Neilson ( merged )

jamborich

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

We do not do that though not unless there is not a nother option. I do not know where this stuff comes from it does not match what I see with my eyes at the game.

Some people cannot see that if nothing is on forwards you have to move back or sideways to try another way to build.  Alternatively you try a hopeless forward pass and lose possession.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Watt-Zeefuik

Byyy The Light

This thread makes my brain hurt. Annoyed at myself for reading it again.

Genuinely have no clue what people watch at games. 

Just now, Ex member of the SaS said:

Seriously? The reason we have no other option is Boyce plays too deep and Robbie only starts with one up front. The midfield pass back more than forward ( for the same reason ) 

You said our defenders pass it back and forwards between them but that is not some thing that I see happening very often and the last time I remember that happening regularly was under Sergio. 

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

So you would prefer to go route 1?

Occasionally yes! Mix it up a little and keep the opposition off balance. After the penalty Craig did a great move that almost got us a goal, fast reaction and fast forward movement caught them on the back foot.

On the other side Craig passes the ball out and we get closed down quickly and it almost cost us ( in the same game ) a mix would ensure they can't predict which way we will go and stop them flooding our defenders

Just now, Ex member of the SaS said:

Occasionally yes! Mix it up a little and keep the opposition off balance. After the penalty Craig did a great move that almost got us a goal, fast reaction and fast forward movement caught them on the back foot.

On the other side Craig passes the ball out and we get closed down quickly and it almost cost us ( in the same game ) a mix would ensure they can't predict which way we will go and stop them flooding our defenders

So you are saying we do mix it up?

Ex member of the SaS
2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Some people cannot see that if nothing is on forwards you have to move back or sideways to try another way to build.  Alternatively you try a hopeless forward pass and lose possession.

That is EXACLTY my point, we do not have attack minded players and with Boyce falling back it leaves no option to go forward. Robbie's insistence on a more defensive style ( due to being a defensive player ) means we lack forward movement.

Ex member of the SaS
Just now, frankblack said:

So you are saying we do mix it up?

Oh come on Frank! ONE time Craig makes a fast move and you are trying to twist it into we are an attacking team.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
9 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Yea yea yea, If you say so. Some of us want better for our team then boring, passing back and forth between defenders.

I want better from JKB than boring, same old criticisms back and forth between you, Bongo, Mitch, etc. especially on the back of a dominant, attacking victory over Aberdeen.

You've all more than made it clear that nothing RN does will ever be good enough for you guys. So, please, give the negativity a rest and let the rest of us enjoy what the team is doing well.

3 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Oh come on Frank! ONE time Craig makes a fast move and you are trying to twist it into we are an attacking team.

Tbh, you maybe had a point a couple of weeks ago but the negative passing is caused by 2 things imo, players not realising there’s a forward pass on and more importantly not having a forward pass to make. The second one seems to have been resolved by the change in shape which you’d surely give credit to RN for. 

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

I want better from JKB than boring, same old criticisms back and forth between you, Bongo, Mitch, etc. especially on the back of a dominant, attacking victory over Aberdeen.

You've all more than made it clear that nothing RN does will ever be good enough for you guys. So, please, give the negativity a rest and let the rest of us enjoy what the team is doing well.

Once again someone who doesn't read what is posted. I have said many times I was happy with Robbie's appointment thinking we would get the manager that romped the Championship. The simple fact that some of us want better for our team seems to immediately turn into Robbie haters and moaning old gits. If fans can't praise ( which I have ) and criticise the team when we see faults, what is the point of a message board?

We all want us to win games and ( in this case ) stay third but some of us can see the frailties and mistakes, something the back room and manager should also be seeing and putting right. 

2 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

We attack and defend that is how we are third with more wins than everyone else out side of the old firm and the only other team with a positive goal difference. When people have a pre formed opinion about some thing like this they often only acknowledge the one or two defensive passes and ignore the forward ones that set up attacks. Baningime actually completes quite a few forward passes that set up attacks but people do not seem to see this. Also Haring quite often finds a long cross field pass that leads to a chance and that is better than just lumping it in to the mixer.

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Tbh, you maybe had a point a couple of weeks ago but the negative passing is caused by 2 things imo, players not realising there’s a forward pass on and more importantly not having a forward pass to make. The second one seems to have been resolved by the change in shape which you’d surely give credit to RN for. 

GR if you had read All my posts you would see I have given Robbie credit for the last two games, my fear however is he won't keep playing that style. Certainly hope he does and have said before he won't get sacked but when his contract is up there has to be an evaluation and if over all things are poor then a new manager should always be an option.

19 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Yea yea yea, If you say so. Some of us want better for our team then boring, passing back and forth between defenders.

You do realise that the possession based game we've seen lately is because the opposition teams have dropped back 20 yards and camp out in their own half. Some might say thats a defensive shape.

It's a shape we've struggled against for years so you can't blame opponents for playing like it. Livi nearly knocked us out ot the cup, Hibs a clearance off the line and beaten by Dundee and St Johnstone playing anti football.

It works.

Football is about winning not your overblown sense of entitlement and made up gibberish.

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, Bull's-eye said:

You do realise that the possession based game we've seen lately is because the opposition teams have dropped back 20 yards and camp out in their own half. Some might say thats a defensive shape.

It's a shape we've struggled against for years so you can't blame opponents for playing like it. Livi nearly knocked us out ot the cup, Hibs a clearance off the line and beaten by Dundee and St Johnstone playing anti football.

It works.

Football is about winning not your overblown sense of entitlement and made up gibberish.

Barcelona play a defensive style but we don't have that quality of player, the majority of our forward play the last two games was mainly down to Soapy pushing forward through the middle. The rest of the time we tippy tappy back and forth, Soapy to the right and back to Soapy, Soapy to the left and it goes as far as the half way line and then back to Soapy. If you can't see that in most games ( with the exception of the last two ) then I can't think but you should visit spec savers.

6 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

GR if you had read All my posts you would see I have given Robbie credit for the last two games, my fear however is he won't keep playing that style. Certainly hope he does and have said before he won't get sacked but when his contract is up there has to be an evaluation and if over all things are poor then a new manager should always be an option.

Fair enough. 👍

The fact is there are some on this thread that would rather see Hearts lose to give them a stick to beat Robbie Neilson with... and the call themselves Hearts supporters🤔

Ex member of the SaS
3 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

The fact is there are some on this thread that would rather see Hearts lose to give them a stick to beat Robbie Neilson with... and the call themselves Hearts supporters🤔

TBF I think most of those are Hibs interlopers. Personally want us to win every game ( not going to happen ) and has been pointed out it's not the losing per say but the manner of that loss. 

I was not too fussed at losing to Sevco for example, as before the game I had us down for a loss, but even then we took the game to them and nearly got something from it, it was only a laps of maybe 10 minutes that gave them a win that did not reflect the majority of the game. As you will see I did not castigate Robbie or the team for that loss either.

So while some seem to think we ( I )  hate the club it's not true and only want the best for Hearts.

Brick Tamland
44 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

This back passing and sideways passing all the time is just a myth along the same pish lines of H1b5 are a flair team, and is not what I see at our games. 

I really don’t think you and the others who slaver about this boring back passing and sideways passing shite understand modern football. 

Passing forward all the time in theory is great and exciting but in the real world, the opposition usually have defenders and midfielders who stop this. Their defences are usually set up to stop teams doing that and to stop teams from penetrating and continuing to move forward and create goal scoring opportunities. 

It is therefore 100% necessary for us to retain possession of the ball and be patient and work to create space and eventually unlock the opposition defence and play balls forward. 

Usually this will involve probing one particular area of the field, usually a weakness spotted by the management team or the players themselves, but if it is not possible to exploit that and play a penetrating pass or dribble into a dangerous area, it becomes necessary to reset and attempt to penetrate another area of the field by passing backwards and sideways. 

It is this passing or recycling of the possession that allows us to switch things and then probe for weaknesses in the opposition defence. 

We retain possession really well, we recycle the ball really well, we may lack a bit vision at times for the killer pass forward which can be a bit frustrating at times, but recycling is a big part of the modern game and if you could look at it that way you will see tactically we are good at it. 

The sooner folk understand this part of the game, and appreciate the work that goes into it, the sooner the this we are a boring sideways and back passing team shite will go away. 

15 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Barcelona play a defensive style but we don't have that quality of player, the majority of our forward play the last two games was mainly down to Soapy pushing forward through the middle. The rest of the time we tippy tappy back and forth, Soapy to the right and back to Soapy, Soapy to the left and it goes as far as the half way line and then back to Soapy. If you can't see that in most games ( with the exception of the last two ) then I can't think but you should visit spec savers.

Some amount of slaver right there. . . Mind-blowing balderdash.

That's some doing on this thread but I salute you sir.

The SPL is a very defensively strong league as well if you watch some of the lower league English games you will notice that they are often quite poor in defence. So many teams up here sit in when they the better teams and it means you can either keep shelling it at their heid the baw defenders and get hit on the break or probe and pass until you manage to spring their defence.

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, Brick Tamland said:

This back passing and sideways passing all the time is just a myth along the same pish lines of H1b5 are a flair team, and is not what I see at our games. 

I really don’t think you and the others who slaver about this boring back passing and sideways passing shite understand modern football. 

Passing forward all the time in theory is great and exciting but in the real world, the opposition usually have defenders and midfielders who stop this. Their defences are usually set up to stop teams doing that and to stop teams from penetrating and continuing to move forward and create goal scoring opportunities. 

It is therefore 100% necessary for us to retain possession of the ball and be patient and work to create space and eventually unlock the opposition defence and play balls forward. 

Usually this will involve probing one particular area of the field, usually a weakness spotted by the management team or the players themselves, but if it is not possible to exploit that and play a penetrating pass or dribble into a dangerous area, it becomes necessary to reset and attempt to penetrate another area of the field by passing backwards and sideways. 

It is this passing or recycling of the possession that allows us to switch things and then probe for weaknesses in the opposition defence. 

We retain possession really well, we recycle the ball really well, we may lack a bit vision at times for the killer pass forward which can be a bit frustrating at times, but recycling is a big part of the modern game and if you could look at it that way you will see tactically we are good at it. 

The sooner folk understand this part of the game, and appreciate the work that goes into it, the sooner the this we are a boring sideways and back passing team shite will go away. 

Don't think I have ever read such urine. The problem is we hardly ever break down a defensive team unlike the bigot twins who seem to do it every game. The one and only reason we pass it back and forth is there is NO forward pass to make, mainly because our only striker is on the half way line ( along with a defense mined midfield ) and is too slow to get into the box. Boyce has goals but is in our half as much as in theirs and Robbie won't go with two strikers. I understand the theory behind probing football but we don't have that quality of player and when a chance arises we don't have players moving forward quickly enough. As I said before the last two games had Soapy driving through the middle and what an improvement that was ( we won ).

7 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Hazzuh, another poster with eyes that work and a brain that can compute whats happening on the pitch.

Good post Sir.

52 minutes ago, Sooks said:

We do not do that though not unless there is not a nother option. I do not know where this stuff comes from it does not match what I see with my eyes at the game.

Of course it doesn’t.

Posters like the one-note droning bore you are replying to only see what their minds have already decided. 

52 minutes ago, frankblack said:

What exactly did I make up? You are in complete denial if you think replacing the manager with another will bridge the huge financial gulf between the top two and everyone else.

There is every chance the next manager will take us backwards.

I really have said anything about bridging the financial gap…..just as I haven’t said we can challenge for the league.

Every recruitment for every position is a gamble……but it doesn’t stop us trying to improve.

You’d think I was asking us to pap SAF out the door here……all I’m saying is we should absolutely open to seeing who is available before giving RN a new deal.

If there is nothing better then give him a rolling 1 year contract…..and tell him to stop being such a little girl when playing bigger games and get goalscorers in the squad.

Brick Tamland
13 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Don't think I have ever read such urine. The problem is we hardly ever break down a defensive team unlike the bigot twins who seem to do it every game. The one and only reason we pass it back and forth is there is NO forward pass to make, mainly because our only striker is on the half way line ( along with a defense mined midfield ) and is too slow to get into the box. Boyce has goals but is in our half as much as in theirs and Robbie won't go with two strikers. I understand the theory behind probing football but we don't have that quality of player and when a chance arises we don't have players moving forward quickly enough. As I said before the last two games had Soapy driving through the middle and what an improvement that was ( we won ).

Regarding the bit in bold you should read some of your own posts on this thread. 
For what it’s worth I have more than enough coaching badges to understand the modern game, played professional for over 12 years and I am a fully qualified talent id scout and have recently done a fair bit of work with a couple of teams who are currently in the EPL.  I appreciate this doesn’t make my view necessarily more valid to the frothers  like yourself on here but it might give the background to my point a bit more credence.

Edited by Brick Tamland
Autocorrect error

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, Brick Tamland said:

Regarding the bit in bold you should read some of your own posts on this thread. 
For what it’s worth I have more than enough coaching badges to understand the modern game, played professional for over 12 years and I am a fully qualified talent id scout and have recently done a fair bit of work with a couple of teams who are currently in the EPL.  I appreciate this doesn’t make my view necessarily more valid to the fro there like yourself on here but it might give the background to my point a bit more credence.

I applaud your qualifications but question how you can watch Hearts and not see how negative we can be. Possession football has it merits but we don't use those to our advantage, as we don't move forward quickly enough to make it work, therefore we end up with boring sideways passing.

Brick Tamland
10 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Hazzuh, another poster with eyes that work and a brain that can compute whats happening on the pitch.

Good post Sir.

Thanks, I think the closest thing to football some folk on here got was watching their mum getting pumped by someone who played subbuteo. 

Ex member of the SaS
3 minutes ago, Boab said:

” get the ba' up the park ! “

Scottish football in a nutshell.

Lol, in certain circumstances it works, take for example Hibs when they had Boyle, they would boot it up the wing for him to run onto before diving in the box.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Surely this rests on who we employ ?

Also….I really don’t expect a title challenge. I haven’t even hinted at the this tbh.

Its not wrong to expect more…..it’s not wrong to want more either. I have stated previously that RN has done a very good job of taking us this far……but I have major doubts if he can take us up another level.

My point is simply this…..if we are going to have more money to spend on better player why would we not explore the option of another manager rather than give Neilson another contract ?

He is in his 4th job in just over 7 years and so far hasn’t managed 3 seasons……there is no rush to start giving out new deals.

Robbie Neilson isn’t the only man on the planet who can manage Hearts ffs.

Excellent post.

1 minute ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Lol, in certain circumstances it works, take for example Hibs when they had Boyle, they would boot it up the wing for him to run onto before diving in the box.

Quite.

Possession is better but, hey !

👍

Brick Tamland
2 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

I applaud your qualifications but question how you can watch Hearts and not see how negative we can be. Possession football has it merits but we don't use those to our advantage, as we don't move forward quickly enough to make it work, therefore we end up with boring sideways passing.

Your applause isn’t a compliment. I’ll stand by my post that you thought was urine. Reread it or get someone to read it to you and you might, just might understand it and why it is a tactical part of the game, they key to understanding it, is that often teams we play against have defenders, when I say often I mean every single team we play against have defenders and some are better than others. 

Unknown user
29 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

It's incredible to me that people watch the team every other week, it's a big part of their lives, they're into it, but they can't see these things.

I couldn't believe my eyes when someone started slagging McKay for a lack of assists and goals a wee while ago - what are people seeing?

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's incredible to me that people watch the team every other week, it's a big part of their lives, they're into it, but they can't see these things.

I couldn't believe my eyes when someone started slagging McKay for a lack of assists and goals a wee while ago - what are people seeing?

One team.

There isn't another team on the pitch. They don't exist.

There is zero comprehension that Football matches consist of two teams and both teams have planned for hours and hours to combat each others weaknesses.

In the minds of some, the lads meet up at 2pm have a wee warm up, Robbie tells them all to kick the baw about a bit and defend. Anybody can do it apparently.

Batshit bonkers.

19 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I really have said anything about bridging the financial gap…..just as I haven’t said we can challenge for the league.

Every recruitment for every position is a gamble……but it doesn’t stop us trying to improve.

You’d think I was asking us to pap SAF out the door here……all I’m saying is we should absolutely open to seeing who is available before giving RN a new deal.

If there is nothing better then give him a rolling 1 year contract…..and tell him to stop being such a little girl when playing bigger games and get goalscorers in the squad.

So you are saying we should sack RN because a half-assed plan making it clear he isn't rated and will be keep him on until something better turns up is the same thing?

Did you even think how ridiculous that sounds before you posted?

43 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

We are highly unlikely to bridge the financial gap between ourselves and the Ugly Sisters so 3rd is maybe the best we can expect - and that's where we are!

Recruitment is definitely a gamble and if you put all (or most) of your eggs in one basket you could finish up like Sevco with Aaron Ramsay ie money down the drain.

You must be naive if you think we, or any other club, don't look around the available market before extending contracts.  That does not necessarily mean they will take the plunge.  As for your GIVING RN a rolling contract I think you mean OFFER.  These things are usually a matter for negotiation between BOTH parties.

As for your last phrase can you give some idea of the person(s) you want or at least the type who might meet your criteria.

Edited by JamboAl

11 minutes ago, frankblack said:

So you are saying we should sack RN because a half-assed plan making it clear he isn't rated and will be keep him on until something better turns up is the same thing?

Did you even think how ridiculous that sounds before you posted?

I think you are super confused.

I will say it just once more the incredibly dumb……….

We should not award RN a new contract until we see how he performs next season and see who else is available.

It is my view he has serious limitations and I’m not sure if he what it takes to close the gap on the OF and increase the gap on those below.

We will probably have a bigger budget next season and an even bigger one the season after……do to continue letting RN spend it or  take a wee peek into the big wide world and see what else is out there before committing ourselves?

Is this really so ridiculous?

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

We are highly unlikely to bridge the financial gap between ourselves and the Ugly Sisters so 3rd is maybe the best we can expect - and that's where we are!

Recruitment is definitely a gamble and if you put all (or most) of your eggs in one basket you could finish up like Sevco with Aaron Ramsay ie money down the drain.

You must be naive if you think we, or any other club, don't look around the available market before extending contracts.  That does not necessarily mean they will take the plunge.  As for your GIVING RN a rolling contract I think you mean OFFER.  These things are usually a matter for negotiation between BOTH parties.

As for your last phrase can you give some idea of the person(s) you want or at least the type who might meet your criteria.

3rd is where we are…..but this isn’t all our own creation.

Hibs and Aberdeen have really blown it this season and never really put a string of results together.

We cannot stand still and expect very little challenge for 3rd spot next season or the season after.

1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

For all the Watfords, Evertons, Man Uniteds, Spurs etc etc etc is what should be saying. The list is long.

Only one club is successful hiring and firing and that is indeed Chelsea, with 5he added bonus of a bottomless pit of cash and about 300 players to choose from. 

There's others it's worked for too, but I'm not advocating hiring and firing. Simply assessing what you can get as you improve, the same as you'd do with players.

You're not going to say we don't need any new players next season? After all, the ones we've got have achieved well this season...why would you upgrade.

1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

Sacking managers is stupidity and proven time and time again to be so. Especially sacking good ones that have the club running smoothly and the results being above expectations.

Sacking managers can be stupid, or it can be great. 

Just now, DH1986 said:

Hibs and Aberdeen have really blown it this season and never really put a string of results together.

We cannot stand still and expect very little challenge for 3rd spot next season or the season after.

So Celtic aren't top due to them winning, they are top due to the other teams not beating them. 

56 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Of course it doesn’t.

Posters like the one-note droning bore you are replying to only see what their minds have already decided. 

You can almost start doubting yourself when you read so many people saying something over and over again and start questioning whether you see what you see.

kingantti1874
13 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

yeah so we strengthen the squad and look to improve.. 

we don’t sack the only guy who has made us credible in the last decade.. becuase that would be ****ing idiotic

ps - out point at this stage in the season would see us third in the majority of seasons 

Edited by kingantti1874

1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

That is EXACLTY my point, we do not have attack minded players and with Boyce falling back it leaves no option to go forward. Robbie's insistence on a more defensive style ( due to being a defensive player ) means we lack forward movement.

****ing mental to think we have a very healthy goal difference playing like that....

17 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

🤣 it is 100% our own creation. Had we not been so much better than the rest of them, the league would be a 8 team shoot out for 3rd place (like it currently is for 4th with 7 teams). The reason it isn't is because Hearts have blown them away over the season, hence the 12 point gap to our closest challenger. 

20 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I think you are super confused.

I will say it just once more the incredibly dumb……….

We should not award RN a new contract until we see how he performs next season and see who else is available.

It is my view he has serious limitations and I’m not sure if he what it takes to close the gap on the OF and increase the gap on those below.

We will probably have a bigger budget next season and an even bigger one the season after……do to continue letting RN spend it or  take a wee peek into the big wide world and see what else is out there before committing ourselves?

Is this really so ridiculous?

The only person confused is you who are living in some fantasy world, completely oblivious to how the real world works.

Your plan is something so ridiculous that the fact you believe it says it all about your intelligence level.

You haven't worked out yet that we employed people a year ago to scout as witnessed by the improvements in recruitment this year.

19 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Your first 2 sentences defy credibility: it's a bit like saying (but in reverse) that if Livi, St Mirren et al hadn't upped their game 2 seasons ago we would not have been demoted.  Did you think that way then?

As for your last sentence, I'll bet there is no manager or club that wants to stand still and expect very little challenge next season or the season after.  You seem to be alone in thinking we might stand still.  We will recruit, if only to replace loanees and Soapy, but as you quite rightly pointed out recruitment doesn't always turn out as hoped and for that reason alone we might drop back a bit: Yes/No?

It’s amazing how this passing the ball sideways in our own half led to 17 attempts on goal against Aberdeen. 
People see what they want to see and for some bizarre reason a lot of people seem to want to see us playing badly and won’t admit when we play well. The team were universally praised on Wednesday after the game, and within a day it was back to the usual suspects talking about how we don’t entertain. And a lot of them slaver on about 4-4-2 and getting the ball up front to a big forward as fast as possible. 

A_A wehatethehibs

I hope Neilsons new 3 year contract gets announced this week tbh, so this pish can get put to bed.

There’s absolutely no way that any running down of contracts will be allowed to happen. Ll

Get him tied down long term ASAP as we have done with some of his players lately, get his future secured till at least 2025 same length as Steven Kingsley.