***Official Celtic vs. Heart of Midlothian matchday thread***

martoon

Started Saturday's and we won so thought I'd try it again.

Hope Robbie Neilson doesn't go with the usual sterile tactics that he and, before him, Levein employed.

It doesn't work.

Play from the start the way we usually do when it's too late.

1-1

Edited by martoon

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Bongo 1874

• Hearts007

Bazzas right boot

Keep it tight, we could get something. 

Concede early and fall apart we might see our GD take a hit. 

Can't agree with the OP.  When you look at what Dundee Utd and St Mirren did to us, Celtic would take us apart.  We need to replace Ginnelly and GMS with Moore and Haring and bring I. Woodburn.

Frustrate them and look to hit them on the break.

1-0 Hearts.

Celtic are far from unbeatable. Just look at this weekend's match v Aberdeen. Granted, they missed more than a few good chances. But, their 2nd goal? I honestly don't believe in 'luck' but ... bleedin' typical. Trust them to bag all 3 points in such fashion.

7 minutes ago, martoon said:

Hope Robbie Neilson doesn't go with the usual sterile tactics that he and, before him, Levein employed.

It doesn't work.

1-1

It’s very difficult for RN on Thursday. If we leave ourselves open like we did on Saturday we’ll be up against better forwards than we were at the weekend.

Add an extra midfielder and drop a forward, play narrower and press high up the park, getting on top of their central defence, gives us the best chance of success imo. 

One thing I don’t want to see is trying to defend from the halfway line then inevitably getting pushed further and further back. That only ends one way. 

I'm on board with this. 2-1 Kingsley free kick & Boyce pen. Craigy G to collect MoM after saving 2 Celtic pens in quick succession. HHGH.

I'd like to see us go something like this team

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley 

Smith.                                Cochrane 

Benny

Woodburn Devlin McKay

Boyce

I've got a feeling Benny might be rested after being injured on Saturday. The guy's been nothing short of heroic but maybe Haring would be better for this game if we're being defensive or McAneff if we want to be more progressive. Attack might be the best form of defence against ratic  at Parkhead so maybe the Dundee United line-up again apart from Beni.

36 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Keep it tight, we could get something. 

Concede early and fall apart we might see our GD take a hit. 

Keep it tight? Revolutionary !

Id rather we analysed the shit out of them, identified their weaknesses (set pieces and crosses for a start ) and played in whatever way we need to, to expose that.

A bit of width with Gnando and Boyce up front as a 2 and an extra man in midfield is where we should probably go, but probably won’t.

Sit off. Defend deep. Trying to ‘keep it tight’ and we’ll most likely get a hiding, which could happen no matter what we do anyway.

42 minutes ago, martoon said:

It doesn't work.

1-1

Perhaps he'll employ the same 'sterile tactics' that got us a draw at Ibrox instead?

Das Viertel Hearts
37 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Can't agree with the OP.  When you look at what Dundee Utd and St Mirren did to us, Celtic would take us apart.  We need to replace Ginnelly and GMS with Moore and Haring and bring I. Woodburn.

Frustrate them and look to hit them on the break.

1-0 Hearts.

You had me at Haring!! 😄

3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Perhaps he'll employ the same 'sterile tactics' that got us a draw at Ibrox instead?

And a good draw Mr P.

Doesn't alter the point that our approach at Celtic and Rangers is almost always the same, as is the outcome: fear, terror, defeat.

Not suggesting gung-ho, of course not, but camping on the edge of our own box with a possession %age in the teens and 0 shots on target is not the answer.

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley  

Smith Baningime Devlin Cochrane 

McKay

Gino Boyce

We'll probably get boabied but ye never know. 

mickycameron98

It's always nervy the 1st 20 mins through there, it really is important to keep it tight early on and I would start Haring also. 

Not won there in 12 years however and possibly 14 years in the league I think. 

26 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I've got a feeling Benny might be rested after being injured on Saturday. The guy's been nothing short of heroic but maybe Haring would be better for this game if we're being defensive or McAneff if we want to be more progressive. Attack might be the best form of defence against ratic  at Parkhead so maybe the Dundee United line-up again apart from Beni.

Unless we are playing three in the middle, I agree,  it’s Haring over McEneff in this one. 

Bazzas right boot

I'd maybe play McEneff as well. 

Tell everyone to shot on sight. 

Hart is a fifa  98 type keeper. 

GMS to kiss the badge infront of the Punchbag Brigade after scoring in the first half.

Big Sexy to wipe his arse with a Celtic top after saving a pen for a Kyogo dive.

1-0 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley  

McKay

Gino Boyce

Not bad. 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I'd maybe play McEneff as well. 

Tell everyone to shot on sight. 

Hart is a fifa  98 type keeper. 

Here's one for starters:-

I’ve grown to be very pessimistic about parkhead visits, a draw would be a great result and keep us in touching distance 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Wee Mikey said:

Celtic are far from unbeatable. Just look at this weekend's match v Aberdeen. Granted, they missed more than a few good chances. But, their 2nd goal? I honestly don't believe in 'luck' but ... bleedin' typical. Trust them to bag all 3 points in such fashion.

Jonny Hayes clearing the ball with his weaker right foot 😱🤷🏾‍♂️🤔
Dodgy. 

20 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley  

McKay

Gino Boyce

Swap out either Gino or McKay and play either Haring or McEneff and that would be what I’d go for. 3-5-1-1 or 3-5-2. Need to push through the middle and play the wing backs high up the park. 

in saying that, I’m convinced Halliday will play. 

Concede early, push to equilise and concede a few more. 4 nil down by half time and play out the second half limiting the damage.

Standard fare. . . .😳

Fortunately there's loads of other games on the box to watch when I turn over after about 10 minutes.

Woodburn         Boyce

McEneff

Cochrane        Devlin           Beni           Smith

Kingsley      Halkett         Souttar

Gordon

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Swap out either Gino or McKay and play either Haring or McEneff and that would be what I’d go for. 3-5-1-1 or 3-5-2. Need to push through the middle and play the wing backs high up the park. 

in saying that, I’m convinced Halliday will play. 

Agree with 352 here. Gino has done well against Celtic. Him n Boyce up top with Gino running them in and out of possession.

Id play Haring i think. Set pieces could be important both ends.

We're prob not gona win but playing Halliday would cement that!!!

3 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Agree with 352 here. Gino has done well against Celtic. Him n Boyce up top with Gino running them in and out of possession.

Id play Haring i think. Set pieces could be important both ends.

We're prob not gona win but playing Halliday would cement that!!!

It’s a tall order through there and Cochrane still has mistakes in him, inexperience makes that a given imo. Nonetheless, he’s a better player than Halliday and he should start. 

InternationalJambo

3-5-2 at Celtic park will force us to revert to a back 5 for the majority of the game, see our league cup game earlier in the season. I reckon he’ll go 4 at the back for this one. 

34 minutes ago, martoon said:

And a good draw Mr P.

Doesn't alter the point that our approach at Celtic and Rangers is almost always the same, as is the outcome: fear, terror, defeat.

Not suggesting gung-ho, of course not, but camping on the edge of our own box with a possession %age in the teens and 0 shots on target is not the answer.

We've played at Hampden, Ibrox and Parkhead against the Old Firm since Robbie returned and not endured an embarrassing score line yet. Stendel went in all guns blazing and we got scudded 5-0 ...

14 minutes ago, kila said:

Woodburn         Boyce

McEneff

Cochrane        Devlin           Beni           Smith

Kingsley      Halkett         Souttar

Gordon

Not the worst idea.   I like it.   McEneff has scored there already and perhaps deserves more gametime in this one.    Plus he's got better closing down skills along with Woodburn.   Hard to drop Mckay though.    So it's Mckay or Woodburn. 

Of course I think we will go 3-4-3 with one or two changes to players.    The formation stays but it will get used tactically different. 

1-1 FT. 

Edited by HMFC01

8 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

We've played at Hampden, Ibrox and Parkhead against the Old Firm since Robbie returned and not endured an embarrassing score line yet. Stendel went in all guns blazing and we got scudded 5-0 ...

I didn't say we had.

Nor did I suggest all guns blazing.

I did suggest that our safety first approach gets us nowhere. It rarely does. We've lost already if Neilson approaches this game as he usually does and Levein always did.

Why don't people read what's written?

Edited by martoon

4 minutes ago, InternationalJambo said:

3-5-2 at Celtic park will force us to revert to a back 5 for the majority of the game, see our league cup game earlier in the season. I reckon he’ll go 4 at the back for this one. 

I disagree. We practically forced ourselves into a back 5 at parkhead last time. It’s not just formation, we seemed happy to sit back and trying to frustrate them, leaving GMS (of all people) as our outball. The formation is as defensive as you want to play it. With just Beni and Devlin in central midfield we’ll be over ran. 

InternationalJambo
8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I disagree. We practically forced ourselves into a back 5 at parkhead last time. It’s not just formation, we seemed happy to sit back and trying to frustrate them, leaving GMS (of all people) as our outball. The formation is as defensive as you want to play it. With just Beni and Devlin in central midfield we’ll be over ran. 

Yeah definitely I agree, the way we set out for that game was criminal. Didn’t help with the way Celtic played that day either mind you. 

Just a guess but I think he will try something completely different. 4-3-3 that can change into a 4-5-1 maybe? Who knows. Hope we get one over on them for once through there, it’s long overdue. 

Edited by InternationalJambo

6 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Not the worst idea.   I like it.   McEneff has scored there already and perhaps deserves more gametime in this one.    Plus he's got better closing down skills along with Woodburn.   Hard to drop Mckay though.    So it's Mckay or Woodburn. 

Of course I think we will go 3-4-3 with one or two changes to players.    The formation stays but it will get used tactically different. 

1-1 FT. 

I would save Woodburn for the bench. Maybe play Boyce and Gino up high to start and swap Woodburn for Ginelly at 60' or so.

With PostieBall we can be pretty sure they're going to come out of the gates and try to overrun us. Ginelly's pace could force them to track back a lot and make them expend a lot of energy doing so.

I don't think we should sit back the whole game by any means but the midfield absolutely needs to be solid for the first 30' or so, with enough up-field threat to frustrate them. If we can wear them down a bit, we can start pushing forward with our normal passing game.

1 minute ago, InternationalJambo said:

Yeah definitely I agree the way we set out for that game was criminal. Didn’t help with the way Celtic played that day either mind you. 

Just a guess but I think he will try something completely different. 4-3-3 that can change into a 4-5-1 maybe?Who knows. Hope we get one over on them for once through there, it’s long overdue. 

Aye, was looking at it purely from our point of view but Celtic played very, very well in that first half.

The only reservation I have with going to 4 at the back is Halkett, otherwise it’d be a no brainer for this match. 

Hopefully we don't implode after 20 mins.

I'd also keep Ginelly until 55/60 mins if we're still in the game. They can't handle him.

Fancy a score draw.