The Hampden experience

kila

3 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Amount of people on here with a chip on the shoulder about Glasgow is unreal😄

The only people you ever hear comparing the cities are from Edinburgh, no one else cares. So I assume there is some sort of envy or jealousy from the East? Not sure what it is but posters on here really get their back up about a city. It's really weird.

And no one in Glasgow says 'Glasgae'. It's Glasgow or Glesga.

Hampden is a pish stadium though. No doubt about that.

As John Mcenroe once said you cannot be serious an absolute barry white hole compared to Scotland's capital 

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• briever

• stirlo

• John Findlay

• Ked

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Voxpop said:

not really interested in that.  The history is at hampden.

As Rangers have already demonstrated, Hampden's 'old' history can simply be transferred to the 'new' 👍

Edited by kila

1 hour ago, briever said:

By a weegie not doubt, Weegies are like Londoners, they will never tire of telling you how brilliant they are.

Correct salt of the earth AYE RIGHT

pettigrewsstylist
22 hours ago, OTT said:

Absolutely, never came across folk with such an inferiority complex about their city :D 

'Aw maaaatee its a glesgae thing you wudnae get it'

or 

'awww only in glesgae haw haw haw' 

'The peepul are so friendly' meanwhile on alternating weeks you've got between 50 and 60 thousand people turning their stadiums into a cathedral of hate, glorifying terrorists or promoting sectarianism. 

Its a shame the government couldn't just step on and be adults here. Build a purpose built stadium for both football and rugby. Sell both and and have a stadium that everyone can be proud of. 

Im not sure Scottish Rugby want the riff raff anywhere near their flagship on permanent basis though.

5 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Im not sure Scottish Rugby want the riff raff anywhere near their flagship on permanent basis though.

Depends on how their coffers are doing

heatonjambo

Hampden and the whole experience is appalling for a National stadium in this day and age. Look at wales and Ireland for national stadiums for nations of a similar size.

it is unacceptable to have to spend 35 minutes to walk to a ground having to book a car parking space on someone’s drive, or wait 35 minutes to get an over crowded train from the city centre, to then arrive at the ground to be greeted by bored police, outside an overgrown I’ll-laid out bus park, were drivers (attempting to park) actually hit people, to then be mis-directed through a housing estate, to a needless que because there are not enough turnstiles.

Then go to your seat and have to stand for the entire match regardless of age or physical capability, because the first 15 rows can’t see the pitch if they don’t stand.

you arrive, hear your team name miss-prounonced, with no pre-match entertainment, and mentioned second, though you are the home team, sitting at the end of the ground known as the Celtic end.

you then watch the game through binoculars because the gradient of the stand is sh1t and too far from the pitch to know what is happening at the other end.

at halftime you que for 20 minutes for a p1ss, being abused by the police.

at the end of the match it takes you 3 hours to get home. A journey that should take only 90 minutes max.

but hey hampden has history likesy 

Go on the interactive website. They couldn’t even arsed to do a 3D tour on a sunny day or around the full extent of the ground.

glasgow. Bitter their not the capital so Scottish football suffers with a sh1t stadium, corrupt referees and an organisation that exists for the benefit of two clubs.

it’s appalling and shouldn’t be accepted, but as a nation on such matters we are so insular and backward.

nuts

frankblack

I was stuck in the corner with a grasshopper's view of the pitch over the advertising hoardings.  I couldn't judge the perspective to tell if a player was 10 yards from goal or 40 at the other end.

gashauskis9
5 hours ago, Squirt said:

Hope that to be the case but seems to have been used as a way of showcasing the negative aspects of the area. I believe the area in question is the most multicultural area in all of Scotland, which I think is a positive.

Anyway, not a debate I want to start on a Sunday afternoon. 

You’re so overthinking this my friend.  

Theme From Sparta F.C.
20 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I didn't smell it but we were in G4 KK, wife moved out to the aisle and said it was like someone had shit themselves

Maybe someone had problems with their Stoma Bag?

We were in H3, Upper Main Stand. And it was a good viewing experience.

The best i've had in all my visits to that dump. My first was in 1974.

They really need to redevelope the three old terracings and make it as good as the Main Stand.

The first thing they should do is build the East and West Stands closer to the pitch.

But the SFA are skint. So we're stuck with it for the foreseeable future....

5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I was stuck in the corner with a grasshopper's view of the pitch over the advertising hoardings.  I couldn't judge the perspective to tell if a player was 10 yards from goal or 40 at the other end.

Would've thought you had a prime view going by your posts on the tactics thread :whistling:

frankblack
Just now, kila said:

Would've thought you had a prime view going by your posts on the tactics thread :whistling:

Even Stevie Wonder could see our team was full of players playing through injury or not fully fit, and the bench had no options to change the play.  Perhaps you know of other fit players we could have brought in?🤷‍♀️

AuldReekiee

When you get a better view of the pitch in places like the Tony Macaroni stadium than you do in substantial amounts of seats in the national stadium then you need to be asking questions. 

Meanwhile, in Wales:

image_2022-05-22_191857157.png

1 hour ago, heatonjambo said:

Hampden and the whole experience is appalling for a National stadium in this day and age. Look at wales and Ireland for national stadiums for nations of a similar size.

it is unacceptable to have to spend 35 minutes to walk to a ground having to book a car parking space on someone’s drive, or wait 35 minutes to get an over crowded train from the city centre, to then arrive at the ground to be greeted by bored police, outside an overgrown I’ll-laid out bus park, were drivers (attempting to park) actually hit people, to then be mis-directed through a housing estate, to a needless que because there are not enough turnstiles.

Then go to your seat and have to stand for the entire match regardless of age or physical capability, because the first 15 rows can’t see the pitch if they don’t stand.

you arrive, hear your team name miss-prounonced, with no pre-match entertainment, and mentioned second, though you are the home team, sitting at the end of the ground known as the Celtic end.

you then watch the game through binoculars because the gradient of the stand is sh1t and too far from the pitch to know what is happening at the other end.

at halftime you que for 20 minutes for a p1ss, being abused by the police.

at the end of the match it takes you 3 hours to get home. A journey that should take only 90 minutes max.

but hey hampden has history likesy 

Go on the interactive website. They couldn’t even arsed to do a 3D tour on a sunny day or around the full extent of the ground.

glasgow. Bitter their not the capital so Scottish football suffers with a sh1t stadium, corrupt referees and an organisation that exists for the benefit of two clubs.

it’s appalling and shouldn’t be accepted, but as a nation on such matters we are so insular and backward.

nuts

Spot on mate.

On 21/05/2022 at 19:34, doctor jambo said:

I was in the upper deck and it’s really nice, but it’s in a shit hole, poor access, miles from the pitch.

Should be knocked down and moved somewhere else 70k stadium, not in glasgow

Not a chance! The Weegies dominate Scottish football from top to bottom! 🤷‍♂️

The infrastructure is terrible but the organisation doesn't help.  

Utter gridlock trying to get away after the game while pockets of police stand chatting on street corners watching traffic lights change .

Absolutely zero organisation or game plan getting buses out onto the motorways .

1 minute ago, ramrod said:

Utter gridlock trying to get away after the game while pockets of police stand chatting on street corners watching traffic lights change .

Absolutely zero organisation or game plan getting buses out onto the motorways .

They cant even cut the grass around the place.  It's like nobody gives a shit.

frankblack
3 minutes ago, ramrod said:

I've been to gigs at Hampden and buses parked in the car park and it took an hour to exit the car park because the police wouldn't assist the car park to empty by holding back other traffic.  Complete shitshow.

In more recent gigs the buses make sure they don't get caught up in that car park and park somewhere on a side street.

8 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Amount of people on here with a chip on the shoulder about Glasgow is unreal😄

The only people you ever hear comparing the cities are from Edinburgh, no one else cares. So I assume there is some sort of envy or jealousy from the East? Not sure what it is but posters on here really get their back up about a city. It's really weird.

And no one in Glasgow says 'Glasgae'. It's Glasgow or Glesga.

Hampden is a pish stadium though. No doubt about that.

Do you want some vinegar to go with that salty chip? ;)

Absolute codswallop that comparisons are only one-way. Why would anyone be jealous of Glasgow when they come from Edinburgh. 🙄  

Common Glasgwegian jibes about Edinburgh:

- All fur coat & nae knickers
- Unfriendly people
- You'll have had your tea
- Your all stuck-up ***** through here (heard on an early morning commuter train when a Glasgwegian banter merchant tried cracking his patter to a busy carriage and no-one interacted with him).

Basically the inference is that we are a snobbish, unfriendly, unwelcoming and inhospitable lot. Nothing could be further from the truth. 

I like Glasgow, visit a lot for gigs as well as games but it is also one of the most parochial dumps when it comes to football. Biased, insular and petty Police who have a real problem with fans from outwith Glasgow, disinterested and often abusive stewards. If that's someone's main experience of Glasgow, you cannot blame them for not having a great opinion of the place/people. The unfair treatment was so bad that it was highlighted in the press and the club even began filming the fans experience when visiting Parkhead. The response from then Strathclyde police was bitchily blaming their heavy-handed & intolerant treatment on "provincial fans coming for a day out and not being used to the city".   

We aren't talking about bad apples or fans who couldn't hold their beer. Folk lifted at Parkhead for crimes like standing up or pointing out that their seat was missing. Folk lifted at Hampden for heinous crimes like coming off a coach with a beer can in hand, or a guy getting arrested for walking in front of a police car that was slowly driving around the outside of Hampden for example.

We've all seen and felt this treatment over the years. That level of prejudice tends to colour people's opinions on a place to the negative. 

Edited by Gizmo

Worthing Jambo
10 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

A mate of mine used to commute into London daily with them. He never stopped moaning about them. They're bloody expensive too!

£13.80 return for two on the train to Gatwick for the weekend.

Or, £78 to park the car!

Worthing Jambo
2 hours ago, briever said:

They cant even cut the grass around the place.  It's like nobody gives a shit.

That was exactly what I said, nobody appears to give a shit.

Murrayfield, while by no means perfect, is a way better stadium than Hampden in terms of viewing and facilities. But quite apart from that, in terms of access and infrastructure, it's like night and day compared with Hampden. It's on the west side of Edinburgh, therefore ideal for people coming from the west and north of Scotland, it has the tram station right in front of it - with easy access to Ingliston Park and Ride. And you've also got Haymarket station nearby.

But the debate is probably futile as it's very difficult to see the SFA agreeing to the national football stadium being in Edinburgh.  

Edited by stirlo

Independence
On 21/05/2022 at 19:48, John Findlay said:

Correct. Which is further proof of how un-neutral, this alleged neutral venue is.

Genuine question: Why do the old firm always get their traditional 'ends' at Hampden. Why is it not on the toss of a coin or do the clubs agree beforehand? The Old Firm receive a massive psychological boost by always playing with 'their' fans in 'their' end!

SwindonJambo
30 minutes ago, Worthing Jambo said:

£13.80 return for two on the train to Gatwick for the weekend.

Or, £78 to park the car!

Given those 2 choices it’s an obvious no brainer. They do decent weekend deals to put otherwise redundant rolling stock to use. It’s their offering to peak hours weekday commuters that’s their problem. Way overpriced and they have a captive market.

Worthing Jambo
13 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Given those 2 choices it’s an obvious no brainer. They do decent weekend deals to put otherwise redundant rolling stock to use. It’s their offering to peak hours weekday commuters that’s their problem. Way overpriced and they have a captive market.

Only messing 😂

only use the train when I have to.

11 hours ago, neilnunb said:

We couldn't get on that so faced with the half hour wait for the next one, we decided to try get a bus...big mistake. Sat in traffic for about an hour!!! Eventually got back to Kirkcaldy at 10pm. 😡

And yeah, going through to Hampden...couldn't get on the 1:45pm. Told us (and they saw it was mostly Hearts fans) the next one was at 2:04pm. Turned out that was to Mount Florida so train was mixed and it stalled inbetween stations for about 10mins. Then, faced with having to walk right around to get to our area of the North stand...I was exhausted before the game had even begun. 🤣

Still never seen us win when we've had that end of the ground so I never want to be there again 🤬🖕

Wow - that took a long time for a relatively short distance. I left the stadium at 5:35 just after whistle blew, and I was home in West Berkshire at 10:30pm!

If the finals were played at Wembley you would get home quicker!

Malinga the Swinga

As others have said, Hampden should be demolished. No doubt and no question.

It is a disgrace of a stadium, not fit for a club team never mind a national stadium.

This is what happens when a bitter, one city organisation is allowed to run football. 

Glasgow has no pride in Hampden, it would take care of surroundings if it did, and the situation is compounded by the behaviour of the officers from Police Scotland.

They turn a blind eye to the behaviour of their Glasgow friends while intimidating and threatening supporters from any other club.

The only defenders of this whole shitstorm are Glaswegians themselves, who refuse to see fault with their hovel of a city.

Worthing Jambo
15 minutes ago, Worthing Jambo said:

Only messing 😂

only use the train when I have to.

Just checked, it was £10.80 return for two!

As you say, no brainer!

11 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

As others have said, Hampden should be demolished. No doubt and no question.

It is a disgrace of a stadium, not fit for a club team never mind a national stadium.

This is what happens when a bitter, one city organisation is allowed to run football. 

Glasgow has no pride in Hampden, it would take care of surroundings if it did, and the situation is compounded by the behaviour of the officers from Police Scotland.

They turn a blind eye to the behaviour of their Glasgow friends while intimidating and threatening supporters from any other club.

The only defenders of this whole shitstorm are Glaswegians themselves, who refuse to see fault with their hovel of a city.

All good points!

What I was shocked at was the poor standard of all the authority run facilities & services and (having not been in Scotland much recently) how much they’ve declined over recent years. The blame clearly lies with those in charge either through incompetence or lack of funding.

This is in total contrast to the residential dwellings Kings Park area where the houses and gardens were well maintained to a high standard by the residents.

42 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

All good points!

What I was shocked at was the poor standard of all the authority run facilities & services and (having not been in Scotland much recently) how much they’ve declined over recent years. The blame clearly lies with those in charge either through incompetence or lack of funding.

This is in total contrast to the residential dwellings Kings Park area where the houses and gardens were well maintained to a high standard by the residents.

What ? 

You have issues. 

John Findlay
6 hours ago, Independence said:

Genuine question: Why do the old firm always get their traditional 'ends' at Hampden. Why is it not on the toss of a coin or do the clubs agree beforehand? The Old Firm receive a massive psychological boost by always playing with 'their' fans in 'their' end!

That's is a question for the SFA/SPFL and all the clubs.

If a venue is deemed neutral then for me what end supporters get should be done on the toss of a coin, same as changing rooms etc etc.

Alas fairness and Scottish football has never gone hand in hand, especially where two teams from Glasgow are concerned.

10 hours ago, AuldReekiee said:

When you get a better view of the pitch in places like the Tony Macaroni stadium than you do in substantial amounts of seats in the national stadium then you need to be asking questions. 

Meanwhile, in Wales:

image_2022-05-22_191857157.png

The Principality is a superb venue.

i wish jj was my dad

It's a disgrace that in 2022 Hampden is still our national stadium. The stadium and facilities are bad enough but the location and surrounding infrastructure are outrageous. And having three 50,000 plus stadiums in one city has already cost us hosting the Euros. 

We have had several opportunities to relocate in the last 30 odd years but Farry's 'Glasgow is the hub of Scottish football' still resonates when somebody like Lord Haughey will pay millions just to keep it there rather do the right thing. 

As others have said Murrayfield is a far better venue, with the facilities and infrastructure already in place. Or even better we could have purpise built something in the centre of the country like the old British Leyland site that would have been future proofed. 

With people like Petrie at the helm there's no chance of Hampden being improved.  You have to stand to see the game.  The distance from behind the goals to the pitch is a joke especially as the trajectory is low.  The only thing it has is history and tradition.  It needs to be flattened and rebuilt as a proper symmetrical stadium.  

Edited by TexasAndy

Percival King
3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

That's is a question for the SFA/SPFL and all the clubs.

If a venue is deemed neutral then for me what end supporters get should be done on the toss of a coin, same as changing rooms etc etc.

Alas fairness and Scottish football has never gone hand in hand, especially where two teams from Glasgow are concerned.

I don't agree with there being a Celtic and a The Rangers end (though some people don't believe such things exist) but I think Hampden was a neutral venue on Saturday as each team had an equal share of the tickets. I can't see what advantage The Rangers had over us in terms of the venue. It's neutrality is in doubt for lesser games. Re.the dressing rooms; it's years since I did the tour but I don't think there's a disadvantage with one of the dressing rooms. Besides, that's based on the "home" team per the draw, which fairly and squarely, was The Rangers on Saturday. 

That said, I would flatten Hampden tomorrow and built a stadium fit for the 21st century, outside Glasgow,or make do with the 3 existing stadia (including Murrayfield) if we can't afford a new stadium.. Demolishing Hampden wouldn't erase the history, we would just start a new chapter in a new stadium. Of course, it will never happen, especially the SFA bought Hampden.

21 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

On that tangent, I once immediately followed a cute young woman who had just used the (shared) restaurant toilet on a works night out only to find a giant unflushable log. I kept that to myself but could never speak to her again without flashing back to her humongous deposit.

You kept it to your self ........................................ I hope you used a zip lock bag mate

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

You kept it to your self ........................................ I hope you used a zip lock bag mate

A poor turn of phrase, or do I have it to this day in my freezer?

John Findlay
13 minutes ago, Percival King said:

I don't agree with there being a Celtic and a The Rangers end (though some people don't believe such things exist) but I think Hampden was a neutral venue on Saturday as each team had an equal share of the tickets. I can't see what advantage The Rangers had over us in terms of the venue. It's neutrality is in doubt for lesser games. Re.the dressing rooms; it's years since I did the tour but I don't think there's a disadvantage with one of the dressing rooms. Besides, that's based on the "home" team per the draw, which fairly and squarely, was The Rangers on Saturday. 

That said, I would flatten Hampden tomorrow and built a stadium fit for the 21st century, outside Glasgow,or make do with the 3 existing stadia (including Murrayfield) if we can't afford a new stadium.. Demolishing Hampden wouldn't erase the history, we would just start a new chapter in a new stadium. Of course, it will never happen, especially the SFA bought Hampden.

If Sevco had been the away team on Saturday, they would have still been given the same dressing room. Whether they are regarded as the home team or not, they always get the same dressing room. Same goes for the other lot.

When you play either the Green half or the Blue half at Hampden there is absolutely no neutrality at the stadium whatsoever.

14 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

A poor turn of phrase, or do I have it to this day in my freezer?

Roll it in glitter and mount it on a wee stand

Percival King
36 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

If Sevco had been the away team on Saturday, they would have still been given the same dressing room. Whether they are regarded as the home team or not, they always get the same dressing room. Same goes for the other lot.

When you play either the Green half or the Blue half at Hampden there is absolutely no neutrality at the stadium whatsoever.

I didn't realise that was the case with the dressing room and I would have expected home and away dressing rooms and them to be allocated in the basis of the cup draw. That said, I didn't think one dressing room would be better than the other. Regardless, for me, the stadium was neutral on Saturday and was in no way responsible for our second half and extra time performance. 

Do people think Wembley loses its neutrality when Chelsea or Arsenal play Manchester United or Liverpool?

John Findlay
14 minutes ago, Percival King said:

I didn't realise that was the case with the dressing room and I would have expected home and away dressing rooms and them to be allocated in the basis of the cup draw. That said, I didn't think one dressing room would be better than the other. Regardless, for me, the stadium was neutral on Saturday and was in no way responsible for our second half and extra time performance. 

Do people think Wembley loses its neutrality when Chelsea or Arsenal play Manchester United or Liverpool?

You're missing the point.

Unfortunately the bigot brothers are at Hampden more than any other teams in Scotland. They know they are getting the same dressing room every visit, and that their supporters are always in the same parts of the ground too. This breeds familiarity with your surroundings. Take Saturday, the teams come out and Sevco know instinctively to look left as their supporters are always there. 

Hearts players after looking left in the semi, had to look right this time in the final.

Wouldn't it be nice if it had been Sevco players that had to look right for a change.

Percival King
5 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

You're missing the point.

Unfortunately the bigot brothers are at Hampden more than any other teams in Scotland. They know they are getting the same dressing room every visit, and that their supporters are always in the same parts of the ground too. This breeds familiarity with your surroundings. Take Saturday, the teams come out and Sevco know instinctively to look left as their supporters are always there. 

Hearts players after looking left in the semi, had to look right this time in the final.

Wouldn't it be nice if it had been Sevco players that had to look right for a change.

I don't think I'm missing the point if the point is the neutrality of a stadium. I’ve said that I disagree with any club having a traditional end so I think we agree on that point, same goes for dressing rooms. Despite my strong dislike for the uglies, if they get to semis and finals more than us then they are going to be more familiar with the stadium those games are played at regardless of where that stadium is located. I don't think it makes a difference to a player what they see when they look left on entering the pitch. If we are concerned about neutrality, a League Cup semi at Easter Road against Dundee, St.Johnstone, Motherwell or ICT is less neutral than Hampden was on Saturday and I'd be surprised if we petitioned the league never to hold semis there (though they've moved away from that in recent years).

I think we agree on the solution, John, I think we just disagree on the impact of the current set up at times, which is fine 

John Findlay
23 minutes ago, Percival King said:

I don't think I'm missing the point if the point is the neutrality of a stadium. I’ve said that I disagree with any club having a traditional end so I think we agree on that point, same goes for dressing rooms. Despite my strong dislike for the uglies, if they get to semis and finals more than us then they are going to be more familiar with the stadium those games are played at regardless of where that stadium is located. I don't think it makes a difference to a player what they see when they look left on entering the pitch. If we are concerned about neutrality, a League Cup semi at Easter Road against Dundee, St.Johnstone, Motherwell or ICT is less neutral than Hampden was on Saturday and I'd be surprised if we petitioned the league never to hold semis there (though they've moved away from that in recent years).

I think we agree on the solution, John, I think we just disagree on the impact of the current set up at times, which is fine 

👍

Cruickie's Moustache
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Apparently when Sevco were working through the league they played Queens Park in 2012 and, as you say, rocked up expecting to use their 'traditional' dressing room but were told to **** off next door by the home club.

John Findlay
17 minutes ago, Cruickie's Moustache said:

Apparently when Sevco were working through the league they played Queens Park in 2012 and, as you say, rocked up expecting to use their 'traditional' dressing room but were told to **** off next door by the home club.

Well done Queens Park.

Blackford Hearts
3 hours ago, Percival King said:

When Hearts played Hibs in 2006, 2012, and 2022 (2020 was behind closed doors) we have always had the West Stand and Hibs the East, sharing North and South if they sell enough tickets. It’s not just the arse cheeks that get special treatment. No idea if we always get the same dressing room v Hibs but someone will. 
Agree 100% it should be neutral and based on home side / toss of a coin but clearly the system that is wrong for more than just the bigot twins

Scott980612

logistically a nightmare to get to and from    

For a national stadium it’s not great  

would love to see the back of it 

On 21/05/2022 at 19:32, kila said:

What has the SFA actually done to it since buying it?

There's holes in the roof and the toilets are still a disgrace for starters...

They put a nice new underground car park in for the Blazers and their mates and lots of plush offices and hospitality suites.

What did they do for the lifweblood of the game, namely the ordinary fans? absolutely nothing is the answer and there lies the problem in Scottish Football.

As long as the ruling parties at the SFA are kept happy and make sure they do everything to help Celtic and Rangers keep their monopoly on the game then they think they have done a wonderful job.