Atkinson

22games nro

Guest ToqueJambo
11 hours ago, OTT said:

I think in tight games like against the OF I’d probably go for Smith. Atkinson can sometimes lose the ball in dangerous areas but thankfully most teams with the exception of those two don’t really have the quality to convert those mistakes into goals or clear chances. Smith is consistent and defends excellently. 

In games against teams likely to sit in, I think Atkinson linking up with McKay or Boyce or McEneff could be brilliant for breaking teams down. Smith I don’t think really has the pace etc. to do that. 

This makes sense. Good options to have, plus hopefully Logan pushing them both next season.

Also like the idea of Smith as the RCB in a 3, helping and coaching Atkinson outside him.

Edited by ToqueJambo

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Sooks

• GinRummy

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Australia play United Arab Emirates in their play off game. Winner likely to play South American team for place at World Cup. 

16 minutes ago, Rockwell said:

How annoying is that constant whailing worse than a feckin drummer

I did not follow the link but I presume it was Liam McLeod on Sportscene

21 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I did not follow the link but I presume it was Liam McLeod on Sportscene

Why would Liam McLeod be commentating on Saudi Arabia v Australia

11 minutes ago, Rockwell said:

Why would Liam McLeod be commentating on Saudi Arabia v Australia

I have no idea but when you mentioned an annoying constant wailing that was the first thing I thought of

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Atkinson - gets first cap for Australia
11 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Australia play United Arab Emirates in their play off game. Winner likely to play South American team for place at World Cup. 

Peru, I believe. But they need to beat UAE or Lebanon in the play off semis first. C'mon the Aussies! 

Byyy The Light
On 25/03/2022 at 08:04, OTT said:

I think in tight games like against the OF I’d probably go for Smith. Atkinson can sometimes lose the ball in dangerous areas but thankfully most teams with the exception of those two don’t really have the quality to convert those mistakes into goals or clear chances. Smith is consistent and defends excellently. 

In games against teams likely to sit in, I think Atkinson linking up with McKay or Boyce or McEneff could be brilliant for breaking teams down. Smith I don’t think really has the pace etc. to do that. 

Nah, this is silly. All we have to do is attack the Old Firm and get in their faces.  It’s sh*ting the bed to think like this.

🤪

• 2 months later...

As I said on the other thread FIFA pay clubs for players who are in World Cup squads. Could be something like £600k if we have 3 players in the Australia squad. 

1 minute ago, briever said:

Two shit teams - please tell me they have to play someone else to qualify?

Peru

1 minute ago, briever said:

Two shit teams - please tell me they have to play someone else to qualify?

think they go on to play Peru (not sure how that works though)

Mick from Oz
13 minutes ago, briever said:

Thank feck for that.

Australia aren't good at the moment, but not helped by having a crap manager.

jamboinglasgow

Pretty poor game, two teams more trying not to concede rather than score (understandable I guess with the stakes.)

Tommy Walker

HT commentators saying Atkinson shown up defensively but played out of position...too deep...prefers attacking

Mick from Oz

Thought Rowles had a foul harshly awarded against him for what looked like a good tackle, been fairly solid so far.

Mick from Oz
Just now, Tommy Walker said:

HT commentators saying Atkinson shown up defensively but played out of position...too deep...prefers attacking

The manager is awful, seems doesn't  want Atkinson to attack so far.

jamboinglasgow
Just now, Mick from Oz said:

Thought Rowles had a foul harshly awarded against him for what looked like a good tackle, been fairly solid so far.

Yeah could not believe that was given as a foul. Atkinson is getting caught out against a faster winger but the shape of Australia is so flat it makes life difficult for him.

47 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

As I said on the other thread FIFA pay clubs for players who are in World Cup squads. Could be something like £600k if we have 3 players in the Australia squad. 

Didn’t realise that,   very interesting and the cash just keeps in coming if true 👍

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Vlad and Rodney were right all along about us signing World Cup players 

Edited by The Maroon Pound

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Didn’t realise that,   very interesting and the cash just keeps on coming if true 👍

Solid debut by Natty and Rowles wasn’t really troubled from what I saw.   Peru next,  good luck to them.  Be good to have a team to support at the WC…

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Didn't realise this either. Just read something there that says for this World Cup, there's a pot of $209 million that will be proportionately shared to the club of each player who plays.

It works out $8,530 for each day the player is at the tournament, starting 2 weeks before the opening game, and finishing the day after their final match of the tournament. Assuming Australia were to be eliminated in the group, we'd receive that amount for 24 days per player, bagging a nice $204,720 for each player they pick. Although, further to that, it's then divided between their previous clubs depending on how long said player has been at their present club. The current club will get either 1/3, 2/3 or all of it depending on their transfer history within the last 2 years prior to the tournament.

By the looks of it, assuming Rowles signs and all 3 get picked, we'd only get 1/3 of that for him, 2/3 for Atkinson and 2/3 for Devlin, with their previous clubs bagging the other share. Still, not too bad.

Unknown user
On 29/03/2022 at 18:36, Mikey1874 said:

IMG_20220329_183503.jpg

Those poor Aussies, their minds will pop when they try to give number 5 a nickname

jamboinglasgow

Think at one point there was five players on the pitch for Australia who either have played, are currently playing for or signing for an Edinburgh side.

Also both sides had in the squad players who could have played for Scotland (UAE have Ali Saleh whose Mum is from Edinburgh.)

Well done Natty and Kye.  One more match to go.

Personally, I think Cammy D is better than both of them at the moment.

1 hour ago, Sydney said:

Well done Natty and Kye.  One more match to go.

Personally, I think Cammy D is better than both of them at the moment.

Be great to see all of them in Qatar if Australia get over the line.  Bit like Hearts qualifying.  Hope they get there.

8 hours ago, Smithee said:

Those poor Aussies, their minds will pop when they try to give number 5 a nickname

Sainsbury=Sainso, Atkinson = Atko,  Jeggo = well, erm, Jeggo.👍

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Atkinson