What's Scotland's worst town to live in......?

Section Q

1 hour ago, Locky said:

:rofl: 

To be fair, I seem to have got lucky. 2 kids to the same dad (all I seem to attract is single mothers these days), a quite nice house from the photos, her teeth look good and I don't think she's got any pets.

Maybe she's secretly got a c**k.

It's a honeytrap. She's gonna get her boys to rob you.

I sometimes do the buses around that area on a Friday/Saturday night and it's a warzone. Hoards of neds everywhere. All there is to do there is fight and pump and they have a cheek to have a holiday park.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Locky

• cookieboy

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Auld Reekin'

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jambo 4 Ever
6 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Do you visit Niddrie, Pilton and Sighthill often? 

I think you will pleasantly be surprised when you do, especially Pilton.

No not recently but a few years ago

but fair enough about pilton

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Lanark 

in Edinburgh the likes of Niddrie, Pilton and sighthill are not pleasant and the people there are not ones you want to hang around either 

I’m not sure you’d be welcome anywhere to be honest. 
As for these three areas I would live there any day rather than Leith for example. 

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

All three areas are much improved these days as you say. 

7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Pilton has some new builds beside the shithole bit, That doesn't make it a nice area. 

2 minutes ago, Herbert said:

It's a honeytrap. She's gonna get her boys to rob you.

I sometimes do the buses around that area on a Friday/Saturday night and it's a warzone. Hoards of neds everywhere. All there is to do there is fight and pump and they have a cheek to have a holiday park.

Jokes on them, I've got **** all to rob. :jjyay: 

Jambo 4 Ever
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’m not sure you’d be welcome anywhere to be honest. 
As for these three areas I would live there any day rather than Leith for example. 

Hilarious…. Not …..

why would anyone want to live in sighthill / saughton compared the leith? (Not talking about Easter road)

John Findlay
4 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Pilton has some new builds beside the shithole bit, That doesn't make it a nice area. 

I assume you are referring to the new flats opposite Spartans and the Ainslie Park Leisure Centre in Pilton?

1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Lanark 

in Edinburgh the likes of Niddrie, Pilton and sighthill are not pleasant and the people there are not ones you want to hang around either 

Sighthill? 😂. You’ve lived a sheltered life I’d you think sighthill is bad.

Салатные палочки
4 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

I've driven through Carnwath in South Lanarkshire a few times, it doesn't appear to have much going for it at all. Other villages in the area, like Forth for example are similar. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnwath

I did the Gala day in Carnwath with the pipe band a few times. It really is the arse end of nowhere and some of it is grim. We drank for free in the bowling club after the parade though but the locals were a strange bunch. I can imagine the state of some of them after that day. I was glad to get back on the bus. 

Jambo_jim2001

Langlees,stayed there for a while,had to roll up the back garden and take inside with the front step every night,I swear the bairns and the junkies were in shifts.lenny McLean used to be the Avon lady,the ice cream van was a converted warrior tank ,😃

20 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I assume you are referring to the new flats opposite Spartans and the Ainslie Park Leisure Centre in Pilton?

No my pal bought one of the new builds at West Pilton way. 

I was a postie up in Dundee for a while a few years back. The place is a dump and the natives are even worse! 

53 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Not surprisingly most of the true shiteholes are in Lanarkshire. I remember working for a week in Coatbridge in the 80’s and that was an eye opener. At the end of the first day we checked into our hotel and asked the person at the front desk if there was anywhere decent to grab some food. Amazingly there wasn’t a single place to eat out in the town. We ended up driving into Glasgow every night instead. Larkhall is a pit as well, everything you expect it to be. 
Moving further north Alness is a dump as well, full of people who moved north for rig work and then stayed when the work dried up. 

Reminds me of the Frankie Boyle joke, talking about Coatbridge, saying there was one Chinese takeaway in town called.....Buon Appetite !
🤣

John Findlay
19 minutes ago, Herbert said:

No my pal bought one of the new builds at West Pilton way. 

Ah just round the corner from where my ex wife lives.

2 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Lanark 

Please tell us what kind of people who ‘are not ones you want to hang around’ are actually like?

2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Please tell us what kind of people who ‘are not ones you want to hang around’ are actually like?

At a guess...twits !

:kirk:

Jambo 4 Ever
30 minutes ago, Morgan said:

If you have been to these areas you will know 

17 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

I know plenty people from the areas you mentioned. All good people. Lived in Niddrie for 3 years. Seen some sights, and a few characters, but never had an ounce of bother. Same with the year I spent in West Pilton.

Jeffros Furios
2 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Lanark 

Law is a wee dump of a place 

3 hours ago, Locky said:

Hawick for me. By no means an out and out shithole, but a pretty shite place to live. I lived in Burnfoot (which I think was branded the worst place in Scotland to live when we first moved there) which actually is pretty rough, but the rest of the town is actually quite nice. Depends what you deem as 'worst'.

Lived there for 4 years and actually quite liked it, but far too isolated for my liking. 50 miles from Edinburgh via A roads, and not much closer to Carlisle. Despite Hawick being bigger than Gala, and further from Edinburgh, there really is **** all in the town to see or do, and what little there is mostly closes by 6pm. Not a lot of job opportunities either unless you're in constriction, agriculture or textile either.

Probably just have a pretty blinkered view as I've lived in the big city all my life, Hawick aside, but aye, a pretty dreary existence down there.

Did you manage to learn the language whilst in Hawick.  :laugh:

3 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Lanark 

You should have been there in the 60's.

2 hours ago, Mister T said:

Coatbridge. Despite having three stations and one having the incredibly misleading name of Sunnyside. 

Wife's father was born in Sunnyside, most of her family lived in that area for many years, we still go through to Coatbridge about twice a year, however we just go from one house to another, which isn't too bad as the area they live in doesn't seem that bad.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Out straight away are smokers, people who swear or shout and anyone that doesn’t wear a mask at the football. As well as drug users, most Hearts fans and a bit randomly, Irish footballers. 

37 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Did you manage to learn the language whilst in Hawick.  :laugh:

I most definitely started to pick some Teri Talk up. :lol:

Used to come up to Edinburgh every 2nd weekend to my dads, and came back to Edinburgh talking with a right weird accent. Almost weegie-like when the 2 accents mixed. Hated it.

2 hours ago, Martin_T said:

I've driven through Carnwath in South Lanarkshire a few times, it doesn't appear to have much going for it at all. Other villages in the area, like The Forth for example are similar. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnwath

As it's known locally.

Dad was born there so I have visited a fair few times over the years. Mansewood Hotel served a surprising good meal and there was a great bakers at the other end of the town (Porteous) and that's about it (both sadly gone now)

Surprising amount of Hearts supporters up there apparently due to John Cummings dropping tickets off at the pubs on his way home to Carluke.

43 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Out straight away are smokers, people who swear or shout and anyone that doesn’t wear a mask at the football. As well as drug users, most Hearts fans and a bit randomly, Irish footballers. 

Am I misreading that?  They ‘are not ones you want to hang around' .

I've never met a Hearts supporter I disliked.  Mind you, I live in Canada, so we're quite thin on the ground here.

2 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Am I misreading that?  They ‘are not ones you want to hang around' .

I've never met a Hearts supporter I disliked.  Mind you, I live in Canada, so we're quite thin on the ground here.

Didn’t mean myself. These are groups of people the poster @Jambo 4 Ever seems to dislike.  

Edited by GinRummy

Hawick because it's that backward your watch turns back about 60 years when you enter the toon. I don't mind the place, I just don't like the people. 

Dundee because it's rundown, an absolute tip with rubbish everywhere, overgrown foliage, crumbling buildings, 19th century tenements which aren't fit for human habitation and there's a very visible drug problem. It's a shame because Dundee in general is located in a very nice place and there are very nice areas in Dundee. 

Jamstomorrow
5 hours ago, Locky said:

Hawick for me. By no means an out and out shithole, but a pretty shite place to live. I lived in Burnfoot (which I think was branded the worst place in Scotland to live when we first moved there) which actually is pretty rough, but the rest of the town is actually quite nice. Depends what you deem as 'worst'.

Lived there for 4 years and actually quite liked it, but far too isolated for my liking. 50 miles from Edinburgh via A roads, and not much closer to Carlisle. Despite Hawick being bigger than Gala, and further from Edinburgh, there really is **** all in the town to see or do, and what little there is mostly closes by 6pm. Not a lot of job opportunities either unless you're in constriction, agriculture or textile either.

Probably just have a pretty blinkered view as I've lived in the big city all my life, Hawick aside, but aye, a pretty dreary existence down there.

And yet "a day oot o' Hawick (pronounced Hyck) is a day wasted"  . . .  .  .  according to locals!

Салатные палочки
10 hours ago, AndyNic said:

What was that town called where "The Scheme" was filmed? Somewhere in Kilmarnock iirc.

Kilmarnock town centre, just outside the Burns Shopping Centre and bus station and the bus station concourse, is a joy to behold.

13 hours ago, cheetah said:

Central Scotland has it's fair share of shithole towns that are awful to live in.

Grew up in Whitburn, and had family in Armadale and Fauldhouse, terrible places.

Me to grew up Whitburn now live in the dale. Whitburn is a dump now . Full of junkies take away shops and nail bars. Late 80’s early 90’s Whitburn used to wild Friday Saturday.

fauldhouse is one of those places where the window cleaner uses a sander.

9 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Greenock and Airdrie are toilets. Coatbridge too, I believe, although I've never been and never intend to go.

As for Saltcoats, the only good thing about it is the view of Arran.

Worked in Coatbridge for 3 years in mid 1980s - absolute dump, then suffering badly from de-industrialisation from a heavy industry base leading to something like 50% unemployment at that time…. Seriously polarised in sectarian terms with its mirror image Airdrie as the opposite Axis of Evil😔Having said all that some quite decent colleagues with the odd Hamilton/Albion Rovers/Airdrie/even Hi-Hi fan!!

11 hours ago, AndyNic said:

What was that town called where "The Scheme" was filmed? Somewhere in Kilmarnock iirc.

It was in an area called Onthank. There are worse places in Ayrshire than that hole.

adambraejambo
5 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

The people of Livingston (we had a meeting) think you a walloper as well. Still waiting on Bathgate to get back to us. 

I joke of course , we don't talk to bathgate! 

Central Belt 1874

I'm not letting this thread go by without mentioning a few places I've got to know working in the criminal justice system:

Grangemouth

Alloa/Sauchie

Airdrie 

Greenock

I doubt there are any places though that could rival the numerous towns and villages that make up North and South Lanarkshire for being Scotlands worst town. The complete lack of basically educated people in some of these places is depressing. 

4 hours ago, Jamstomorrow said:

And yet "a day oot o' Hawick (pronounced Hyck) is a day wasted"  . . .  .  .  according to locals!

:lol: 

Aye, never understood that sentiment. A happy time in my life so only good memories, but really can't imagine going back for a day now.

Dunno about little towns but I’ve lived in all 4 major cities in Scotland (Edinburgh Aberdeen Glasgow Dundee) in my lifetime and Dundee was far and away the worst. 

millerjames398

Round my neck of the woods in Falkirk, we have in no particular order, camelon, the "bog" near falkirks new stadium, our very own Simpsons Springfield grangemouth, a few rough estates there Charlotte dundas court, in the scheme, bowhouse, the valley in stenhousemuir, carronshore, langlees done a brilliant trainspotting impression through the 90s😂 and the old mining villages up the braes, were rough as toast as well😂

millerjames398
16 hours ago, Savage Vince said:

Plains.

My mate used to deliver barrs juice to the shops in the plains, and said it was the only place his driver took a spare crate of irn bru, and another crate with empty bottles, to appease the large group of bangers that hung around there from morning to night 😂

21 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

I know a few people from Plains and it is a cesspit of backward inbred sectarian scum .

Plenty others in North Lanarkshire but this shithole is in a different  league.

I have driven through "Forth" a few times. Looks the absolute pits of the earth. Even has the red/white/blue painted kerbs.

What do folk actually do in a place like that? Its in the middle of nowhere!

13 hours ago, Jamstomorrow said:

I think it's a Borders thing, as I've heard the same for Peebles & Innerleithen.

14 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Hawick because it's that backward your watch turns back about 60 years when you enter the toon. I don't mind the place, I just don't like the people. 

Dundee because it's rundown, an absolute tip with rubbish everywhere, overgrown foliage, crumbling buildings, 19th century tenements which aren't fit for human habitation and there's a very visible drug problem. It's a shame because Dundee in general is located in a very nice place and there are very nice areas in Dundee. 

They don't like change as it's 'aye been'.