**Official Heart of Midlothian v Motherwell Match day thread**

WDJ87

57 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Not doubting you but I didn’t see the Motherwell game - was it really worse than the performance at Pittodrie?!

Yes, awful. Pittodrie was bad, but other than 20 minutes in the 2nd half both teams were equally poor. Motherwell bossed the whole game at Fir Park. Luckily Watt is away and they don't do as well on there travels so think it will be comfortable tomorrow. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Bazzas right boot

• Harry Potter

• Geoff Kilpatrick

Takeshi kovac
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Lafferty and Isma.  I think Isma’s strike rate was as good if not better than Lafferty’s.  Both playing in much worse Hearts sides than this one.  

Boyce has missed 3 penalties this season and lacks composure in front of goal.  Not a sackable offence but certainly shouldn’t take another penalty (even the ones he scores are unconvincing) and with all the options we have up front now we should be rotating and he should be on the bench some weeks.  Our best performance of the season was one he didn’t play in and involved more mobile, pacy players up front.  

Likewise against St Johnstone last week - Mackay’s brilliance combined with Ginnelly’s pace.  I’m not advocating that Ginnelly deserves to start every week but he certainly deserves more game time and would be good to see what he can do through the middle maybe playing off Simms.  Henderson also needs to get a chance. For the first time in years we have options. 

I’m not one for going backwards but would love to see Isma in this side

7 minutes ago, Takeshi kovac said:

We played with a back 4

Looked more like this to me. Definitely changed shape 2nd half though ...

B6C38A43-557A-4654-8AE0-E5D841E4BE27.png

1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Lafferty and Isma.  I think Isma’s strike rate was as good if not better than Lafferty’s.  Both playing in much worse Hearts sides than this one.  

Boyce has missed 3 penalties this season and lacks composure in front of goal.  Not a sackable offence but certainly shouldn’t take another penalty (even the ones he scores are unconvincing) and with all the options we have up front now we should be rotating and he should be on the bench some weeks.  Our best performance of the season was one he didn’t play in and involved more mobile, pacy players up front.  

Likewise against St Johnstone last week - Mackay’s brilliance combined with Ginnelly’s pace.  I’m not advocating that Ginnelly deserves to start every week but he certainly deserves more game time and would be good to see what he can do through the middle maybe playing off Simms.  Henderson also needs to get a chance. For the first time in years we have options. 

Boyce has a considerable better strike rate than both of these players. Isma got 15 goals in 42 games and Lafferty 19 in 41. Boyce has scored 32 goals in 59 games. And if you take away the Championship season it is 18 in 31, quite a bit better than Isma and Lafferty. 

10 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Looked more like this to me. Definitely changed shape 2nd half though ...

B6C38A43-557A-4654-8AE0-E5D841E4BE27.png

It was definitely a back 4. If you look at the TV footage and pause the game at any point with Celtic in possession you'll see Ginnelly, Haring, Devlin and Cochrane in a straight line with McKay and Boyce up alongside each other.

2-0 Simms and McKay.

Lineup.  Who knows!?  Very interesting it'll be though.

I won't be there as have family stuff which is a kick in the crotch, but will watch it sneakily on JKB under a table - no, course I'm not looking at my phone, luv....

8 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

It was definitely a back 4. If you look at the TV footage and pause the game at any point with Celtic in possession you'll see Ginnelly, Haring, Devlin and Cochrane in a straight line with McKay and Boyce up alongside each other.

Absolutely was 442 and the issue was the midfield 4 sat too deep.  Can see why he played 4 at back, to basically close the wing areas, but it didn't work as the players shat it a bit.

Second half we were a kind of somewhere between a 3 and a 4 at the back, was harder to work out.  Noticed Souttar was taking throws, which kind of made me think he was now back at RCB.

10 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

I was at the game so couldn't pause it mate. Just noticed it up as a 3-4-3 on SKY in the boozer beforehand.

8 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I was at the game so couldn't pause it mate. Just noticed it up as a 3-4-3 on SKY in the boozer beforehand.

Not suggesting you had to pause it at the time, just looking back at the footage.

Luckily the YouTube highlights had a good example in the very first frame so I didn't have to watch any further.

image.thumb.png.6d2894bf709d52e91bffba17fdd3372c.png

3 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Not suggesting you had to pause it at the time, just looking back at the footage.

Luckily the YouTube highlights had a good example in the very first frame so I didn't have to watch any further.

It was 343 when we had the ball, Cochrane was pushing slightly higher up than usual during the first half. Then we went to a 442 

3 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

I don't watch the footage back if we lose mate. Delete it straight off the SkyQ ... once is more than enough!

Disser Pointon
40 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

2-0 Simms and McKay.

Lineup.  Who knows!?  Very interesting it'll be though.

I won't be there as have family stuff which is a kick in the crotch, but will watch it sneakily on JKB under a table - no, course I'm not looking at my phone, luv....

Definitely not a PHM when you're putting the anniversary stuff your face at Fazenda ahead of the match. Think you might be an undercover Hobo.

On 26/01/2022 at 22:09, WDJ87 said:

Whoo! First time starting one of these 😃

Let's get back to winning ways, play 2 up top... 4 at the back if Halkett and Smith can't make it. Simms to start alongside Boyce... 3-1 Hearts. 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Just keep Boyce off penalties.

Ford Prentice
2 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Not doubting you but I didn’t see the Motherwell game - was it really worse than the performance at Pittodrie?!

You could tell within five minutes we were going to lose. Motherwell  make it a battle and you have to stand up to them - we didn't. 

But they pressed really high so are vulnerable to balls over the top. Simms could be ideal for this one.

Taking the kids along tomorrow. After taking in our win at Tannadice earlier in the season my son has his first visit to Tynecastle. Looking forward to it.

Paterson's Tache
2 hours ago, King prawn said:

Barrie :lol: 

Not sure Sibbick is suited to playing in the middle of a back 3 - we really miss Halkett’s physicality when he’s not there

True, it’s a conundrum because Halkett has been so improved in the middle as opposed to left or right in a four. We need to make sure the opposite doesn’t happen when we pick his replacement. I think to some a CB is a CB but the jigsaw pieces have to be in the right place. we need to make sure we get it right this week

1 hour ago, gordiegords said:

Big simms will star tomorrow and run them ragged…..

Yup, we've had debuts before which we've thought "oooh we're on here".  Gnando and Tsolis spring to mind.

But Simmmmmmmms looked proper real deal.  Loved how he was just trying to run through people to get to the ball and he looked to have quality on it too.  Pure aggression up there is what we've lacked so it was lovely to see.  I'm throwing my hat on it and saying he's going to ragdoll our league.  He'll do too well for us to keep him!

Gino and Baz on the wings with Simms through the middle (or a fluid front three) would give us bags of pace but can't help but feel this is the kind of game we need both Boyce and Simms up front, Boyce is a good counter to the absolute hammer throwing that Motherwell dish out these days.

12 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

No pre-match press conference yet?  I haven't read any update re Smith, McKay's and importantly Halkett's injuries?

I heard that Smith was ok. He had some sort of spasm in his back which he has had before. Halkettt is going to be out for a few weeks apparently. Not sure about McKay.

Gordon

Atkinson

Souttar

Sibbick

Kingsley

Haring

Beni

Devlin

Mckay

Boyce

Simms

or

Gordon

Souttar

Sibbick

Kingsley

Atkinson

Halliday

Beni

Haring

Mckay

Boyce

Simms

We'll win by 2 either way.

4 hours ago, StirlingJambo said:

Stick with the wing backs but put Simms up top with Boyce. Boyce will be better with help up there. McKay in the floating role.

👍

3 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Ooh fancy... 

Barrie tho.. 😂😂🤣

That's Bazza's new hair-do. He's turning Japanese. 🤭

20 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Surely can come up with a better song than that ?!

That was the song that was always sung at Hearts/Motherwell games.

Surely you would know that?

12 hours ago, HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME said:

well McKay clearly clutching his groin , wouldn’t risk him before a derby. And Boyce can be rested also for the derby. 

Should be no resting anyone when we’re playing our biggest challengers for 3rd place! 

Back 3

Sibbick

Souttar (Moore if Souttar has gone)

Kingsley

Wing backs

Atkinson

Cochrane

Midfield

Beni

Haring

Front 3

Boyce

Simms

MCKay if fit (anyone of 4 if he isn’t - Halliday Mcaneff Gino GMS)

On 27/01/2022 at 15:33, Cruyff said:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Atkinson  Beni  Haring  Halliday 

McKay       Boyce

Simms 

Gordon

Sibbick Souttar Kingsley

Atkinson  Beni  Haring  Halliday 

McKay       Boyce

Simms 

Or,

Gordon 

Atkinson Souttar, Sibbick, Kingsley 

Beni  Haring 

Simms Woodburn Mckay 

Boyce

15 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

Gordon

Sibbick

Souttar

Kingsley

Atkinson

Haring

Devlin

Cochrane

Boyce

Simms

McKay (if fit)

Regardless of what I think is best line up, I do think this is what we’ll see tomorrow.  Covid and injuries allowing obviously. 

2 hours ago, CloustonHMFC said:

Gordon

Atkinson

Souttar

Sibbick

Kingsley

Haring

Beni

Devlin

Mckay

Boyce

Simms

or

Gordon

Souttar

Sibbick

Kingsley

Atkinson

Halliday

Beni

Haring

Mckay

Boyce

Simms

We'll win by 2 either way.

These are remarkable times, we have so many permutations choices available players.

31 minutes ago, kila said:

Looks to be a tad breezy the morn

Fortunately the wind is to drop from 40 mph to 20 by 3pm tomorrow.

Breezy but a bit more manageable 

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

Well bullied us last time. That must never happen again. And if anyone feels like booing , Jordan Roberts is fair game.

Is he not on loan until the end of the season? 

If so he won't play v us. 

Bazzas right boot
19 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

Well bullied us last time. That must never happen again. And if anyone feels like booing , Jordan Roberts is fair game.

Boyce is back, ball will now stick up top. 

Simms is a big lad too.

I know we've played some games without Boyce and done it well, however, Aberdeen and well bullied us and imo it was largely down to not having a proper centre forward available - too lightweight up top. 

10 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Is he not on loan until the end of the season? 

If so he won't play v us. 

They gave us a fee for him 

25 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

They are a bunch of thuggish cloggers so there could be injuries tomorrow.

26 minutes ago, Chillidigits said: