I don't want to have to live up to any imposed reputation, I just want to be an ordinary eejit arsehole like the rest of you. ;)

Edited by redjambo

12 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I've long been convinced she's just Noel Fielding with tits

Excellent. That gives me a Plan B.

27 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Nothing wrong with using "they" in that context though, whether it's their chosen pronoun or not.

Always thought it was old Norse, not modern woke.

JudyJudyJudy
33 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I wish you'd stop saying that! :D I don't want to have to live up to any imposed reputation, I just want to be an ordinary eejit arsehole like the rest of you. ;)

😂

IMG_4007.gif

Francis Albert
10 hours ago, redjambo said:

Genuine thanks for the education. 

But in my defence the last paragraph says it has only become commonly accepted in modern times since 2020 and that has

been related to the "move toward gender neutral language".

My objection was not primarily about wokeness but about unnecessary ambiguity and lack of clarity. I may have wrongly attributed the use to wokery but my  objection to the usage stands.

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

But in my defence the last paragraph says it has only become commonly accepted in modern times since 2020 and that has

My objection was not primarily about wokeness but about unnecessary ambiguity and lack of clarity. I may have wrongly attributed the use to wokery but my  objection to the usage stands.

It doesn't say it's only become commonly accepted since 2020 at all

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I base that on my interpretation of the last three sentences of redjambo's post. 

And perhaps a personal bias due to the fact  that most of what I have read predates the 20th century and generally did not use they when clearly  referring to an individual person

55 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

No problem, FA. We'll have to agree to differ. The use of they, them and their etc. as third person singular pronouns has been commonly used in the English language for centuries. It's just modern written style guides, which tend to be quite conservative anyway, of which some were reticent at first but which are now virtually all on-board as regards the use of the pronouns in formal written language.

A couple more examples in English literature.

Chaucer's Canterbury Tales:

And whoso fyndeth hym out of swich blame, They wol come up […]

Shakespeare's A Comedy of Errors, Act IV, Scene 3:

There's not a man I meet but doth salute me
As if I were their well-acquainted friend

10 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Dont mess with scaffolders.

Good enough.

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Good enough.

When privileged middle classes meets no nonsense working classes ! 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

14 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Dont mess with scaffolders.

Scaffolders are pussies. 

Seriously thou, I hope one day the jso get tooled up and stick these ***** in hospital. 

JudyJudyJudy
50 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Scaffolders are pussies. 

Seriously thou, I hope one day the jso get tooled up and stick these ***** in hospital. 

Jso 

• 1 month later...
On 09/07/2023 at 13:36, redjambo said:

Pity that Susie is not😁

• 4 weeks later...
JudyJudyJudy

Turning down 500 million ? Hard to believe ? 

It’s actually quite a funny article 😂 and in his next sequel to “ rocky “ he has his biggest fight … against …. Arthritis 

https://spacexmania.com/dont-want-wokeness-in-my-life-sylvester-stallone-rejects-disneys-500-million-woke-movie-offer12/?fbclid=IwAR2GpwuPZ8-D8ODJgQDAn93uOyJUrJSVdyc86MGmfvbVeSSGsGzVi_nvtk4_aem_AaVffvEBS-CunaDp0pf72txFLWHSdkC9f1Sp4NusnY5nIquf4x8xQLxFk6_GCl6dp8A

IMG_5953.jpeg

ToadKiller Dog

No way he would have been offered 500m.

Best paid actor last year dwayne Johnson earned about 87m last year .

A list stars get around 15 to 20m a movie ,is Stallone a A lister these days ?.

Go woke go broke.

Soccer Saturday is now unwatchable.  

Wtf is Clinton Morrison doing on the show ? Guy can't speak.. not can't speak English, just can't speak. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Yes that’s what I wondered . 

Jeffros Furios
3 minutes ago, kevin_hmfc said:

Go woke go broke.

Soccer Saturday is now unwatchable.  

Wtf is Clinton Morrison doing on the show ? Guy can't speak.. not can't speak English, just can't speak. 

They also share the same toilets ,  disgusting filth :lenny:

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

I wonder if it’s also tv programmes  too ? He did “ Tulsa king “ and that was a success 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

1 hour ago, Jeffros Furios said:

They also share the same toilets ,  disgusting filth :lenny:

That man in the picture should shit into a bucket 

scott herbertson
3 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I’d go Hibs for £500m. 

Tsk Tsk

Some things aren't negotiable

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I shout "Evil!" at every wheelchair user I see precisely because of this. Thankfully, this will make me think twice.

I just assumed that all Daleks looked like Davros if you took their pepper pot top and plunger off  

2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I just assumed that all Daleks looked like Davros if you took their pepper pot top and plunger off  

We had a teacher at Lasswade that was the spit of Davros, she wasn't in a wheelchair chair so was obviously no way "evil"

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

We had a teacher at Lasswade that was the spit of Davros, she wasn't in a wheelchair chair so was obviously no way "evil"

Oh dear .

2 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I don't actually know anything about Doctor Who.

Isn't Davros where the Illuminati and Bilderbergs all meet up every year to plot their evil ways?

😎

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Every Dr who episode is on bbc iPlayer 

I like the ones with Karen Gillan, she's a smasher.

2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I like the ones with Karen Gillan, she's a smasher.

I liked Jon pertwee and Tom baker and I briefly watched it again when Chris eccleston was in it . That was about it 

26 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Every Dr who episode is on bbc iPlayer 

Actually only episodes from 1963 - 1996 still no bad collection 

• 2 weeks later...