Beginning of the end for Twitter?

A Boy Named Crow

hughesie27
Just now, Ulysses said:

Can you restrict your feed to posts from people you follow?  Can you view posts in the order you want, rather than whatever the algorithm chucks at you?  I read someone saying on Bluesky last night that you see posts from everyone, regardless of who you follow, and that you can't view most recent posts at the top of your feed.

No idea about most recent "tweets" or that but the main folk have said they will feed you folk you don't follow at least at first as it helps new platforms grow.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Notts1874

• Mikey1874

• Unknown user

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Can you restrict your feed to posts from people you follow?  Can you view posts in the order you want, rather than whatever the algorithm chucks at you?  I read someone saying on Bluesky last night that you see posts from everyone, regardless of who you follow, and that you can't view most recent posts at the top of your feed.

All the info is here 

https://about.instagram.com/blog/announcements/threads-instagram-text-feature

2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

No idea about most recent "tweets" or that but the main folk have said they will feed you folk you don't follow at least at first as it helps new platforms grow.

Ewwwwwwww.

Shooter McGavin

Metas new app, Threads, seems the real deal. Carbon copy of Twitter minus all the bulls***.

Twitter could be about to join Bebo, MySpace, Vine etc

jack D and coke
47 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Metas new app, Threads, seems the real deal. Carbon copy of Twitter minus all the bulls***.

Twitter could be about to join Bebo, MySpace, Vine etc

It looks really twittery but the last fecking thing I needed in my life was another social media app..

Nobody to argue with yet either ☹️

Watt-Zeefuik
8 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

Anybody decided to give Threads a bash? 

No, but someone pointed out that the Threads app can't launch in the EU because it doesn't comport to their privacy regulations and can't be made to, and you can't get to it on a browser either, presumably because it's too easy to use browser extensions to keep a web app from rummaging through your personal files.

If you're not bothered by all that, it could be fine, but it should be widely understood as Zuckerberg making another play to get at your phone's data.

Footballfirst

Threads needs some development so that you only get the feeds that you want, rather than what the algorithms think you might want to see.

Watt-Zeefuik
26 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Threads needs some development so that you only get the feeds that you want, rather than what the algorithms think you might want to see.

Yeah, based on who's developing it and their past history, I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen. Among the many reasons I bailed on Facebook is that they very slowly but surely took away the ability to curate your own feed and gave you what they thought was good for you (effectively what they think they can sell ads best with).

Shooter McGavin
1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

No, but someone pointed out that the Threads app can't launch in the EU because it doesn't comport to their privacy regulations and can't be made to, and you can't get to it on a browser either, presumably because it's too easy to use browser extensions to keep a web app from rummaging through your personal files.

If you're not bothered by all that, it could be fine, but it should be widely understood as Zuckerberg making another play to get at your phone's data.

To be fair, when it comes to peoples personal data being collected, the horse has somewhat bolted on that one.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

If you could actually tailor the main feed, as opposed to getting hit with everything, it would be ready to go straight away.

as it is, it’s basically unusable 

Shooter McGavin

Notable people and organisations have a verified mark on their account, the rest of us don’t. Already a significant improvement.

All they need to do now is hire Tiktoks algorithm team to nail the feed.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Notable people and organisations have a verified mark on their account, the rest of us don’t. Already a significant improvement.

All they need to do now is hire Tiktoks algorithm team to nail the feed.

Tbf, hiring Twitter’s old team would work as well. 

Footballfirst
15 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Tbf, hiring Twitter’s old team would work as well. 

Bluesky might give you that once it's fully functional.

Watt-Zeefuik
45 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

To be fair, when it comes to peoples personal data being collected, the horse has somewhat bolted on that one.

Eh, it's getting better, hence why Facebook's revenue imploded after Apple started blocking their data snooping. The EU rules help everyone out too. Hence why Meta's not releasing there.

Watt-Zeefuik

Twitter suing Meta for copyright infringement. It’s a ZuckMusk showdown!!

:raging:

14 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

What a bitch Musk is.

"You hired all the employees I sacked, you can't do that"

7 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

That's not a bug, it's a feature.  ;) 

Psychedelicropcircle

How many platforms are there now to post pics of yer dinner?

Edited by Psychedelicropcircle

8 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Maybe they can settle this in their cage fight and save the courts some bother. 

JudyJudyJudy
13 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Yep 

hughesie27

Threads feels refreshing. I realised that's because there are no ads or promoted posts clogging up my timeliness. They'll come though.

Seems very bare bones. No way of seeing trending topics so it's just a stream of random and unrelated posts. Most of them from people I don't follow.

8 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Threads feels refreshing. I realised that's because there are no ads or promoted posts clogging up my timeliness. They'll come though.

Seems very bare bones. No way of seeing trending topics so it's just a stream of random and unrelated posts. Most of them from people I don't follow.

Zuckerberg says adds will start once reach 1 billion users.

So you're an early adopter.

3 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

I'm quite liking the early days chaotic feeling of it! 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

(He might have copyright problems)

But this is his new suggested name

20230724_175410.jpg

Indeed, I don't think it will take long for Xzibit's lawyers to get in touch. 

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

The block option is being removed by Elon in his latest move to make Twitter/X a cesspit that no-one wants to continue using

Looks like this may not happen. Apparently for the app to be available an the Apple App Store and Google Play it needs to have a block option. Rules they have for social media apps. 

The Mighty Thor
20 minutes ago, escobri said:

He's back. 🍿 

The half-witted, conspiracy swallowing, racist incels will be ecstatic. 

• 4 weeks later...
Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
20 minutes ago, Cade said:

Elon Musk is to make Twitter subscription only.

Otherwise known as "shutting down Twitter".

:rofl:He's not got a clue.

Must be sick of people posting pictures of him and Ghislaine Maxwell all the time. N****.

52 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

That will be the end for X. 

Yes, it would be the final straw for a lot of users, if Musk makes Twitter subscription only.

Maybe he will see the reaction to this news, and decide against it.

When you've got JKB available free of charge, you don't need to pay a Twitter subscription to find the sort of nonsense that populates half of my feed - even though I prune Twitter regularly. 

Interesting to watch a financially very successful businessman make such a complete arse of a $44billion investment. 

1 hour ago, Placid Casual said:

Yes, it would be the final straw for a lot of users, if Musk makes Twitter subscription only.

Maybe he will see the reaction to this news, and decide against it.

Can the admins confirm whether he has and active JKB account? Probably not but only due to GDPR reasons. 

16 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Can the admins confirm whether he has and active JKB account? Probably not but only due to GDPR reasons. 

Ha ha, yes, he checks The Shed every day to see which way the wind is blowing. Would maybe explain how he made such an arse of Twitter!

Dusk_Till_Dawn
23 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

When you've got JKB available free of charge, you don't need to pay a Twitter subscription to find the sort of nonsense that populates half of my feed - even though I prune Twitter regularly. 

Interesting to watch a financially very successful businessman make such a complete arse of a $44billion investment. 

Depressing to watch. Good example of how hideously rich people can take control of things and **** them up on a whim.

6 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Depressing to watch. Good example of how hideously rich people can take control of things and **** them up on a whim.

Running Twitter involves knowing a little bit about how humans operate. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

Running Twitter involves knowing a little bit about how humans operate. 

It does.

there’s a lot to hate about Twitter as it was before Musk got hold of it but in some respects, it was a good and fun resource.

Concerning when he is free to destroy it, simply because he’s a billionaire and can do whatever he likes.