• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

• hughesie27

AlphonseCapone
52 minutes ago, Apache Mal said:

I'd rather play all games a Tynecastle than cater for the EPL fan boys.

100%

Percival King
54 minutes ago, Apache Mal said:

I'd rather play all games a Tynecastle than cater for the EPL fan boys.

I agree. Didn't move the Liverpool and Spurs ties. I'm not even sure we could move a single tie even if we wanted to, someone else will know the answer to that 

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

After the weekend's disappointment, getting excited about our European adventure is a great way to get over it. Depending on the draw we might have a shot at the Europa groups, which means some famous games against huge clubs, but there's no way we're getting out of them, even into the ECL. We'd be doing well to get past most of last year's 4th place sides in a head to head - Brondby, Sturm Graz, Ferencvaros, Lokomotiv Moscow and the rest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_UEFA_Europa_League#Group_stage

Then look at the 21/22 Conference League groups. Only a handful of clubs to fear and a bunch of top two qualifying teams I'd fancy our chances against - LASK, Bodo/Glimt, Vitesse, Randers, Qarabag...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_UEFA_Europa_Conference_League#Group_stage

Whoever we play we'll get huge support, but which would we prefer - playing on the biggest stages or having a real shot at staying in Europe after Christmas?

You would, would you?

Bodo would destroy us. And the others are hardened European sides. We'll be up against it no matter who we draw in either competition.

kingantti1874
26 minutes ago, jonesy said:

This question again?

Why the feck would anyone want to play in a less prestigious competition? Bizarre, losers mentality to want to play in the weaker tournament.

becuase it will probably be worth £1-2 m more to the club 🤷‍♂️😂

jack D and coke

I think we’ll get absolutely scudded in Europe in the group stages regardless of who we get. Finish bottom almost guaranteed. 
Looking forward to a yooro trip tho😀

John Findlay

We want our club to be ambitious, so it has to be the Europa League group stages all day long. Our ambition for the future should be the champions league, or whatever it may be called in the future.

Ccjambo1874

Europa League. Draws bigger players who would no doubt help us more domestically than in Europe.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, boag1874 said:

Might get Man Utd in the EL groups too & on current showing we'd probably absolutely spank them :lol:

:illogical:

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

You have to nominate your stadium well in advance of the first draw and you stick with it throughout. If we want to go to Murrayfield (I don’t) we’d have to say soon. You don’t get to wait to see who you draw

Yeah definitely 👍🏽

Nelly Terraces

When/how do we find out what competition we're in? I'll be honest, the whole thing is so ludicrously complicated (thanks UEFA!) I haven't a scoobie what happens with the draws or qualifying for this & that.

Can some kind person inform those of us who are hard of thinking what goes on? Like even when are the various draws etc. That's be great, and very much appreciated.

Cheers!👍

Thought Police
8 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

When/how do we find out what competition we're in? I'll be honest, the whole thing is so ludicrously complicated (thanks UEFA!) I haven't a scoobie what happens with the draws or qualifying for this & that.

Can some kind person inform those of us who are hard of thinking what goes on? Like even when are the various draws etc. That's be great, and very much appreciated.

Cheers!👍

Draw for the play off is the 1st August. Ties played on 18th and 25th August. After that we'll know what group stage we're in.

12 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Cheers!👍

Win the EL playoff and it's EL, lose and its ECL

Naisys Tackle
52 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I think we’ll get absolutely scudded in Europe in the group stages regardless of who we get. Finish bottom almost guaranteed. 
Looking forward to a yooro trip tho😀

That's what I thought when we beat Braga to qualify last time and Feynoord away aside we done ourselves justice. 

Nelly Terraces
14 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

Draw for the play off is the 1st August. Ties played on 18th and 25th August. After that we'll know what group stage we're in.

10 minutes ago, Steak said:

Win the EL playoff and it's EL, lose and its ECL

CHEERS fellas, really appreciate the info👍. So actually not THAT complicated after all then. As per usual it was just me being a bit thick!:lol:

Edited by Nelly Terraces

jack D and coke
20 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

That's what I thought when we beat Braga to qualify last time and Feynoord away aside we done ourselves justice. 

We done ok aye. I was in Basel and it’s the luckiest win you’ll ever see in your life :lol: Gordon was unreal that night on another day we’d have been humped. 
Im just being realistic bud I’ll enjoy the nights and defo get to at least one of the away trips. 

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

We done ok aye. I was in Basel and it’s the luckiest win you’ll ever see in your life :lol: Gordon was unreal that night on another day we’d have been humped. 
Im just being realistic bud I’ll enjoy the nights and defo get to at least one of the away trips. 

All true :)

Not much between them money wise. I would imagine we would have a better chance at picking up points in the conference but Qualifying for Europa league with a full Tynecastle you never know.  Playing at Murrayfield would allow an extra 10k in but I would much rather play at a full Tynecastle. 

John Findlay
3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

His save from Scott Chipperfield's header that night was world class(another one).

I fell over five rows of seats when our current manager scored the winner at the St Jakob stadium.

Bongo 1874
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You would, would you?

Bodo would destroy us. And the others are hardened European sides. We'll be up against it no matter who we draw in either competition.

I have watched Bödo all season and on our game we would beat them, 

They play very good football but that is down to there manager. 

On our day we can give anyone a game. 

And just for the record I've only had one account on here, and don't like being accused, of having a different account on the transfer thread. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

jack D and coke
17 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

His save from Scott Chipperfield's header that night was world class(another one).

I fell over five rows of seats when our current manager scored the winner at the St Jakob stadium.

I can’t remember it off top of my head but just remember him being at his very best all night long. We might’ve had 3 attempts at goal all night i think lol. Really should’ve been a horsing but chaos at Robbies goal aye. 
Great trip that was. 

You improve by playing the best opposition and doing that on a regular basis. Plus a fact that’s where the large revenues are. Europe league for me and stay in contention to drop to the conference league later. 

Bongo 1874
18 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

More chance of winning games in the conference tbh.

No guarantee, even if we lose in Europa league we still get money. 

Then ticket money etc because they aren't included on season tickets. 

Few player sales nothing to worry about. 

1 hour ago, Thought Police said:

Bear in mind that our draw that day will be PROBABLY against an either/or team as their tie won’t have been played yet We PROBABLY won’t know the actual opponent until 11th August.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

all TV money is pooled and paid per country in the group stages. We really want us to be in the EL or CL on our own then we keep the pot to ourselves. It's been quoted on the Europa League thread. 

Everything I've seen for prize money is per club 

Per round, then points for draws / wins etc. 

Nothing I've seen  states we get less or more. 

I must be missing something. 

Bazzas right boot

We taken rangers to ET. 

Rangers got to the Europa final and lost on penalties. 

We'll be one of the tournament favourites. 

think-smart.gif

I said similar on the other thread but I'll say it again. While there isn't much in the way of difference in prize money between the two competitions there is a substantial difference in the pooled TV revenue. The Europa League this season had a market pool of €139.5M. The Europa Conference League's was just €23.5M. Obviously Scotland only gets a small percentage of this and it is then split between all qualifying participants from that nation. 

I can't for the life of me find what Scotland's share is but even if it's just 1% that is €1.395M for us in the EL vs €235k in the ECL. If Rangers drop down to the EL and we are also in it we take 60% of that as we have the cup winners slot, they get 40%. So at worst we're taking home €837k from the Europa League. 

If Motherwell and Dundee Utd pull off a miracle and qualify for the ECL again we split with them, potentially getting as little as €94k.

It is an absolute no brainer to want to get into the EL. We might get cuffed in every game, we might not, but at least we'll make a few quid doing it. Given our last result in Europe (and a certain cup game last season) results against teams we think are below us should never be taken for granted so let's not assume we'll make up the shortfall by picking up points in the ECL. 

Edited by Jamboross

Fxxx the SPFL
8 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Everything I've seen for prize money is per club 

Per round, then points for draws / wins etc. 

Nothing I've seen  states we get less or more. 

I must be missing something. 

That’s what I thought but TV money is definitely pooled per country see post above 

Edited by Fxxx the SPFL

Fxxx the SPFL
2 minutes ago, Jamboross said:

I said similar on the other thread but I'll say it again. While there isn't much in the way of difference in prize money between the two competitions there is a substantial difference in the pooled TV revenue. The Europa League this season had a market pool of €139.5M. The Europa Conference League's was just €23.5M. Obviously Scotland only gets a small percentage of this and it is then split between all qualifying participants from that nation. 

I can't for the life of me find what Scotland's share is but even if it's just 1% that is €1.395M for us in the EL vs €235k in the ECL. If Rangers drop down to the EL and we are also in it we take 60% of that as cup winners, they get 40%. So at worst we're taking home €837k from the Europa League. 

If Motherwell and Dundee Utd pull off a miracle and qualify for the ECL again we split with them, potentially getting as little as €94k.

It is an absolute no brainer to want to get into the EL. We might get cuffed in every game, we might not, but at least we'll make a few quid doing it. Given our last result in Europe (and a certain cup game last season) results against teams we think are below us should never be taken for granted so let's not assume we'll make up the shortfall by picking up points in the ECL. 

Let’s hope we’re in EL on our own 

Thought Police
16 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Bear in mind that our draw that day will be PROBABLY against an either/or team as their tie won’t have been played yet We PROBABLY won’t know the actual opponent until 11th August.

Good point. Will make booking the away leg fun....

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

That’s what I thought but TV money is definitely pooled per country see post above 

Europa league seems better nbo matter what. 

More money! 

Fxxx the SPFL
Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

More money! 

👍

17 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

More money! 

A series of mis matches for me. I’d rather go up against teams of similar quality than get thrashed every Thursday by the Man Utd’s and Romas

Conference for me please 

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

A series of mis matches for me. I’d rather go up against teams of similar quality than get thrashed every Thursday by the Man Utd’s and Romas

Conference for me please 

Plenty beatable teams in the Europa. 

Many not as good as celtic or Rangers who many expect us to compete with. 

No reason to be scared. 

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Plenty beatable teams in the Europa. 

Many not as good as celtic or Rangers who many expect us to compete with. 

No reason to be scared. 

Show me one single poster on here who expects us to compete with Celtic and Rangers ?

Here is a list of the group qualifiers for 21/22. If you have time can you list the ‘beatable’ teams for us in the entire group stage. I don’t mean on a fantasy night which you get every now and then. I mean sit and look imagine us playing them tomorrow and think ‘yep they are beatable’ Teams you’d fancy us against ? I found ONE in the whole group stage and even that’s a stretch.

AUT: Rapid Wien*, Sturm Graz*
BEL: Antwerp*, Genk**
BUL: Ludogorets Razgrad**
CRO: Dinamo Zagreb**
CZE: Sparta Praha**
DEN: Brøndby**, Midtjylland**
ENG: Leicester, West Ham
ESP: Real Sociedad, Real Betis
FRA: Lyon, Marseille, Monaco**
GER: Eintracht Frankfurt, Leverkusen
GRE: Olympiacos*
HUN: Ferencváros**
ITA: Napoli, Lazio
NED: PSV Eindhoven**
POL: Legia Warszawa*
POR: Braga 
RUS: Lokomotiv Moskva, Spartak Moskva**
SCO: Celtic*, Rangers*
SRB: Crvena zvezda*
TUR: Fenerbahçe*, Galatasaray*

Edited by JimmyCant

Heartsmad1874
2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Flash back to years ago when we drew Tromso/Paks and Tromso won first leg and many on here booked to go to Norway :lol:. Lets hope its a convincing first leg result or we are away from home in the second leg.

12 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Flash back to years ago when we drew Tromso/Paks and Tromso won first leg and many on here booked to go to Norway :lol:. Lets hope its a convincing first leg result or we are away from home in the second leg.

Remember it well. Tromso had an away goal in a drawn first leg and folk just dived in. Lost the home leg 3-0 😂 

A total of 20 teams will play in the play-off round. The teams will be seeded into four "priority groups":

• Priority 1: 7 teams which enter in this round.
  • Priority 2: 6 losers of the 2022–23 UEFA Champions League third qualifying round (Champions Path), whose identity will not be known at the time of the draw
  • Priority 3: 5 winners of the third qualifying round (Champions Path), whose identity will not be known at the time of the draw
  • Priority 4: 2 winners of the third qualifying round (Main Path), whose identity will not be known at the time of the draw

Firstly, teams of priority 1 will be drawn against teams of priority 4, until there are no more teams of priority 4 left. Secondly, the remaining teams of priority 1 will be drawn against teams of priority 3, until there are no more teams of priority 1 left. Thirdly, the remaining teams of priority 3 will be drawn against teams of priority 2, until there are no more teams of priority 3 left. Finally, the remaining teams of priority 2 will be drawn against each other. Teams from the same association cannot be drawn against each other. The first team drawn in each tie will be the home team of the first leg.

Qualified teams

Priority 1:

Priority 2:

Priority 3:

Priority 4:

The winners of the ties will advance to the group stage. The losers will be transferred to the Europa Conference League group stage.

Just now, cookieboy said:

A total of 20 teams will play in the play-off round. The teams will be seeded into four "priority groups":

• Priority 2: 6 losers of the 2022–23 UEFA Champions League third qualifying round (Champions Path), whose identity will not be known at the time of the draw
  • Priority 3: 5 winners of the third qualifying round (Champions Path), whose identity will not be known at the time of the draw
  • Priority 4: 2 winners of the third qualifying round (Main Path), whose identity will not be known at the time of the draw

Firstly, teams of priority 1 will be drawn against teams of priority 4, until there are no more teams of priority 4 left. Secondly, the remaining teams of priority 1 will be drawn against teams of priority 3, until there are no more teams of priority 1 left. Thirdly, the remaining teams of priority 3 will be drawn against teams of priority 2, until there are no more teams of priority 3 left. Finally, the remaining teams of priority 2 will be drawn against each other. Teams from the same association cannot be drawn against each other. The first team drawn in each tie will be the home team of the first leg.

Qualified teams

Priority 1:

Priority 2:

Priority 3:

Priority 4:

The winners of the ties will advance to the group stage. The losers will be transferred to the Europa Conference League group stage.

copied from wikipedia , we cannot draw a UCL Q3 drop out 

Honestly, I'd prefer a group of good ties for the location point of view, the fans deserve some great trips to enjoy.

24 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

Qualified teams

Priority 1:

Priority 2:

Priority 3:

Priority 4:

Good post. This should be Pinned as it covers everything needed to be known

Luckies1874

Reading a fair bit of misinformation on this thread. 

Here are the financial benefits:

Europa League group participation:  £3.2 million

Europa League group win: £475,000

Europa League group draw:  £160,000

Europa Conference group participation:  £2.7 million

Europa Conference group win:  £420,000

Europa Conference group draw:  £140,000

There is also a £250,000 payment to any club who loses the Europa League play off and drops into the Europa Conference League. So what we can say is that we are GUARANTEED nearly £3 million whatever happens. 

So those who are suggesting that Europa League group qualification sees significant more riches are not altogether accurate and indeed from a financial perspective it could easily be argued that we would likely make more in the lesser competition. The prestige and the likely fixtures against some huge clubs would undoubtably suggest the Europa League is best but realistically how many points will we take? Maybe at a real push a win and a couple of draws which would bring in £795,000 in prize money. For 2 wins and 2 draws in the Conference we would get £1,120,000. Of course the club may charge more for tickets should we get a Man Utd, Roma or Real Betis so all the additional finance could also be factored in. 

What we can say for certain is with the guaranteed income from the group stage football (whichever it is) and 4 times 19,000 x £25 gates (approximating ticket cost - which is another £1.9 million) we are definitely making close to £5 million before any prize money for points gained. 

Edited by Luckies1874

Qualified teams

Priority 1:

Priority 2:

Priority 3:

Priority 4:

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Show me one single poster on here who expects us to compete with Celtic and Rangers ?

Here is a list of the group qualifiers for 21/22. If you have time can you list the ‘beatable’ teams for us in the entire group stage. I don’t mean on a fantasy night which you get every now and then. I mean sit and look imagine us playing them tomorrow and think ‘yep they are beatable’ Teams you’d fancy us against ? I found ONE in the whole group stage and even that’s a stretch.

AUT: Rapid Wien*, Sturm Graz*
BEL: Antwerp*, Genk**
BUL: Ludogorets Razgrad**
CRO: Dinamo Zagreb**
CZE: Sparta Praha**
DEN: Brøndby**, Midtjylland**
ENG: Leicester, West Ham
ESP: Real Sociedad, Real Betis
FRA: Lyon, Marseille, Monaco**
GER: Eintracht Frankfurt, Leverkusen
GRE: Olympiacos*
HUN: Ferencváros**
ITA: Napoli, Lazio
NED: PSV Eindhoven**
POL: Legia Warszawa*
POR: Braga 
RUS: Lokomotiv Moskva, Spartak Moskva**
SCO: Celtic*, Rangers*
SRB: Crvena zvezda*
TUR: Fenerbahçe*, Galatasaray*

Everyone of them.

45 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Everyone of them.

Mind I said not in a fantasy world of your own making.

Youd fancy us against Braga PSV Napoli Lazio Frankfurt Leverkusen Lyon Marseille Monaco Betis Sociedad Leicester West Ham Celtic Rangers ?

Thats the current us mind. The us that persistently over many years gets well beaten by 2 of those clubs, not some imaginary Hearts in your head populated by Galactico types.

Honestly man talk sense.

Edited by JimmyCant

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts