The Hampden experience

kila

We have it driven into us about the history and the 'Hampden roar'.  Reality is put 50,000 drunk Scots in any stadium and its going to be an amazing atmosphere.

Hampden, does anyone have any genuine positives to the stadium? 

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• briever

• stirlo

• John Findlay

• Ked

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, jamboozy said:

When someone farts it lingers forever, there was someone near me who, in my opinion needs medical help, I have now developed lungs like a Polynesian pearl diver by holding my breath for so long.

:lol: 

It's maybe asking a lot...but is there any chance you'd consider changing your JKB name to Polynesian pearl diver?

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
6 hours ago, OTT said:

Absolutely, never came across folk with such an inferiority complex about their city :D 

'Aw maaaatee its a glesgae thing you wudnae get it'

or 

'awww only in glesgae haw haw haw' 

'The peepul are so friendly' meanwhile on alternating weeks you've got between 50 and 60 thousand people turning their stadiums into a cathedral of hate, glorifying terrorists or promoting sectarianism. 

Its a shame the government couldn't just step on and be adults here. Build a purpose built stadium for both football and rugby. Sell both and and have a stadium that everyone can be proud of. 

The patters jus so so Gid in Glasgow BTW man... 

Every glaswegian thinks they're a stand up comedian. It's so cringe. It's as if they feel the need to play up to the joker act aswell. 

Yes Billy connolly was from Glasgow and yes he was a comedy genius. But you're not Billy connolly pal. You're "Boab" the glaswegian taxi driver.

So far I've found the so called famous "patter" to be absolutely sh*** tbh and not in the least bit funny. 

Edited by Rudi5kaceldream1ng
5-1

cosanostra

At the Scotland v Lithuania game where Miko dived, some kilted, drunk cretin behind me fully shat himself. They were a bunch of goons from Aberdeen.

It was absolutely foul. He left at half time along with his mates but he neglected to take his Greyfriars with him.

We managed to move forward about 5 or 6 rows to get out of the fallout zone.

Seen a fair bit of this type of behaviour at Scotland games over the years. 😂

10 hours ago, kila said:

What has the SFA actually done to it since buying it?

There's holes in the roof and the toilets are still a disgrace for starters...

The whole place needs demolished and a new fit for purpose stadium built in its place or better still a all new more accessible location with better car and coach parking. 

7 hours ago, Boof said:

:lol: 

It's maybe asking a lot...but is there any chance you'd consider changing your JKB name to Polynesian pearl diver?

Actually, that is a good shout.😂

There is no experience 

No entertainment of any sort before KO 

No entertainment at half time 

No money spend by sfa except ribbons to stick on the cup at end.

Must be the lowest budget spent on a big sporting event in the world of sport 

27 minutes ago, Rockwell said:

There is no experience 

No entertainment of any sort before KO 

No entertainment at half time 

No money spend by sfa except ribbons to stick on the cup at end.

Must be the lowest budget spent on a big sporting event in the world of sport 

Compare it to the fa cup final and all of the entertainment before the game. All about the sfa blazers and making sure they are looked after. Even if they played a hearts song then a rangers song before a game 

the toilets in the east stand were a disgrace. Layout was pure chaos

Edited by Newton51

10 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

I've been at 7 out of the 9 cup finals (wee and big cups) we've been in since 1986. I've used the train for at least part of my travels for them all. ScotRail were absolutely abysmal today and the worst I've ever experienced for a football occasion anywhere. The trains were all going to Mount Florida with supporters mixed when I left Glasgow Central at 2 ish. Our train was stationery in the middle of nowhere for no reason for at least 10 minutes before we waded past the Rangers End to our end, taking up our seats at about 10 to 3. Luckily the atmosphere between the supports was reasonably friendly  but on another day may not have been.

Loads of trains back to Edinburgh from Queen Street after the game were cancelled, meaning that what few there were, were absolutely rammed to the roof.

I understand the FM recently said we have a model railway system. After today's clusterfork, I think we might actually be better off with a model railway. 

You ever used Southern Rail : - o

The SFA, Scotrail & Police failed miserably in their organisation.

To announce extra trains & extra carriages from Glasgow Central was selective with the truth. Hearts enter station one entrance & travel to Kings Park, Rangers fans use separate entrance & travel to Mount Florida. Sadly Hearts endorsed this advice by publishing it, although I do understand that’s in the instruction of (& to cooperate with) the authorities.

The reality:- extra trains were for Rangers fans exclusively to Mount Florida. The extra carriages were on the usual service train to Kings Park which also stopped at Mount Florida, on these trains there was no segregation.

Post match from Kings Park just normal service, trains every 30 minutes. Fortunately I got the 17:59 and caught my connecting transport.

Verdict

SFA = Glasgow FA

Scotrail = Glasgow Rail

Scottish Police = Glasgow Police

Conclusion

Scottish authorities need to ‘step up a gear’ they’re trailing behind the rest of the UK in standards

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Post match from Kings Park just normal service, trains every 30 minutes. Fortunately I got the 17:59 and caught my connecting transport.

We couldn't get on that so faced with the half hour wait for the next one, we decided to try get a bus...big mistake. Sat in traffic for about an hour!!! Eventually got back to Kirkcaldy at 10pm. 😡

And yeah, going through to Hampden...couldn't get on the 1:45pm. Told us (and they saw it was mostly Hearts fans) the next one was at 2:04pm. Turned out that was to Mount Florida so train was mixed and it stalled inbetween stations for about 10mins. Then, faced with having to walk right around to get to our area of the North stand...I was exhausted before the game had even begun. 🤣

Still never seen us win when we've had that end of the ground so I never want to be there again 🤬🖕

2 hours ago, Newton51 said:

Compare it to the fa cup final and all of the entertainment before the game. All about the sfa blazers and making sure they are looked after. Even if they played a hearts song then a rangers song before a game 

the toilets in the east stand were a disgrace. Layout was pure chaos

The toilets in the east stand (right behind the big screen) were fine except nobody used them properly. There was a clearly marked in and out door at each end of the toilet but at half time everybody was fighting their way in and out of both doors. If they had used them properly they would have worked perfectly well. At least the toilet wasn't full of smokers this time. 

SwindonJambo
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

You ever used Southern Rail : - o

A mate of mine used to commute into London daily with them. He never stopped moaning about them. They're bloody expensive too!

15 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Green toilet doors and around the taps is so embarrassing

It would help if some of our more moronic element could understand with In and Out means - fecking idiots.

4 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

A mate of mine used to commute into London daily with them. He never stopped moaning about them. They're bloody expensive too!

Making it up as they go a long for over a decade : - D

Our bus had  pub especially booked in the west end of glasgow, proper nice pub, charged 4 quid for a square sausage on a roll.

The gents consisted of two urinals and a cubicle, I needed a jobby so I went into the cubicle and gave it my all. The stench of my toley was so bad that i could hear urinal users coughing and gasping for breath, I even heard the comment "ffs who's in there?" 

I waited for 10 minuites for the crowd to disperse, so that I could emerge unscathed, instead I was outed and publicly shamed. 

Terrible weekend

15 hours ago, Ked said:

Again pish talk

The march into town from Hampden certainly suggests it's a shitehole - I never thought I would see a city with worse road than Embra, but I have.  Then of course you get into the Merchant City and its a completely different place.

OmiyaHearts

Amount of people on here with a chip on the shoulder about Glasgow is unreal😄

The only people you ever hear comparing the cities are from Edinburgh, no one else cares. So I assume there is some sort of envy or jealousy from the East? Not sure what it is but posters on here really get their back up about a city. It's really weird.

And no one in Glasgow says 'Glasgae'. It's Glasgow or Glesga.

Hampden is a pish stadium though. No doubt about that.

I did my 10,000 steps walking from where we parked the car to the ground and back again (OK, we went a wee bit off track so should have been 8000) couple that with having to stand all game and I was knackered at the end of it all. I was so glad that my son was driving or I would have struggled. I really don't get why everybody has to stand when there are seats. The irony was that at half time everybody sat down for a rest then stood up again for the second half. Thankfully this doesn't happen at Tynecastle so why does everybody have to stand at Hampden and other away grounds?

SwindonJambo
3 minutes ago, briever said:

It would help if some of our more moronic element could understand with In and Out means - fecking idiots.

Totally agree with you on this. I was East Upper Tier and between FT and start of ET, there were queues at both Entrance and Exit, the latter clearly marked with a ref roadsign style no entry sign.

Nelly Terraces

The place should be bulldozed. It's a complete dump. Stands as the perfect totem for Scottish football mind you, just totally shite on every level.

7 minutes ago, 1953 said:

I did my 10,000 steps walking from where we parked the car to the ground and back again (OK, we went a wee bit off track so should have been 8000) couple that with having to stand all game and I was knackered at the end of it all. I was so glad that my son was driving or I would have struggled. I really don't get why everybody has to stand when there are seats. The irony was that at half time everybody sat down for a rest then stood up again for the second half. Thankfully this doesn't happen at Tynecastle so why does everybody have to stand at Hampden and other away grounds?

Because if you dont stand and you're in the front 12 rows you wouldn't see the game.

SwindonJambo
2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

It desperately needs knocked down and rebuilt with the right infrastructure for fans put in place. 

Like many Jambos, I had to get off at Mount Florida and walk past the Rangers End. Why oh why has the narrow footbridge bridge leading from the platform to street level never been replaced with a much wider one? It wouldn't cost the Earth. Quite apart from the stadium itself the infrastructure around it is embarrassing and hasn't changed in decades. I came back from Kings Park but the train called at all stops en route to Glasgow Central including Mount Florida where some dickhead huns tried to board our already rammed train. 

They really need to rip it up and start again and bring it into 21st century. 

Bazzas right boot

Shite 

I hate it. 

I hate the travel and the stadium is a shit hole. 

Parkhead, Ibrox and Murrayfield are all better. 

It's also small. 

14 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Our bus had  pub especially booked in the west end of glasgow, proper nice pub, charged 4 quid for a square sausage on a roll.

The gents consisted of two urinals and a cubicle, I needed a jobby so I went into the cubicle and gave it my all. The stench of my toley was so bad that i could hear urinal users coughing and gasping for breath, I even heard the comment "ffs who's in there?" 

I waited for 10 minuites for the crowd to disperse, so that I could emerge unscathed, instead I was outed and publicly shamed. 

Terrible weekend

On that tangent, I once immediately followed a cute young woman who had just used the (shared) restaurant toilet on a works night out only to find a giant unflushable log. I kept that to myself but could never speak to her again without flashing back to her humongous deposit.

Edited by Wee Mikey

Cup final programme had in its opening pages a full picture of a glaikit looking rod petrie.

We jumped on the train from Central to King's Park only to be told of at Mount florida.

No big deal as its actually better but could have been perhaps a source of bother.

What I noticed were portaloos outside the stadium on approach.

Once at our end I didn't see any.

Asda car park seems to be the go to place along with the shop itself for a piss.

Absolutely no attempt to make the approach a place where people could sit and use toilet facilities .

Snack bars is about it .

Trains back.

The standard of carriages is really poor.

The Scottish government are on a hiding to nothing taking on this lot.

I really like Glasgow City centre.

It's a great day out that's badly let down by our national game.

I wouldn't want football held at murrayfield but someone has to drag all this into shape.

Rod Petrie as the pin up boy at the start of the programme tells me we are stuck with this for a while.

28 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

The only people you ever hear comparing the cities are from Edinburgh, no one else cares. So I assume there is some sort of envy or jealousy from the East? Not sure what it is but posters on here really get their back up about a city. It's really weird.

I love slagging the weejies.

But Glasgow City centre is quality.

Been a while since I had a night out through there.

But on a shite day for football and travel I ate well and enjoyed the drink pre and post match.

Some darlings kicking about as well.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Ked said:

I love slagging the weejies.

But Glasgow City centre is quality.

Been a while since I had a night out through there.

But on a shite day for football and travel I ate well and enjoyed the drink pre and post match.

Some darlings kicking about as well.

What about the females?

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

What about the females?

Some real tidies about the town post match.

I'm spoken for though so had to politely decline

😁

30 minutes ago, briever said:

Because if you dont stand and you're in the front 12 rows you wouldn't see the game.

I agree that the sightlines are abysmal. But if everyone sat, the view would be much the same.

The solution is to have safe standing areas. Then everyone's happy.

I won the 'let ticket master choose your seat' lottery yesterday. Back row of North Stand. Nearly as good as it gets.

50 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Terrible weekend

🤣🤣🤣

16 hours ago, OTT said:

Absolutely, never came across folk with such an inferiority complex about their city :D 

'Aw maaaatee its a glesgae thing you wudnae get it'

or 

'awww only in glesgae haw haw haw' 

'The peepul are so friendly' meanwhile on alternating weeks you've got between 50 and 60 thousand people turning their stadiums into a cathedral of hate, glorifying terrorists or promoting sectarianism. 

Its a shame the government couldn't just step on and be adults here. Build a purpose built stadium for both football and rugby. Sell both and and have a stadium that everyone can be proud of. 

Yeah the government could build a new stadium.... maybe once they get the 2 very late and massively over budget ferries completed? 😃

132goals1958
16 hours ago, Squirt said:

Apart from the distance to the pitch and the fact that it’s decidedly unimpressive to look at I actually don’t think it’s that bad.  

Having lived in Edinburgh and Glasgow as well I don’t really get the hate for Glasgow tbh. Outside of the football bubble it’s got some class wee venues, good bars and restaurants and the people genuinely are pretty sound for the most part. Every area has it’s dregs, Edinburgh included.

I accept my eyes are deteriorating especially at my age but sitting in row vv behind the goals merited a set of binoculars.

gashauskis9

Shithole.  Full stop.  A couple of poky wee stations servicing 40k folk and 0% chance of a taxi.  45 min+ walk back into the centre through Basra, to then be queued like cattle onto a train whilst non-football fans are treated like royalty.  

Harry Potter
17 hours ago, kila said:

What has the SFA actually done to it since buying it?

There's holes in the roof and the toilets are still a disgrace for starters...

Mind going to the 2013 cup final, (league cup)by the time i got in my Dm boots were covered in mud from the surrounding grass areas🙁.

The Real Maroonblood
23 minutes ago, Ked said:

Some real tidies about the town post match.

I'm spoken for though so had to politely decline

😁

👍

Percival King

There's zero pre-match entertainment at Hampden now to encourage folk to turn up early. I think the SFA have got lazy and think it's okay to put a 5 minute on the big screen. Then again, historically we'd have a pipe band and I wonder how many folk would want that their days.

1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Hampden is a total dump and the "upgrade" which was just a case of putting in plastic seats was a feckin joke. The SFA was reportedly cash-rich back then so feck knows what the money was squandered on.

Glasgow as a whole is a dump as well. 

One thing though, I was once told that there's more fun at a Glasgow funeral than at an Edinburgh wedding. Having been to both I'd say that's true 

Rocky jamboa

It's a dreadful stadium for watching football. The terraces are not steep enough so despite being 25 rows back, i had an horrendous view and couldn't really see what was going on at the far end. The space behind the goals is too big. It took an hour for our bus to get from the hampden car park to the motorway and other times I've been through on public transport, that's been hopeless as well. Usually end up walking an hour back into Glasgow. 

Sticking with hampden was the wrong option.

Italian Lambretta

The mere fact the still refer to both end as the Rangers and Sellick ends in this day and age shows the SFA and Hampden are not fit for purpose. It was built for the ugly sisters over a 100 years ago and nothing has changed. Time to knock it down and build a new one that's not built for that scum and in a place that has good transport links

doctor jambo

The solution would be a 70k stadium at heartlands or there abouts.

Somewhere down the M8.

Hampden is utterly rubbish and too small to boot 

It’s a historical issue that the SFA made a mess of things when it was possible to get money to rebuild or improve national stadiums. Hampden actually got more public money than the Welsh got for the Millenium stadium but they used it better and got a world class stadium that will stand the test of time by working with private partners. We got the South Stand. 

Just now, doctor jambo said:

The solution would be a 70k stadium at heartlands or there abouts.

Somewhere down the M8.

Hampden is utterly rubbish and too small to boot 

Terrible idea! What train would you catch to there?

SectionDJambo

The “new National Stadium” Hampden was a cheap upgrade through a determination to keep Scotland’s neutral venue for cup finals and international matches in Glasgow. 

The worse thing about the whole set up is the travel access to it. It’s always been a problem when there’s a big game on there and it’s got worse over the years. If you’re going to discourage car driving you need to provide increased cheap public transport or adequate parking for buses that doesn’t involve a 2 mile walk to the stadium.

I’m old enough to have been in a crowd of 134,000 at Hampden. Getting out and home was a problem back then too, but it’s no better or maybe even worse now that the capacity is less than half of that.

It’s all been planned for the convenience of Glasgow football fans and the useless blazers who want everything based in Glasgow.

I came across the usual “jobs worthy” senior steward pre match. I was in the South Stand, so after trudging up to East Stand found I could not go round the back unlike the set up behind the West stand.

After the diversion through a car park & another 1/2 mile trip, I approached the turnstiles. Noted which ones I could use, I got to the stairway & politely showed my ticket, only to be told the stairs were for “exit only”🤣. I replied the game does not even start for another 90 minutes!! No, you need to go round that way as he pointed to stairway about another 100 yards away. 

I reached the turnstiles with any 1 of 8 to choose from as I was the only fan there at the time.

Sorry for long winded post, but shows complete lack of common sense.

Travelling by car from Dunfermline, I normally go over Kingston Bridge to use M77 J1 to park around Queen’s Park. Fortunately I encountered a fellow Jambo’s car with scarf flying from passenger window on M80 around Cumbernauld. This gentleman obviously knew where he was going & I tagged along behind to park off Prospecthill Road. My Thanks are due to him👍.

Travel back was at an almost standstill until getting through Rutherglen High Street, albeit I’m glad I was using Kincardine Bridge route rather than M8.

Despite being in RowX midpoint to halfway line, the sight line is stilly iffy! Did not realise Ellis had hit the post in first 10 minutes which turned out to be a potential game changer!

Hampden, it is what it is, however will be back for latter stages of both Cups next season😎

1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

To be fair there's always been a fair bit of rivalry between Edinburgh and Glasgow. You could hardly have two more different cities within 50 miles of each other than Edinburgh and Glasgow, but they're both great cities in their own way IMO.

As for Hampden, I think almost all of us can agree it's a disgrace of a stadium. Murrayfield should be the national stadium IMO. For a country of Scotland's size it's ridiculous having two national stadiums. Murrayfield is a much better stadium and also a far better location in terms of transport links and getting in and out of. Unfortunately there's very little chance of the SFA and SRU agreeing on one stadium in the foreseeable future.

been here before
1 hour ago, briever said:

How does that explain the need to stand at every away game?

Bret the Hitman Hearts
13 hours ago, FWJ said:

Glasgow is …. ok.  Just okay, like Leeds or Sheffield.  It’s meh. 
It’s not quite the dismal dump that some might think, but it’s nothing special.  Yeah, there are some nice places to eat and drink, but in a city of 1m+ you’d kinda hope so.

Hampden, though, is s**t.  It’s a saucer in the middle of the ‘burbs.  Like having the national football stadium in, I dunno - Morningside.

Morningside is reasonably close to the city centre.

Hampden is more like having a national stadium in Burdiehouse