Johnson confidence vote is on

Geoff Kilpatrick

Francis Albert
4 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Aye. It's dead principled right enough. 

I would never suggest the Mail is principled. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Mighty Thor

• ri Alban

• jack D and coke

• Victorian

U-turn already.

Government invites Labour to re-submit the No Confidence motion, if they take out the PM from it, as he's already resigned.

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, Cade said:

U-turn already.

Government invites Labour to re-submit the No Confidence motion, if they take out the PM from it, as he's already resigned.

The point is that he hasn't actually resigned. That is what Labour is seeking to force, or alternatively have Tory MPs being seen to support him staying in office once again.

Still lying about and playing politics with the resignation that hasn't happened.  They can't change.  It's habitual.

Weakened Offender
4 hours ago, Taffin said:

There's millions in England who didn't vote Boris because they wanted a Trump (in fact, nobody voted for Boris but that's a separate thing)

You don't half post pish. 

i wish jj was my dad
5 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

:wattie:
Tell me we’re not different from them down there. 

This shoild be pinned. 

i wish jj was my dad
3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Boris Johnson blocks no confidence vote in his own government tomorrow

The Opposition planned to table the motion today - with a vote on Wednesday - after it emerged the PM would cling to office until September 5

BAL

Boris Johnson has dramatically blocked Labour's bid to hold a vote of no confidence in the Tory government.

The Opposition planned to table the motion today - with a vote on Wednesday - after it emerged the PM would cling to office until September 5.

But Downing Street has told Keir Starmer that they will not give him the time in the House of Commons for the debate and vote to go ahead.

A senior Labour source told the Mirror: "The Government is refusing to give us time for a vote of no confidence in the Commons despite all the conventions that this should be granted.

"It's just another example of them ripping up the rules to protect their own side. They're saying the PM is going anyway but they're clearly frightened of losing".

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-boris-johnson-blocks-no-27462239

Proper Democrats are those lovable Tory rascals. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
6 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Wonder why no sweaty ever gets near the top job in the conservatives. 
Eton boys wouldn’t have that. 

Funny. I thought Rifkind should have stood when Maggie left the scene. Alec Douglas-Home also gave up the Lords for a safe Scottish constituency when he became PM.

Weakened Offender
57 minutes ago, jonesy said:

In an age in which pronouns are taking centre stage, it's unsurprising that you've got it wrong. As a kindly soul, I've done you a service and fixed your post for you :) 

Pronouns aren't taking centre stage in my world but then I'm not some radge hipster clipe. 😊

i wish jj was my dad
16 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Funny. I thought Rifkind should have stood when Maggie left the scene. Alec Douglas-Home also gave up the Lords for a safe Scottish constituency when he became PM.

At least these guys were kinda honourable. Not many Tories fall into that category

Lone Striker

imo, there's 2 scenarios which would set the cat among pigeons.

a) the final 2 are both non-white    ---> Tory party members go radge and demand Boris un-resigns 

b) the final 2 are both white  ----->   the non-white candidates go radge and claim the party is racist

Either of those would be almost as good as Hearts signing a 20-goal-a-season striker !!

:robbo:

Edited by Lone Striker

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I’ve always thought rifkind an utter *****. 
His laddie seems to be quite reasonable I’ve found. He’s obviously unionist but I find him quite honest and don’t mind reading his stuff. 

i wish jj was my dad

A very quick nose holding look at the Daily Nazi and they are attacking Sunak. I'm inclined to think he might be the least harmful on that very simple calculation

i wish jj was my dad
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I’ve always thought rifkind an utter *****. 
His laddie seems to be quite reasonable I’ve found. He’s obviously unionist but I find him quite honest and don’t mind reading his stuff. 

Rifkind was part of a group of horrible b'stards. Anything that particularly stands out for him? Him and Laing appeared to restrain London as opposed to the likes of Forsyth and that hobbiril prick, Jack

jack D and coke
9 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Rifkind was part of a group of horrible b'stards. Anything that particularly stands out for him? Him and Laing appeared to restrain London as opposed to the likes of Forsyth and that hobbiril prick, Jack

Alistair Jack…

Honestly…

Bloody hell. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
5 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Penny Mordaunt has now edged into the lead as the bookies' favourite. 

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-prime-minister

State schooled and non Oxbridge which goes against the grain for that shower of mostly overprivileged tossers.

If Mordaunt wins, Labour has the next election wrapped up. Why? A certain Mr Lawson is worried about the Conservatives electing her. Kiss of death if ever there was one!

i wish jj was my dad
30 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Alistair Jack…

Honestly…

Bloody hell. 

I hope it was obvious that I consider Jack to be horrible. Even below the likes of Carmichael. If that helps.. 

Edit:I classed him with Forsyth. I don't know how else I can make my point. 

Edited by i wish jj was my dad

SwindonJambo
22 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

If Mordaunt wins, Labour has the next election wrapped up. Why? A certain Mr Lawson is worried about the Conservatives electing her. Kiss of death if ever there was one!

🤣 Not kidding. At the last GE, I dared to criticise his golden boy Jezbolah and he àsked if I had Tourettes. Having previously given him more leeway than most, my interest in anything he says on any matter fell off a cliff.

jack D and coke
9 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I hope it was obvious that I consider Jack to be horrible. Even below the likes of Carmichael. If that helps.. 

Edit:I classed him with Forsyth. I don't know how else I can make my point. 

Yeah I understood you mate 👍🏼
Galling that someone like him who’d get run out the gaff if he ever showed his face here has any control whatsoever.
What even is this union now it’s embarrassing. 

Footballfirst

Result of first round of voting

Sunak 88
Mordaunt 67

Truss 50

Badenoch 40
Tugendhat  37
Braverman 32

Eliminated

Zahawi 25

Hunt 18

Edited by Footballfirst

8 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Sunak 88
Mordaunt 67

Truss 50

Badenoch 40
Tugendhat  37
Braverman 32

Eliminated

Zahawi 25

Hunt 18

Hunt being eliminated you can imagine the sighs of relief from every political commentator/interviewer

Now just left with 6 other *****

14 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Sunak 88
Mordaunt 67

Truss 50

Badenoch 40
Tugendhat  37
Braverman 32

Eliminated

Zahawi 25

Hunt 18

Astonishing Braverman has managed to get 32 votes tbh.

Will be interesting to see who we end up lumped with. 

WorldChampions1902
23 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Sunak 88
Mordaunt 67

Truss 50

Badenoch 40
Tugendhat  37
Braverman 32

Eliminated

Zahawi 25

Hunt 18

The caller on LBC who compared this circus to, “being presented with a menu of the most undesirable diseases and having your dad order for you”, is probably the best description I have heard.

Can’t wait till we see the final menu of two desserts. Cheesecake or Cheesecake.

SwindonJambo
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Don’t know much about her but comes across well enough. 

She comes across as someone vaguely resembling a human being which none of the others do. State schooled near Southampton, went to Reading Uni and a Navy Reservist. So not part of the Eton/Winchester Oxbridge elite. For me the least bad option. She's now 3/4 on with the bookies' because she's very popular with the grass roots who have the final say. As long as no-one orchestrates a dirty tricks campaign behind the scenes (a Tory speciality) to make someone else come second then she's well out in front with Sunak dropping to 39/10 against from being favourite yesterday.

I P Knightley
56 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Sunak 88
Mordaunt 67

Truss 50

Badenoch 40
Tugendhat  37
Braverman 32

Eliminated

Zahawi 25

Hunt 18

I wouldn't be surprised if most of Chunt's votes switched over to Tommy T. Less predictable to say where the Zahawians will migrate to; probably more MissTrust than Mordaunt, is my guess. I can't really see Sunak sweeping up a lot of any of the dropouts; he could be off the top spot when it comes down to 4.

Poor old Chunt couldn't even get his 20 initial backers to vote for him.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Sounds like Truss and Sunak will be worried about the present state of play. Mordaunt has Theresa May style "momentum" right now. That worked well last time!

The Mighty Thor
30 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Sounds like Truss and Sunak will be worried about the present state of play. Mordaunt has Theresa May style "momentum" right now. That worked well last time!

If Rothermere and Murdoch want Truss then Penny Mordaunt will be painted as a crack ho by the weekend. 

You can take that to the bank. 

i wish jj was my dad
13 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

If Rothermere and Murdoch want Truss then Penny Mordaunt will be painted as a crack ho by the weekend. 

You can take that to the bank. 

Yip.  Nothing more certain

Weakened Offender
22 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

State schooled and non Oxbridge which goes against the grain for that shower of mostly overprivileged tossers.

I'll be surprised if that mob vote for any of the non-whites. 

SwindonJambo
1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

They’re actually the most ethnically diverse government ever. Rishi Sunak leads the parliamentary party vote. I can see a dirty tricks campaign to stop Mordaunt reaching the last 2. I have never and will never vote Tory but Mordaunt seems by far the least bad option to me. Once in she’ll hopefully boot Boris’s cronies out the park and bring in her own people. Still Tories yes but not the  overpriveleged elite public school self entitled zillion billionaire tossers that Boris favoured 

Geoff Kilpatrick
24 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

They’re actually the most ethnically diverse government ever. Rishi Sunak leads the parliamentary party vote. I can see a dirty tricks campaign to stop Mordaunt reaching the last 2. I have never and will never vote Tory but Mordaunt seems by far the least bad option to me. Once in she’ll hopefully boot Boris’s cronies out the park and bring in her own people. Still Tories yes but not the  overpriveleged elite public school self entitled zillion billionaire tossers that Boris favoured 

The desperation of Dorries is quite something as Boris' biggest cheerleader. She knows that whoever wins will send her straight to the backbenches so she is desperate to stay relevant somehow. Maybe Boris will line her up for a peerage with the successor to get her out of the winner's hair.

SwindonJambo
11 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The desperation of Dorries is quite something as Boris' biggest cheerleader. She knows that whoever wins will send her straight to the backbenches so she is desperate to stay relevant somehow. Maybe Boris will line her up for a peerage with the successor to get her out of the winner's hair.

That PMs can grant honours upon being ousted is a farce as is the honours system itself. Expect Boris's list to be an absolute rogues' gallery 

Weakened Offender
7 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

They’re actually the most ethnically diverse government ever. 

Big difference between this, which is true, and them voting to have a non-white PM. All them working class English red-wall voters didn't turn to the Tories for that type of thing. 😉

7 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

In practice this wont happen.  Any new PM will much more likely retain a balance of Spafferites.  No PM risks factionalising the wider party like that.  Lock out the Spafferites and you're storing up a rival wing of the party that will cause no end of trouble when the policy agenda isn't delivering for them.

9 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

What a load of shite. A few of you just desperate to make this a race issue. 

manaliveits105
26 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Seems so 

A_A wehatethehibs
26 minutes ago, Dazo said:

The thing is, you could speculate that actually slightly is a race / ethnicity issue, for the opposite reasons that fella is suggesting. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/joint-outcome-statement-india-uk-round-three-fta-negotiations

Sunak would probably become one of, if not the most famous people in India overnight should he become Prime Minister. You can’t really imagine how massive that news cycle would be in India, that an ethnic Indian will take the highest political office in Britain. It would touch a lot of people and be a pretty historic event. And massive

for “Brand Britain”, when we just so happen to be in the middle of massive trade talks with India. 

Just speculation. Maybe quite cynical

of me. But the timing is quite coincidental.

The Real Maroonblood
10 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Fair comment.