8 Elton John

9 John Lennon

10 Tom Jones

Appreciate going to get slammed over this but it’s only an opinion be kind lol

Showing your age chief 😂

A Boy Named Crow
4 minutes ago, jamborich said:

Definitely mate 66

Not much wrong with your list,  but it's definitely of its time. The idea of "the greatest" singer will be different for different generations, and even individuals will change their opinions over time. 

I tried to come up with a list,  but don't even know where to begin!

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

1 minute ago, jamborich said:

Actually saw him in a play in London 😁

I saw him in “ singing in the rain “ in London. 

19 minutes ago, jamborich said:

1 Freddy Mercury

2 David Bowie 

3 George Michael

4 Rod Stewart

5 Paul Carrick

6 Sting

7 Phil Collins

8 Elton John

9 John Lennon

10 Tom Jones

Depends if you just mean distinctiveness.   But Rod Stewart ?  Really ?    Distinctive vocal, yes, but nowhere near the premier league of top singers (imo obviously). Same could be said of Bowie and Collins too maybe.

Good to see you put Paul Carrack in there   👍 - fabulous smooth voice.  I agree with Tom Jones, George Michael, Sting & Freddie.

I'd suggest Michael Ball & Jeff Lynne    Maybe Matt Munro too (going back a bit). 

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Depends if you just mean distinctiveness.   But Rod Stewart ?  Really ?    Distinctive vocal, yes, but nowhere near the premier league of top singers (imo obviously). Same could be said of Bowie and Collins too maybe.

Good to see you put Paul Carrack in there   👍 - fabulous smooth voice.  I agree with Tom Jones, George Michael, Sting & Freddie.

I'd suggest Michael Ball & Jeff Lynne    Maybe Matt Munro too (going back a bit). 

Matt Munro was a great singer.

29 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Like I said only an opinion Rod Stewart was a legend in my early years was a big fan of the Faces..he’s still going so gets my vote 

36 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

If it's based on vocal ability you'd need to have Plant and Winwood in there imo.

Ian Gillan would get in, just ahead of these two .

16 minutes ago, felix said:

Ian Gillan would get in, just ahead of these two .

And behind Paul Rogers. 
You also have to consider great soul singers like Omar. 

If we're talking rock then Peter Gabriel is surely better than the artful dodger Phil C. I'd add Jon Anderson, Plant, Winwood and maybe Rodgers.   

38 minutes ago, Tazio said:

And behind Paul Rogers. 
You also have to consider great soul singers like Omar. 

Ian Gillan's vocal range surpassed Paul Rogers - and he sung better tunes 😉

20 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

If we're talking rock then Peter Gabriel is surely better than the artful dodger Phil C. I'd add Jon Anderson, Plant, Winwood and maybe Rodgers.   

Peter Gabriel's one of my favourite vocalists/ performers - but don't knock the artful dodger.

For a drummer, Phil sings Carpet Crawlers better than PG ever did - and that's a high bar.

Just now, felix said:

Ian Gillan's vocal range surpassed Paul Rogers - and he sung better tunes 😉

I’d dispute the second point Free had some brilliant songs and Bad Company as well. And vocal range doesn’t make you a great singer, it makes you a great technician. And I like Ian Gillian’s voice. 

12 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’d dispute the second point Free had some brilliant songs and Bad Company as well. And vocal range doesn’t make you a great singer, it makes you a great technician. And I like Ian Gillian’s voice. 

All subjective & personal. Very much have a soft spot fo IG

At school (late 70's) the word  "Gillan" was used as an adjective, describing  something esentially good.

Watching a lot of early Deep Purple live atm - his voice is exceptional.

1 minute ago, felix said:

All subjective & personal. Very much have a soft spot fo IG

At school (late 70's) the word  "Gillan" was used as an adjective, describing  something esentially good.

Watching a lot of early Deep Purple live atm - his voice is exceptional.

All true. 
I’ve always found on this type of discussion rock fans always claim their favourites are the best and technically superior. Especially if you introduce guitar playing to the equation. Which is pish. Country or jazz players are amazing technically as well. 
Singers with soul in their voice work for me, people like Steve Marriott and Chris Farlowe had great voices. Or Colin Blunstone from The Zombies. 

I P Knightley
10 hours ago, jamborich said:

1 Freddy Mercury

2 David Bowie 

3 George Michael

4 Rod Stewart

5 Paul Carrick

6 Sting

7 Phil Collins

8 Elton John

9 John Lennon

10 Tom Jones

Elton John can't sing.

Bowie was a great artist but not a great singer. There are hundreds who are better singers than Collins or Lennon, much as I enjoy their songs. 

Objectively, Tony Hadley is a better singer than any of those 4. I agree with the shouts for Ian Gillan and Paul Rogers; Rogers can still blast it out. Murray Head is another from that era who could actually sing. 

Paul Roger's

Danny Bowes

Stereophonics Guy...😁

Robert Plant

Tom Jones

Frankie Miller

Graham Bonnet

Dio

Freddie Mercury

Steve Marriot.

In no particular Order although Paul Roger's and Steve Marriot are stand outs IMO.

18 minutes ago, micole said:

Paul Roger's

Danny Bowes

Stereophonics Guy...😁

Robert Plant

Tom Jones

Frankie Miller

Graham Bonnet

Dio

Freddie Mercury

Steve Marriot.

In no particular Order although Paul Roger's and Steve Marriot are stand outs IMO.

you cant have Dio assuming you mean RJD as he was american not british

14 hours ago, jamborich said:

Like I said only an opinion Rod Stewart was a legend in my early years was a big fan of the Faces..he’s still going so gets my vote 

Aye, fair enough. He had some great songs with & without the Faces, admittedly.  Honourable mentions due too  for Paul Rodgers, Paul Young, Steve Winwood   &  Holly Johnson.     Overall, I agree with you putting Freddie at the top though - amazing power and range, helped by Queen's brilliant songs which showcased it.   👍

6 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Elton John can't sing.

Bowie was a great artist but not a great singer. There are hundreds who are better singers than Collins or Lennon, much as I enjoy their songs. 

Objectively, Tony Hadley is a better singer than any of those 4. I agree with the shouts for Ian Gillan and Paul Rogers; Rogers can still blast it out. Murray Head is another from that era who could actually sing. 

Disagree with you on Bowie.

Plenty of quality vocals especially from Hunky Dory, Aladin Sane, and Station to Station.  There are gems on later era albums too that get overlooked.

My personal favourite is Lady Grinning Soul.

7 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Elton John can't sing.

I can't believe that you think that Elton can't sing, IP.  :surprised:

I P Knightley
12 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I can't believe that you think that Elton can't sing, IP.  :surprised:

Ah'm Till Tandin!

His singing sounds like a goose trying to strain a particularly hard stool. Great songwriter but one of my favourite albums is called Two Rooms. It celebrates the work of Taupin/Dwight with covers of about 15 of their songs by a range of artists (Kate Bush, Oleta Adams, Hall & Oates, The Who, Dode Michael, Sinead O'Connor, Bon Jovi, Joe Cocker...). Every one of them sounds better than the original.

I could easily come up with 100 British males who are better singers than Elton.

No particular order:

Freddie Mercury (musically not my bag of tea, but an undeniably incredible voice)

Thom York (acquired taste this one, but there's just so something distinctively unique, fragile and haunting about his voice that just works and cuts through my soul. Plus I love his music.)

Stevie Wonder

Whitney Houston (again not my bag musically, but incredibly powerful voice with great range)

Aretha Franklin 

Marvin Gaye

Al Greene

James Brown (perfect for funk and a fan of his music)

Bjork (another unique, quirky voice that sounds lovely. Very hit and miss music wise for me though.) 

Last one's a toss up between Bowie and Prince. I'll go with Prince since I like more of his music.

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

No particular order:

Freddie Mercury (musically not my bag of tea, but an undeniably incredible voice)

Thom York (acquired taste this one, but there's just so something distinctively unique, fragile and haunting about his voice that just works and cuts through my soul. Plus I love his music.)

Stevie Wonder

Whitney Houston (again not my bag musically, but incredibly powerful voice with great range)

Aretha Franklin 

Marvin Gaye

Al Greene

James Brown (perfect for funk and a fan of his music)

Bjork (another unique, quirky voice that sounds lovely. Very hit and miss music wise for me though.) 

Last one's a toss up between Bowie and Prince. I'll go with Prince since I like more of his music.

Amazed how many of those people I didn’t realise were British men. 😃

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Amazed how many of those people I didn’t realise were British men. 😃

:rofl: Apologies for not bothering to read the thread title properly and just rolling with general best singers :facepalm: 

I started with 2 British Men and then seem have forgotten what I was meant to be doing. :lol: 

Edited by Ray Gin

Took the wife to see Tom Jones at Darlington earlier this year and whilst I wouldn't say he was my cup of tea, that boy can sing.  Has a fantastic presence onstage albeit his movements are a bit more limited nowadays.

You see a lot of singers lose their voice as they age but Tom Jones isn't one of them.

As I told the wife almost enjoyed that !!

I've always liked Johnny McDaid (Snow Patrol fame). Genuinely brilliant voice. 

Can't believe no-one has mentioned Mark Knopfler yet. Better known as a guitarist, but he can bloody well sing as well

1 hour ago, The White Cockade said:

Matt Monro has to be top 10

wee Don Estelle 😂

Matt Monro the best singing voice of all. Still love Rod though 

I honestly can’t think of any British male singers who I would rank as great singers as in technically / vocally great singers . I can’t even think of any classical or opera singers who may fit the criteria . Freddie ,Elton , Tom Jones , et al are what I would call performers  and can put on a show but that’s it .