Atkinson

22games nro

kingantti1874
15 minutes ago, Sooks said:

So that is the Australian national team coaches and management added to the list of people who should stop watching football then or maybe he is actually a good player

he is definitely a good player. We just have some torn faced dick head fans who don’t know how to be happy .  Was brilliant against St Mirren .. yeah he has bits to learn but the lad will go far in the game

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Sooks

• GinRummy

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's proof then. He didn't give the ball away 50% of the time. 

Nobody actually wants him to fail, they are just saying what they saw.

36 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

he is definitely a good player. We just have some torn faced dick head fans who don’t know how to be happy .  Was brilliant against St Mirren .. yeah he has bits to learn but the lad will go far in the game

He had one bit of excellent play where he went round Jones to lay on the ball for the 3rd goal - that was it.  If you want to extrapolate that to he was brilliant against St Mirren then that's your problem.

heartsfc_fan

Like the look of him going forward. He needs to work on the basic defensive stuff though.

Only 22 though, so lots of time to improve.

FarmerTweedy
36 minutes ago, Sooks said:

134 % of internet statistics are wrong 12 % of the time

78% of them are completely made up!  FACT!!!!

• davemclaren changed the title to Atkinson - called up ( edited )

I can see how they like him if they've been watching him here. 

They'll think they can get his defensive game tighter which should help us also.

Brilliant for the laddie. Hopefully he uses this to kick on.

Doesnt change the fact he’s been poor so far. There’s no getting away from that. His defending is non-existent and passing atrocious. Not giving up on him though because if there’s anyone who should be able to develop his defending as a right back it’s Neilson. 

That will be next season though. For now we really need Mikey Smith to recover asap. If you had to choose between the two for the double header against Hibs then every Hearts supporter with eyes in their head chooses Smith 100%.

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

he is definitely a good player. We just have some torn faced dick head fans who don’t know how to be happy .  Was brilliant against St Mirren .. yeah he ehas bits to learn but the lad will go far in the game

I think folk expect every fullback to be like a Trent Alexander it's mental.Smith gets ripped on here for being too defensive and Atkinson for not be enough defensively.

Edited by vegas-voss

4 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Brilliant for the laddie. Hopefully he uses this to kick on.

Doesnt change the fact he’s been poor so far. There’s no getting away from that. His defending is non-existent and passing atrocious. Not giving up on him though because if there’s anyone who should be able to develop his defending as a right back it’s Neilson. 

That will be next season though. For now we really need Mikey Smith to recover asap. If you had to choose between the two for the double header against Hibs then every Hearts supporter with eyes in their head chooses Smith 100%.

I would definitely be playing Atkinson v Hibs and I would have Smith behind him to help out with the defensive side of things I am more interested in the damage he can do to them than him spending the game trying to stop them

1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

I thought no folk expect every fullback to be like a Trent Alexander it's mental.Smith gets ripped on here for being too defensive and Atkinson for not be enough defensively.

Trent Alexander gets ripped by quick good attacks. 

Will say this he must have a few assists already and have been involved in quite a few chance creations since he came.He will get caught out a lot but that's the price that you have to pay with how a fullback is expected to perform now.

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Trent Alexander gets ripped by quick good attacks. 

They all do it's part of the modern game

jamboinglasgow

Atkinson has been fine since he moved here. I would argue a lot of the defensive side is getting used to Scottish football. That will come. 

Please with him getting a call up.

2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

They all do it's part of the modern game

Apart from how Gareth Southgate wants to play it!

Seems another Marmite type.

I think he panics and gives the ball away too often but hope he will improve and be a good player for us. 

Not currently an option ahead of Smith for me. Who would most posters prefer against the Hibs?

Next season will be make or break for Atkinson. Couldn't give a XXXX about the Australian team.

3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Atkinson has been fine since he moved here. I would argue a lot of the defensive side is getting used to Scottish football. That will come. 

Please with him getting a call up.

That's where I am.  If he'd been a player great going forward and just as great in defence, he would've been out of our price range.  He's a young guy who can improve.  

2 hours ago, karipidis said:

Yep I think it’s obvious what his flaws are and they are easily worked on by the coaching team. His attacking instincts and natural energy are more difficult to coach so I think we will see the best of him next season. 

Not sure he could realistically have a better manager for coaching how to defend as a fullback!!

His issue for me has been a wee bit speed of thought/decision making.  But that's easily explained as adaptation.  His attitude is spot on and he has loads of upside.  Work in progress but there's plenty progress to be had.

Some folk just love shouting shite.  Seems very weird to me, to want to be the guy who says "told you he was shite".  Same people will have said at some point "told you he was shite" about Halkett.  Gomerals to a man.

I'll add Toby Sibbick in here too.  Lad needs to settle down.  That's all.  Sure he will.  Don't underestimate the pressure that comes with playing for Hearts.  This is a big move and potential career maker for these boys.  Some need time to settle in to it.  Oh for every signing to hit the ground like Cam Dev, but it's not realistic

7 minutes ago, deejtee said:

I think he panics and gives the ball away too often but hope he will improve and be a good player for us. 

Not currently an option ahead of Smith for me. Who would most posters prefer against the Hibs?

Next season will be make or break for Atkinson. Couldn't give a XXXX about the Australian team.

Atkinson is bad news for the Hibs defence. But with Jasper looking lively and maybe the new Norwegian the defence needs to be tighter. 

2 minutes ago, deejtee said:

Not sure if he panics or it's just an eagerness to move the ball quickly that then see's passes go astray?

Think folk need to remember that he's only been here a couple of months and it'll take time to adjust to a number of things, the weather, the pace of scottish football, new teammates, no pre-season with the squad and a key one is the number of games (sure the aussie season is only something like 26 games, playing sat, wed, sat for weeks on end will no doubt be a shock to his system)

14 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Not sure he could realistically have a better manager for coaching how to defend as a fullback!!

His issue for me has been a wee bit speed of thought/decision making.  But that's easily explained as adaptation.  His attitude is spot on and he has loads of upside.  Work in progress but there's plenty progress to be had.

Some folk just love shouting shite.  Seems very weird to me, to want to be the guy who says "told you he was shite".  Same people will have said at some point "told you he was shite" about Halkett.  Gomerals to a man.

I'll add Toby Sibbick in here too.  Lad needs to settle down.  That's all.  Sure he will.  Don't underestimate the pressure that comes with playing for Hearts.  This is a big move and potential career maker for these boys.  Some need time to settle in to it.  Oh for every signing to hit the ground like Cam Dev, but it's not realistic

Agree.

He hasn't fully settled. Just needs to calm down a bit. 

But I think he is improving. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Phenomenal! Hopefully this sort of thing becomes a good part of our recruitment pitch to players from countries less successful footballing countries. 

Really pleased for him.

5 minutes ago, OTT said:

Phenomenal! Hopefully this sort of thing becomes a good part of our recruitment pitch to players from countries less successful footballing countries. 

Really pleased for him.

And then to succesful ones!!!

Attacking is his game, it is easy to pick holes in his defensive side, but you can say the same about the likes of Robertson at Liverpool (or Hickey and Paterson). It is mainly positional and should improve with experience, but we need to encourage him for now. We could have something special in this boy IMO, he has great desire, forward drive and energy and it is still very early days. Keep going for it son.

7 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

Attacking is his game, it is easy to pick holes in his defensive side, but you can say the same about the likes of Robertson at Liverpool (or Hickey and Paterson). It is mainly positional and should improve with experience, but we need to encourage him for now. We could have something special in this boy IMO, he has great desire, forward drive and energy and it is still very early days. Keep going for it son.

TAA is the prime example. Attacking wise hes excellent but he's rotten at defending. 

8 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

Something I like about him is his instinct to be dangerous in the final third.  This isn't a go at Smith at all, but for years we've had fullbacks who get the ball laid to them out wide and ALWAYS take a touch, so get closed down for the cross so it gets blocked, or they turn back.  Other negative is taking a touch, you're giving the defenders a chance to set themselves in the middle instead of whipping it in when everyone running towards the goal.

Natty swings that ball in first time when he can.  Doesn't always come off, but it's a harder skill.  I like that his instinct is to cause trouble.  Seems a small thing, but watch how often we hit first time crosses these days.  Kingsley does it when LB too.  Huge difference.

He perhaps needs to realise from time to time when 30-40 yards from his own goal, that the ball is simply up the line.  Every fullback at every level needs to play that ball sometimes when nothing else is on.  Just needs to make that decision a bit quicker and he'll be fine.  Simms spinning the channels more would help him.

50 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I would definitely be playing Atkinson v Hibs and I would have Smith behind him to help out with the defensive side of things I am more interested in the damage he can do to them than him spending the game trying to stop them

That might not be a bad shout as it keeps him well away from his own half. Although he’d still be well down the pecking order for a start at right wing.

As I've said before he's raw but hopefully his defensive side will improve.

Being deployed further up the park for a few games may be a good idea.

23 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Something I like about him is his instinct to be dangerous in the final third.  This isn't a go at Smith at all, but for years we've had fullbacks who get the ball laid to them out wide and ALWAYS take a touch, so get closed down for the cross so it gets blocked, or they turn back.  Other negative is taking a touch, you're giving the defenders a chance to set themselves in the middle instead of whipping it in when everyone running towards the goal.

Natty swings that ball in first time when he can.  Doesn't always come off, but it's a harder skill.  I like that his instinct is to cause trouble.  Seems a small thing, but watch how often we hit first time crosses these days.  Kingsley does it when LB too.  Huge difference.

He perhaps needs to realise from time to time when 30-40 yards from his own goal, that the ball is simply up the line.  Every fullback at every level needs to play that ball sometimes when nothing else is on.  Just needs to make that decision a bit quicker and he'll be fine.  Simms spinning the channels more would help him.

I see him up close in the first half. His vision, movement, positioning and touch for dangerous attacking passes is exceptional. 

Just his positioning and composure more defensively but its improving. 

Edited by Mikey1874

HeartsandonlyHearts

Kid arrived in a new town and country during a world wide pandemic.

Im going to give him a few more months before calling for his head.

Leveins Battalion

Atkinson-Pros Athletic,Fast,Combatitive

Weaknesses-Concentration,Decison making,positioning.

Kind of expected from a 22 year old but room to improve.

58 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Gowser II 

Exactly and were we all worrying about his defending v Hibs in derbies or were we just getting ready to cheer a goal as he rampaged up the field and joined in attacks

32 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Agree with everything here.  

He’s got rough edges but it’s expected. It’s clear he needs to improve defensively and hopefully the coaching staff are nurturing him on that front, but the main thing is he needs to have that intelligence himself to learn and tweak.  That takes time but we do need to see that improving. 

It’s a balance we are looking for. Much prefer him to Smith there,because as you point out, his attacking prowess is head and shoulders above.  However, some will prefer Smith because he’s safer but that begs the question as to how we keep improving all areas and in the case of RB/RWB, Atkinson has the elements to do that.  

Defensively he needs to learn when to be a defender.  There was an instance v St Mirren when he let the ball go over his head facing our own goals and he let it bounce. This allowed the opposition player to steal in and nearly get an opportunity.  

He should just be dealing with that by knocking it away mid flight and the team resets.  

Gordon Ramsay

Seems decent going forward, can see there is talent there. 

Defensively though, horrendous and has/will cost us goals. 

Needs to improve that aspect of his game and quickly as Smith isn't getting any younger and his body seems to be packing in a bit. 

Pasquale for King
52 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Spot on, the coaches need to earn their corn and I have no doubt they are working hard on him. 
Smith has been a good servant but some seem to forget how many times he gives the ball away, hence his tendency to go back the way. 
Atkinson is also fit as a fiddle and is still up and down late on in games as he was when McEneff put in that great cross in for our fourth on Saturday. 
He also shut Jota down when he came on against Celtic when Smith was being ripped to pieces. 
He is a big part of why we are creating more chances and playing better again. 

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Spot on, the coaches need to earn their corn and I have no doubt they are working hard on him. 
Smith has been a good servant but some seem to forget how many times he gives the ball away, hence his tendency to go back the way. 
Atkinson is also fit as a fiddle and is still up and down late on in games as he was when McEneff put in that great cross in for our fourth on Saturday. 
He also shut Jota down when he came on against Celtic when Smith was being ripped to pieces. 

Yup and everything that's being made of his poor defending is overstating it in truth.  Not like we're exactly leaking goals left right and centre!!!

Souttar, Halkett, Gordon, Kingsley, Cam, Beni, Haring and even Halliday all or most of them on the pitch, we can afford our RB to be primarily offensive and to take the odd risk or misjudge the odd moment.

People want perfection but even at the highest level FBs tend to be good at one thing or the other.  Could Marcelo defend?  Was Dani Alves a brilliant defender?  You could pick holes in Andy Robertson's game.

Natty is a well scouted signing and he's getting better by the game from what I see.  Look forward to seeing him next season.  Actually - I look forward to seeing him at Hampden!!!!!

A_A wehatethehibs
35 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Exactly and were we all worrying about his defending v Hibs in derbies or were we just getting ready to cheer a goal as he rampaged up the field and joined in attacks

Folk spent the first half of the season moaning that Smith is too defensive for the RWB role in a 3 at the back system.

Now we get a much more attack minded RWB who’s not as dominant defensively as smith, these same fans are focusing the defensive side. 

Atkinson has been a decent signing, just what we needed, still really just in his first couple of months settling in here so of course there’ll be gaps in his game that need filling. Did folk expect we were buying Trent Alexander-Arnold standard of RWB ? 

Akka is a good signing for us, a good professional lad with great attitude, takes people on, robs people high up the pitch, wins the endurance battle, comfortable in possession. Plenty reasons to be cheerful about him. Bags of potential. 

2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Folk spent the first half of the season moaning that Smith is too defensive for the RWB role in a 3 at the back system.

Now we get a much more attack minded RWB who’s not as dominant defensively as smith, these same fans are focusing the defensive side. 

Atkinson has been a decent signing, just what we needed, still really just in his first couple of months settling in here so of course there’ll be gaps in his game that need filling. Did folk expect we were buying Trent Alexander-Arnold standard of RWB ? 

Akka is a good signing for us, a good professional lad with great attitude, takes people on, robs people high up the pitch, wins the endurance battle, comfortable in possession. Plenty reasons to be cheerful about him. Bags of potential. 

My thoughts exactly

kingantti1874
3 hours ago, briever said:

He had one bit of excellent play where he went round Jones to lay on the ball for the 3rd goal - that was it.  If you want to extrapolate that to he was brilliant against St Mirren then that's your problem.

Moved on from Neilson to another target.  

his runs and energy on the outside are a massive part of our attacking threat. He is a young player who isn’t going to be perfect but he is very effective and will improve.

in conclusion, you are wrong 👍🏻

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

100% correct.. I despair at some of the pish I read on here.. same people who think Neilson should be axed because he’s unlikely to win the title. 

We are a better team with Atkinson in it.. end of story 

Wee sidenote, wonder if Cam may have had a chance of a call if not for his injury?  He's by and large been great and was coming onto his best form imo.

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Great post.

It's also funny how Smith has gone from being a massive problem in our side, to a key player who we need back ASAP.

Of course the answer, as always, is actually neither. We need Smith back, as he's a good player for sure.

But overall, I'd much rather have a raw, energetic, forward-thinking FB / WB who needs a bit of time to bed in defensively, than trying to re-position a reliable, yet aging defender.

Do we want to win games 4-2 or 1-0?

27 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

Great post.

It's also funny how Smith has gone from being a massive problem in our side, to a key player who we need back ASAP.

Of course the answer, as always, is actually neither. We need Smith back, as he's a good player for sure.

But overall, I'd much rather have a raw, energetic, forward-thinking FB / WB who needs a bit of time to bed in defensively, than trying to re-position a reliable, yet aging defender.

Do we want to win games 4-2 or 1-0?

Yep if/when Smith comes back in there will be a influx of posters moaning about how there's a lack of attacking threat from full backs.

Said it earlier in the week, I actually wary of him being coached to work defensively, can often lead to the player just simply refusing to leave the defensive position.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Atkinson