Tifo - Drew Busby

This is My Story Podcast

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, TorinoJambo said:

Tifo is the Italian word for fan. If that helps.

A bit. But is it Italian for a card display too? Seems a tad "pretentiozo"(?) to me. Not a word Drew would have used surely.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• This is My Story Podcast

• japanjambo

• been here before

• Wee Mikey

TorinoJambo
50 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

A bit. But is it Italian for a card display too? Seems a tad "pretentiozo"(?) to me. Not a word Drew would have used surely.

I did Italian at school and uni way back and like Torino. In my experience Italian fans don't use the term tifo like we do here. Fanbase is "tifoseria". I think they use "displaciamento" meaning display.

Jambo 4 Ever
On 08/07/2022 at 22:34, This is My Story Podcast said:

Hi guys. 

we have been given permission by the club to have a tifo display to honour the late great Drew Busby for the opening game of the season. 

The plan would be to use the Wheatfield stand for the display. Once we reach our target, we can share the idea and hopefully some mock ups of what it’ll look like. 

Started the go fund me 8 hours ago and all ready over £700 been donated 👏🏻👏🏻

🇱🇻

https://www.gofundme.com/f/drew-busby-memorial-tifo-display

How do you work out which seats to put the different colours on to make it work?

been here before
8 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

How do you work out which seats to put the different colours on to make it work?

tenor.gif.5f8ebe9a8748fe763088f60846632dfa.gif

I know I shouldn't but as someone who was involved setting up.................

There was a guy sitting in the new stand with a white and red laser pen pointing it out

Jambo 4 Ever
2 minutes ago, brownkg said:

I know I shouldn't but as someone who was involved setting up.................

There was a guy sitting in the new stand with a white and red laser pen pointing it out

Why shouldn’t you? Perfectly reasonable question and interesting answer of which I’m sure many on here didn’t know 

1 minute ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Why shouldn’t you? Perfectly reasonable question and interesting answer of which I’m sure many on here didn’t know 

Q.E.D.

Francis Albert
4 hours ago, TorinoJambo said:

I did Italian at school and uni way back and like Torino. In my experience Italian fans don't use the term tifo like we do here. Fanbase is "tifoseria". I think they use "displaciamento" meaning display.

So the Italians use the Italian equivalent of the English word  "display" while instead of display some English speakers use an Italian word not used for displays at football in Italy. Makes perfect sense.

I wasted time (fortunately very little) trying to think what tifo was an anagram of.

scott herbertson
11 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

So the Italians use the Italian equivalent of the English word  "display" while instead of display some English speakers use an Italian word not used for displays at football in Italy. Makes perfect sense.

I wasted time (fortunately very little) trying to think what tifo was an anagram of.

Ifot it was an anagram of display?

agree with you on this - it was a display in honour of the Buzzbomb - not a tifo. 

been here before
17 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

3 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Ifot it was an anagram of display?

agree with you on this - it was a display in honour of the Buzzbomb - not a tifo. 

Some us were of thatopinion weeks ago...

On 09/07/2022 at 07:21, been here before said:

Used to be called a display (or similar) but thats not cool anymore.

TorinoJambo
2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

I'm a natural cynic but I think a "tifo" is one of these modern "in" words which increasingly pollute the English language. It is a person in Italian yet a display by lots of persons here now.