***Official Heart of Midlothian v H1b5 Match Day Thread***

Wee Mikey

Naisys Tackle
1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Thing is do they have the ability to come out flying in any way shape or form?  in reality I don't really see it.  There seems to be very very little what I'd call intelligence in their team.  Other than maybe Cadden and Henderson, I just don't see anyone who could hurt us.  Even comparing them to Ross Co, they have way less.

You are right though, our boys just need to be calm and take whatever it is Hibs come out with and professionally dispose of them.  We certainly won't be bullied by their nonsense, we have to hope the ref won't be either (unlike most times they play us and Saturday against St J).  Our chances will come, whether we come out the blocks 100% an hour or take our time, we'll control the game.

Hibs might get a fluke, it happens.  If football breaks out, they've no chance.

County had a load of unknown randoms.  Hubs have too.  Thats dangerous to assume they wont be as good and we got torn apart first half Saturday just expecting it to work.  We really need to take the second half attitude into Sunday from kick off and not think we just have to arrive for a result. 

Beatton the Ref. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• frankblack

2 hours ago, EH11 2NL said:

Hopefully they set up defensively, they'd never keep us out for 90 minutes, especially given we now have a potent attack down both sides and a Shanks in the middle. Think they will come out flying as per, burn out after 25mins so unless they are 2 or 3 up by that point we'll still **** them over like the last game at Tynecastle. 

I know our front three/3-4-3 formation is supposed to draw goals out from our wingers (which it did, but we've only seen one match thus far) but I fear Shankland wont be hitting as many goals as we think if he gets the type (lack) of service he was getting at the weekend

Would like to see a 4-2-3-1 with McKay and Forrest on the wings and Grant behind Shanks

Edited by Halliphax

Hectormasson
7 minutes ago, Halliphax said:

I know our front three/3-4-3 formation is supposed to draw goals out from our wingers (which it did, but we've only seen one match thus far) but I fear Shankland wont be hitting as many goals as we think if he gets the type (lack) of service he was getting at the weekend

Would like to see a 4-2-3-1 with McKay and Forrest on the wings and Grant behind Shanks

Ditto,4-2-3-1, think that's the way to do them,we've got strength and ability,to hurt them,let's hope we do......🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

45 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Try is the big word here.  They've tried that in the last few derbies and there's been this narrative that they dominated or whatever.  Truth is they didn't lay a glove on us other than the Tynie on where the scored and we belted them for it.

I've said this before but was at Robbo's book launch and he talked about how Doddie used to tell them that Hibs will come out all blood and snotters and do everything at 100 miles an hour.  They were told just keep cool, don't back down and when they run out of puff, you'll beat them, quite simply because you're better than them.   That's the attitude I want from us - of course I want us to be at them, but I want us just to know we're better than them - put the effort in, let them run aboot and kick everything, pick them off.  It's what we've always done.

Nothing has changed in the that 30 years.  Even in that 3-1 game, I was speaking to a ex-Hearts player about it and he knew we'd win even at 1-0 down cos Hibs would burst.  They're basically not bright!!  We've got a team full of good professionals and not a lack of talent either.

I don't disagree with u and I believe we can beat them, but you have to take into account Robbie has never won there as a manager. 

And last weeks 1st half performance was very poor. 

6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I don't disagree with u and I believe we can beat them, but you have to take into account Robbie has never won there as a manager. 

I don’t think you have to take that into account at all tbh. His previous spell as manager is largely irrelevant as well. Hibs are a very poor side. At best their new signings will gel and they’ll manage an average season. 

1 hour ago, Halliphax said:

I also like the 4231. But we can't deny the 343 created a shed load of chances last year, it'll come. 

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Try is the big word here.  They've tried that in the last few derbies and there's been this narrative that they dominated or whatever.  Truth is they didn't lay a glove on us other than the Tynie on where the scored and we belted them for it.

I've said this before but was at Robbo's book launch and he talked about how Doddie used to tell them that Hibs will come out all blood and snotters and do everything at 100 miles an hour.  They were told just keep cool, don't back down and when they run out of puff, you'll beat them, quite simply because you're better than them.   That's the attitude I want from us - of course I want us to be at them, but I want us just to know we're better than them - put the effort in, let them run aboot and kick everything, pick them off.  It's what we've always done.

Nothing has changed in the that 30 years.  Even in that 3-1 game, I was speaking to a ex-Hearts player about it and he knew we'd win even at 1-0 down cos Hibs would burst.  They're basically not bright!!  We've got a team full of good professionals and not a lack of talent either.

I agree for a large part of this post but there can be a subtlety between seemingly handling what a team throws at you or get away with the breaks and come good in the end. 

A lot of the derby games way back did see Hibs do their usual blood and snotters routine for the first 20, but often Hearts defended stoutly and mopped up before any kind of genuine opening for Hibs.  Of course, there’s been tens of derbies and different kinds, we’ve fell behind and won, we’ve got breaks and won,  but many derbies were won because we sickened them by being defensively strong then seeing us click and play our football.

Last season we got away with it a little in the derby at Fester, imo. Hibs had far too many balls bouncing about the area between our 18 yard line and 6 yard box.  We need to be far better outside our box when closing down and being a tight unit.  My bugbear is full backs ball watching instead of getting properly close. Too much of a gap allows a comfortable ball to be put in, and Hibs tend to play that way v us.  

Anyway, I think we are better but as always, it’s about attitude and application. People will say players naturally get up for a derby but there’s much to work on after last weeks first 45.

Probably a good thing though. The manager and players will assess and hopefully have the determination to fight for form and find their rhythm.  

Edited by Debut 4

15 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

How many things does he have to achieve before you give him credit for being a good manager

until last season it was people saying his record against them was poor

He did not win big games

he never does any thing in the cups

he has turned all of those things up side down and I totally expect him to do the same with the away derby win argument this Sunday 

what will be your next complaint that he has not achieved

14 minutes ago, Sooks said:

We are beating them on Sunday and I do not have a single doubt about it 

And neirher do I.

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, martoon said:

My main concern is us passively easing ourselves into the game. If so, it could scupper our chances.

Hibs aren't up to much, though, and

if we start on the frontfoot and play well for, say, an hour across the 90 then I'd be confident of Hearts winning.

C'mon Hearts. Get them beat.

A Tynecastle, Hampden, Easter Road three-in-a-row sounds good.

Unbeaten here and it's 7 iar undefeated.... 😁

3 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

And neirher do I.

Good man

They have a couple of good players that are confirmed as such and then a whole bunch of confirmed average fodder and a pile of new signings that we do not really know much about

Good - Marshall and Cadden 

Average - too many to mention

Poor - too many to mention

Unknowns - too many to mention

We have Forrest Halkett Shankland McKay Grant Boyce Devlin Haring Gordon and Kingsley who we absolutely know are better than any of their known opposite numbers

It will take a lot  of Hibs new boys to turn out to be un expected really good players or some officiating shenanigans for them to be the better team for the majority of the 90 minutes

We are winning this

Portable Badger
5 hours ago, poultry said:

🤣 58, 6ft was built like a brick shit hoose, and most definitely be wearing maroon.  🇱🇻

😂.  I’ll keep my eyes peeled for an ugly big fecker then!!!

Beaton better do a better job protecting the likes of Mackay and Forrest than he usually  does. 
They are dirty bassas. 
Newell and porteous will be sharpening their boots as I type. 

I would love a sending off for those 2 and a Halliday screamer.

10 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Beaton better do a better job protecting the likes of Mackay and Forrest than he usually  does. 
They are dirty bassas. 
Newell and porteous will be sharpening their boots as I type. 

I would love a sending off for those 2 and a Halliday screamer.

It is funny to read Hibs dot net …..

one guy gives it the who is the current Hearts midfield thug that will rough us up chat and then there is a glut of posts about how we will feign injury like we always do

Make up your mind Hibs are we the dirty thugs or the fairy team that cries about Hibs thuggery

Idiots 

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

How many things does he have to achieve before you give him credit for being a good manager, who says he isn't a good manager? I'm backing him 😂you have definitely went two footed into this one? 

Do I believe we could get better yes, but that's the same with player's too.  

We should always want to be better. 

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

until last season it was people saying his record against them was poor, so have we just to imagine he has won at Easter Road as a manager WTF😂

He did not win big games. 

That's a matter off opinion 

he never does any thing in the cups, he's never won a cup 👍

he has turned all of those things up side down and I totally expect him to do the same with the away derby win argument this Sunday 

Yes I hope we can win too 👍

Nothing to complain about actually if you take notice I backed the gaffer on Saturday, and gave the player's it both barrels but okay. 

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I don’t think you have to take that into account at all tbh. His previous spell as manager is largely irrelevant as well. Hibs are a very poor side. At best their new signings will gel and they’ll manage an average season. 

I hope you're spot on mate. 

2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Unbeaten here and it's 7 iar undefeated.... 😁

Thank feck we're getting close to Hibs mega, best in 4½ decades, 9 game stretch from a few years back.

5 of them draws, iirc, and no win in Gorgie.

It must be great being a Hibby.

😄

6 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Any kind of win will do me but here is my preference for the day:

Both teams are fairly equal but hibs get a dodgy penalty in the first half and score. Their confidence grows and the "sunshine on leef" gets an airing.

84 minutes on the clock still 1 nil to them.

We score a beauty via a pile driver from 30 yards from Jorge Grant or similar.

Hubs arses collapse and on 89 minutes, we go up the park and its almost a carbon copy goal from last week with a few 1-2's and then a deadly cross by cochrane is put into the back of the net by James Forrest. 2-1 Hearts!

The Hearts are having a party and the hibs are in their beds!!!

Mon the Hearts!

and Hibs get awarded the points cos we play Alan Forrest's brother James who is a Celtic player

Can't say I'm looking forward to this one with confidence.

Hibs might have ****ed up in the League Cup but it has given them more game time which will count for a lot on the pitch.

They should be ahead of us in all departments except for one. The same one that got us over the line against Ross County. Quality of the team.

They'll never get a better chance this season to beat us. 

I think they will start super fast ie kick anything that moves in a maroon shirt,go in leading 1-0  (JKB in meltdown Phoodle out- usual suspects) we will dish it out second half to win 3-1 and sanity will return to JKB World

Horatio Caine
6 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Any kind of win will do me but here is my preference for the day:

Both teams are fairly equal but hibs get a dodgy penalty in the first half and score. Their confidence grows and the "sunshine on leef" gets an airing.

84 minutes on the clock still 1 nil to them.

We score a beauty via a pile driver from 30 yards from Jorge Grant or similar.

Hubs arses collapse and on 89 minutes, we go up the park and its almost a carbon copy goal from last week with a few 1-2's and then a deadly cross by cochrane is put into the back of the net by James Forrest. 2-1 Hearts!

The Hearts are having a party and the hibs are in their beds!!!

Mon the Hearts!

PJ -gonnae no!  My blood pressure would never survive that scenario.

Would far rather the result was beyond doubt from an early stage.

4 hours ago, Halliphax said:

Nope boyce behind all day 

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Good man

They have a couple of good players that are confirmed as such and then a whole bunch of confirmed average fodder and a pile of new signings that we do not really know much about

Good - Marshall and Cadden 

Average - too many to mention

Poor - too many to mention

Unknowns - too many to mention

We have Forrest Halkett Shankland McKay Grant Boyce Devlin Haring Gordon and Kingsley who we absolutely know are better than any of their known opposite numbers

It will take a lot  of Hibs new boys to turn out to be un expected really good players or some officiating shenanigans for them to be the better team for the majority of the 90 minutes

We are winning this

If we go 343 we are not winning this 

gordon 

smith halkett Kingsley Cochrane 

Devlin grant 

Forrest Boyce Mackay 

Shanks 

1 hour ago, cookieboy said:

and Hibs get awarded the points cos we play Alan Forrest's brother James who is a Celtic player

FFS. Thats a howler 😂

42 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Kingsley back in training today. 

Expect he will start on Sunday 

Terrific news!

43 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

that’s great news

1 hour ago, NB GIN said:

If we go 343 we are not winning this 

gordon 

smith halkett Kingsley Cochrane 

Devlin grant 

Forrest Boyce Mackay 

Shanks 

that’s my team too.  Up front the movement should cause them real problems. 
I’d love to play Halliday though and do think Robbie will start him

24 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

haha can't believe no-one seen it 

Dont mention it again. I think I got away with it. 

They will try and kick us off the park. We will need a bit of steel in the middle. Different games require different set ups. Forest had a good game against RC, don’t think against the wee team we can play him and McKay. Kingsley may also be out..my team assuming no Kingsley.

Gordon

Smith Halkett Rowles Cochrane 

Haring Devlin

Boyce Grant McKay 

Shankland

Sub4TiddlerMurray

Boyce has to start for me. Last week we couldn’t hold the ball or win headers high up the park until he came on. 

If Kingsley is fit to play, I'm going for:

Gordon

Halkett   Kingsley   Rowles

Natty                                   Cochrane 

Haring       Devlin

Forrest           Boyce        McKay 

Edited by Sub4TiddlerMurray
jeez, I picked 12 at first. Team selection is getting harder

2 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Boyce has to start for me. Last week we couldn’t hold the ball or win headers high up the park until he came on. 

Gordon

Haring       Devlin

That's a very strong looking line up and judging from comments frequently posted on here last season, 1 don't think any of them, like GMS, would be posted missing.

Have the strongest of strong feelings Shankland will score at least one.

7 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Gordon

Haring       Devlin

I think Boyce will start but also, so will Shankland.

Would be inclined to use the 4-2-3-1 on Sunday.

Gordon 

Atkinson (RB)

Halkett and Rowles (CB)

Kingsley, if fit (LB)(Cochrane if not)

Haring and Grant (CM)

Mckay, Forrest and Boyce (AM)

Shankland (CF)

Bazzas right boot
14 hours ago, Sooks said:

How many things does he have to achieve before you give him credit for being a good manager

until last season it was people saying his record against them was poor

He did not win big games

he never does any thing in the cups

Not won in Glasgow. 

Nae yoof being played. 

And Ofc not won a cup. 

They must have a list to work down, it's getting pretty thin tho. 

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

I think Boyce will start but also, so will Shankland.

Would be inclined to use the 4-2-3-1 on Sunday.

Gordon 

Atkinson (RB)

Halkett and Rowles (CB)

Kingsley, if fit (LB)(Cochrane if not)

Haring and Grant (CM)

Mckay, Forrest and Boyce (AM)

Shankland (CF)

I'd like that as well, maybe Smith at rb in a 4.

4 minutes ago, Gorgieshed said:

What's the update with Kingsley?

11 hours ago, GBJambo said:

🙄

28 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yeah - Smith at RB would also work. Certainly offers a bit more defensively (appreciate Atkinson is still developing that side of his game).

Sub4TiddlerMurray
47 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Smith had a great game in the friendly against Stoke but he wasn’t anywhere close to being that effective against Ross C. He was too slow to react and play forward passes from midfield last week. The midfield only started working when Grant came on. And, as I remember it, when Smith moved to RWB our attacking intent on the right flank dried up. Personally, I think he is losing his SPFL level edge and should only get in the team as back up to Natty. I would also prefer Pollock or his namesake Connor as back up in midfield.

Bazzas right boot
38 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Smith had a great game in the friendly against Stoke but he wasn’t anywhere close to being that effective against Ross C. He was too slow to react and play forward passes from midfield last week. The midfield only started working when Grant came on. And, as I remember it, when Smith moved to RWB our attacking intent on the right flank dried up. Personally, I think he is losing his SPFL level edge and should only get in the team as back up to Natty. I would also prefer Pollock or his namesake Connor as back up in midfield.

Maybe 

But in a 4 Smith being more defensive let's Kingsley go forward on the other side a bit more. 

Aki in a back 4 is a bit wasted, he's better going forward and not as good a defender as Smith. 

Playing Kingsley and Aki exposes a back 2 far too much and Aki is imo a rwb, not a fb. 

I'd be suprised if we played 2 at the back with Kingsley and Aki as the full backs, we'd be asking to get picked off imo. 

Unless we play Haring as the anchor man, but even then we'd be very narrow and still exposed down the sides like v RC, maybe more so. 

IMO In a back 4 Smith for me, in a back 3 Aki. 

OmiyaHearts

I'd like to see Shankland and Boyce both start, but I don't expect it.

If we can actually get the ball to Shanks when he's facing the goal, we might threaten. Boyce works well with his back to goal and holding up, so they could work well together.

No Smith in midfield please.

Whatever the selection, I can't see us losing. 

8 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I'd like to see Shankland and Boyce both start, but I don't expect it.

If we can actually get the ball to Shanks when he's facing the goal, we might threaten. Boyce works well with his back to goal and holding up, so they could work well together.

No Smith in midfield please.

Whatever the selection, I can't see us losing. 

I think I'd like to see that from time to time, defintiely.  Hope it isn't a Shanks OR Boycie type scenario.  Perhaps it is at the moment as they're our only CFs, so we kind of need to have one on the bench to cover the other.  But going forward (in both senses) Boycie is such a good player and hard worker, I'd like to see him in the 10 role or up top with Shanks from time to time.

It's bandied around on here so so much but I just can't see past 4231 being best to fit our best players in their best positions.  Can't argue with the success rate of 343  of course, so no complaints, I just think it could do us a favour.  Only issue which is slight is Cochrane is on good form and a cracking player and I think he's the one to lose out in a 4231 if all fit.  That's a strong bench though

I think Rangers and Motherwell would both have won the European ties in another month so the lack of competitive games will not help us. Ironically Gordon complained about playing us early when it probably gives them the best advantage. I still think an early goal for Hearts and they will implode. 

Bazzas right boot
52 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I think I'd like to see that from time to time, defintiely.  Hope it isn't a Shanks OR Boycie type scenario.  Perhaps it is at the moment as they're our only CFs, so we kind of need to have one on the bench to cover the other.  But going forward (in both senses) Boycie is such a good player and hard worker, I'd like to see him in the 10 role or up top with Shanks from time to time.

It's bandied around on here so so much but I just can't see past 4231 being best to fit our best players in their best positions.  Can't argue with the success rate of 343  of course, so no complaints, I just think it could do us a favour.  Only issue which is slight is Cochrane is on good form and a cracking player and I think he's the one to lose out in a 4231 if all fit.  That's a strong bench though

Agreed. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Maybe 

But in a 4 Smith being more defensive let's Kingsley go forward on the other side a bit more. 

Aki in a back 4 is a bit wasted, he's better going forward and not as good a defender as Smith. 

Playing Kingsley and Aki exposes a back 2 far too much and Aki is imo a rwb, not a fb. 

I'd be suprised if we played 2 at the back with Kingsley and Aki as the full backs, we'd be asking to get picked off imo. 

Unless we play Haring as the anchor man, but even then we'd be very narrow and still exposed down the sides like v RC, maybe more so. 

IMO In a back 4 Smith for me, in a back 3 Aki. 

I love him as a player and he's been a great asset to Hearts for years now, but his ageing body is catching up with him. Even as a defender I'm not sure he's at the level we need anymore.