What's Scotland's worst town to live in......?

Section Q

2 minutes ago, graygo said:

I've no idea where Rigside is but I knew Rab's mum Isa years ago and it's always stuck in my head that she said the family was from Douglas Water and Lesmahagow.

Edit: I should add that I haven't much of a clue where those places are either. 😄

Rigside and Douglas Water are two small villages on the A70 between Lanark and the M74 . Lesmahagow is just a bit further North along M74 andd is where Johnny Hamilton came from 👍

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Locky

• cookieboy

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Auld Reekin'

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doctor FinnBarr
2 minutes ago, graygo said:

I've no idea where Rigside is but I knew Rab's mum Isa years ago and it's always stuck in my head that she said the family was from Douglas Water and Lesmahagow.

If you drove through Lanark and turned right as you cross Hyndford bridge its about 5 miles along the road, Douglas Water is just a mile or so off it.

4 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Does everywhere in Lanarkshire have a ML postcode? Thats the reason I thought it was in South Lanarkshire.

yes mate , no worries 👍

1 minute ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Does everywhere in Lanarkshire have a ML postcode? Thats the reason I thought it was in South Lanarkshire.

Hamilton certainly does. But nearby Blantyre has Glasgow postal codes even though very much Lanarkshire. I have a feeling most of it is ML but some bits closer to Glasgow are G, including East Kilbride, the county's biggest town.

3 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

I believe Hearts have drawn a good few fans from South rural Lanarkshire for a while and I've always wondered if it's something to do with John Cumming.

I'm originally from Hamilton.

yes mate he is rightly a local legend . I still meet up with some of his family at matches now and again 

1 minute ago, cookieboy said:

Rigside and Douglas Water are two small villages on the A70 between Lanark and the M74 . Lesmahagow is just a bit further North along M74 andd is where Johnny Hamilton came from 👍

My memory serves me well then, I'm sure his family lived in Douglas Water but his mum's family were from Lesmahagow.

1 minute ago, SwindonJambo said:

Hamilton certainly does. But nearby Blantyre has Glasgow postal codes even though very much Lanarkshire. I have a feeling most of it is ML but some bits closer to Glasgow are G, including East Kilbride, the county's biggest town.

true enough forgot that Blantyre is G72 and EK is G74 and 75 both in SL , in fact am sure Rutherglen and Cambuslang are SL as well 

1 minute ago, graygo said:

My memory serves me well then, I'm sure his family lived in Douglas Water but his mum's family were from Lesmahagow.

:flagwave:

Just now, cookieboy said:

yes mate he is rightly a local legend . I still meet up with some of his family at matches now and again 

Great to know that his influence has lasted so long. Speaks volumes for the man.  I'm pretty sure I used to see a supporters' bus from a Carnwath company at a few away games in the 80s

Blood doesn't show on a maroon jersey👍

1 minute ago, SwindonJambo said:

Great to know that his influence has lasted so long. Speaks volumes for the man.  I'm pretty sure I used to see a supporters' bus from a Carnwath company at a few away games in the 80s

Blood doesn't show on a maroon jersey👍

yes I would have been on said bus . we only run a 16 seater most weeks now 

and you know the great man never actually said those words ? 

Edited by cookieboy
added more

3 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

true enough forgot that Blantyre is G72 and EK is G74 and 75 both in SL , in fact am sure Rutherglen and Cambuslang are SL as well 

They are indeed 👍 Even though part of Glasgow to all intents and purposes. The train into Glasgow from Hamilton stops at both.

Just now, SwindonJambo said:

They are indeed 👍 Even though part of Glasgow to all intents and purposes. The train into Glasgow from Hamilton stops at both.

as a delivery driver I should know these things 😄

Just now, FinnBarr Saunders said:

West Lothian, its the route I take to get to the M74 if heading south.

as does every artic on the road it seems 😄

1 minute ago, cookieboy said:

yes I would have been on said bus . we only run a 16 seater most weeks now 

and you know the great man never actually said those words ? 

I always thought he did! Got that one wrong then 🙂 Shame it's down to a 16 seater. I expect it's now swimming in OF, like most of the county.

Doctor FinnBarr
Just now, cookieboy said:

as does every artic on the road it seems 😄

On reaching Hyndford bridge I make my decision on what way to turn based on what way artics are going.

2 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

I always thought he did! Got that one wrong then 🙂 Shame it's down to a 16 seater. I expect it's now swimming in OF, like most of the county.

sure it was one of the journalists of the time . Cup Finals its bigger 🙂 .The OF unfortunately will always be there but I respect the local lads who follow Motherwell . 

2 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

On reaching Hyndford bridge I make my decision on what way to turn based on what way artics are going.

ditto 🙂 

On 06/01/2022 at 14:35, Locky said:

Hawick for me. By no means an out and out shithole, but a pretty shite place to live. I lived in Burnfoot (which I think was branded the worst place in Scotland to live when we first moved there) which actually is pretty rough, but the rest of the town is actually quite nice. Depends what you deem as 'worst'.

Lived there for 4 years and actually quite liked it, but far too isolated for my liking. 50 miles from Edinburgh via A roads, and not much closer to Carlisle. Despite Hawick being bigger than Gala, and further from Edinburgh, there really is **** all in the town to see or do, and what little there is mostly closes by 6pm. Not a lot of job opportunities either unless you're in constriction, agriculture or textile either.

Probably just have a pretty blinkered view as I've lived in the big city all my life, Hawick aside, but aye, a pretty dreary existence down there.

The decision to rip out the rail link was both short-sighted and disastrous. 
It left a sizeable town isolated and reduced opportunities and access to job offers.

It’s difficult to imagine a geographical area of similar size elsewhere in the UK being denied a rail link.

On 06/01/2022 at 19:54, Jamstomorrow said:

And yet "a day oot o' Hawick (pronounced Hyck) is a day wasted"  . . .  .  .  according to locals!

They are a particularly insular bunch. Would happily never set foot in the place again.

35 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

This thread is depressing.  Are there any nice paces in Scotland to live?

Plenty of places, Innerleithen for one, very low crime rate, no gangs, no major drug problems, nobody sleeping rough, no beggers, little to no graffiti, sure you get you're normal petty crime/vandalism and the occasional handbags at 6 paces at closing time but apart from that, the town is usually pretty quiet, clean and safe, last stabbing, I've been here 40 years and I can't remember any, last rape must be 25+ years ago and the last murder, I think that might even have the town historian stumped, it's a long time ago, if ever.  Most of the crime that is commited is from outside gangs from the Glasgow and Edinburgh areas & the North of England (Newcastle, Carlisle etc) and that's typically high end mountain bikes and farm equipment.

Of course you sometimes get arsehole neighbours, but you can get them everywhere, but generally Innerleithen is a quiet safe & clean place to live, especially if you have kids who can grow up in a place with fresh clean country air with lots of space and without the fear of gangs, it's not perfect not by a long way, but it's light years ahead of some of the other towns in the Borders and compared to the cities like Edinburgh, well there's a reason why more people move out here than move to live in Edinburgh from here.

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Where I am on lewis is good. I cam safely leave my house unlocked whenever I'm out. Not a lot of crime either.

9 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

It left a sizeable town isolated and reduced opportunities and access to job offers.

It’s difficult to imagine a geographical area of similar size elsewhere in the UK being denied a rail link.

Bo'ness, Grangemouth, Methil have no rail links too admittedly they have better road links and the first 2 have stations within about 3 miles in Linlithgow and Polmont. All dumps though Bo'ness has a nice cinema and one decent pub.

On 11/02/2022 at 09:08, Japan Jambo said:

They are a particularly insular bunch. Would happily never set foot in the place again.

They are sooo insular, it is the only town in the world twinned with itself!

On 11/02/2022 at 18:07, EIEIO said:

Bo'ness, Grangemouth, Methil have no rail links too admittedly they have better road links and the first 2 have stations within about 3 miles in Linlithgow and Polmont. All dumps though Bo'ness has a nice cinema and one decent pub.

Methil ( levenmouth ) is getting a rail link very soon. 

On 06/01/2022 at 11:34, Smithee said:

Yeah, Addiewell too. Shotts springs to mind.

Breich doesn't even have a shop, one big hovel of a place

On 11/02/2022 at 18:07, EIEIO said:

Bo'ness has a rail link!

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Bo'ness has a rail link!

It has a heritage line and a railway museum no scotrail services to anywhere. I lived there for 10 years 2007 -2017.

4 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

It has a heritage line and a railway museum no scotrail services to anywhere. I lived there for 10 years 2007 -2017.

Yes, it was a joke

On 11/02/2022 at 14:18, Maple Leaf said:

Bo'ness is sound, great place to have a dog, I like it.

On 11/02/2022 at 08:45, PortyBeach said:

I believe Penicuik is the largest populated town in Scotland without rail links.

3 hours ago, Section Q said:

I believe Penicuik is the largest populated town in Scotland without rail links.

Yes, it probably is. Penicuik has certainly grown in size in recent decades!

My point wasn’t so much about the relative size of Hawick, but of the Borders Region as a whole being without a rail link.

There’s definitely a case for a rail link to several more locations in my view.

Cairneyhill Jambo
18 hours ago, Smithee said:

Bo'ness is sound, great place to have a dog, I like it.

The best thing in Bo'ness is the road over the flints.

On 06/01/2022 at 14:38, Herbert said:

Don't do it. 3 kids by 6 different guys a midden of a house questionable dentistry and a over flowing cat litter tray 100% guaranteed.

Stiletto shellsuit combo👍

On 10/01/2022 at 20:53, ri Alban said:

Dug shite central when I was doing maintenance work there. Twice within an hour I had to hose my boots and ladder. 💩 🕳️

😂. Part of my delivery route is down the ferry. A lot of good people live down there but badly deprived, sadly. Funny as half a mile over the water is the extreme opposite. 

On 10/02/2022 at 20:07, SwindonJambo said:

I believe Hearts have drawn a good few fans from South rural Lanarkshire for a while and I've always wondered if it's something to do with John Cumming.

I'm originally from Hamilton.

I lived in Hamilton for around 10 years. Hamilton is one of the better towns in Lanarkshire. Shotts or Holytown would get my vote for probably the grimmest 

34 minutes ago, Libertarian said:

I lived in Hamilton for around 10 years. Hamilton is one of the better towns in Lanarkshire. Shotts or Holytown would get my vote for probably the grimmest 

It's definitely better than the majority of what's nearby, with the exception of Bothwell. North Lanarkshire is definitely worse than South.

I grew up in Silvertonhill. My parents are both from Blantyre 😳 and I lived there myself until I was 3.

1 hour ago, spirt of 98 said:

Broxburn when the Tymerets flats were still up would have rivalled any town. Such a horrid wee town. 

I stayed there between 90 - 97,the flats were some place to live,people chapping the door and asking for a loan of some bread and salt on many occasions,some pissed up women walked into the house and picked up the phone to make a call onetime. Craigshill is like paradise in comparison.

Jeffros Furios
57 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

It's definitely better than the majority of what's nearby, with the exception of Bothwell. North Lanarkshire is definitely worse than South.

I grew up in Silvertonhill. My parents are both from Blantyre 😳 and I lived there myself until I was 3.

There's some cracking garden centres in the Clyde valley and you're right it's a lot better than North Lanarkshire.