Atkinson

22games nro

4 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Still unconvinced but there’s definitely something there.

I thought he did some terrific stuff today. However whenever that happened it was usually followed (usually immediately) by something terrible. Summed up by a great run past 2 or 3 players in the middle of the park then shanking a 5 yard pass out for a throw. 

Can't remember anything terrible today? Actually thought he was pretty quiet on the attacking front and solid defensively today. Hopefully that's not a result of people crying on here because he's let someone past him a few times.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Sooks

• GinRummy

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Can't remember anything terrible today? Actually thought he was pretty quiet on the attacking front and solid defensively today. Hopefully that's not a result of people crying on here because he's let someone past him a few times.

His defending was fine today. Just several poor passes/decisions.

He's starting to show his quality now. He's been improving all the time. Folk wanted an attacking RWB, that's what he is. Another quality assist for Mckay today. 

Rick Sanchez

I'm enjoying Atkinson tbh. He's still young, nearly two years younger than Brandon.

We've all been crying out for pace down the right hand side. We were never going to sign a world beater.

Now begs the question...Atkinson or Smith?

He is actually proving to be almost instrumental in our creative/attacking play, another good assist from him for mckays goal. He's starting to grow on me.

5 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I'm enjoying Atkinson tbh. He's still young, nearly two years younger than Brandon.

We've all been crying out for pace down the right hand side. We were never going to sign a world beater.

I would have Atkinson starting and Smithy filling in where needed as the versatile quality player that he is

10 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Easy one for me. Atkinson needs to play everyweek.

On 17/03/2022 at 18:43, Sooks said:

So that is the Australian national team coaches and management added to the list of people who should stop watching football then or maybe he is actually a good player

Apparently! 😆😆

Watt-Zeefuik
On 18/03/2022 at 00:56, ri Alban said:

The deep end? It's Scottish football we're talking about. 😆

"The deep end" was playing a team in their own stadium that just scudded Dortmund and Red Star Belgrade.

Kind of funny when you have to convince fans of Scottish football that Scottish football really isn't that bad but here we are . . .

8 hours ago, Cruyff said:

He's starting to show his quality now. He's been improving all the time. Folk wanted an attacking RWB, that's what he is. Another quality assist for Mckay today. 

First goal doesn't happen without him steaming in at the back post either.

He is a decent wing back. Defensively got caught a couple of times. He seems to over hit a pass too almost like he can't wait to get rid of the ball but he grew into the game. Decent player who will only get better. 

8 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

He’s 100% going to be a player. The thing is he will need time eradicate the mistakes he’s making and time to develop. The next two months isn’t the right time for that imo. There’s too much at stake with potentially 3 derbies, securing group stage football, a semi and a final to play for. 

Anytime he’s came up against even a semi-decent winger it’s caused big problems. Might be a moot point anyway as Smith might not be back anytime soon but it would be Smith for me this season. 

4 minutes ago, Rods said:

Robbie will teach him the art of defending and we will have a proper player on our hands. 

He’s a really exciting prospect. 

I like what I’ve seen of him so far. He’s young and that brings its inconsistency and mistakes with it. However he will take some time adjusting to the life in Scotland and the pace of the game up here. I love his work rate and determination. He’s got a lot of pace. There was a move with him and McKay Second half playing a one two with each other…. The speed the two of them shifted up the park was incredible. The good thing is that the flaws in his game are things that can be taught and will improve with experience. He’s got the skills and pace naturally and that good news for the future. 

Mick from Oz

His WC qualifier against Japan starts in a bit of an hour's  time.  Probably won't start but wouldn't be surprised if he's thrown on some point, Australia need to go all out for a win, not at all confident that they can though.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

A pre-season and being properly integrated into the team and Scottish football and this lad will come on leaps and bounds.

We are not yet in the market where we can afford the perfect attacking wing back or right back. 

Folk moan that Smith is too defensive and no doubt the same folk moan Natty can’t defend.

Within a year this guy will be a key player for us.

1 hour ago, Mick from Oz said:

Scratch all that, looks like he hasn't even made the bench, can't wait to see the back of our current manager.

Injured? Or is there only a certain number of the called up squad that make the match day squad? 

Mick from Oz
36 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Injured? Or is there only a certain number of the called up squad that make the match day squad? 

Possibly injured, more likely the manager being a total knob has left him out, has his favourites unfortunately.

2-0 Japan

Japan and Saudi Arabia qualify. Australia into play offs. 

Play offs is 2 rounds of games. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Pasquale for King
On 20/03/2022 at 08:38, DS98 said:

He’s 100% going to be a player. The thing is he will need time eradicate the mistakes he’s making and time to develop. The next two months isn’t the right time for that imo. There’s too much at stake with potentially 3 derbies, securing group stage football, a semi and a final to play for. 

Anytime he’s came up against even a semi-decent winger it’s caused big problems. Might be a moot point anyway as Smith might not be back anytime soon but it would be Smith for me this season. 

Apart from when Jota was absolutely ripping Smith to pieces at Tynecastle then Atkinson shut him down? 
Can you name the players and the chaos they caused or goals we’ve lost due to them roasting Atkinson?

Australia's first play off game will he determined by this week's remaining group games. Either United Arab Emirates, Lebanon or Iraq. 

If they win that 2 rounds in final round could have to play Uruguay or Chile for example to qualify.

Rick Sanchez
13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Apart from when Jota was absolutely ripping Smith to pieces at Tynecastle then Atkinson shut him down? 
Can you name the players and the chaos they caused or goals we’ve lost due to them roasting Atkinson?

:greatpost:

13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Jones and Kent certainly caused him problems, but I feel he eventually got the better of Jones and everyone was bad in that game at Ibrox. Think he’s improving week by week and certainly don’t see many mistakes from him. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, karipidis said:

Jones and Kent certainly caused him problems, but I feel he eventually got the better of Jones and everyone was bad in that game at Ibrox. Think he’s improving week by week and certainly don’t see many mistakes from him. 

Kent causes everyone problems, he’s a good player. Jones can’t stop diving to actually cause many problems, apart from his one chance.

On 19/03/2022 at 23:54, Rick Sanchez said:

Atkinson every time.

5 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

Atkinson every time.

Really? I like Atkinson - think he’s been very good and has potential to get even better. But he’s got a long way to go to get to Smith’s level. Smith has been Mr Consistent for the last 4 or 5 years for us.

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Saying Atkinson kept Jota quiet is a bit of a stretch of the truth to say the least. Celtic always start on fire then fade away.

Off the top of my head I’d say Jordan Jones twice has ripped him to shreds. The Rangers game was also particularly bad from him. 

Look, you have your opinion and I have mine. I don’t think he’s a good player. You do and that’s fine. I’m not an overly critical type either btw. I can only think of 3 other players I’ve had a genuine vocal concern about and voiced it in here.

Malaury Martin

Popescu

Andy Halliday 

Atkinson 

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

Really? I like Atkinson - think he’s been very good and has potential to get even better. But he’s got a long way to go to get to Smith’s level. Smith has been Mr Consistent for the last 4 or 5 years for us.

Atkinson as the wing back but Smith definitely has a role to play in other positions and I think he could help Atkinson by supporting him with the parts of the game he is weaker at

1 hour ago, DS98 said:

Saying Atkinson kept Jota quiet is a bit of a stretch of the truth to say the least. Celtic always start on fire then fade away.

Off the top of my head I’d say Jordan Jones twice has ripped him to shreds. The Rangers game was also particularly bad from him. 

Look, you have your opinion and I have mine. I don’t think he’s a good player. You do and that’s fine. I’m not an overly critical type either btw. I can only think of 3 other players I’ve had a genuine vocal concern about and voiced it in here.

Malaury Martin

Popescu

Andy Halliday 

Atkinson 

Putting Atkinson (and Halliday) amongst those players is bizarre. 

2 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Putting Atkinson (and Halliday) amongst those players is bizarre. 

If you say so. 

I remember I got quite a bit of abuse early on last season when I said Popescu was a bombscare. Defensively I put Atkinson in the same bracket. I hope he improves, I hope he becomes another Hearts hero. Right now I’ve not been impressed. Last week was better but it was a good thing followed by a bad thing. 

1 hour ago, DS98 said:

Malaury Martin

Popescu

Andy Halliday 

Atkinson 

What a funny we list to have mate - considering the shite we've had over the years, I mean!!! haha!!

I mean, having Atkinson on your vocal concerns list when Lenny Sowah was a regular for a time!!!

9 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

What a funny we list to have mate - considering the shite we've had over the years, I mean!!! haha!!

I mean, having Atkinson on your vocal concerns list when Lenny Sowah was a regular for a time!!!

Which proves my point it’s not because I’m m a negative poster who’s always overly critical. There’s been 100 worse players than Atkinson in the past decade. Atkinson (and Halliday) are interesting and conversation worthy as they split opinion. 

4 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Which proves my point it’s not because I’m m a negative poster who’s always overly critical. There’s been 100 worse players than Atkinson in the past decade. Atkinson (and Halliday) are interesting and conversation worthy as they split opinion. 

No they don't...

loveofthegame
21 minutes ago, DS98 said:

If you say so. 

I remember I got quite a bit of abuse early on last season when I said Popescu was a bombscare. Defensively I put Atkinson in the same bracket. I hope he improves, I hope he becomes another Hearts hero. Right now I’ve not been impressed. Last week was better but it was a good thing followed by a bad thing. 

I don't agree with everything you're saying but I think the underlined bit is fair, particularly defensively. He makes a lot of errors (obvious ones the naive tackle of Ferguson and the pass that led to Hatate's goal) - however, he has also looked excellent going forward at times. I definitely agree that he is prone to follow something good with something bad (last week he would beat a man then misplace the pass, for example).

I think he will be come a very decent player but he needs to cut out the mistakes and get better defensively. Early days though.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, DS98 said:

Malaury Martin

Popescu

Andy Halliday 

Atkinson 

I think you’re being extremely harsh on him and having watched both games in their entirety Jones created one chance. 
We could list who else cost us actual goals, Halkett has been at fault for quite a few this season but has come on leaps and bounds nonetheless. 
By the time he leaves us he will crested more chances, and scored many more goals than Smith has or will. 

Boyces beard
2 hours ago, DS98 said:

Malaury Martin

Popescu

Andy Halliday 

Atkinson 

Martin and Popescu both failed at Hearts and where not very good (that's being nice),

Halliday is a solid pro at this level who can cover a multitude of positions and will almost always give you a 7/10 and 100% effort.

Atkinson is clearly a threat going forward which is what we have been crying out for in his position and  i am sure he will be working hard on his defending. In my opinion what he has already added to the team in an attacking sense has and will continue to far outweigh any defensive deficiency he has at the moment. I think the lads a player and will make us good money when he moves on to further his career.

Its all just about opinions though like you say and i remember thinking SPH was shite when we signed him and look how that turned out 😂.

I also though after 45 mins of watching Uche that he would be a massive hit with us but he turned out to be a bit meh, although i think a lot of that had to do with him being targeted by our referees because of his size.

Just saw he wasn’t in the squad earlier. Hope it’s not down to injury.

Edit. Should really read the whole page before posting!

Edited by DS98

Finlay James

Atkinson is raw but you can see he has attributes that will make him a very good player in future.  He is still young and learning so will make some mistakes along the way as part of that process and we knew that when signing him.

Im really glad that he is a Hearts player as I think he is going to grow into being a complete wing back.

21 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

A pre-season and being properly integrated into the team and Scottish football and this lad will come on leaps and bounds.

We are not yet in the market where we can afford the perfect attacking wing back or right back. 

Folk moan that Smith is too defensive and no doubt the same folk moan Natty can’t defend.

Within a year this guy will be a key player for us.

😆

On 20/03/2022 at 00:01, Sooks said:

I would have Atkinson starting and Smithy filling in where needed as the versatile quality player that he is

I think in tight games like against the OF I’d probably go for Smith. Atkinson can sometimes lose the ball in dangerous areas but thankfully most teams with the exception of those two don’t really have the quality to convert those mistakes into goals or clear chances. Smith is consistent and defends excellently. 

In games against teams likely to sit in, I think Atkinson linking up with McKay or Boyce or McEneff could be brilliant for breaking teams down. Smith I don’t think really has the pace etc. to do that. 

2 hours ago, OTT said:

I think in tight games like against the OF I’d probably go for Smith. Atkinson can sometimes lose the ball in dangerous areas but thankfully most teams with the exception of those two don’t really have the quality to convert those mistakes into goals or clear chances. Smith is consistent and defends excellently. 

In games against teams likely to sit in, I think Atkinson linking up with McKay or Boyce or McEneff could be brilliant for breaking teams down. Smith I don’t think really has the pace etc. to do that. 

Spot on

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Atkinson