**Official Heart of Midlothian v Motherwell Match day thread**

WDJ87

StevenNaismith
41 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Regardless of what I think is best line up, I do think this is what we’ll see tomorrow.  Covid and injuries allowing obviously. 

Think Beni will be kept for Tuesday.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Bazzas right boot

• Harry Potter

• Geoff Kilpatrick

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

No.

3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

They gave us a fee for him 

Cheers. 

Watch him play a blinder. 

Just now, StevenNaismith said:

Think Beni will be kept for Tuesday.

Could be. After that game in Motherwell, I do think he’ll start strong and maybe take players off if we’re in a good position. 

5 hours ago, karipidis said:

Yes, awful. Pittodrie was bad, but other than 20 minutes in the 2nd half both teams were equally poor. Motherwell bossed the whole game at Fir Park. Luckily Watt is away and they don't do as well on there travels so think it will be comfortable tomorrow. 

Motherwell were terrible at Tynie - a shower of hammer throwers without a striker now.

Just now, GinRummy said:

Could be. After that game in Motherwell, I do think he’ll start strong and maybe take players off if we’re in a good position. 

He needs game time - maybe 25mins on Sat.

J.T.F.Robertson
3 minutes ago, Jumper said:

They are a bunch of thuggish cloggers so there could be injuries tomorrow.

We were utterly shite that day. As has been said, you knew almost from KO we were destined to have a stinker.

I watched it in the Kingsknowe and was beelin throughout.

27 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Boyce is back, ball will now stick up top. 

Simms is a big lad too.

I know we've played some games without Boyce and done it well, however, Aberdeen and well bullied us and imo it was largely down to not having a proper centre forward available - too lightweight up top. 

I felt Cammy and Beni were brushed aside that day and badly needed someone like Haring alongside to even up the battle. If they play like that again we have to be combative in midfield but with controlled aggression ie no red mist Cammy please !

This is a must win game for us. More important than the Celtic game IMO. Livvy might just do us a favour but we simply cannot go into the derby with Hibs with them knowing that they've gained ground on us.

Maroon Sailor

First time in 14 years apparently - even they were cup games

Edited by Maroon Sailor

I’d go with

Gordon

Sibbick

Souttar

Kingsley

Atkinson

Haring

Beni

Halliday

Woodburn

Simms

GMS

I get the feeling that Woodburn & Simms will complement each other well. McKay was struggling at the end of the Celtic match, so with the squad we have and the option of 5 off the bench, we should take no chances on fitness. 

Bazzas right boot
23 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

I felt Cammy and Beni were brushed aside that day and badly needed someone like Haring alongside to even up the battle. If they play like that again we have to be combative in midfield but with controlled aggression ie no red mist Cammy please !

Yeah, a factor. 

For me no stinker, no focal point was the big the issue. 

Sometimes need that in these games. 

2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yeah, a factor. 

For me no stinker, no focal point was the big the issue. 

Sometimes need that in these games. 

Ha Ha   we don't want a stinker of a striker

Think there'll be a few rested and a small change to the formation.

Gordon

Atkinson Souttar Kingsley Halliday

Devlin McEneff Haring/Beni 

Ginnelly Woodburn Simms

Do think they'll have Boyce/Mckay etc on the bench but might rest a couple before Tuesday. Probably hope Smith recovers and rest cochrane if they want a fresh 3 4 3 against Hibs.

1 minute ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

Gordon

Ginnelly Woodburn Simms

Do think they'll have Boyce/Mckay etc on the bench but might rest a couple before Tuesday. Probably hope Smith recovers and rest cochrane if they want a fresh 3 4 3 against Hibs.

If he's match fit I, think Simms will start.  

maroonlegions
23 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

This is a must win game for us. More important than the Celtic game IMO. Livvy might just do us a favour but we simply cannot go into the derby with Hibs with them knowing that they've gained ground on us.

The day i fear that shower of shite will be the day that hell freezes over.

FTH.

maroonlegions
4 minutes ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

Gordon

Ginnelly Woodburn Simms

No chance that Barry will be rested ... 

17 minutes ago, BervieJambo said:

I’d go with

Gordon

Sibbick

Souttar

Kingsley

Atkinson

Haring

Beni

Halliday

Woodburn

Simms

GMS

I get the feeling that Woodburn & Simms will complement each other well. McKay was struggling at the end of the Celtic match, so with the squad we have and the option of 5 off the bench, we should take no chances on fitness. 

Boyce has scored three in last two games - crazy to leave a goal scorer in form out of your starting 11 

5 minutes ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

Gordon

Ginnelly Woodburn Simms

That starting 11 would lose. 

To be clear it's not what I'd want to see. Just what I think will be the case. Mckay looked like he was holding his groin so I doubt he'll be in the squad. Bench at a push.

Robbie will take into account the number of midweek games we have to play in a short period of time but some of the chat about resting key players, presumably because we are playing Hibs on Tuesday is wide of the mark imo. We’ll play the strongest side available and take players off if we are in a comfortable position. We have better players and better athletes than Hibs and they can’t afford to rest key players so are in the same boat in that respect. 

Edited by GinRummy

10 minutes ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

Gordon

Ginnelly Woodburn Simms

Why would we rest players when tomorrow’s game, in terms of consolidating 3rd place, is more important than the derby. 

Yes we all want to win the derby of course we do, but tomorrow is also a must win game or the pressure really comes on.

All good though because tomorrow is a good day for Hearts to win, Hibs to lose, betting men

4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Why would we rest players when tomorrow’s game, in terms of consolidating 3rd place, is more important than the derby. 

Yes we all want to win the derby of course we do, but tomorrow is also a must win game or the pressure really comes on.

All good though because tomorrow is a good day for Hearts to win, Hibs to lose, betting men

If you think not resting players who have already played 3 games in 7 days isn't a wise decision as a manager then your deluded. 

I said before the celtic game Smith shouldn't have played as he played the precious 2. Low and behold. Injured.

Halkett. Injured.

Muscle injuries or spasms.

I'm not saying they should rest the whole team but if a player like mckay for example is carrying a knock. Why would they risk playing him in 1 game where he could them miss several?

Hibs will take care of itself hopefully as you say though. 

Edited by Ccjambo1874

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Robbie will take into account the number of midweek games we have to play in a short period of time but some of the chat about resting key players, presumably because we are playing Hibs on Tuesday is wide of the mark imo. We’ll play the strongest side available and take players off if we are in a comfortable position. We have better players and better athletes than Hibs and they can’t afford to rest key players so are in the same boat in that respect. 

It may have just been in the moment but it looked like Boyce benefited from having another forward in Simms playing with him.  It took some of the donkey work away from him and allowed him to actually face goal a little more and look to get on the end of things. 

I’d like to see both play tomorrow and start getting an understanding ahead of the derby.  On first impressions the vermin won’t like facing Simms one bit  and I hope the guy gets a start tomorrow to get momentum going in his game. 

21 minutes ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

Gordon

Ginnelly Woodburn Simms

Get that team straight in the bin.

Just now, Debut 4 said:

It may have just been in the moment but it looked like Boyce benefited from having another forward in Simms playing with him.  It took some of the donkey work away from him and allowed him to actually face goal a little more and look to get on the end of things. 

I’d like to see both play tomorrow and start getting an understanding ahead of the derby.  On first impressions the vermin won’t like facing Simms one bit  and I hope the guy gets a start tomorrow to get momentum going in his game. 

I’m also hoping Simms starts. Boyce has his limitations but he’s asked to do far too much. Only McKay has really helped take a small part of his workload off him. Simms will definitely help Boyce. 

6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I agree. I wouldn’t rest anyone but I wouldn’t be against a change or two for tomorrow. Mackay was a let down v Celtic(not the only one mind) but he slipped back into being soft and tentative which we saw early on at Hearts.  

Maybe a wee reminder he’s got to fight for his place wouldn’t be a bad thing?   GMS has hardly set the heather alight recently but looked energetic and willing when he came on v Celtic. Possibly this is the opportunity to slot him back in and see what he provides?   

Bazzas right boot
26 minutes ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

Gordon

Ginnelly Woodburn Simms

Nope. 

6 hours ago, KyleLafferty said:

It was 343 when we had the ball, Cochrane was pushing slightly higher up than usual during the first half. Then we went to a 442 

I always struggle to read a formation on video when you can't see the whole pitch much of the time, but the Hearts TV gents were calling it a back 4 after about 20-25 minutes of the first half, and that's how it looked on screen to me.

I think Robbie might have been trying to be just a little tricky, and lined up at kickoff in the 3-4-3, but then switched it pretty quickly. Celtic spent an awful lot of the first 10-15 minutes just kicking it between the defenders and the keeper without pushing anything forward, which makes me think they were a little confused about what they were seeing.

Then Jota decided he was going to put Smith on toast and we buckled.

1 hour ago, Chillidigits said:

Funny, though, Cammy was MOTM (according to BBC) at the Motherwell game at Tynie.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58688080

15 hours ago, daavojaay said:

Gordon

Souttar sibick Kingsley

Atkinson.                 Cochrane

Beni haring 

McKay 

Boyce.  Simms 

Best team we can put.out

I agree, however,  I would want Souttar and not Moor because I think it would be better for Sibbick, this time. It is ever changing.

Pasquale for King
46 minutes ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

Gordon

Ginnelly Woodburn Simms

Anthony Brown reckons Smith is out for two weeks. 

26 minutes ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

If you think not resting players who have already played 3 games in 7 days isn't a wise decision as a manager then your deluded. 

I said before the celtic game Smith shouldn't have played as he played the precious 2. Low and behold. Injured.

Halkett. Injured.

Muscle injuries or spasms.

I'm not saying they should rest the whole team but if a player like mckay for example is carrying a knock. Why would they risk playing him in 1 game where he could them miss several?

Hibs will take care of itself hopefully as you say though. 

There’s a difference between ‘resting’ players simply to give them a break and leaving players out for niggles.

I wouldn’t expect McKay to play tomorrow. Halkett certainly won’t play obviously. Smith probably not. And I’d swap Devlin out for Beni because Beni is a better player and needs games in his legs.

Strongest fully fit team available for me. Resting is for the summer when you have a small squad like we have.

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I always struggle to read a formation on video when you can't see the whole pitch much of the time, but the Hearts TV gents were calling it a back 4 after about 20-25 minutes of the first half, and that's how it looked on screen to me.

I think Robbie might have been trying to be just a little tricky, and lined up at kickoff in the 3-4-3, but then switched it pretty quickly. Celtic spent an awful lot of the first 10-15 minutes just kicking it between the defenders and the keeper without pushing anything forward, which makes me think they were a little confused about what they were seeing.

Then Jota decided he was going to put Smith on toast and we buckled.

It was 442 the whole game. Smith didn’t cross the half way line in his 15 minutes and Cochrane was up against their RB and looked a bit lost further forward. 
Atkinson got closer to Jota and he was subbed, I think his fake tan was running. 

Pasquale for King

With this being the fourth of six games in 18 days there will be more changes again, then freshened up for visits to ER and Ibrokes. It’s never easy to guess what changes he will make. 
Looking forward to tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It was 442 the whole game. Smith didn’t cross the half way line in his 15 minutes and Cochrane was up against their RB and looked a bit lost further forward. 
Atkinson got closer to Jota and he was subbed, I think his fake tan was running. 

I think you’ll find that is Jota’s natural skin colour seeing as how he is native Portuguese naw ?

It's a hard line up to call with Smith and Halkett possibly injured, souttar maybe having played his last game, and then if any of the new guys will start.

If Smith and Halkett out and souttar away, might be an opportunity to play a 4231. 

Gordon

Atkinson  Sibbick Kingsley Cochrane

Haring   beni 

Mckay     Woodburn    gino

Boyce

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I think you’ll find that is Jota’s natural skin colour seeing as how he is native Portuguese naw ?

No shit, you think he kept that tan in Glasgow these last few months? I work with someone from Portugal and she tends to lose her tan in between trips home.
He’s the spitting image of a young George Michael, except George was tougher. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Rocky jamboa said:

It's a hard line up to call with Smith and Halkett possibly injured, souttar maybe having played his last game, and then if any of the new guys will start.

If Smith and Halkett out and souttar away, might be an opportunity to play a 4231. 

Gordon

Atkinson  Sibbick Kingsley Cochrane

Haring   beni 

Mckay     Woodburn    gino

Boyce

Not if,Halkett and Smith both out for weeks. 

3 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

Gordon

Sibbick

Souttar

Kingsley

Atkinson

Haring

Devlin

Cochrane

Boyce

Simms

McKay (if fit)

I agree with that team

2 hours ago, The Tackle said:

Think we'll click tomorrow. 4-1 Atkinson to score his first and a boyce hattrick

I agree with the score and Nathaniel scoring.   Boyce to score one.   Two others...  Simms and Kingsley of course ☺ 

Windy day could see some bizarre goals 😂 

1 hour ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

To be clear it's not what I'd want to see. Just what I think will be the case. Mckay looked like he was holding his groin so I doubt he'll be in the squad. Bench at a push.

McKay trained today.

6 hours ago, Homme said:

Taking the kids along tomorrow. After taking in our win at Tannadice earlier in the season my son has his first visit to Tynecastle. Looking forward to it.

hope the wee man has a great day mate 

Horatio Caine

On a meteorological note... amber warning for wind in place for tomorrow.  60-70 mph gusts.  I think we need to pass to feet!

13 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

On a meteorological note... amber warning for wind in place for tomorrow.  60-70 mph gusts.  I think we need to pass to feet!

Is the game in any danger of being postponed?