Atkinson

22games nro

3 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

I was just reading the BBC match report and they first of all give MOTM to Armstrong, then McKenzie when you get to the stats.  Even more glaringly wrong, Atkinson is our lowest assessed player

What an utter farce of an organisation 

Those are based on user submissions IIRC, not actual journalists.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Sooks

• GinRummy

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Terrific strike for the goal. Looked a threat going forward (unlike most of the others) and can't recall him making any defensive mistakes. Well played Nat

I think we are just going to have to take our lumps with his defensive frailties. Hopefully he will improve and develop that side of his game the more he plays. 

Attacking wise, he adds so much more to the team than Michael Smith does. 

Natty Akka is first choice right back for me. 

Don't know if we can afford to play a defensively weak RB when we are already weak at RCB. Teams are overloading on that side when they play against us, to exploit our frailties there as it is. 

It is all about balance. With Halkett and Rowles out, we need to maximise defensive solidity and leadership at the back. 

Nate got caught out a few times at the start of the season. He took heavy touches near his first en box, he missed runners on his blind side and got caught under the ball on crosses (the Zurich away game in particular). Taking him out of the firing line was the right thing to do. 

Because Smith has played CB, RB and DM, as well as his extensive experience, he makes very few mistakes and is normally very good positionally. He has a very good radar. He has made sense when we are week at CB. What he does not give us is dynamism down the right flank. He chips in with assists and the odd goal. If he has time on the edge of their box, he makes the right choices. He gets into good positions. The downside is he slows play down relative to Atkinson. Nat is a really effective ball carrier. His drinbling might not be the most technical, but he has a high number of succesful dribbles per game. Taking a defender out on the right side of the half-way line creates space for the AM and RW and, when coverage adjusts to them, brings the switch into play. Id suspect McKay does better with Nat in the team. 

It is horses for courses. Neither are perfect. We have high risk/high reward in Atkinson and Mr reliable (if not spectacular) in Smith. 

The Black Prince
14 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Those are based on user submissions IIRC, not actual journalists.

I have noticed (and this is not a Scottish thing - it happens everywhere) that online football communities can take a set against a player, for whatever reason, and it takes forever to turn them around. They only see what they expect to see and so a reviled player can take years to change minds. It would be sad if those BBC votes came from Hearts fans.

And god help the player if they actually read some of things said about them - their confidence might take forever to rebuild.

jamboinglasgow
20 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

I have noticed (and this is not a Scottish thing - it happens everywhere) that online football communities can take a set against a player, for whatever reason, and it takes forever to turn them around. They only see what they expect to see and so a reviled player can take years to change minds. It would be sad if those BBC votes came from Hearts fans.

And god help the player if they actually read some of things said about them - their confidence might take forever to rebuild.

I find there are a lot of football fans who make a quick decision about a player early on and refuse to change it regardless what that player then goes on to do. So they could have a bad few games, the fan will describe the player as awful, never will make it and a terrible defender. Yet if the player goes on to be good then they will still refuse to change their mind (usually with things like "he is still a disaster waiting to happen") I suspect its to do with not wanting to admit they were wrong in the first place.

25 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

Think ,if players read any of these threads , it would be a running joke in the dressing room

2 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

If only we’d brought in an experienced RCB…

Well we never so stop greeting and let’s move on. 

2 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I find there are a lot of football fans who make a quick decision about a player early on and refuse to change it regardless what that player then goes on to do. So they could have a bad few games, the fan will describe the player as awful, never will make it and a terrible defender. Yet if the player goes on to be good then they will still refuse to change their mind (usually with things like "he is still a disaster waiting to happen") I suspect its to do with not wanting to admit they were wrong in the first place.

Completely agree. It's really odd behaviour.

They would prefer to have reactionary and ill-thought-out opinions on a player, and choose to never change their mind on that players ability/attitude (due to stubborness, I assume). Rather than being patient, open-minded and judge a player on merit.

I will happily call out a player if they are playing rubbish fairly consistently (eg sibbick), but I won't go overboard and say they will never make it as a footballer and not praise them when they do play well. I will see things for what they are rather than what I want to see.

It must be hard work being so stubborn and close-minded!

ScandinavianJambo
9 hours ago, CMc said:

It is all about balance. With Halkett and Rowles out, we need to maximise defensive solidity and leadership at the back. 

Nate got caught out a few times at the start of the season. He took heavy touches near his first en box, he missed runners on his blind side and got caught under the ball on crosses (the Zurich away game in particular). Taking him out of the firing line was the right thing to do. 

Because Smith has played CB, RB and DM, as well as his extensive experience, he makes very few mistakes and is normally very good positionally. He has a very good radar. He has made sense when we are week at CB. What he does not give us is dynamism down the right flank. He chips in with assists and the odd goal. If he has time on the edge of their box, he makes the right choices. He gets into good positions. The downside is he slows play down relative to Atkinson. Nat is a really effective ball carrier. His drinbling might not be the most technical, but he has a high number of succesful dribbles per game. Taking a defender out on the right side of the half-way line creates space for the AM and RW and, when coverage adjusts to them, brings the switch into play. Id suspect McKay does better with Nat in the team. 

It is horses for courses. Neither are perfect. We have high risk/high reward in Atkinson and Mr reliable (if not spectacular) in Smith. 

Spot on! 

On 11/10/2022 at 09:29, john thomas said:

Think ,if players read any of these threads , it would be a running joke in the dressing room

his goal to get us a draw , in the last seconds at killie, id give the guy a big break , and see what happens in the rest of this season, great goal , and a decent fight back, onwards & upwards.......fth 4ever